• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii) has online versus and co-op modes

Luigiv

faridmon said:
Wow, I never thought it was alone in this uproar disagreement. What I am afraid of, is that the focus on the story becomes partial as some of the dev. team will inevitably work on the MP rather than add a thing or two to the SP. The MH argument doesn’t work as that game is tailored for MP in that mind so the team that is working on the design of that game is making both SP and MP simultaneously.

Also, I disagree about this KH comparison, SE can give the budget and an extra team to Namuro so it is sort of guaranteed that SP will fully be developed.

I am talking like we are going to have the game at all so I hope I don't jinx our luck at all :(

Yeah, someone told me earlier that it’s going to have guns and third person cover system which I am very sadden by.
Please stop raging! Trailer 1, Trailer 2.

JimboJones

It sounds very separate from the single player mode, I wonder if any exp or items you get from the multi player can carry over or benefit the single player or is it just for the fun of it to take a break from the single player.

Or are you just given a preset character in the lobby with no equipment/items from the single player? Hmmm.

thefro

JimboJones said:
It sounds very separate from the single player mode, I wonder if any exp or items you get from the multi player can carry over or benefit the single player or is it just for the fun of it to take a break from the single player.

Or are you just given a preset character in the lobby with no equipment/items from the single player? Hmmm.

My guess is the XP/items/equipment will carry over through both SP & MP... that's how Monster Hunter & DQ IX both do it.

Pretty sure you'll get rare items/drops from MP. I think we'll see a "lite" version of MH's crafting system where you'll be able to take enemy drops to Artisan Row in Ruli City (Sakaguchi has mentioned this area in his tweets and that there is a Blacksmith shop) to make weapons/armor/items that aren't on sale normally.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shit, this was going to be a maybe for me...but now. FUCK.

Day 1. Hell yes.

Big One

Banned
Wow, that shit sounds great. Deathmatches? Has that ever been done before in a JRPG? :lol Hopefully it has great maps to go alongside it.

Big One said:
Wow, that shit sounds great. Deathmatches? Has that ever been done before in a JRPG? :lol Hopefully it has great maps to go alongside it.

Golden Sun

My friend an I had some pretty epic battles in that game.

Ezalc

Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk Nintendo you'd better release this game in the US damn it. And while you're on that release Captain Rainbow here too that game looks funny, and all those other games the previous poster named.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Big One said:

Enchanted Arms

farnham

Banned
Caspel said:
I have such high hopes for this project. May even import it.
yeah it looks like people are putting actual effort into it. i feel really sorry for everyone making this game really.

farnham said:
yeah it looks like people are putting actual effort into it. i feel really sorry for everyone making this game really.

Why?
They're getting paid by Nintendo.
I mean, I know it's your gimmick to be a Wii troll, but a little effort goes a long way.

Azure J

farnham said:

wat

I will never understand people who get pessimistic over this as opposed to their ability to actually play games. =/

farnham

Banned
AceBandage said:
Why?
They're getting paid by Nintendo.
I mean, I know it's your gimmick to be a Wii troll, but a little effort goes a long way.

no. im not a wii troll. im just sad that games like this will only get sub 200k sales (xenoblade broke my heart.)

farnham said:
no. im not a wii troll. im just sad that games like this will only get sub 200k sales (xenoblade broke my heart.)

Ok, but that doesn't mean you should feel bad for the people making it.
Feel bad for the people that won't buy it simply because it's on the Wii.

farnham

Banned
AceBandage said:
Ok, but that doesn't mean you should feel bad for the people making it.
Feel bad for the people that won't buy it simply because it's on the Wii.
well those people wont get any harm. they will just be unable to experience what looks like a great game. but the devs involved... sure they will get their guaranteed pay from nintendo. but as a gamedev working on an ambitious project like this im sure they want more recognition.

farnham said:
well those people wont get any harm. they will just be unable to experience what looks like a great game. but the devs involved... sure they will get their guaranteed pay from nintendo. but as a gamedev working on an ambitious project like this im sure they want more recognition.

