• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Estoc

Does adding more of the same ingredient matter in cooking and mixing? Like, would 1 stamina insect + 4 monster parts be better than just one of each? If it is, than is it better to have more insect or monster parts?

Also, do the different monster parts matter?

There's probably an obvious answer to this that I have forgotten, but what's the deal with the map going all fuzzy in the Gerudo desert? Has it got something to do with Devine beasts?

Anywho, the reason I ask was I was doing the side quest for the
leviathan bones
and it was located in that area. I was following my map until it went fuzzy but managed to get past it and right next to it.

TheMoon

Have you done all the Shrine quests? (I don't know its exact name in English, they are called Heroic Tests in Spanish). I think there are 42 or 43 and I was missing one of them (Related to taking pictures of some Guardians).

they're literally just called "shrine quests" in EN :)

There's probably an obvious answer to this that I have forgotten, but what's the deal with the map going all fuzzy in the Gerudo desert? Has it got something to do with Devine beasts?

sand storm.

they're literally just called "shrine quests" in EN :)

sand storm.

But it's at specific part of the desert and It's ongoing, never stops right? I was moving in and out and it would start when I was in that area, and walk off a bit and I was out of the storm.

TheMoon

But it's at specific part of the desert and It's ongoing, never stops right? I was moving in and out and it would start when I was in that area, and walk off a bit and I was out of the storm.

the south east will always have the storm until you deal with the beast since it is "hiding" in the storm.

the south east will always have the storm until you deal with the beast since it is "hiding" in the storm.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I'm still wearing my Gerudo woman's outfit to combat the heat, lol. I'm hoping there's other options. I tried cooking up some temperature-lowering food but it didn't help.

More embarrassing stuff. I'm 60 plus hours in and just learned ( from the snowy mountain area) how to shield surf...

TheMoon

By that do you mean other outfits?

tumblr_nkhypkE1Ep1tx9f80o1_400.gif

DonShula

The hardest shrines to find (that I remember) are:
-by the Hebra leviathan bones
-in the ice cold creek at Hebra
-under the stupid "bird" ledge that doesn't look like a bird
-in a lava lake reachable by mine cart on death mountain

Everything else was pretty obvious, and I don't recall any others which were difficult to find and undetectable by sensor.

Heh, I have all of these and still missing three. Just yesterday I found the obvious one with
lightning bolts pointing at the target on the side of the mountain
so I'm not too perceptive apparently.

For that one in spoiler tags, I noticed that I didn't have or get the quest when I found it. I had to go back to a NPC and chat him up before he'd give me the quest, and even then he didn't have the red indicator next to his name saying he had a quest. Kinda shady. Could explain why some people say they have outstanding shrine quests after they've found all the shrines.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The final shrine I found was the
brother gorons in the Gerudo area

Was there any hint they'd also be found there?

Annoyingly, I had walked past that area loads of time, even climbing the high areas,
but I must have skipped over the tiny bit they were on.

Orgen

Heh, I have all of these and still missing three. Just yesterday I found the obvious one with
lightning bolts pointing at the target on the side of the mountain
so I'm not too perceptive apparently.

For that one in spoiler tags, I noticed that I didn't have or get the quest when I found it. I had to go back to a NPC and chat him up before he'd give me the quest, and even then he didn't have the red indicator next to his name saying he had a quest. Kinda shady. Could explain why some people say they have outstanding shrine quests after they've found all the shrines.

The same happened to me. I got the quest after finding the shrine because he didn't have the red spot. Do you know who also didn't have the red spot on my walkthrough and it was my last sidequest? The kid in Hateno that wants to see a lot of weapons :| hahaha

Red

The same happened to me. I got the quest after finding the shrine because he didn't have the red spot. Do you know who also didn't have the red spot on my walkthrough and it was my last sidequest? The kid in Hateno that wants to see a lot of weapons :| hahaha
This shrine is related to a quest? Maybe that's one of the quests I'm missing in my log.
The final shrine I found was the
brother gorons in the Gerudo area

Was there any hint they'd also be found there?

Annoyingly, I had walked past that area loads of time, even climbing the high areas,
but I must have skipped over the tiny bit they were on.
I don't know if you're ever pointed that direction, but the hot platforms are difficult to miss, and are conspicuous on the world map.

