• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

angelic

Banned
There should be a rule for this thread, only bump to talk about how great the game is, Trico is, and to opine about the ending. Absolutely not for any more moaning about controls, camera, barrels, getting stuck, "dated design" (untrue), "ps2 textures" (bullshit), and so on. The game transcends technical nit picks, into a proper journey. Still one of the most mysterious games I've ever played...the technology in it (those weird cages, the head of the valley etc), the hinted-at lost civilisations, it's a complete masterpiece.

Shifty

There should be a rule for this thread, only bump to talk about how great the game is, Trico is, and to opine about the ending. Absolutely not for any more moaning about controls, camera, barrels, getting stuck, "dated design" (untrue), "ps2 textures" (bullshit), and so on. The game transcends technical nit picks, into a proper journey. Still one of the most mysterious games I've ever played...the technology in it (those weird cages, the head of the valley etc), the hinted-at lost civilisations, it's a complete masterpiece.
What is it with the more niche GAF subcommunities developing the desire for an Era-style echo chamber where only a certain subset of discussion is deemed appropriate because "i really like the thing tho"? We had the same in the Bowsette thread not long ago.

I have no stake as far as TLG goes but calling for the closing off of discussion is not the way to solve people barging in for a shitpost. Just report it if you consider it bad and the mods will reply ban if they think you have a point.

Last edited:

There is only one Ueda, and if you love his work, it certainly can feel beyond reproach. Of course not everyone will love everything, but if he connects for you, the connection is deep and impactful.

Mr Branding

There is only one Ueda, and if you love his work, it certainly can feel beyond reproach. Of course not everyone will love everything, but if he connects for you, the connection is deep and impactful.

END GAME SPOILER:
too bad he didn't have the balls to kill of either the boy or Trico for that impactful ending. The most dramatic ending would have been for Trico to bring the boy to his village only for him to get mauled by the villagers and die. Y'know, to say smth about human nature, bla bla

END GAME SPOILER:
too bad he didn't have the balls to kill of either the boy or Trico for that impactful ending. The most dramatic ending would have been for Trico to bring the boy to his village only for him to get mauled by the villagers and die. Y'know, to say smth about human nature, bla bla

That would have certainly been different.

angelic

Banned
What is it with the more niche GAF subcommunities developing the desire for an Era-style echo chamber where only a certain subset of discussion is deemed appropriate because "i really like the thing tho"? We had the same in the Bowsette thread not long ago.

I have no stake as far as TLG goes but calling for the closing off of discussion is not the way to solve people barging in for a shitpost. Just report it if you consider it bad and the mods will reply ban if they think you have a point.

Way to utterly miss the point. 1/ I wasn't laying down the law, it was tongue in cheek. 2/ the alleged "problems" of the game are done to death, anyone coming in just to say "oh I couldnt line the camera up on this jump" is about 2 years too late, and it's not a very interesting point anyway.

Put down your pitchfork, no one is calling to close off a thread, rather calling for positive thoughts on completely unique game, and one we were lucky to even receive. You may need to work on your comprehension of posting tone.

Mr Branding

DIfferent and utterly horrible, I'd have burnt the disc immediately.

giphy.gif

Right! If Ueda did this you'd applaud it, no doubt. Can't deny it would have been bolder than what we got
another happy end

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Right! If Ueda this this you'd applaud it, no doubt. Can't deny it would have been bolder than what we got
another happy end

Youll have to trust me, but no, I like Uedas games lots, but the story takes precedence. If TLG ended in the sour way suggested, I'd never look at it again.

Shifty

Way to utterly miss the point. 1/ I wasn't laying down the law, it was tongue in cheek.
Ah sorry I missed the /s that you didn't put at the end of your post.

2/ the alleged "problems" of the game are done to death, anyone coming in just to say "oh I couldnt line the camera up on this jump" is about 2 years too late, and it's not a very interesting point anyway.
I never said it was an interesting talking point, but there are going to be people coming to the game late and their experiences are no less valid for that. Besides, being uninteresting to you doesn't invalidate something as a topic of discussion unless I've missed a recent update to the TOS.

Put down your pitchfork, no one is calling to close off a thread, rather calling for positive thoughts on completely unique game, and one we were lucky to even receive. You may need to work on your comprehension of posting tone.
You do realise sarcasm or 'tongue in cheek' doesn't come across particularly well in text, yeah?

