• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian Pre-Order Up for PS3 at Portugal Retailer [Image inside]

denomes

I think it'll be smarter to release it for the PS4 than the PS3 mostly due to a few reasons.

Namely that TLG has a niche audience judging from SoTC and Ico's sales. They aren't going to make their money back either way due to long development on the PS3. However with TLG being a PS4 exclusive, it serves as a major pillar release to the niche that wants the game as well as being a slowburn title for the PS4.

Rather than being a game forgotten as the PS3 slowly fades away, it'll remains as one of the most innovative and unique games for the PS4 that people will pick up eventually.

You defy your own logic here.

Releasing a title on new hardware limits its potential audience.

It will take PS4 several years to achieve the current install base of the PS3.

Yeah Sony has had the patience of a saint with that guy. Another publisher would have scrapped it years ago.

That's true, And unfortunately I couldn't really blame them for doing so. I think all we saw before was an awesome proof of concept that they couldn't make into a fun game. I wouldn't be surprised if the game may have changed substantially since the last time we saw it. Or at least if the gameplay ends up being vastly different than we may have been led to believe.

On PS3? I guess it's good that it's finally coming, but surely it would be smarter to shift to the PS4 at this point.

I know Sony support their consoles for some time, but still...this could have been an amazing launch/launch window title for PS4.

Issun23

I think he just wants him back at Sony. I agree.

I think it's in his best interest to go back. Sony owns the IP rights to the ICO universe and that's his baby. Would be weird if he wasn't on board for future Ico games.

Sony is also in a situation where they had a mega-star internal developer, and it's in their best interest to get him back. I'm sure Sony knows they can't make any more games in that universe without him. Backlash would be too strong.

I do agree that he isn't likely to find that kind of freedom anywhere else in the industry - it was the reason he left Warp in 1996 and joined Sony the next year.

But he has hinted he'd like to make more things, other than games. If his contract with Sony did not allow him to pursue his ideas as a creator then he'd naturally try to set things in a way he'd be able to work with Sony and follow his other ideas without conflict.

StuBurns

Banned

But sales wise, the impact is actually much smaller. MGS2 outsold MGS3, FFX outsold FFXII, etc. Install base is far from the only thing. The appetite of the audience is what matters, attach rates.

Ravage

Like many have said. Can they even recoup any costs on this game? Also when would it realistically release? Holiday this year is booked and the game would be sent out to die.

Spring 2014? If all goes well then the new consoles will be full steam ahead.

I can't answer your question without hard numbers. But i believe the most influential batch of PS4 software (i.e. system sellers) are those which entered production a few months ago and will be ready for Fall 2014. TLG not being a PS4 launch title shouldn't have a big effect imo.

For someone it was...goddamn.

Don't get me wrong, TLG is a system seller for me. But the game is niche in nature, i just don't see it selling PS4s to the masses.

obrigado!

Sony still supporting the PS3 strongly doesn't put in me in a rush to get the PS4 at launch (unless they release PS4 ports simultaneously, lol)

Soriku

A PS4 version really depends on if they thought scrapping the work done on the PS3 version was worthwhile to retool the the entire game to make a PS4 version even if the game won't be a big seller. If a PS3 version is all that's coming, then it doesn't seem like they thought so. If it's been moved to PS4, then there you go.

They said the game had technical difficulties, if it's still a PS3 game then the question is whether they managed to iron them out well.

Don't get me wrong, TLG is a system seller for me. But the game is niche in nature, i just don't see it selling PS4s to the masses.

I mean that for myself too. I was in doubt to buy or not to buy PS3, but after TLG E3 video, I was not able to resist. Of course it is not system seller for broader mass.

Don't toy with my emotions TeamICO.

I will not let the hope and hype back in ..... fuck

tumblr_lsemkc0nwt1qetmqsst.gif

Corto

Selling a game on a console with a larger installed base seems like a smart business move to me.

Not to mention the costs of restarting development on an entirely new platform. Get real.

Where'd you get your MBA?

