• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment and doxing shouldn't be happening but I don't see accusations of this guy himself doing any of that. In the tweets that are being linked I see him simply being against feminism and SJW influence over the video game industry, and it seems like those opinions aren't allowed. I see people in this thread literally saying they're not going to buy a game made by someone who doesn't support feminism. What in the actual fuck? That, at least to me, is like someone saying they're not going to buy a game because its creator has said they don't support PETA.

It's quite different.

Gamergate supporters have harassed female devs, and gamers to the point where some chose to leave the industry and social media entirely. Basically these woman were doxxed, flamed, had their address and phone number posted online, given death threats etc.

Read a bit on what the victims went through.

mjp2417

Banned
Harassment and doxing shouldn't be happening but I don't see accusations of this guy himself doing any of that. He defended gamergate but as far as I can see that was in September 2014 when people believed that someone had slept their way to a positive Kotaku review; before all the major harassment etc. In the tweets that are being linked I see him simply being against feminism and SJW influence over the video game industry, and it seems like those opinions aren't allowed. I see people in this thread literally saying they're not going to buy a game made by someone who doesn't support feminism. What in the actual fuck? That, at least to me, is like someone saying they're not going to buy a game because its creator has said they don't support PETA.

This thread is quite the honeypot

Harassment and doxing shouldn't be happening but I don't see accusations of this guy himself doing any of that. He defended gamergate but as far as I can see that was in September 2014 when people believed that someone had slept their way to a positive Kotaku review; before all the major harassment etc. In the tweets that are being linked I see him simply being against feminism and SJW influence over the video game industry, and it seems like those opinions aren't allowed. I see people in this thread literally saying they're not going to buy a game made by someone who doesn't support feminism. What in the actual fuck? That, at least to me, is like someone saying they're not going to buy a game because its creator has said they don't support PETA.

Please, tell me what is an SJW influence and provide the examples and receipts?

Oxymoron

Harassment and doxing shouldn't be happening but I don't see accusations of this guy himself doing any of that. He defended gamergate but as far as I can see that was in September 2014 when people believed that someone had slept their way to a positive Kotaku review; before all the major harassment etc.

That's plain not true though. He voiced his support on September 11.

A selection of things that happened before then taken from http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Gamergate#August_2014

August 19:
-Zoe Quinn, having been doxxed on /v/, is harassed via phone calls to her family.
-Polytron founder Phil Fish calls out John "TotalBiscuit" Bain for his attack on Zoe Quinn and becomes a target for harassment in the process.

August 20:
-Stephen Totilo, editor-in-chief of Kotaku, debunks the claim that Zoe Quinn's personal relationship with staff writer Nathan Grayson (one of the few partners named by Eron Gjoni in "The Zoe Post") resulted in any positive reviews for her game as no such review exists on the site and the only article ever written by Grayson that mentions her is from before they ever dated.

August 21:
-In the #BurgersAndFries IRC channel, the organizers celebrate obtaining Phil Fish's "home" folder and discuss how to take control of his website, hosted by Buttflare [see IRC logs @ Aug 22 02.34.26]. After immense harassment, Fish puts his company and the IP rights to its game Fez up for sale and then leaves social media and game development.

August 25:
Eron Gjoni does an AMA on /r/drama and reveals Zoe Quinn's usernames and passwords to the mob.

August 26:
Due to the ongoing massive harassment and threats, Anita Sarkeesian contacts authorities, later revealed to be the FBI. (This becomes later on part of a larger FBI investigation.)

August 27:
Ongoing death threats force Anita Sarkeesian to leave her home temporarily.
Zoe Quinn reveals that she too has left her home in fear; the mob mocks her relentlessly.

Buckle

"Modern feminism is evil and... Oh wait, just got a call from Microsoft.

Now that money is at risk, I've changed.

Sorry, everybody."

The "A lot of things changed for me these last years" is a weird statement.

I mean, on one hand, maybe it's genuine and he took inventory of his life and beliefs, but on the other hand it's probably just damage control.

I still don't believe him.

Maybe he got a girlfriend and realized he should keep his anti-woman thoughts to semi-obscure message boards instead of Twitter

The "A lot of things changed for me these last years" is a weird statement.

I mean, on one hand, maybe it's genuine and he took inventory of his life and beliefs, but on the other hand it's probably just damage control.

I'm thinking damage control, since I've seen at least one recent tweet that led me to believe he still holds those viewpoints. Maybe he decided to yank those themes from the game, time will tell but I'm not optimistic and the whole thing sours me on it.

Which sucks because it really is a very pretty game, and I do love cyberpunk.

Tain

people don't buy games all the time for all sorts of reasons

why act like buying a game is a given?

mortal

Gold Member
No offense, but the apologetics that's been here in this thread for this guy is embarrassing. Is it somehow offensive that people are calling him out or deciding not to buy the game that otherwise would have been bought?

Like what do you do for the case of Koiichi Sugiyama, the composer for the Dragon Quest games who also defends and funds deniers of Japanese war crimes in WWII and revisionism? I still buy DQ games and soundtracks because they are very good, but I am not going around to defend the guy for the POS that he is, nor would I attempt to convince others offended by his shitshow and not want any of their money to go to him that they are in any way overreacting. Just keep your human weakness to yourself, man.

Human weakness? Man, that is really uncalled for.