Between the "stop complaining about it", "the game transcends technical nit picks" and "it's a masterpiece" your post comes across as fanboyism.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Well, I see. As stated earlier, I'm also a fan of Ueda and Team Ico's work and I'm sure he went for this end because everyone was speculating how the
beast would die at the end
when the game was in production. I still remember those threads back then.
I'm not saying I didn't like it, because it was heart-warming but a more dramatic ending would have been more memorable, I think.

angelic

Banned
Well, I see. As stated earlier, I'm also a fan of Ueda and Team Ico's work and I'm sure he went for this end because everyone was speculating how the
beast would die at the end
when the game was in production. I still remember those threads back then.
I'm not saying I didn't like it, because it was heart-warming but a more dramatic ending would have been more memorable, I think.

I would have hated it. I needed TLG to end well, and was incredibly relieved it mostly did. Although it still made me sad.

I was shitting on this game so bad before release simply because I lost faith in it by being delayed numerously. I played it a year later after final release and... I was hooked. Guess i needed something more relaxing, the world was a typical dream like place you would escape to. The music, wind sounds, birds it all made a zen like ambience. I knee already about clunky controls but it wasnt as bad as people were making it sound. Maybe twice it took more effort to move Trico but other than that it was smooth sailing.

A flawed game but of you need to escape your reality and relax and enjoy a game, this is it. The enemies are not many but as you said they can be creepy.

manfestival

On a scale of 1-10(10 being sobbing uncontrollably) how sad this this game? I was considering picking it up from my roommate but this has been second guessing even playing the game.

sol_bad

I finished this game a couple of nights ago for the first time and really enjoyed my first play through. The laggy controls were not an issue for me as they are similar in Ico and SotC. The biggest issue I had was with the camera, again it moves in a similar manner to SotC but they way it moved felt better suited for a wide open environment. I seemed to keep overshooting where I was aiming to look.

The graphics are interesting, in terms of the environment they look really nice but at the same time also feel like it is from last generation. We all know it started life on the PS3 and with the way it's performance runs on the PS4, there was no way in hell it would have worked on PS3. When they changed platforms I highly doubt they started from scratch and more than likely used the same assets from the PS3 developed version. The geometry is certainly more advanced than what the PS3 could handle in my opinion.

I can agree with what someone said a bit earlier, it does feel like the grab/stamina bar from SotC should have been implemented here. The game even has the lizards from SotC for extending your stamina bar (or was that for your health?). I can definitely see a problem though if it were implemented. There are a few scenes where you are on Trico's back for an extended period of time and so if you fell off it would mean insta death. You don't want a player to be stuck in an area as they haven't spent time increasing their stamina. And if there was no stamina increasing mechanic the whole thing would be pointless as the developers would just have to ensure the stamina bar lasted for whatever length is needed for Trico jumping from pillar to pillar.

I didn't mind that the platforming wasn't as in depth as Ico, I still really enjoyed my time with Trico. I didn't have too much trouble with him throughout my first play through. I do wish the Trico jumping parts were a bit more interactive but I have absolutely no idea how or what could be done to improve those sections.

On my second play through hunting down trophies and unfortunately this makes the game an absolute chore to play. It's so insane that trophies can turn a beautiful enjoyable experience in to a frustrating experience. There was a barrel up behind a waterfall and it took me at least 20+ minutes to get it, I was able to get Trico in the right position but every time I got to his neck he would start walking away towards the next objective. AND THE HINTS, holy shit the hints, they are just outright broken and don't always trigger. I waited 30+ minutes for a hint and the narrator still didn't say it, checcked Google and found out that there were 3 specific hints that are glitched and you need to restart your game for it to work. I think the game required a little bit more Q&A.

Overall, very enjoyable experience and the ending made me tear up a tad.

angelic

Banned
I deliberately didn't go back for trophies, seeing as 1/ trophies are shit, and 2/ I didnt want to reduce the story to it's component parts...for example, the bit where you find Trico is playing in water for the 1st time, would just end up as that bit where I searched for some secret for an hour. Keep them out of story book adventure games like this, for me anyway.