I wish there were less directed shrine quests. I thought the lightning bolt mural shrine was a neat little thing, and would have loved to puzzle out more of those spontaneous encounters. I wish BotW was less directed overall. If it were more cryptic, many of the puzzles and discoveries would feel more satisfying.

I think the Pro HUD should be enabled and quest markers disabled by default. These should be an easy mode toggle for those who have trouble managing information or discovering things on their own. If I could turn off the health and stamina displays I would do that as well.

It approaches the original Zelda game in many respects (and surpasses it in many others!), but it is a little too generous with its hints and nudges. I wish there were more of a process to figuring out location puzzles like the little twin river quest. For example, I would prefer if you only had part of the clue and had to figure out the rest through environmental hints or by locating the other parts of the clue on fragments. Even have some puzzles be in Hylian script and force the player to translate through some in game process (find a book in the library, or compare the Hylian letters on a stone slab or monument to the player's native alphabet on map screen or something).

Does adding more of the same ingredient matter in cooking and mixing? Like, would 1 stamina insect + 4 monster parts be better than just one of each? If it is, than is it better to have more insect or monster parts?

Also, do the different monster parts matter?

Yes and yes. More details here: https://amp.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/61ccva/botw_cooking_math_complete/

I used a simple Google Spreadsheet the has a simpler breakdown for cooking but can't find a way to link to it from my phone.

Orgen

This shrine is related to a quest? Maybe that's one of the quests I'm missing in my log.

The bolts painted in a Wall mountain? Yep, the quest is given by one guy in a stable that is looking at the side of the mountain and tells you that there's something weird there (I got the quest after discovering the shrine).

Just beat my second divine beast, Vah Naboris. Dungeon puzzle was tough but the boss was a real bastard!

I only had metal shields so dodging his electric scythe swipes was a pain in the ass.
Apparently there is a rubber outfit that makes this boss battle way easier lol

Now can anyone tell me where I hand in korok seeds?
I've been playing for like 40 hours and only found that fucker once the first time you meet him.

Chopper

OléGunner;245753504 said:
Just beat my second divine beast, Vah Naboris. Dungeon puzzle was tough but the boss was a real bastard!

I only had metal shields so dodging his electric scythe swipes was a pain in the ass.
Apparently there is a rubber outfit that makes this boss battle way easier lol
Which region is that?

OléGunner;245753574 said:
I've been playing for like 40 hours and only found that fucker once the first time you meet him.
He hangs around at various stables. Meet him a couple more times, and he'll eventually settle in the Korok town in the forest.

If I recall correctly, after you first meet him follow the river north towards the castle and look around any stables you come across.

Red

If I recall correctly, after you first meet him follow the river north towards the castle and look around any stables you come across.
Yeah just head north. I think he tells you as much (maybe?), but you'll still have to look around a bit to find him.

Which region is that?

He hangs around at various stables. Meet him a couple more times, and he'll eventually settle in the Korok town in the forest.

Desert region for that divine beast.

Yeah just head north. I think he tells you as much (maybe?), but you'll still have to look around a bit to find him.

Thanks, he is def not at the stable location you mention.
There's a couple regions I haven't visited so I'm assuming he's at one of those stables perhaps

Edit: google tells me he could be in up to one of 10 locations lol

oti

Banned
You can now obtain items if you click a link in the Zelda News Channel. A couple of apples and meat to make friends with dogs in the game.

Horns

What's the consensus about getting this for Wii U? I found a deal for the game and used 32gb Wii U console for $180. Very tempted to pick it up just to play this game.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What's the consensus about getting this for Wii U? I found a deal for the game and used 32gb Wii U console for $180. Very tempted to pick it up just to play this game.

It's an awesome game on WiiU. Doubtless it is marginally more awesome on Switch, but I can't imagine there's anything that requires you to get a Switch for it unless you get unreasonably agitated by the odd framerate drop. I'm having a whale of a time with it without a Switch in prospect.

That sounds like a good deal to me.

dLMN8R

I played through the entire game on my Wii U, 120+ hours. Excellent game, no complaints at all about that version.

