• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Justinian

You must have barely explored and avoided Shrine quests.

The fact you decided to finish the game after just 55 hours contradicts your claim you looked everywhere, because some of us are still discovering locations after 100+ hours.

Why rush? Savour this game, people.

There's a game playing philosophy I ascribe to when playing amazing open world games where I purposefully don't scour the map on my first playthrough but rather go with my gut instincts when making my way to the end. This way, I have plenty of content left to discover on repeat playthroughs in the future. I just hate forcing myself to exhaust content, although I have to say it's been difficult to do in BotW just because of how varied and compelling the world is.

I finished the game at ~150 hours but I know there is plenty left in the world undiscovered for multiple future playthroughs.

I think the beauty of this game is that you can finish the game in 30 hours and still have had a legitimately great time.

Crayolan

Just a quick question about how much of the game I have left

After the
4 divine beasts
, is that pretty much it for main story missions, is it just do them and then go to
Hyrule Castle
and that's the end of the game?

Is the
Master Sword
optional?

If you want to do all main story missions you have to:
Do all the divine beasts
Get all the memories
Get the Master Sword

After the
4 divine beasts
, is that pretty much it for main story missions, is it just do them and then go to
Hyrule Castle

Is the
Master Sword
optional?

Yes, its the end.

Yes it is optional.

Zedark

After the
4 divine beasts
Hyrule Castle

Is the
Master Sword
optional?

There are
still memories you can collect, which you can start searching for after you do the Hateno main quest (speak to Impa in Kakariko). They add very interesting story bits, so I highly recommend finding them.
The master Sword
is indeed optional, though I highly recommend getting it, since it is an amazing weapon.

Saiyan-Rox

Without spoiling anything is the
Master Sword
really easy to find? my mate found it last night and is bragging about it and i've done
3 beasts
and have yet to find it.

Burny

Master Sword
really easy to find? my mate found it last night and is bragging about it and i've done
3 beasts
and have yet to find it.

Once you explore a certain region of the map, you almost literally can't miss it. It's the thing in front of the giant thing which talks about it.

Only "difficult" thing is to get there. I only know about one specific entrance to the area. And once you've made your way in, you have to find the the track and stay on it, to get through.

Also at three beasts and foun dit yesterday. But watching the epic trailer and reading about it spoiled at least how to recognize its location.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Master Sword
3 beasts
and have yet to find it.

If you have been talking to every NPC you meet then you will have been told where it is at some point. There is a significant landmark visible on the Hyrule horizon that you probably haven't visited yet.

Zedark

Master Sword
3 beasts
and have yet to find it.

Not very easy, but if you explore around the map enough, you will definitely at some point come across the place where it is hidden. The place is pretty large, so you can't miss it indefinitely in your travels.

jariw

I just spent over 7.5 hours on the Great Plateau, is that normal? It felt like 3 hours, this game...

Spending good time on the Great Plateau can actually learn you very much about how to deal with the world below, in a pretty safe environment. IIRC, the only basic things that can't be learned on the plateau are about the horses and what the korok seeds you find are used for.

Create your adventure in your own time. :)

Thanks guys! I'll check where/when you suggested.

I'll tell you what I think is going to be even tougher to track down are the Star Fragments. I think I've only collected one the entire time I've been playing. Where/how do I find more of those?

I think I found one in a chest north of the
lost woods, there is a shrine question where you have to find the shrine in complete darkness

Grampasso

About Star Fragments seems like everyone missed my earlier reply:
The shining yellow rays of light you can see at night in the distance are Star Fragments. Reach the spot before the night ends and you'll get a star fragment. Also, this should only happen in a full moon night, but it appears everywhere in Hyrule, just be sure to scan from a high place.

Saiyan-Rox

Once you explore a certain region of the map, you almost literally can't miss it. It's the thing in front of the giant thing which talks about it.

Only "difficult" thing is to get there. I only know about one specific entrance to the area. And once you've made your way in, you have to find the the track and stay on it, to get through.

Also at three beasts and foun dit yesterday. But watching the epic trailer and reading about it spoiled at least how to recognize its location.

If you have been talking to every NPC you meet then you will have been told where it is at some point. There is a significant landmark visible on the Hyrule horizon that you probably haven't visited yet.

I got told where it is by the chief
Goron (Lost Woods)
but I haven't come across that place yet...think i'll go unlock every bit of the map first and try and find it. Thanks guys!

NEO0MJ

I'm tired of searching for the last memory on my own. Can anyone tell me where to find the one on the bottom left that seems to be a forest with what seems to be a rocky mountain/cliff on the side?

Anteo

I'm tired of searching for the last memory on my own. Can anyone tell me where to find the one on the bottom left that seems to be a forest with what seems to be a rocky mountain/cliff on the side?

hyrule field, south east area near a stable

Anteo

Thanks

I was worried I'd miss the
master sword

So far I just hear mention of it from NPCs and they say I should "look for it" but that's all I've heard about it (I'm 40 hours in,
two beasts
down)

Even the beasts are optional. I beat the game at 2 beast 8 hearts.
In areas closer to the sword you will meet npc that will hint at its location

Grampasso

There's a particular NPC that continually refers to the Korok Forest and its location (which is actually quite clear from the first encounter). I went searching for it in the beginning. I can't imagine how can people "miss it". It's ok to explore on your own, but what about at least reading signposts? They're scattered for a reason.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I never thought I'd say this but I wish there were caves to explore!

Can anybody shed any overworld design knowledge on why they were left out? Seems really odd.

PKrockin

Can anybody shed any overworld design knowledge on why they were left out? Seems really odd.
I thought this was odd as well considering caves were such a big part of the game's major inspiration, Zelda 1.

Burny

I got told where it is by the chief
Goron (Lost Woods)
but I haven't come across that place yet...think i'll go unlock every bit of the map first and try and find it. Thanks guys!

Yeah, you should be able to see where it is easily, when you unlock all towers. Or when you hear a high pitched giggle and get send back. ;)

jepense

I think this has something to do with how the world is created technically. No interiors except shrines are separate from the outer world, so they are all rather small. There are some small caves, but they are physically inside mountains or hills. I believe they had the tools to create large open landmasses but all interiors were created by hand.

jariw

There are caves, but not big maze-type caves.
One cave I found was pretty huge, however.

Years down the line I will replay this game the way I should have played it first time from the start.

Pro-HUD. Not activating the maps. No fast travels. No looking at the quest log.

takriel

Master Sword
3 beasts
and have yet to find it.

Just activate all the Shiekah Towers, and you will sooner or later explore in that area.

KahooTs

I feel the world design was fully realised everywhere, but when they came to populating the world they ran out of time/ideas the farther north west they got. Shrines particularly are less imaginative and substantial out there.

colinp

Banned
My Wind Waker Link amiibo has given me three (!!) Cap of the Winds. Is it possible to get rid of two? I really really only need one...

Edit: oh nevermind! You can sell them at any shop. Great!

Shaanyboi

Banned
I love how when you get somewhat near a dragon, Chinese music starts to play
I got to the jungle area, heard the music start, had no clue as to why. Then I turn around and see this enormous dragon emerging from behind a cliff only 30 feet from me. It was a magic fucking moment lol

I got to the jungle area, heard the music start, had no clue as to why. Then I turn around and see this enormous dragon emerging from behind a cliff only 30 feet from me. It was a magic fucking moment lol

The first time I saw it was from a distance. I thought it was going to be causing a menace to a town and have a storyline attached to it or something.

sanstesy

Years down the line I will replay this game the way I should have played it first time from the start.

Hard mode!

I feel the world design was fully realised everywhere, but when they came to populating the world they ran out of time/ideas the farther north west they got. Shrines particularly are less imaginative and substantial out there.

Really? I feel they are pretty well placed there.

duckroll

Eighth Heroine, Fallen Sword, Hidden Skeleton, Snowball rolling shrines, Shield surfing course, bunch of hidden springs, Lynel on the mountain, plus a dragon dragon. I think it's pretty good!

WPS

Sounds a lot more majestic than my first encounter with Farosh in the jungle.

I zora'd up the final waterfall and the jerk immediately steam rolled me out of nowhere. Only then did the music decide "oh yeah, there's a dragon, watch out for it"

It is amusing how it you try to land on the dragon, you end up bouncing off it repeatedly, hitting every spine along the way.

Thud

I played a bit to see what the patch could improve on Wii U. Noticed less slowdown and less frame rate dips in stables, villages and forests. Even with thunderstorms the dips weren't that bad.

Moblin freeze might still be a thing as I noticed some during a bokoblin fight.

Anyway I look forward to the DLC to put in some more hours. Crazy to see april being packed with smaller titles I all want to play lol.

The first time I witness a dragon is at night on Bridge of Hylia. Magical moment in my whole gaming life.

Just finished the main quest for the first time. I suppose that extra scene after the The End screen was the secret ending for getting all memories.

I've been playing an average of 3-5 hours daily since release and it's been one hell of an experience. I want to move on and play something else but I still wanna explore. Decisions, decisions...

Red

Why have you spent so much time hunting for the
dragons
before even kicking the games story off properly? Not knowing about them and stumbling upon them during my natural progression of the game was so magical the first few times. I feel like you've ruined the moment the game was trying to give you by obsessing over them before you're even supposed to know about them.

I guess they're locked behind a super-early game trigger, as to not distract you and steer you away from Kakariko Village. I know the world is open and that's awesome, but the designers do a lot to push you towards Impa and get the proper quest rolling.

I might be wrong on this but it's the only explanation beyond a really bugged copy of the game. Going to the lengths you have, you should have definitely seen one by now.
I have a shrine quest from Kass called "Jaws of the Serpent" which requires
bringing a Farosh scale to a statue of Hylia.

I planned on finishing up as many shrines as possible before going to a village.

My game plan was:
-explore entire world sans villages, never working on main quest
-get all shrines possible; use orbs for stamina only
-return to Hyrule castle and defeat Ganon (I have already explored up to the Sanctum)
-dive back in to increase heart count, complete villages, and purify divine beasts
-get whatever else I missed
-defeat Ganon once again

I would not have been concerned about finding
dragons
if the game didn't set me on that quest in the natural course of play.

Pretty sure the quest you're looking for is at the top of Mt. Lanayru. I could be wrong but I don't think so. They show up without it, but far less from what I recall.
I did that one.
Naydra is always at the top of the mountain until you finish the quest. Immediately after completing the quest, Naydra vanishes and never reappears.

NPCs clue you in to these things existing in the world. Both NPCs and side quests point you in their direction. I figured I could access them without making story progress. I haven't looked up how to do anything else in the game, but I got frustrated with these hints not leading to anything after a few hours of dicking around. At first I looked for as little info necessary to solve the problem. I applied that info, but it didn't work. I tried a few more things on my own. Hours later and I go to YouTube to see exactly how this is done. And I repeat the process day after in-game day. Ten days, twenty days, thirty days down. Waiting at fires and standing in exactly the spots video guides tell me to stand in. Nothing ever happens. I don't know why these would be behind outside quest triggers, but they must be.

Question about a low structure near the Hebra region:
How did you all complete the forgotten fortress? I walked in, saw one guardian and ran up to him. As I'm about to parry his laser another half dozen begin to target me and I hightail it out of there. I eventually cleared the first chamber of guardians, but skipped all those in the second chamber. Flew past them. I didn't see much worth sticking around for and I'm not exactly low on guardian parts.

Nictel

Hmm I understand your reasoning but I found the activation sequences such great moments

Wii U controller question: does the Pro controller have more robust sticks than the gamepad? I can't aim arrows for shit on a Pro while it's so easy on a gamepad, and I suck at analog aiming. The gamepad feels like there's zero acceleration and the speed is perfect, whereas the Pro has delayed acceleration and it goes way too fast once you push it, even when the speed option is the same. So lame you have to switch controllers just to use arrows. If you have to ask if something's wrong with it I bought the Pro from eBay for $14 but's it's the only problem I have.

jokkir

The one thing I wished they had I nthud game was better lore. They have memories and back stories of what happened 100 years ago but otherwise, not much back story of places you explore other than wrecked up structures. But I am only 2 main dungeons in but do have 100+ hours in.

Maybe in just not looking hard enough for lore.

AGoodODST

Is there some trick to getting a blood moon to appear? Must have slept a million times, spoke to Duel Peaks dude, rinse and repeat.

KahooTs

Eighth Heroine, Fallen Sword, Hidden Skeleton, Snowball rolling shrines, Shield surfing course, bunch of hidden springs, Lynel on the mountain, plus a dragon dragon. I think it's pretty good!
I'd consider most of that world design which I don't think took a hit, and I don't think the south west content is any weaker than the rest which is what I'd consider the Eighth Heroine. The Rito main quest was underdeveloped, as too their city and NPCs, especially after Gerudo. And the actual shrine content, the inside puzzles, I thought they were significantly weaker than the rest of the game's and in a lot of cases felt more like mini games than puzzles.

sanstesy

I don't see the Rito town itself as being underdeveloped. It looks great, good music, good shrine sidequests and Kass.

Top Bottom