• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki – Farewell, O Zemuria announced | Coming to Japan in 2024

Falcom has announced The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki – Farewell, O Zemuria, the 20th anniversary title in its Trails RPG series. It will launch for unspecified platforms in 2024 in Japan.
Get the first details below:
“In the year 120X, everything comes to an end.”
C. Epstein, the father of the orbal revolution, prophesized the end of the Zemurian continent.
As “X Day” approaches, a massive orbal rocket is about to be launched from a large military base built in the Kunlun Range.
“Can man make it past the planet’s atmosphere?”
“What lies at the end of the continent?”
“Will mankind be able to uncover the true nature of the ‘world’?”
While the whole world watches to witness the largest undertaking since the dawn of history, somewhere in the singularity that is Ored, forces from all over the land were about to gather, including a young “Spriggan.”
Will the single trail toward the distant heavens ultimately shape the future of Zemuria, or…
Acclaimed for its elaborate worldbuilding and epic storyline, the Trails series has sold over 7.5 million copies.
The story of the Zemurian continent—which began with The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, and has continued through Trails from Zero, Trails to Azure, Trails of Cold Steel, Trails into Reverie, and Trails through Daybreak—is set to take a dramatic turn in the 20th anniversary title The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki – Farewell, O Zemuria.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt you might be interested in this news. 👀

Screenshots:

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kai-no-Kiseki-Farewell-O-Zemuria_2023_12-15-23_001.jpg

GBTP056acAAYeph

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kai-no-Kiseki-Farewell-O-Zemuria_2023_12-15-23_005.jpg

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kai-no-Kiseki-Farewell-O-Zemuria_2023_12-15-23_002.jpg

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kai-no-Kiseki-Farewell-O-Zemuria_2023_12-15-23_004.png

Last edited:
I don't know how Nihon Falcom can literally crank these long-ass JRPG games out like clockwork, they must literally never sleep or eat, they just make games in this franchise 24/7

Hudo

I don't know how Nihon Falcom can literally crank these long-ass JRPG games out like clockwork, they must literally never sleep or eat, they just make games in this franchise 24/7
Same engine, same production pipeline. It's essentially like making very large DLCs. They did some updates to their engine during Reverie to allow for motion capture support and hot-reload after placing/editing an asset, etc. Which also speeds up the production.

SolidQ

Today finished Trails of Azure, next is Riverie, and for Calvard arc need English translation.
Hope this not finish Zemuria continent.
Need for right part of Zemuria
268yakijkyc91.webp

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

What mystery is that?

Something is stopping humanity from leaving the continent of Zemuria. There is something keeping them from leaving and preventing "demons" from entering. That why in this game they are trying to send a rocket into the atmosphere to try and figure out what is around the planet.

Last edited:
Something is stopping humanity from leaving the continent of Zemuria. There is something keeping them from leaving and preventing "demons" from entering. That why in this game they are trying to send a rocket into the atmosphere to try and figure out what is around the planet.

Now that you mention it, I remember it being mentioned in the Kuro No Kiseki games. I hope they get into this for the last game in the Kuro No Kiseki Trilogy

Today finished Trails of Azure, next is Riverie, and for Calvard arc need English translation.
Hope this not finish Zemuria continent.
Need for right part of Zemuria
268yakijkyc91.webp

So we have 3 to 7 more games left since we have Leman State, Principality of Elsaim, and Isca left for them to cover

Mister Wolf

Now that you mention it, I remember it being mentioned in the Kuro No Kiseki games. I hope they get into this for the last game in the Kuro No Kiseki Trilogy

So we have 3 to 7 more games left since we have Leman State, Principality of Elsaim, and Isca left for them to cover

Last edited:

Thanks for reminding me. I played all 12 games (Even the ones that haven't been released here yet)

But each game is so packed with info that I tend to forget about the plot sometimes

I was wondering is Legend of Nayuta neccesary to the plot of Trails games in general? I'm thinking of playing it

Shouta

The story I heard is 60 to 70 Percent Complete though

I expect like 4 to 6 more games out of the story
4-6 is a realistic number but that depends on story bloat. Falcom is really bad about padding things out when it's not necessary.

Them repeating the same line or point dozens of times kills me every game.