But then I loved the game so much that I ended up buying a Switch after the fact and re-playing the entire thing on there....so, yeah.

DonShula

The bolts painted in a Wall mountain? Yep, the quest is given by one guy in a stable that is looking at the side of the mountain and tells you that there's something weird there (I got the quest after discovering the shrine).

And he'll only talk about it during the day. He's inside and night and won't talk about it then.

In retrospect, this particular quest was handled pretty poorly.

Wii U version is fine. Did all shrines, cut scenes, divine beasts and their bosses, and Ganon and the low frame rate didn't affect my enjoyment. The frame rate doesn't make it run slow like the N64 Zelda games did too, if you recently played them. Frame rate also got better thanks to the updates in the first two months but it's still not consistent. It does feels like 30 fps locked when traveling through an open field or mountain, though.

Deku Tree

I played Wii U normal whole game and Switch whole game both normal and master mode. Performance on Wii U is not that bad until you play the switch version. Kakariko village is the worst noticeable frame rate offender.

This was initially my review of the game but it was longer than anyone would ever bother to read (this probably is too) so for now these are just my thoughts on additions I hope to see in the sequel:

-More enemy variety. This is a common request. Some flying enemies that aren't keese would be cool, just off the top of my head.

-More "epic" encounters. Instead of getting chased down by three wolves every ~ten minutes you're out exploring, how about a pack of twelve every thirty minutes? Or how about get rid of encounters with 1-2 keese entirely and replace it only with those encounters where an entire flock attacked you? I found the flocks to be a lot more fun and intimidating to engage with while the groups of 2 keese felt like more of a nuisance.

-How about at nighttime, instead of just coming across the stal monsters which are complete push overs, there are things like Shadow Lynels that make exploring at night genuinely scary, and maybe some other boss-type enemies that can only be found at night? I'd like nighttime exploring to feel more threatening, just as it would in some pre-industrial revolution time when people thought sea monsters and such actually existed. If I recall, people in Kakariko village mention that they're ordered not to go out at night because it's so dangerous, but it never really feels that way. more enemies show up, sure, but they're considerably weaker than the ones that are around in the day.

-terrain changes as story progresses. Maybe each time you complete a divine beast, Ganon's power/rage/whatever they want to call it grows and it does things like cause huge thunderstorms, or cause earthquakes that create faults in the world or something and these severe weather events/natural disasters would open up the ability to explore new areas. Maybe the thunderstorm provides gusts that let you glide to an area you couldn't reach before, or the earthquakes open up caves previously sealed shut. This would go against the "do anything in any order" set up but I personally wouldn't mind it.

-The ability to dive. I remember diving (well, sinking) waaaaay down in Twilight Princess to get to the third(?) dungeon and thinking how cool it was. BotW had a ton of variety in terms of landscapes but one thing that I think it was missing was the ability to explore the bottoms of lakes or to dive into the sea.

-caverns to explore. Similar to my request above, but for caverns. There was very little of that in BotW. Almost none, really. I suppose the forgotten temple counts in a way.

-How about when you blow up ore deposits, there's a chance to find iron and then X amount of iron can be taken to someone to repair/replace a badly damaged weapon you have? Just like what can already be done with the weapons you get from the champions, but for all weapons. This should also apply to wood and wooden items, obviously. Maybe someone in Goron city could repair metal weapons while someone in Korok Forest could repair wooden ones. This would alleviate people's frustrations with breaking weapons without getting rid of the incentive to acquire new weapons that would happen if weapons just never broke.

-larger towns. It was weird to me that every town had a population of like 30 people. I think if towns were about double their current size that would feel just about right.

-Expand Kilton's role. I think he's one of the more charming characters. I love that he has his own currency to "disrupt the establishment" and that he's this weird pariah that always sets up shop on the very edge of town and only shows up at night. I was genuinely surprised that so much effort went into a character that overall isn't that important.

-On a related note, and this is admittedly just a small nitpick, I'd like it if you could talk to the Bokoblins/Moblins/Lizalfos (or at least they could talk to you) if you're wearing their mask from Kilton. I don't think they'd have to say anything important, it'd just be funny and charming. The game already has a sand seal that gives you advice if you feed it fruit, so it's not like I'm that far from what they already do here.