I deliberately didn't go back for trophies, seeing as 1/ trophies are shit, and 2/ I didnt want to reduce the story to it's component parts...for example, the bit where you find Trico is playing in water for the 1st time, would just end up as that bit where I searched for some secret for an hour. Keep them out of story book adventure games like this, for me anyway.

If any games should not have trophies, it's Ueda's imo. The two just don't fit together. I'm not a big trophy guy to begin with, but I can get into them on a rare occasion. But even the idea of looking for a trophy, an extrinsic reward, in one of his works would sully the overall experience for me.

The only issue I had with TLG was the overuse of contextual prompts. They just felt clumsy and at odds with the rest of the experience. Tell me once - I got it. (Better yet, have a brief tutorial outlining things prior to the game proper if you want or put a small card / insert in the box and leave the game free of them.)

Mr Branding

I can agree with the last two posts. I finished the game and I'm barely at 7% trophies. I'm not one to care for those things but like synchronicity synchronicity mentioned, trophies would ruin the experience and would make the game feel like a chore.

angelic

Banned
Very true re: prompts, you don't need them after an hour, never mind throughout. I wish they patched them out, games like TLG should have minimal hud elements as possible.

I can agree with the last two posts. I finished the game and I'm barely at 7% trophies. I'm not one to care for those things but like synchronicity synchronicity mentioned, trophies would ruin the experience and would make the game feel like a chore.

I don't know about that. For me they get me to explore parts of the world or game I would have never seen before.

I played through TLG twice. Second time for trophies. And I definitely found neat stuff I didnt see my first run. Or doing things I didn't even know was possible. Because they are optional.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The beginning of this game was so cool. Unfortunately, I am finding the rest of it to be borderline unplayable.

The input lag is absolutely atrocious. You want to move the camera, so you press the right joy stick, and then what seems like a full half second later, it finally moves. Every jump, every correction, every input that goes into the game is so incredibly delayed that adding it on top of the already very long and clunky animations makes it feel so frustrating. And then you add on top of all that the fact that CatDogMan is fucking clueless about what you actually want to jump to.

There's this early section where he will stand up while you're on his head to bring you up to this chain you need to grab. So you do the annoying and clunky climb up his body, you wait 45 seconds for him to finally start the animation of standing up on his hind legs, and then when he gets close enough to the chain for you to grab it, his head pushes the fucking chain out of the way. This one jump/grab took me so many tries. I think you can even get up there from another spot on the wall, but I couldn't get CatDogMan to stay put long enough to jump off of him to get to the ledge. He just kept walking back the chain the second I grabbed onto a leg.

I was going to make a LTTP thread after I beat it, but I don't know how much more I can take.

Last edited:
Last Guardian has one of the best AI systems in all gaming history. And the way developers based all game on these mechanics made Last Guardian a great experience in my opinion

sublimit

Banned
The beginning of this game was so cool. Unfortunately, I am finding the rest of it to be borderline unplayable.

The input lag is absolutely atrocious. You want to move the camera, so you press the right joy stick, and then what seems like a full half second later, it finally moves. Every jump, every correction, every input that goes into the game is so incredibly delayed that adding it on top of the already very long and clunky animations makes it feel so frustrating. And then you add on top of all that the fact that CatDogMan is fucking clueless about what you actually want to jump to.

There's this early section where he will stand up while you're on his head to bring you up to this chain you need to grab. So you do the annoying and clunky climb up his body, you wait 45 seconds for him to finally start the animation of standing up on his hind legs, and then when he gets close enough to the chain for you to grab it, his head pushes the fucking chain out of the way. This one jump/grab took me so many tries. I think you can even get up there from another spot on the wall, but I couldn't get CatDogMan to stay put long enough to jump off of him to get to the ledge. He just kept walking back the chain the second I grabbed onto a leg.

I was going to make a LTTP thread after I beat it, but I don't know how much more I can take.
What you say is like describing a completely different game from the one i played.

Grinchy

Banned
What you say is like describing a completely different game from the one i played.
Well I would have loved to own the make believe version you bought because this ended up being one of the worst games I've ever attempted to play 😂

I gave it 2 more chances and every session ends with some frustratingly broken segment that no other developer could get away with shipping as a final product. Just a huge disappointment.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Team ICO doesn't have mass appeal like some other games, I personally loved all their games but it just not for most people. Its kind of same story with Gravity Rush series it my one my favourite games out there but there are people who never got used to the controls for that game.

