• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Killzone Universe: Complete Timeline & Backstory

This stuff has been around for ages and GG never take advantage of it. It's a fucking disservice that they throw this whole backstory under the rug in all the games.

It's a good job the games play so well but they really need to step up on the story front and not just give us, shoot the big bad higs every game.

I'd love it if the game after Shadow Fall had you playing as a Helghast.

rottame

Didn't they hire an actual writer for the story portion of ShadowFall? ...

I think the original lore was developed by Joe Dever, the author of the Lone Wolf series. Don't know about Shadow Fall though.

By the way, this topic is great (and paople should stop supporting those fascist higs).

This is such a rich and wonderful universe. Seriously a colossal shame that the games basically brush past it all with "here are these dudes, kill them and protect those dudes".

Chris_C

Would just like to say that I feel the story and setting in the KZ universe is ridiculously under utilized. The story in Shadowfall is interesting enough, but the plot and dialogue especially are so very bad. Moments
after the main character's father is shot dead
, the guy from Homeland turns to me and says
"well, looks like you're with me now, kid"
. Small example, but that level of attention to detail in the writing carries through the entire project.

I was initially so disappointed that I spent $60 on it, until I got into the multiplayer and started enjoying Classic Warzone.

JawzPause

All that time and effort in making a brilliant backstory, and it is portrayed awfully in the KZ games. Such a shame.
I hope their new IP does a better portrayal of its story than KZ did.

Chris_C

All that time and effort in making a brilliant backstory, and it is portrayed awfully in the KZ games. Such a shame.
I hope their new IP does a better portrayal of its story than KZ did.

Rumor has it their new IP is a fantasy RPG, I hope that they consider taking the lessons they learn there and making Killzone single player campaigns more akin to Dishonored or even better, Fallout 3, allowing us to properly explore the universe and lore they create.

EGOMON

After reading the backstory and timeline of Killzone its gonna be a huge loss if the series got discontinued i mean its really rich universe maybe a space RPG based on this universe should be made just to keep it alive and can be enjoyed by everyone.

Kysen

WOW what a write up, I finished shadowfall yesterday and had no idea what was going on. Now everything makes sense and damn that must suck for the Helghan getting their planet stolen like that. I never knew the story was that rich, always thought of it as a generic shooter.

Octacamo

Wow!!!

I am with helgan for this one.... Amazing story

stoopid GG if they would have shown or explain the whole story in their campaign, SP would have been ppls choice over MP.

Also too bad we never given the chance to play as a HELGAST in any of the SP campaign. Which leads many of us believe that they are the evil of this game.

Damn you GG!!!

Frologic

That was a great read. It's a shame such an interesting story is barely used in game, not to mention the annoying characters and bad writing. As much as I'd love to see all of this told more in game, I'd happily read some Killzone books that expand on the lore.

I support the Helghast btw. The UCN and ISA put them though decades of the worst possible living hell, a lot of their morbid suffering doesn't seem to be justified. I'm not surprised they want revenge.

softie

Wow, so many cool things to tell in movie sequences and gameplay chapters and they're putting out games with one-dimensional characters never sufficiently explaining what the fuck is going on? Holy crap how awesome the KZ series could be, if they'd give it into competent hands.

BTW fuck ISA, Helghast should win, they have more swag!

gkryhewy

"The Killzone Universe" -- hard to say that with a straight face. The franchise's title has always reminded me of a Simpsons parody title for a violent video game. KILLZONE.

Griss

Would just like to say that I feel the story and setting in the KZ universe is ridiculously under utilized. The story in Shadowfall is interesting enough, but the plot and dialogue especially are so very bad. Moments
after the main character's father is shot dead
, the guy from Homeland turns to me and says
"well, looks like you're with me now, kid"
. Small example, but that level of attention to detail in the writing carries through the entire project.

I was initially so disappointed that I spent $60 on it, until I got into the multiplayer and started enjoying Classic Warzone.

That moment was unbelievably bad. It instantly reset any expectations I had that the game was going to be good. Well, the whole opening chapter did that I guess.

Great read, though. But SF was my first Killzone and I didn't even realise that these were earth colonies, or that earth existed at all. How are you going to make all your new players picking the game up in a bundle care about the world and story if you never once mention it? Bizarre decisions.

wizzbang

Banned
I mean, really, they have a good opportunity to be different, to make an FPS game that has heavy story emphasis, instead of making it an 8 hour romp. I WANT to have 15 minute cutscenes if they are worth it, I know most would disagree, but I'm tired of running and shooting, and feel like a game like this can do well with their story. Slow the game down with non-shooting scenarios, allow us to collect deep intel, allow us to explore and listen to NPC's talking.

I miss NOLF and you're right.

Sorry for the bump but did anyone save the image timeline in the OP

as the image link is now broken and such a thing like that shouldn't be lost

Top Bottom