-Let me keep anything in a stable. Charge me extra to store a bear and have them say something funny about how they really don't want to have to watch after it, but still let me register the bear. Same for all the other mounts.

-a way to look up recipes you've cooked.

-more weird stuff during a blood moon

-visually I'm fine with not doing any sort of big overhaul, I'd just like the game to be in 1080p with less haze and less pop-in. Sort of breaks the immersion when something just manifests like 50 feet ahead of you.

-customizable paraglider. It obviously comes from the Rito tribe (even though that doesn't make much sense since they can fly) so it'd be nice to see what a Gerudo paraglider or something of that sort would look like. With there being so many weapons and shields and armor it was weird that the paraglider can't be changed in any way.

-more natural voice acting. The English voice actors seem like they were instructed to enunciate very clearly, to the point that it doesn't always sound like natural speech. It felt more like listening to people narrate an audio book than acting out a cut scene.

-Let me ride a dragon. It would've been a nice Easter egg if the dragon you save (Naydra?) lets you ride her as a gift for having saved her. I'd like it if the game never explicitly tells you that you can do it (as is the case with many things in the game) but that if you try to land on naydra and ride her you find that you can. I think maybe you can do this if you have a set of armor that makes you shockproof/ freezeproof/ fireproof but I've not tried.

-village raids. It would be a nice side quest if bands of bokoblins occasionally raided towns. Sort of like when they would attack a traveler, but on a larger scale. You'd get a big reward for fighting off the whole group. It seemed weird to me that there would be enemy camps of bokoblins within 30 seconds of villages sometimes but they apparently never tried to ransack those towns.

-More natural edges to the world. I was really disheartened as I started to climb a cliff waaaay in the northwest and was just met with a message saying "You can't go any farther". How about a cliff that's impossible to climb, or wind that's too strong to move against? Anything that keeps me grounded in the world (like the sand storm at the edge of Gerudo) is infinitely better than an on-screen prompt informing me I've hit the edge.

DonShula

The lack of caves seemed to be a technical hurdle and somewhat intentional. Having an extensive series of caves would screw with the 2D map and wayfinding in general. And the caves we did have were primarily for hidden shrines, so they were intentionally difficult to locate on a map.

Finally finished the Trial of the Sword in Master Mode. Did anyone else think the Beginning Trials was much much harder than the Middle and the Final Trials? It took me forever to figure out the Beginning Trials but I sped right through the other 2

This was initially my review of the game but it was longer than anyone would ever bother to read (this probably is too) so for now these are just my thoughts on additions I hope to see in the sequel:

-More enemy variety. This is a common request. Some flying enemies that aren't keese would be cool, just off the top of my head.

-More "epic" encounters. Instead of getting chased down by three wolves every ~ten minutes you're out exploring, how about a pack of twelve every thirty minutes? Or how about get rid of encounters with 1-2 keese entirely and replace it only with those encounters where an entire flock attacked you? I found the flocks to be a lot more fun and intimidating to engage with while the groups of 2 keese felt like more of a nuisance.

-How about at nighttime, instead of just coming across the stal monsters which are complete push overs, there are things like Shadow Lynels that make exploring at night genuinely scary, and maybe some other boss-type enemies that can only be found at night? I'd like nighttime exploring to feel more threatening, just as it would in some pre-industrial revolution time when people thought sea monsters and such actually existed. If I recall, people in Kakariko village mention that they're ordered not to go out at night because it's so dangerous, but it never really feels that way. more enemies show up, sure, but they're considerably weaker than the ones that are around in the day.

-terrain changes as story progresses. Maybe each time you complete a divine beast, Ganon's power/rage/whatever they want to call it grows and it does things like cause huge thunderstorms, or cause earthquakes that create faults in the world or something and these severe weather events/natural disasters would open up the ability to explore new areas. Maybe the thunderstorm provides gusts that let you glide to an area you couldn't reach before, or the earthquakes open up caves previously sealed shut. This would go against the "do anything in any order" set up but I personally wouldn't mind it.

