• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Skeletos311

So I beat the game last night finally and now I want to find the last 24 shrines I'm missing, and I have completed every shrine quest I've come across. Would it be feasible to just roam around the world again trying to find the shrines out in the open with the radar or solve obvious environmental puzzles, or am I likely missing shrine quests with shrines that are really hard to find otherwise? I realize this is a weird question, but I'm just trying to figure out whether I should just look up the missing shrine locations or not.

Do the Shrine Quests in your log. I think that takes care of all the Shrines that don't show up on radar. Check all the stables and Kass locations for the quests. If you're still missing some after that, look them up. Looking them up is probably more fun than aimlessly wondering around this huge world.

lt519

Appreciate the help everyone.

I'd say one other tip is to not overvalue any item. Everything in the game can be found/gotten again and there is always something better around the corner. Use up your potions, food, weapons, shields, arrows, etc when fighting, don't hold back. I used to be a hoarder in games and this is one you really don't want to be.

NewGame

Banned
Not having that much fun with this game to be honest. Link is fragile, I don't know what I'm supposed to do, and I'm constantly dying off of getting hit once.

Try to engage enemies in other ways, roll things on to them, use arrows, bombs and fire where possible.

Visit the Great Faires, wear The armor you can buy at the second village. Keep lots of food on hand.

Good luck!

Nyoro SF

I'd say one other tip is to not overvalue any item. Everything in the game can be found/gotten again and there is always something better around the corner. Use up your potions, food, weapons, shields, arrows, etc when fighting, don't hold back. I used to be a hoarder in games and this is one you really don't want to be.

YEP. Don't hoard. Use everything.

Zips

So I beat the game last night finally and now I want to find the last 24 shrines I'm missing, and I have completed every shrine quest I've come across. Would it be feasible to just roam around the world again trying to find the shrines out in the open with the radar or solve obvious environmental puzzles, or am I likely missing shrine quests with shrines that are really hard to find otherwise? I realize this is a weird question, but I'm just trying to figure out whether I should just look up the missing shrine locations or not.

I got up to 114 from wandering, got tired of wandering and looked up the last 6.

If you want to wander, turn on the radar and start going around areas that there are clear gaps in your shrine coverage. That will get most of them. When I looked the last 6 up like 5 of them turned out to be in places I just hadn't gone through to check yet, or I had passed by earlier in the game because I didn't have the radar on and/or had not taken the main road into an area.

The shrine quest count is misleading, as it seems you can complete some without ever getting the quest. I've got all 120 shrines but my shrine quest count indicates I'm still missing 3. I don't know if it's even possible for me to get those last 3 listed as complete now.

I didn't turn the radar on until I beat Ganon, and had 92 shrines. Wandering with the radar netted me another 22 (including completing the shrine quests I hadn't gotten around to finishing yet).

Radar is a must for the snowy mountain region north of the Rito...

Skeletos311

You know what I find real useful? Running up on enemies and hitting them, then running up and hitting them while they're down.

Giever

The shrine quest count is misleading, as it seems you can complete some without ever getting the quest. I've got all 120 shrines but my shrine quest count indicates I'm still missing 3. I don't know if it's even possible for me to get those last 3 listed as complete now.

I ran into a person with a red exclamation mark and talked to them and they gave me a shrine quest, then the quest automatically was completed because I'd already done it. So I'm pretty sure if you find the origins for the quest you can still complete the list even if you've already unlocked the shrine.

Zips

I ran into a person with a red exclamation mark and talked to them and they gave me a shrine quest, then the quest automatically was completed because I'd already done it. So I'm pretty sure if you find the origins for the quest you can still complete the list even if you've already unlocked the shrine.

I'll be damned if I ever bother to hunt down whatever NPCs or something give the quest though. I just found it misleading as when I was hunting for the last few shrines and was down to like 10 I thought 6 were shrine quest ones because of the count, but it turned out to only be 3 of the ones I was missing.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Found the
MasterSword
but Im too weak
to pull it out
;_;

Dr. Worm

Banned
I like having the Master Sword so I don't need to waste good weapons on hitting things once.

I'll be damned if I ever bother to hunt down whatever NPCs or something give the quest though.

I believe that if you set the quest marker for the Shrine Quest, it'll pinpoint the original giver.

Speely

Banned
While searching for the final great fairy, I found everything but, and it was awesome. I feel like I just completed a major quest, but I was just wandering around.

Literally more satisfying than a storyline push in a traditional game. It even climaxed by finding
Selmie
in the dead of the night and sleeping there till morning.