If they wanted recognition, they'd work for EA/Activision and just make shooters.

Jinko

Sounds interesting enough, not so much the deathmatch as the raid bosses.

I'm still not convinced I wana re-buy a Wii just for this game though.

farnham

Banned
Jinko said:
Sounds interesting enough, not so much the deathmatch as the raid bosses.

I'm still not convinced I wana re-buy a Wii just for this game though.
then do it for xenoblade
JordanLMiller said:
So how bout that release date? Maybe they don't want to announce it until next year?
its comming out in japan in january 2011

farnham said:
its comming out in japan in january 2011

Thanks, but I knew about this, I meant NA. I guess I should've said that.

AceBandage said:
For NA?
I could see it being a summer title after Zelda comes out.

Summer. So when would they announce a date for something like that? I mean we got like a year's notice for S&P2...

JordanLMiller said:
Thanks, but I knew about this, I meant NA. I guess I should've said that.

Summer. So when would they announce a date for something like that? I mean we got like a year's notice for S&P2...

With the way Nintendo's been doing things?
A month before it hits shelves.

jj984jj said:
I thought I was the only one who thought of this. :lol

*high fives jj984jj*

I mean, seriously, the sword and the 3rd person aim remains me of aiming my spears in 3rd person. It just doesn't have a cover mechanic.

Penguin

- online is split into two parts: cooperative monster battles and competitive player vs player battles
- both modes allow for six players simultaneously
- select from Elza and other characters
- competitive play has all players face off against one-another
- fought in a fixed time limit
- player rank indicated by colored crown icons placed over the player's head
- your character will display a preset message in response to another character's death
- playing as a magic-based character may be tougher, as there's a gap between casting your spell and the actual spell activating
- if you're hit during this gap, your spell is cancelled
- cooperative monster battles has players first gather at a lobby called "Raid Lobby"
- change your character in the lobby
- each character has unique abilities
- Elza is listed as being a knight/soldier with the ability to expand magic circles
- characters look totally different when customized.
- change equipment via the game's equip screen
- two slots for weapons and two slots for armor (listed as "Protector")
- equip screen shows your character's status: current level, HP, next level, "TP," and stats for attack, defense, magic attack, magic defense and speed
- armor can be equipped individually to upper and lower areas of your body
- armor types such as "Feather," "Heavy" and "Hunter"
- armor's look and abilities will differ
- armor's 'level' will also give different looks and abilities
- customize armor by removing individual parts
- this changes armor's look with no effect to the armor's defensive strength
- armor can be customized with paint
- create "paint" using items that you've obtained during your quest
- paint your armor in different areas using a variety of different colors
- painting system works at the level of "areas" of armor rather than the individual parts
- General Trista, also known as "The Empire's Greatest Treasure"
- Trista was once the highest ranking officer in the imperial army, as well as the embodiment of the ideals of chivalr
- Trista came to Ruli Island in order to prove a theory he formed during his investigations about the relations between war and the devastation of the land
- Ruli City wards: Central Plaza and Marche
- Central Plaza: built atop the river that runs through the city, primary feature is a plaza which houses a massive gate, also serves as a bridge connecting the city's north and south
- Marche: major shopping arcade, supports Ruli Island's food, various shops along the main road, each selling different ingredients
- view a mini map of the town in the upper right corner
- blue robed fortune teller runs shop from a table in the Central Plaza
- save point in the plaza, indicated by a blue light
- enter the shops in Marche
- shop for bananas, coconuts and other items at Greengrocer Shop
- prices will change daily
- profit by buying food supplies at low price and selling them when the prices have increased

More information
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/18/last_story_update/

thefro

Scans definitely look great.

I'm glad they've broken from the JRPG trope in this one where if you buy an item, your only choice is to sell it back to a merchant for half-price to get money back. No reason for that to be still around in games in 2010.

Top Bottom