-The ability to dive. I remember diving (well, sinking) waaaaay down in Twilight Princess to get to the third(?) dungeon and thinking how cool it was. BotW had a ton of variety in terms of landscapes but one thing that I think it was missing was the ability to explore the bottoms of lakes or to dive into the sea.

-caverns to explore. Similar to my request above, but for caverns. There was very little of that in BotW. Almost none, really. I suppose the forgotten temple counts in a way.

-How about when you blow up ore deposits, there's a chance to find iron and then X amount of iron can be taken to someone to repair/replace a badly damaged weapon you have? Just like what can already be done with the weapons you get from the champions, but for all weapons. This should also apply to wood and wooden items, obviously. Maybe someone in Goron city could repair metal weapons while someone in Korok Forest could repair wooden ones. This would alleviate people's frustrations with breaking weapons without getting rid of the incentive to acquire new weapons that would happen if weapons just never broke.

-larger towns. It was weird to me that every town had a population of like 30 people. I think if towns were about double their current size that would feel just about right.

-Expand Kilton's role. I think he's one of the more charming characters. I love that he has his own currency to "disrupt the establishment" and that he's this weird pariah that always sets up shop on the very edge of town and only shows up at night. I was genuinely surprised that so much effort went into a character that overall isn't that important.

-On a related note, and this is admittedly just a small nitpick, I'd like it if you could talk to the Bokoblins/Moblins/Lizalfos (or at least they could talk to you) if you're wearing their mask from Kilton. I don't think they'd have to say anything important, it'd just be funny and charming. The game already has a sand seal that gives you advice if you feed it fruit, so it's not like I'm that far from what they already do here.

-Let me keep anything in a stable. Charge me extra to store a bear and have them say something funny about how they really don't want to have to watch after it, but still let me register the bear. Same for all the other mounts.

-visually I'm fine with not doing any sort of big overhaul, I'd just like the game to be in 1080p with less haze and less pop-in. Sort of breaks the immersion when something just manifests like 50 feet ahead of you.

-customizable paraglider. It obviously comes from the Rito tribe (even though that doesn't make much sense since they can fly) so it'd be nice to see what a Gerudo paraglider or something of that sort would look like. With there being so many weapons and shields and armor it was weird that the paraglider can't be changed in any way.

-more natural voice acting. The English voice actors seem like they were instructed to enunciate very clearly, to the point that it doesn't always sound like natural speech. It felt more like listening to people narrate an audio book than acting out a cut scene.

-Let me ride a dragon. It would've been a nice Easter egg if the dragon you save (Naydra?) lets you ride her as a gift for having saved her. I'd like it if the game never explicitly tells you that you can do it (as is the case with many things in the game) but that if you try to land on naydra and ride her you find that you can. I think maybe you can do this if you have a set of armor that makes you shockproof/ freezeproof/ fireproof but I've not tried.

-village raids. It would be a nice side quest if bands of bokoblins occasionally raided towns. Sort of like when they would attack a traveler, but on a larger scale. You'd get a big reward for fighting off the whole group. It seemed weird to me that there would be enemy camps of bokoblins within 30 seconds of villages sometimes but they apparently never tried to ransack those towns.

-More natural edges to the world. I was really disheartened as I started to climb a cliff waaaay in the northwest and was just met with a message saying "You can't go any farther". How about a cliff that's impossible to climb, or wind that's too strong to move against? Anything that keeps me grounded in the world (like the sand storm at the edge of Gerudo) is infinitely better than an on-screen prompt informing me I've hit the edge.

You should send these to Fujibayashi or Aonuma. I want to play your version of BotW.

Lots of good suggestions for the next game. I'm really excited to see where Nintendo takes the franchise now.

The thing causing the shadow could be cold. And if the sun is shining directly on something, a shadow could be cold, right?

That was a fun shrine to uncover. Although I dropped and lost "the thing" on my first try and had to leave the area and come back later for it to respawn.

I picked up a Switch last week, and been playing this game nonstop. I'm really loving it. I'm surprised, I didn't think I would love this game so much. Right now, I'm doing some sidequests.

Chinbo37

More enemy variety is the number 1 thing I think would make this game a lot better.

After about 60 hours I stopped fighting random enemies cause I had most of the drops I needed and there was no real upside to fighting them. I would just sprint past them.

Top Bottom