• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

This game really comes together once you know what you're doing and have access to good weapons. I have two Divine Beasts under control and 60 shrines completed. I can take on Lynels now for some juicy farming. 85 hours so far.

Are you talking about the Ancient weapons or something else? Would it be a huge spoiler if you told me where you get some good weapons?

bomma_man

Are you talking about the Ancient weapons or something else? Would it be a huge spoiler if you told me where you get some good weapons?

It just kinda happens? I'm not sure if it's because of blood moons resetting weapon levels but, apart from elemental weapons, most of the stuff in my stash is 50+. I'm ~100 hours in with three beasts, 100 shrines, 250 seeds and the whole map uncovered if that makes a difference.

Specifically,
you get a 60 ranked weapon from the goron chief after doing that beast, and there's a bunch of good stuff in Hyrule Castle.

Meeps

Non-spoilery stuff:

Hinox usually have pretty decent Royal weapons that you can sneak up and steal. They're pretty easy to kill though if you shoot them in the eye and use stasis. I also found a respawning Royal Greatsword on the top of Woodland Tower (the very top).

Eventually you can upgrade to using Lynel weapons. They go down quickly if you shoot them in the face, run up to them and press A to mount, and then get some free hits in. This won't degrade your weapon, and it lets you attack rapidly with a two-handed weapon!

Enemies, weapon drops (and their bonus attributes), and treasure chests all level up, but I'm not sure what exactly triggers it.

my friend was playing a few weeks ago on my Switch, and when he unlocked the third tower, it unlocked the entire rest of the map. anyone else seen that glitch? can't find it on the internet

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The farther you go from the center of the map towards throught edges the stronger the enemies (and their weapons) get. I think.

Nah, the center of the map is where all the Guardians are. There's some really good weapons in chests in the central area.

I'm like 99% sure enemy/weapon level is dependent on shrines found or enemies killed. I think the only enemies that don't upgrade are the ones on the plateau and on the road to the twin peaks.

bibs

Just beat the game! All 120 shrines beat, all 4 divine beasts plus Calamity Ganon himself. Clocked in at 70 hours and loved every moment. One of the greatest games I've ever played. Cannot wait for the DLC to come out

atr0cious

Nah, the center of the map is where all the Guardians are. There's some really good weapons in chests in the central area.

I'm like 99% sure enemy/weapon level is dependent on shrines found or enemies
killed. I think the only enemies that don't upgrade are the ones on the plateau and on the road to the twin peaks.
This is 100% true. Folks complaining about durability need to use their weapons more. Think of it as feeding the game your used weapons for new ones. The more you kill and recycle weapons, the sooner enemies will start carrying better and better weapons. On my second playthrough, only one beast down but the average bokoblin is carrying something around 24+ with modifiers. And every other moblin has an elemental weapon now. And that's because I never run from a fight, even lynels, so much so that the lowest bow in my arsenal is a royal. Kill everything in your path as their weapons will be strong enough to kill everything near them and so on. Soon enough, you'll be annoyed they don't break quicker.

Red

Yeah most enemies in my game drop great weapons. I'm seeing lots of royal weapons and especially ~50 damage royal bows. I don't see many weapons with less than 30 attack anymore. Still haven't touched the beasts.

As much as I love this game, I'm at a stealth section (with the bananas), and it's VERY unpleasant. Seriously.

If I didn't have to start at the beginning of the level I wouldn't mind, but come on.

azyless

As much as I love this game, I'm at a stealth section (with the bananas), and it's VERY unpleasant. Seriously.

If I didn't have to start at the beginning of the level I wouldn't mind, but come on.
If you have the stealth set you can basically just run to them from behind or from the sides and take them down with the prompt. They're completely blind.

Anteo

There is a second ladder on the left side that allow you to bypass half pf the room. You can use your arrows to break some shelf that hold bananas so the guards get distracted and you have an easy path to said ladder.

jariw

Behind is no problem, but sides? It's like they have eyes on their sides.

This is frustrating.

Do you use the stealth set? That set with a couple of stars should give you quite a lot of freedom, as long as they don't get eye contact, since they aren't super sensitive to sound. They are totally blind while they are affected by statis +.

Throwing lots of bananas
to side track them is another option.

WolfeTone

Any hints on where to find the Goron to inhabit Tarry Town?

Vague:
He's on Death Mountain, but not in Goron Village.

Specific:
He's in that little mining outpost on the path up to Goron Village.You might have done a sidequest involving the collection of lizards there to get some free armour.

With all the side quests?

I'm probably just slow. ^^

I'm slow too, and I loving it. Closing in on 200 hours and only 89 shrines do far.

Just got distracted by a star fragment, getting there just in the nick of time before morning felt great, but I found myself in an unexplored area and forgot where I was heading before, lol.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Like 220 hours or so in and I am just reaching
Goron
village.

So there's a guy
stuck in what looks like amber
screaming at me in english
"Somebody help me! I can't get out!" and it freaked me out for a sec because I can't remember any other examples of non cutscene voice acting in the game that aren't gibberish. Certainly not in full sentences like this guy is doing.

Are there any others?