1upsuper

You can find a few by exploring the early game areas like the path from kakariko to hateno (its likely you didnt pay too much atention at that point) or the edges of the map, , but I doubt you will find all that way

If you finish the game, you can actually see how many shrine quests are available in the game so you can see how many you have missed are behind shrine quests.

Do the Shrine Quests in your log. I think that takes care of all the Shrines that don't show up on radar. Check all the stables and Kass locations for the quests. If you're still missing some after that, look them up. Looking them up is probably more fun than aimlessly wondering around this huge world.

I got up to 114 from wandering, got tired of wandering and looked up the last 6.

If you want to wander, turn on the radar and start going around areas that there are clear gaps in your shrine coverage. That will get most of them. When I looked the last 6 up like 5 of them turned out to be in places I just hadn't gone through to check yet, or I had passed by earlier in the game because I didn't have the radar on and/or had not taken the main road into an area.

I didn't turn the radar on until I beat Ganon, and had 92 shrines. Wandering with the radar netted me another 22 (including completing the shrine quests I hadn't gotten around to finishing yet).

Radar is a must for the snowy mountain region north of the Rito...

Thank you, everyone.

41 hours in and I still haven't stepped foot in any of the divine beast dungeons yet. Found all the towers though. Got the full Zora armor to level 2 - don't know if I want to catch all the fish necessary for upgrading it again.

I had over 100 arrows at one point but I've burned so many of them that I'm starting to consider buying more. Stupid guardians take so many hits to kill with my current setup.

Still rocking 3 hearts with two stamina upgrades and two more upgrades in hand. Not sure if more stamina is needed at this point.

inner-G

Banned
Ok this game is pretty good, but I'm several hours in now...

What's the Game Genie code to turn off weapon degradation :/

I don't like fighting anything because having your stuff break sucks. I end up just checking out the scenery more than doing anything constructive.

(Do you ever 'level up' to where you can hold more swords? I found some magic leaf thing that I'm keeping because I think it may be rare but that and a torch are putting a hurt on what I can carry)

Vibed

Has anyone gotten a weapon with higher than
atk? It's on my
Royal Guard's Claymore: 40+ atk.

Now THIS is a weapon I really don't want to let go of.

vareon

I don't like fighting anything because having your stuff break sucks. I end up just checking out the scenery more than doing anything constructive.

(Do you ever 'level up' to where you can hold more swords? I found some magic leaf thing that I'm keeping because I think it may be rare but that and a torch are putting a hurt on what I can carry)

You can upgrade your inventory slot with korok seeds, be sure to look for anything that looks suspicious or out of place.

It's OK to go out your way avoiding enemy encounters. Pick the ones you're sure to win. Don't ever worry about breaking your weapons, even early on, since they're very easy to get.

Yo I love randomly finding shelters in the wild. Just found a nice one at the base of Angel Peak in Faron.

I wish I kept better track of the ones I found earlier. Cozy little caves with extinguished campfires that just invite you in to take a breather. I also like those little tents as well.

I love finding them especially during inclement weather. Really adds to the adventure atmosphere.

bumpkin

I finally finished finding all of the Shrines, the one I saved for last I had to re-do three times before finally clearing it. The first time, a key item fell into a swamp and I couldn't fish it out, even with Cryosis; it flat-out vanished. The second time, I set a bomb off near a key item and it got blasted into who knows where; couldn't find it anywhere nearby. The reward was pretty sweet, but fuck,
would it have killed Nintendo to let it be fully upgraded out of the chests? Having it be shit-level and making me grind to bring it up to snuff is a hair obnoxious.
Completing all of the Shrines was no easy (or quick) feat, did I not shed enough blood, sweat and tears? :)

Now I'm working on doing some armor upgrades before going to take on Ganon, and I'm having some trouble finding a specific ingredient. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find "energetic rhino beetles?"

I found a video on YT that mentioned a Quarry area, but I spent a good half hour looking around the area and couldn't come up with a single one.

Vibed

And now minutes later, I'm treated to a proper boss battle in
the sewer of the castle,
leading to the item I went in searching for,
the Hylian Shield!!

Finally doing hyrule castle, wow! Why isn't the entire game filled with places like this?! It would fix all the issues with the game. If every major area of the world had a structure like this, with tons of rooms, challenges, epic music playing, great rewards, secrets and a boss, then this would be my favorite zelda.

boxter432

Yes you can upgrade your weapon, bow and shield capacity.
I never have a torch unless needed (rarely) and the deku leaf is not rare and also if there's a spot you might want to use one they usually have one nearby (or a tree nearby that if you cut or bomb it down a leaf will fall)

Now I'm working on doing some armor upgrades before going to take on Ganon, and I'm having some trouble finding a specific ingredient. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find "energetic rhino beetles?"