It's really weird how people are coming at my neck as if I ever said I agree with his personal views. I wish you'd at least read my previous posts to better understand me because I feel like I have to keep reiterating myself since some seem to misunderstand me.
I am only advocating freedom of expression through the creative medium of video games, and freedom to choose what to support as a consumer/audience. Whether the individual gamer decides to play the game out of curiosity or decide against buying it is entirely up to them. People's reasons for wanting to play the game are not that black and white, mine certainly aren't.

I intend to judge the game on the merits respective to the medium because I personally believe video games can be about anything, that doesn't mean I automatically believe or support that view, you understand what I mean? To me, it's much more engaging to see that discussion take shape within actual games, whether it's this or a concept inspired by feminism.

Kayhan

marUSXX.png

It's really weird how people are coming at my neck as if I ever said I agree with his personal views. I wish you'd at least read my previous posts to better understand me because I feel like I have to keep reiterating myself since some seem to misunderstand me.
I am only advocating freedom of expression through the creative medium of video games, and freedom to choose what to support as a consumer/audience. Whether the individual gamer decides to play the game out of curiosity or decide against buying it is entirely up to them. People's reasons for wanting to play the game are not that black and white, mine certainly aren't.

I intend to judge the game on the merits respective to the medium because I personally believe video games can be about anything, that doesn't mean I automatically believe or support that view, you understand what I mean?

But you're still saying you plan to pay money for a product created by someone with an agenda that leans hard on the suppression of womens' rights?

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm thinking damage control, since I've seen at least one recent tweet that led me to believe he still holds those viewpoints. Maybe he decided to yank those themes from the game, time will tell but I'm not optimistic and the whole thing sours me on it.

Which sucks because it really is a very pretty game, and I do love cyberpunk.

A person who had had a genuine change of beliefs would have a lot more to say than "A lot of things have changed". That's what you want to say if you know you need to pretend you've changed. Someone who had actually gone through enough of a change to go from GGer to reasonable person would have some pretty serious personal narrative and philosophical ponderings on their mind that they would probably want to discuss. If you supported a hate group and now honestly regret it, you strive for some sort of atonement, not just washing your hands of your past self.

dugdug

Banned
"A lot of things have changed for me" is not a good enough answer.

After saying all that shit, you need to prove you've learned your lesson. Show me the receipts or get fucked.

PeterGAF

Banned
"A lot of things have changed for me" is not a good enough answer.

After saying all that shit, you need to prove you've learned your lesson. Show me the receipts or get fucked.
You can't really "show receipts" for changed behavior. The only way to prove that is through your actions over several years.

Sucks catching up on this thread to see that the dev has some potentially questionable opinions/inspiration. Still gonna keep my eye on this game though. It caught my attention big time at the Xbox keynote.

kanuuna

Hard to believe that is the same game from those early 2D screenshots. Art style, setting and music are all the way up my alley.

I'd be really curious to know who's in charge of the OST.

mortal

Gold Member
But you're still saying you plan to pay money for a product created by someone with an agenda that leans hard on the suppression of womens' rights?

Never said I was going to be purchasing the game. I'd likely want to see and know more about the actual game itself before making such a commitment, much like I would for any other game I know little about.

I only ever commented about being interested in the premise, despite how controversial it seems. Coupled with the setting, and art direction it seems interesting to me.

We have no issue exploring or even reveling in extreme forms of violence in video games, despite that being a taboo in reality, and playing games with gratuitous violence don't automatically make you want to commit mass murder in real life, do they?

Even if I do decide to purchase the game it's first and foremost for my own personal interest, not because I share similar political or ethical beliefs with a developer. A game purchase isn't going to be used as a vote in any actual removal of female rights, that's ludicrous.

rpmurphy

I intend to judge the game on the merits respective to the medium because I personally believe video games can be about anything, that doesn't mean I automatically believe or support that view, you understand what I mean?
That's what I'm trying to point out.

It really doesn't add anything substantive to the discussion to say whatever, buy it or not buy it. Or that people should be able to make video games, which no one here is arguing against. What is it about the discussion on the revelation of the developer's background that makes you or others want to interject with comments that say neither one thing or another? The issue brought up here isn't about your buying habits and how that reflects on you. We're all in one way or another on varying degrees compromising our own moral values in our daily lives anyway, and certainly it is understandable here that the art style, gameplay, or what have you in this game entices you enough to put aside these other issues. It is also just not relevant and instead plays like a contrarian comment.

Christhor

I mean, maybe if it hadn't been front and center at Microsoft's stage. I think that and the game looking pretty sweet will have a bigger impact on sales. Gamergate assholes were already sold on the game, the same as everyone else.

All I can say is that when someone told me about this after the MS conference I asked them "what game is that? never heard of it". Then they told me it was at the MS conference. I still don't care about it and won't buy it, but at least now I know the name.

watershed

Banned
This game looks amazing. It's basically a Bladerunner game.

So what's going on with the developer(s)? Is the creator a terrible human being or something?

watershed

Banned
Don;t know if he's a "terrible human being" but he does have some ignorant viewpoints held together by thread

Any links? I'd like to understand better who this person is or what he has said. I'm generally not into supporting awful people, especially when it comes to luxury purchases.

barit

At least the game gets now the attention it needs. The first thread was only 3 pages or so long lol

Too bad I can´t play it on my preferred console but PC is fine too. Better than full Xbox exclusive I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom