• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
now am a proud owner of Zelda BotW in switch! will probably get the DLC down the line when I get a 50usd card

I know you'll get horses soon enough, but I take it in the plateau you're only limited to sprinting?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
now am a proud owner of Zelda BotW in switch! will probably get the DLC down the line when I get a 50usd card

I know you'll get horses soon enough, but I take it in the plateau you're only limited to sprinting?

Yup. It's not a huge area compared to the rest of the game so you don't really need a horse. It's also pretty dense so a horse would be wasted.

Has anyone managed to get the Fierce Deity Sword from the Majora's Mask Link Amiibo? Been resetting for over an hour now and no sword, gotten 5 FD Armors, 6 FD Boots, and 8 FD Hats but no dam sword.

Also have a Switch on the way. Does the DLC have any things that would be useful for my initial run of the base game, or do any bonuses only kick in like after the main story? May or may not try to sell the DLC code depending on whether or not I like the game.

The game is fine but I'm really disappointed in every side quest being fetch quests, I keep talking to NPCs expecting to find a cool mission, but instead it's almost always finding 10 stones or crickets and gourmet meat, tasks so mundane I forget about them as soon as they're given to me.

TheMoon

Anyone know where/how I can get a Majoras Mask Amiibo?

You won't get one unless you're willing to pay scalper prices but in general it would be helpful if you at least said what part of the world you're from.

The game is fine but I'm really disappointed in every side quest being fetch quests, I keep talking to NPCs expecting to find a cool mission, but instead it's almost always finding 10 stones or crickets and gourmet meat, tasks so mundane I forget about them as soon as they're given to me.

I can remember maybe a handful of quests like that. You're either not talking to the right people or looking beyond the completion requirement.

bomma_man

most of the (non shrine) quests are about pushing you towards new places or new mechanics. few of them are really worth it otherwise - even the writing's a bit plain.

Switch Owners, is this game justifying your Switch purchase? I'm on the edge on whether or not I want to get one, as I will mainly use it for Mario Kart & Zelda. Also, does Zelda run well on it? I will attempt to get into Spla2oon down the road. I have the money now and trying to find one nearby, but needed a second opinion.

Wollan

I was looking forward to reach
Koroko
forest and I did explore the area in the couple of hours I had prior to work today. Did the three shrine quests within and I almost managed to
pull out the legendary sword.
Currently I have eight hearts so should very soon be achievable.

TheMoon

Switch Owners, is this game justifying your Switch purchase? I'm on the edge on whether or not I want to get one, as I will mainly use it for Mario Kart & Zelda. Also, does Zelda run well on it? I will attempt to get into Spla2oon down the road. I have the money now and trying to find one nearby, but needed a second opinion.

all the yeses

JoeNut

yes, but mario kart for me was not worth the money

DonShula

Yes. I tell people the game is worth $360.

Also have Mario Kart and the kids love it, so we play together a lot. They like Arms as well.

DonShula

I did the first set of Trials of the Sword levels. More difficult than I expected. Maybe I just suck at the game. I got one-shotted by a
Hinox throwing a log with like nine hearts left

Coxy100

Banned
Anyone got any tips for the flurry attacks? I can time the parry fine - but just can't seem to ever get flurry attacks right?

Do I start it when they strike for you or is it when you're about to get hit etc? Does it matter whether you dodge left / right / back?

Would appreciate any tips :)

Chinbo37

Anyone got any tips for the flurry attacks? I can time the parry fine - but just can't seem to ever get flurry attacks right?

Do I start it when they strike for you or is it when you're about to get hit etc? Does it matter whether you dodge left / right / back?

Im no expert but it seems you have to dodge vertical attacks left or right. Horizontal attacks you have to do the backflip.

For the timing you just have to practice.

Timing: as the enemy is swinging; the game is pretty liberal with this so you can do it a bit early in the swing

Backflip or Sidestep: if it is a vertical attack then sidestop, horizontal then backflip. It is pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it.

Remind me again: how do you parry?

I believe you have to hit ZL (Wii U) to raise your shield just before the strike lands on you. I don't use it too often though so I could be wrong.

In regards to taking on
Ganon
. I am about to get the 4th
divine beast
and already have the
Master Sword
. Is there any reason for me to wait before I go and take on
Ganon
? I want to start Master Mode but want to finish up the main storyline on my initial playthrough first. Please spoiler tag any story elements that I or others may not have seen yet. Thanks!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I believe you have to hit ZL (Wii U) to raise your shield just before the strike lands on you. I don't use it too often though so I could be wrong.

In regards to taking on
Ganon
. I am about to get the 4th
divine beast
and already have the
Master Sword
. Is there any reason for me to wait before I go and take on
Ganon
? I want to start Master Mode but want to finish up the main storyline on my initial playthrough first. Please spoiler tag any story elements that I or others may not have seen yet. Thanks!

It's ZL (and ZR) on Nintendo systems, just fyi.^^

To parry you hold the shield up with the trigger and wait until the enemy is about to strike/shoot. Right before they hit you, press A.

You can hold up the shield however long beforehand as you'd like. It's the A press that's timed.

If Zelda clicks with you, then yes. I'm at 140 hours so far.

Plus Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS are both great games. And Splatoon 2 and Odyssey are both going to be fantastic.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If a single game can justify a console purchase, Zelda BOTW is definitely that game.

jariw

BotW is more than very excellent IMO. Just don't start the game expecting a "traditional" linear 3D Zelda.

kennah

Figured y'all might find this funny.

I spent probably three hours searching all over the
hill
for
Zelda's
horse. Tried loading my game. Coming at it from different angles. Waiting for a Blood moon. Putting horse on my sensor. Nothing. Nothing I did worked. Googled and no one else had the same problem.

Was about to give up and then remembered that I had a
white
horse in my stable... Loaded him up, and tried on a lark.... Yep. Turns out the horse Buckingham was in fact
Zelda's
horse and I had been using him for most of the game.

Anteo

I think therr was a guy looking for a farosh scale on the castle in this thead? I just found it in the mines on the back of the castle.

Chinbo37

I think therr was a guy looking for a farosh scale on the castle in this thead? I just found it in the mines on the back of the castle.

Mines on the back? Is that the docks? I haven't done the castle yet but I did the docks
for the shrine

Anteo

Mines on the back? Is that the docks? I haven't done the castle yet but I did the docks
for the shrine

No. There is a small cave on the back of the castle. It leads to a minecart area, half way you can find a korok frozen in ice. At the end of the track you find a talus and killing it unlocks a upwards airflow to the chest with the scale and a small passage with a bombable wall that connects to the library.

Anteo

I'm the guy. That's not the scale. Take a closer look.

Really? I would have to checl when i get back from work, i did that yesterday before going to sleep, along with trying to kill ganon and all the blights in one go in master mode, i was unprrpared for that health regen lmao, calamity never went below 7/8 hp

Edit: also, has anyone noticed any difference between wii u and switch versions? I was never able to outrun the lost woods fog in the wiiu version but on switch its super easy to do.

Also the recipes on each stable, i remember looking for them after the post on treehouse website, but never found them and dismissed them as april fools, but after arriving to the first atable on mt switch I saw that they were on plain sight exactly where the post said thet would be, which means either I missed it on every stable or the wii u isnt rendering it.

Oh and I havent seen any dragon roaming yet, which is weird becauae Isaw the super early on wii u.

Sadly i already sold my wii u so I cant compare

Hey Gaf! I just picked up a Switch with Zelda yesterday.
I'm doing stuff in the Great Plateau area to start with and having a good time so far. Probably played solid 3-4 hours.

Is it a good idea to just hang about this area "cleaning" the map and exploring even after getting the hand glider?

Second question is what kind of weapons do I need to take down those weird ancient machine monsters. There's one in the first area that I have no idea how to kill.

Anteo

OléGunner;242728572 said:
I'm doing stuff in the Great Plateau area to start with and having a good time so far. Probably played solid 3-4 hours.

Is it a good idea to just hang about this area "cleaning" the map and exploring even after getting the hand glider?

Second question is what kind of weapons do I need to take down those weird ancient machine monsters. There's one in the first area that I have no idea how to kill.

1. There is not much to do besides the 4 shirines, i would not stay after the glider. You can comeback later to clean ip the seeds if you want.

2. Ancient weapons work well. Or juat nail a arrow on its eye and spam your regular weapons. But its not worth to do it with early weapoms. You will break all of them and not get anything good in return

TheMoon

for someone 3-4 hours in, ancient arrows or spamming regular weapons is probably way way out of reach for now.

Don't worry about Guardians at this point.

Is there a Switch OT? I think I fell asleep on my Switch and I'm afraid that I messed it up! I'm always paranoid to these type of things when I accidentally fall asleep next to a portable.

TheMoon

Is there a Switch OT? I think I fell asleep on my Switch and I'm afraid that I messed it up! I'm always paranoid to these type of things when I accidentally fall asleep next to a portable.

console OTs aren't a thing anymore.

unless you're a rock or made of water, how would falling asleep on it mess it up?

1. There is not much to do besides the 4 shirines, i would not stay after the glider. You can comeback later to clean ip the seeds if you want.

2. Ancient weapons work well. Or juat nail a arrow on its eye and spam your regular weapons. But its not worth to do it with early weapoms. You will break all of them and not get anything good in return

for someone 3-4 hours in, ancient arrows or spamming regular weapons is probably way way out of reach for now.

Don't worry about Guardians at this point.

Thanks guys :)
First time getting into Zelda so stuff is over whelming a little but it's awesome as hell to play/experiment with the world.

console OTs aren't a thing anymore.

unless you're a rock or made of water, how would falling asleep on it mess it up?
I have a heavy head.

I woke up earlier to move around a bit and as I moved my body up the bed my head was about to land on the Switch carrying case (Switch was inside the case). That alerted me so now I was wide awake and I moved the Switch onto the table but I'm really paranoid about these things. I'm afraid that I moved while I was sleeping and had rested my head on the Switch q couple of times before I awoke.

Red

OléGunner;242728572 said:

It's up to you whether or not you want to find what's hidden on the Plateau. There are some treasures tucked away here and there, but none of them is exceptional. There are a few korok seeds (some hidden well, and easy to miss). But the whole world map is populated with secrets, and there is nothing on the Plateau you can't find elsewhere.

Any weapon can take down a guardian, but the best strategy is to parry the eye laser back at them. Any shield will do for this. A royal shield is just as good as a pot lid. If you parry correctly your shield won't incur any durability penalty and the guardian will take big damage. The next best strategy is to shoot the eye with arrows, but early on this can take a good chunk of your ammunition due to weak bow strength.

TheMoon

I have a heavy head.

I woke up earlier to move around a bit and as I moved my body up the bed my head was about to land on the Switch carrying case (Switch was inside the case). That alerted me so now I was wide awake and I moved the Switch onto the table but I'm really paranoid about these things. I'm afraid that I moved while I was sleeping and had rested my head on the Switch q couple of times before I awoke.

wait so it was even protected by the case?!? then it's even less of an issue :D

Davide

GAF, I just bought Wind Waker and I gotta decide whether to start playing it or return it. Breath of the Wild was the first Zelda I completed, it was fantastic, just finished it and wanting to play another Zelda game. I really didn't like Skyward Sword and I've wanted to give Twilight Princess another try as I really like the style but it's out of print everywhere. I don't like Windwaker's art direction but I'm wondering if it's still a game worth playing in 2017.

I also own Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time which I still have to get into.

Top Bottom