Shouta

How do these keep coming out lol, im never gonna be able to get into this franchise
Reuse of assets and template writing whenever they can. They definitely do a lot of unique work each game but they also save time in a lot of ways.

That said, you can basically start at the first game of any new arc/country. So Sky FC Zero, Cold Steel 1, and even the upcoming Daybreak. They all are basically standalone and are written to give you the necessary info to understand stuff they bring back.

You get more if you've played it in JP release order because of more context but it's absolutely not necessary aside from Cold Steel 3, 4 and Reverie, IMO. You can play those after the first two Cold Steel games but they intertwine Crossbell and Cold Steel a lot. Reverie also serves as an epilogue for both subseries.

But otherwise, just jump in at whichever arc that interests and don't worry too much about it.

Hudo

I hope Falcom return back to the more "pure" fantasy roots of the 2D Legend of Heroes games.

Edit: I mean the PC 98 ones.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I think these low budget jrpg makers have done a terrible transition to 3D graphics, I'd rather have higher res 2d models than this bland generic cookie cutter anime style.

Astray

Gold Member
Very excited for this, and glad they are going to speed up the pacing a bit.

I was wondering is Legend of Nayuta neccesary to the plot of Trails games in general? I'm thinking of playing it
From what I hear, Falcom gets very coy whenever they are asked about Nayuta, I have a feeling it will be hooked into the main narrative at some point.

Very excited for this, and glad they are going to speed up the pacing a bit.

From what I hear, Falcom gets very coy whenever they are asked about Nayuta, I have a feeling it will be hooked into the main narrative at some point.

I'll be playing Nayuta soon than

I got it digitally on Switch

I had a feeling one of the final games with end up going into outer space or the equivalent of. Sounds like there's going to be some different changes here though.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
We're finally about to have the mystery revealed.
It was all a dream of the fayth

Reuse of assets and template writing whenever they can. They definitely do a lot of unique work each game but they also save time in a lot of ways.

That said, you can basically start at the first game of any new arc/country. So Sky FC Zero, Cold Steel 1, and even the upcoming Daybreak. They all are basically standalone and are written to give you the necessary info to understand stuff they bring back.

You get more if you've played it in JP release order because of more context but it's absolutely not necessary aside from Cold Steel 3, 4 and Reverie, IMO. You can play those after the first two Cold Steel games but they intertwine Crossbell and Cold Steel a lot. Reverie also serves as an epilogue for both subseries.

But otherwise, just jump in at whichever arc that interests and don't worry too much about it.
We see companies all the time complaining that games take longer to develop and yada yada, but if they weren't so focused on photorealism they could definitely reduce development time to something more manageable.

Reminds me of when SquareSoft managed to release one great game after another -- except Falcom is not on the same level, but still.

Last edited:

We see companies all the time complaining that games take longer to develop and yada yada, but if they weren't so focused on photorealism they could definitely reduce development time to something more manageable.

Reminds me of when SquareSoft managed to release one great game after another -- except Falcom is not on the same level, but still.

I would say Falcom is on the same level though ;)

Shouta

Yeah, there's a lot of things companies could learn from how Falcom does things particularly on not investing so much on unnecessary things like insane graphics. Style and knowing when to appropriately animate things goes a long way.

I just really wish they'd slow down a bit and clean up their writing. There's too much repetition in their games and a lot of filler dialogue in places. It's cool they're like 80-100 hour RPGs every time but I'd totally be happy with 50-60 hours with less dialogue and polishing up the writing in spots that have been weaker.

Last edited:
Famitsu recently interviewed the president of developer Nihon Falcom, Toshihiro Kondo, in #1831, the January 11 – 18, 2024, issue. The central topic of this conversation regards the recently announced The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki -Farewell O Zemuria-.

Several facets are mentioned about this upcoming game, teasing what types of developments fans can anticipate, as well as confirming and clarifying certain narrative details.

You can view a translation of the questions and responses below:

Interviewer: Is [Kai no Kiseki] a sequel to Crimson Sin?

Kondo
: Timeline-wise, this title is after the events of Crimson Sin. However, the story will be moving towards a climax involving not just the Republic of Calvard but the entire continent of Zemuria itself. While I can’t reveal much yet, the game’s subtitle carries an important message, and I’ll leave it to your imagination.