But PS3 this year is saturated with high profile releases already. Even more so if you include third party titles. If they reset the project as a smaller PSN title it would be understandable if it's a big retail release it will struggle.

The target audience is all that matters and TLG is a niche title aimed towards a certain audience. A larger install base doesn't mean it'll get more sales. It'll sell well on either the PS3 or PS4 but putting it up on the PS4 alone would be a main driver for PS4 sales for it's first few years which would be a smart choice for Sony as well.

The way I see it is that they could recoup costs for the PS3 currently or they can put it up on the PS4 to drive more early adopters but they will recoup costs slower.

Which would be more important for Sony?

edit: Also Sony already has GT6 which will drive a ton of PS3 sales for the coming years, do they really need TLG as a niche title to drive a few more million more for the PS3?

Why can't we just be glad it's coming out at all?
Because now we're worrying that a potential PS3 version might be heavily crippled. It won't look as good as the old trailers might suggest, and who knows what they had to cut out from the game to make it possible on PS3.
Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I don't have the best feeling right know.

Knoxcore

If GT6, Versus XIII and TLG are all on PS3, it will be another set of mistakes in a string of mistakes made by Sony this generation. It won't be detrimental to their long-term goals, but certainly it will not help their short-term hopes for the PS4. Now, I'm not saying these games should be PS4 exclusives. No. But these games should also be available on the PS4 with the PS4 version at the center of the marketing. These are the types of games that move consoles (less so TLG). FF is still strong in Japan, Gran Turismo is alive and well in the EU and TLG is yet another technological/gaming achievement that has the potential to cross demographic appeal. I think there needs to be a version of these games on the PS4.

BuzzJive

Please not PS3. I don't have a PS3 and don't want to get one, but I'm leaning PS4 and this would certainly help with that decision.

Rarity

I don't understand the hype for this game. Can someone fill me in? The trailers don't really tell us much at all so are people just hyped because of this company's previous games?

In my case, it's due to the previous games, yes. Beautiful atmosphere with staggeringly different types of gameplay. So my hype is based on faith that this will be an experience along those lines.

hal9001

Banned
As long as the game comes out, I don't mind which console its for. If it does indeed come out for the ps3 then 2013 will turn out to be the best year playstation has ever had (last of us,beyond two souls ,gt6, last guardian).

Remember GT5? Turned out to be spot on. Also this particular retailer (NorteShopping) I've never seen them put pre-order boxes based on rumours. And why just now when no news about it have been popping up?

Pretty sure they got info from Sony and put it up.

But still, and the reason I didn't want to make a thread about it :p, file it still as a rumour.
This pre-order has been on that fnac for a long time, I remember seeing it last year next to Christmas (I think it was November) with a different boxart, but it was there. I don't know how reliable this is tbh, the guys usually give good information (and I love that they break street dates, I got so many games there before release date), but like I said, I've seen the pre-order for The Last Guardian way back. I wouldn't be too excited...

Soriku

The target audience is all that matters and TLG is a niche title aimed towards a certain audience. A larger install base doesn't mean it'll get more sales. It'll sell well on either the PS3 or PS4 but putting it up on the PS4 alone would be a main driver for PS4 sales for it's first few years which would be a smart choice for Sony as well.

The way I see it is that they could recoup costs for the PS3 currently or they can put it up on the PS4 to drive more early adopters but they will recoup costs slower.

Which would be more important for Sony?

edit: Also Sony already has GT6 which will drive a ton of PS3 sales for the coming years, do they really need TLG as a niche title to drive a few more million more for the PS3?

These smaller games like TLG are reliant on fanbases, but a lot of people seem to have bought a PS3 for it and the fanbase for that type of game should already be on the PS3, while many of those people won't jump to PS4 right away.

At the same time, if the game is a launch window game for PS4 it may grab a different audience interested in a different kind of game around launch...

If GT6, Versus XIII and TLG are all on PS3, it will be another set of mistakes in a string of mistakes made by Sony this generation. It won't be detrimental to their long-term goals, but certainly it will not help their short-term hopes for the PS4. Now, I'm not saying these games should be PS4 exclusives. No. But these games should also be available on the PS4 with the PS4 version at the center of the marketing. These are the types of games that move consoles (less so TLG). FF is still strong in Japan, Gran Turismo is alive and well in the EU and TLG is yet another technological/gaming achievement that has the potential to cross demographic appeal. I think there needs to be a version of these games on the PS4.