I found a video on YT that mentioned a Quarry area, but I spent a good half hour looking around the area and couldn't come up with a single one.

They're nocturnal. Set the sensor to track them and try the coast near Lurelin at night. I've also heard Akkala is good for them, but I didn't try there myself.

inner-G

Banned
I never have a torch unless needed (rarely) and the deku leaf is not rare and also if there's a spot you might want to use one they usually have one nearby (or a tree nearby that if you cut or bomb it down a leaf will fall)
Thanks that is very good to know.

Haven't played much post-SNES Zelda so a lot of the items/meachanics aren't very familiar

Golnei

Finally doing hyrule castle, wow! Why isn't the entire game filled with places like this?! It would fix all the issues with the game. If every major area of the world had a structure like this, with tons of rooms, challenges, epic music playing, great rewards, secrets and a boss, then this would be my favorite zelda.

Because it'd have taken another 5 years to develop, unfortunately. Hopefully now that the base is in place, future games or expansions will be able to deliver on that promise - I do agree that Hyrule Castle provides an experience that's lacking throughout the game.

Because it'd have taken another 5 years to develop, unfortunately. Hopefully now that the base is in place, future games or expansions will be able to deliver on that promise - I do agree that Hyrule Castle provides an experience that's lacking throughout the game.

Every other zelda game had a bunch of elaborate dungeons and harder to design than hyrule castle. That is not an excuse. They decided to focus on fields and mountains than make dungeons.

televator

I just beat the game a minute ago. I give it a solid 8/10. It starts off super interesting, but starts to settle into repetitive trappings latter on with quests that lack payoff. The cinematics also start to drop off after
Zora's domain

Still, it kept my interest enough to see it through to the end, but I don't think I'll bother going for 100% completion.

I think the Shrine designers just straight up forgot that you can Stasis a switch to temporarily keep it down--it completely trivializes a bunch of puzzles and I managed to lock myself in a room by using Stasis to keep a switch pressed down instead of something permanent like a barrel in one Shrine.

I finally finished finding all of the Shrines, the one I saved for last I had to re-do three times before finally clearing it. The first time, a key item fell into a swamp and I couldn't fish it out, even with Cryosis; it flat-out vanished. The second time, I set a bomb off near a key item and it got blasted into who knows where; couldn't find it anywhere nearby. The reward was pretty sweet, but fuck,
would it have killed Nintendo to let it be fully upgraded out of the chests? Having it be shit-level and making me grind to bring it up to snuff is a hair obnoxious.
Completing all of the Shrines was no easy (or quick) feat, did I not shed enough blood, sweat and tears? :)

Yeah, it's pretty stupid how they give it to you at base defenses after all the work you have to do to get it. Especially since the material required is tedious to get compared to other armour.

You can find Energetic Rhino beetles at the beach near Lurelin village in the evening.

I have to say: Swimming is kinda awful in this game. Stamina drains too fast for something you rarely have to do, its way too slow even when decked out in full Zora gear, and speaking of that set its bonuses are extremely underwhelming too.

vareon

Every other zelda game had a bunch of elaborate dungeons and harder to design than hyrule castle. That is not an excuse. They decided to focus on fields and mountains than make dungeons.

That's what he said, though. If there are multiple places like Hyrule Castle on top of what we had now it'll take even more time. They made a choice.

bomma_man

50 hours
50 shrines
100 korok seeds
No beasts

I really should get on with the story, but I just can't bring myself to do it....

bumpkin

They're nocturnal. Set the sensor to track them and try the coast near Lurelin at night. I've also heard Akkala is good for them, but I didn't try there myself.
Yeah, it's pretty stupid how they give it to you at base defenses after all the work you have to do to get it. Especially since the material required is tedious to get compared to other armour.

You can find Energetic Rhino beetles at the beach near Lurelin village in the evening.
Thanks guys! I'll check where/when you suggested.

I'll tell you what I think is going to be even tougher to track down are the Star Fragments. I think I've only collected one the entire time I've been playing. Where/how do I find more of those?

Justinian

And you can have all that with proper dungeons and more focused sections like hyrule castle.

Perhaps, but there is such a thing as focus and limited resources. If you want both things, you either increase the team/time or you compromise on the quality of both.

I feel the design decision to intersperse much of what you would find in regular larger dungeons throughout the open world to be a great one. It plays into weaving your own "dungeon" experience rather than playing through a linear set dungeon every time for every player.

Can you get your horse in the Gerudo Desert? I'm having trouble getting mine to walk down, it just won't walk down a little ramp, even if I call it.

Top Bottom