Interviewer: What are some of the challenges you’re facing with [Kai no Kiseki]’s development? What areas are you planning to work on?

Kondo
: As the latest title in the Trails series to celebrate the 20th anniversary, we are working on elements such as visual expression, charm, and story structure more than ever because of the elements related to the worldview.

Interviewer: The name of the game is different. Does that mean the protagonists of the story will change?

Kondo
: Rest assured, as the story will still have its main focus on Van and the members of the Arkride Solutions Office. Furthermore, people who play essential roles in Zemuria will also appear.

Interviewer: In both Kuro no Kiseki titles, we still had a lot of unanswered questions, such as “What is the Genesis?” Will such answers be revealed in Kai no Kiseki?

Kondo
: Not just the elements from Kuro no Kiseki but also various mysteries of the Zemuria continent will be revealed in Kai no Kiseki’s story.

Interviewer: What will be the focal point of this story?

Kondo
: The story will center on the Republic of Calvard, which is the setting for Kuro no Kiseki. In Kai no Kiseki, we will finally get to the crux of “Just what exactly is the continent of Zemuria?”

Interviewer: One of the screenshots shows a green-haired man that looks suspiciously like Kevin from Sky 3rd in a background that seems to be…Creil?

Kondo
: I can’t reveal the details of that person just yet, but know that the Septian Church and the Gralsritter will play a huge role in Kai no Kiseki.

Interviewer: In another one of the screenshots, we see Bergard Zeman. Is he going to play an active role in Kai no Kiseki?

Kondo
: As you might know, Bergard was involved in the Salt Pale Incident. He doesn’t appear in Crimson Sin, but he will be one of the main characters driving the story forward in Kai no Kiseki.

Interviewer: Will field battles (from Kuro) still be present alongside the turn-based combat?

Kondo
: Battles will remain largely the same style as Crimson Sin and Kuro no Kiseki, but field battles have been improved with various additional actions. And even in the turn-based combat system, we plan to add new features, which we’ll reveal in due time.

Interviewer: You’ve mentioned that all of the forces in the world will gather together, but how will the story be told?

Kondo
: As we reach the climax of the story of the continent of Zemuria, Kai no Kiseki depicts the many characters and the many groups that are present while still keeping the story as an RPG.

Interviewer: Finally, a message to all fans.

Kondo
: The story of the Zemuria continent is finally reaching a great climax, and the developers and staff are working hard to ensure that Kai no Kiseki can live up to the 20th-anniversary title of the series. I hope you can look forward to more updates.

Lastly, an updated map of the Zemurian content was unveiled, viewable below. Unfortunately, the resolution is not exceptionally high.

Lastly, an updated map of the Zemurian content was unveiled, viewable below. Unfortunately, the resolution is not exceptionally high.

GCXdzEkWkAA1JTb

CamHostage

Wow, 20 years... I remember when this franchise "started" on PSP.

(That PSP series was of course actually portable ports of the existent fourth/third/fifth games in the already-long-running Legend of Hero saga, collectively forming the Gagharv Trilogy. As far as I know though, even those familiar with Falcom weren't importing/translating the previous games before this time, and they never came out in English aside from the TG16-CD disc version of the first Dragon Slayer LoH game. PSP helped this series expand its territory again, and now the Kiseki series has outlived even the PlayStation handheld hardware line it used to be so closely associated with.)

A fun series to watch grow over its history.

FGXM6bX.jpg

Last edited:
It was machine translated, I didn't download it until the main story and sidequests english translation was fully translated and edited to make it sound less confusing.
Ah, I see, so it was machine translated, no wonder it was that fast. Guess it's better than nothing for fans who wanted to play Kuro 2 ASAP, but yeah, I can understand waiting for the proper fan translation patch.

Ah, I see, so it was machine translated, no wonder it was that fast. Guess it's better than nothing for fans who wanted to play Kuro 2 ASAP, but yeah, I can understand waiting for the proper fan translation patch.

Yeah I noticed that lot of the NPCs not related to the main plot and sidequests were untranslated. The fan translation still had some spelling errors and a little of confusing sentence structure but I would rather play that than play something that might be censored in localization

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Is this something that will formally be revealed in the Daybreak game that's coming this year?

I don't remember much about anything like this being discussed in the recent games, Reverie etc.

Top Bottom