Pachimari

This is 100% true. Folks complaining about durability need to use their weapons more. Think of it as feeding the game your used weapons for new ones. The more you kill and recycle weapons, the sooner enemies will start carrying better and better weapons. On my second playthrough, only one beast down but the average bokoblin is carrying something around 24+ with modifiers. And every other moblin has an elemental weapon now. And that's because I never run from a fight, even lynels, so much so that the lowest bow in my arsenal is a royal. Kill everything in your path as their weapons will be strong enough to kill everything near them and so on. Soon enough, you'll be annoyed they don't break quicker.
I didn't know this! I'm learning something new every single day it's amazing. Btw, I need a pot to cook right? I dropped a monster wing and a lizard in a bonfire and the wing disappeared and the lizard ran away lol. Lucky little lizard.

Anteo

Like 220 hours or so in and I am just reaching
Goron
village.

So there's a guy
stuck in what looks like amber
screaming at me in english
"Somebody help me! I can't get out!" and it freaked me out for a sec because I can't remember any other examples of non cutscene voice acting in the game that aren't gibberish. Certainly not in full sentences like this guy is doing.

Are there any others?

I believe you are talking to an important npc who will gude you to the goron divine beast. Thats why he is voiced

WolfeTone

I didn't know this! I'm learning something new every single day it's amazing. Btw, I need a pot to cook right? I dropped a monster wing and a lizard in a bonfire and the wing disappeared and the lizard ran away lol. Lucky little lizard.

Yes you can only cook at fires that have a pot over them. Other foods usually burn up in the standard fires, although you can roast apples and sear meat in them.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just watched the e3 2014 reveal again - is that area even in the game? It's a shame the npc farmers didn't make it into the game. As it is the line between friendly, side quest giving areas and the hostile wild seems very binary.

Don't believe so, at least not intact. I spent some time trying to find it a while back, general area is somewhere around Salari Hill / North Hyrule Plains (based on that you can see both Dueling Peaks and Satori Mountain in the opening image).

With all the side quests?

I'm probably just slow. ^^
All side quests, no. Most but not all.

I think the chance of having a star fragment fall is greatly increased on a night with a full moon. There's a man at the dueling peaks stable that will tell you what's tonight's​ moon will be.

Yeah I heard the full moon theory, it's just an inconvenience to setup a fore and keep asking the guy. Thanks though.

jariw

Today, after three months, and with probably more than 5 times more game time than in any other Zelda game I've played, I finally beat Ganon. According to the progress meters, I still have stuff to do in the game. :)

Collecting all the impressions after so long time playing a game is difficult. This has been my OWN adventure all the way. Thinking back, it has been such a long and amazing journey.

It's by far the best Zelda game I've played. I've really appreciated the freedom I've been given as a player.

I'll continue to play the game, to test and discover the new things. Such an amazing game!

jaypah

Hey guys/gals, we just got a Switch and I picked up Zelda because of course. Quick question, I seem to remember there being some small gripes with the update for the game. Should I not update it or what?

WolfeTone

Hey guys/gals, we just got a Switch and I picked up Zelda because of course. Quick question, I seem to remember there being some small gripes with the update for the game. Should I not update it or what?

I'm not sure what you're referring to to be honest. Updates to the game have been well received and have made notable improvements to the frame rate. I'd go ahead and update for the best experience.

This game is such an amazing game away from games.

Such freedom, and done well.

You can do whatever you want. Go where you want to go. Do some shrines, climb some mountains, discover new areas, cook some great meals, find new side quests, get some new great armor or....it's your game. you don't have to follow any markers. This game is your own adventure.
This game is pure videogame magic. That's why you can put your own markers on the map. Completely ignore the main quest if you want. Oh, and everything has a purpose. Every collectible and every item you will find.

jaypah

I'm not sure what you're referring to to be honest. Updates to the game have been well received and have made notable improvements to the frame rate. I'd go ahead and update for the best experience.

It was something to do with a process where you could farm something that got patched out. Can't really remember what it was. Anyway, thanks for answering I'll go ahead and update it.

WolfeTone

It was something to do with a process where you could farm something that got patched out. Can't really remember what it was. Anyway, thanks for answering I'll go ahead and update it.

I believe it was an arrow farming technique that was patched? You definitely don't need to farm arrows to enjoy this game. Maybe if you were doing some kind of bow-only playthrough it might be handy, but the average player probably wont even notice this.

I'd say update for sure.

TheChaos

Is it me or is the Hebra area really disappointing? Like snow areas are my favorite part of Zelda games and there's very little to do there.

jaypah

I believe it was an arrow farming technique that was patched? You definitely don't need to farm arrows to enjoy this game. Maybe if you were doing some kind of bow-only playthrough it might be handy, but the average player probably wont even notice this.

I'd say update for sure.

Got it. Updating now, thanks again!

WolfeTone

Is it me or is the Hebra area really disappointing? Like snow areas are my favorite part of Zelda games and there's very little to do there.

Hebra area was rough for me because of the poor visibility and slow movement speed. Felt like I never knew where I was going. I know the snow boots make it a little easier.

My favourite region was Akkala.

Top Bottom