Last edited:

Three

Well I would have loved to own the make believe version you bought because this ended up being one of the worst games I've ever attempted to play 😂

I gave it 2 more chances and every session ends with some frustratingly broken segment that no other developer could get away with shipping as a final product. Just a huge disappointment.
I've got to say I had my fair share of frustration with the camera too but still loved the game nonetheless.

sublimit

Banned
Team ICO doesn't have mass appeal some other games, I personally loved all their games but it just not for most people. Its kind of same story with Gravity Rush series it my one my favourite games out there but there are people who never got used the controls for that game.
You are probably going to hate me for saying this ( :p ) but i haven't played much of GR2 (just the first few hours,it's still in my backlog of shame) but i played lots of GR1 on Vita and loved the game up until that chapter where Kat looses all her powers and the game suddenly became broken for me and it annoyed me so much that it made me quit the game (and i very rarely quit games).
And that was a shame really because up until that point i loved the gameplay and the art style was just gorgeous to look at on my OLED Vita screen! I really hope there's no such chapter in GR2 or if there is at least i hope it's more playable than in GR1.
I honestly can't think of anything like that in any Team Ico games.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This developer put out game with terrible controls including some of the worst input lag in any full release game I've ever seen.

No matter how much I loved Ico and SOTC, I can't delude myself into some weird level of tolerance for what is an objectively broken game. Put aside all the things that are clearly and factually wrong with this game for the sake of your fandom of this developer if you want, but some subconscious part of your brain does realize that you're just giving it allowances you wouldn't normally give.

Danjin44

You are probably going to hate me for saying this ( :p ) but i haven't played much of GR2 (just the first few hours,it's still in my backlog of shame) but i played lots of GR1 on Vita and loved the game up until that chapter where Kat looses all her powers and the game suddenly became broken for me and it annoyed me so much that it made me quit the game (and i very rarely quit games).
And that was a shame really because up until that point i loved the gameplay and the art style was just gorgeous to look at on my OLED Vita screen! I really hope there's no such chapter in GR2 or if there is at least i hope it's more playable than in GR1.
I honestly can't think of anything like that in any Team Ico games.
tumblr_ncr75k72LQ1s5f9ado1_250.gif

How dare you!! /s

"Joking? " aside, thats my point most Studio Japan games will appeal to different people, in that sense Team ICO is the same, some people are just not going be in to those games.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I just love it when some people are trying to force their beliefs on others and justify those beliefs by making naive assumptions about the other side of the argument. I honestly have nothing to say to people like that since there is no middle ground where we can try to discuss our different opinions.
What's even funnier is that they think (without even discussing it) that their opinion is the "objective" one and "that's a fact"! :D

Last edited:

Danjin44

I just love it when some people are trying to force their beliefs on others and justify those beliefs by making naive assumptions about the other side of the argument. I honestly have nothing to say to people like that since there is no middle ground where we can try to discuss our different opinions.
According to some people here discussing "opinion" is not fun, to them more fun being hyperbolic about everything.

sublimit

Banned
According to some people here discussing "opinion" is not fun, to them more fun being hyperbolic about everything.
I honestly don't understand how some people think that just because someone loved the previous works of a developer that OBVIOUSLY MEANS they're biased on every work he makes after that. It's like because those people didn't liked that developer's game everyone else who likes that said game are obviously blind,biased fanboys.
I mean honestly,what can you say to someone with a mentality like that?

Stuart360

Say what you want about the game, but it sure gave us an entertaining playthrough by DSP. Seeing him trying to get the dog to go in the direction he wants, well its priceless lol.

Hestar69

The camera in this game at points was horrible, but I loved the hell out of this game(One of my favorites this gen). I loved ICO,never played shadow but I hear it's amazing. The creator left the studio right? So no more games by them I suppose :(.

I never had any problems making Trico do things, but then again I treated Trico as a pet I was on a journey with and not as a robot I issued commands to.

The Last Guardian remains one of only two games this gen I think of legitimate works of art and true masterpieces. The other is Nier Automata.

Psykodad

Banned
I never had any problems making Trico do things, but then again I treated Trico as a pet I was on a journey with and not as a robot I issued commands to.
That's exactly how it is. Agro behaved similarly in SotC and it received similar complaints.

People expect it to behave like your horse in does in RDR.

Top Bottom