Well right now they have GT6 coming for PS3. A PS4 version might come but not till like a year or more later after the PS3 version.

Versus doesn't really have that much to do with Sony. It's ultimately SE's decision, and SE will have a FF for PS4 coming either way.

Minyobi

Honestly, I hope this is a PS4 game.
If not, the game has to release soon (unlikely), or it is going to get lost in the shuffle to anyone who isn't a card carrying member of the Team Ico fan club.

Watch the game be released on GTA V day.

for PS3 only = damn it's too late!!! I want it for next gen on PS4!!!!!!

for PS4 only = fuck you! you said PS3 like years ago! now it's not coming out on PS3 at all?

there is no win scenario, lol (unless it's cross-gen)

Rumba

Banned
I don't get this. Obviously it is going to get released.

Ever wondered why Sony keeps on commenting about The Last Guardian while they've been mum about Agent? One still exists while the other one is vapourware.

Just because we never get a demo doesn't mean they're not working on it. Team ICO is a very small team. Believe it or not, only 40 people worked on Shadow of the Colossus. So I can imagine them just doing their own thing and not allocating resources just to make a bug-free demo.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Finally it's coming!!!!

ibhcyYhmupPajF.gif

I'll be slightly mad if it comes out for PS4 actually, considering I bought a PS3 for it :p

Sendou

So many people want to play this on PS4. Sure thing but when they finally get a PS4 version out you will want it on PS5.

luca1980

Banned
for PS3 only = damn it's too late!!! I want it for next gen on PS4!!!!!!

for PS4 only = fuck you! you said PS3 like years ago! now it's not coming out on PS3 at all?

there is no win scenario, lol (unless it's cross-gen)
exactly. But having said its on ps3 at the unveiling ps3 users have more reasons to be satisfied than ps4 early adopters.
I mean we are waiting from a long time

ampere

Old fanart and people are taking that box as proof?

I would wait for an official announcement, especially given how many delays this game has had.

Pungza

Hope there is a PS4 version, some PS3 screens look bad with dithering effect and the fps struggles in trailers. Obvious the console wasn't able to produce his vision, and the final product shouldn't have to suffer for it.

Click for very large image, looks like they took MS spray paint to the back of the birds head

But how many games will there be at launch, compared to the number of games available for PS3? People tend to forget that the limited number of titles available at the launch of new hardware often means that games which would otherwise have been overlooked become big sellers.

Aenima

Goldmund

Every.

Single.

Time.

Just release both.

You guys want the game running in sub-HD, at 20 fps with tearing, frame drops, pop-up, pop-in and horrible aliasing? Have fun, get the PS3 version.

But give the rest of us a choice to get the game on the best platform out there, running at the highest possible quality. Running in a way it deserves.

If third-parties can do it (Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, Destiny, Battlefield, NFS, Wolfenstein, Diablo III, Dying Light, etc.), so can Sony.
Of course cross-gen would be the best option.

Arkage

Banned
I think we already know that if it's a PS3 only instead of PS4 only release they will sell more copies. But if they released it as a PS4 launch game, that WILL sell more consoles if enough hype and advertisement goes along with it. I think the game could have mass appeal since it appears to almost be a pet simulator in some aspects, so it all depends on how they market it.

So the real question is should Sony be worrying about recouping the cost of the game at this point, or should they be more worried about the future of their PS4 and it's initial appeal and momentum?

I'm hoping it's for PS4 even if it's just a port running at a higher resolution. My PS3 recently broke and I really don't want to have to buy another with PS4 around the corner. But there's so many games coming out for it... ugh.

Mifune

Mehmber
I guess I would prefer this to be on PS4 but I'll take it any way I can get it. Still, it's not like this should be taken as confirmation one way or the other. It very well could be cross-gen.

Top Bottom