• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Kaban

So I just did the Bravery's Grasp shrine. Managed to get to the top, but it didn't feel right....there were a couple environmental objects that I never exploited and my way felt like a hack. So I looked up how to do it:

The Nintendo way:

Grab the beam block (didn't know you could do this) and place it on the moving platform. Move along the shrine as the platforms move each time. Simple.

My way:

Place two bombs (square and round)
at some distance from the diamond key. Far enough that they don't explode each other, but close enough to trigger the key. Get on the back platforms and use arrows to move along. Then jump onto the step platforms. Trigger bomb 1, move forward. Trigger bomb 2, move forward. Then I was stuck. Tried throwing the bomb over the wall. Repeatedly. Kept failing. So I managed to stand onto an ornamental piece and throw the bomb from there. Detonated.
And I'm up.

Simultaneously proud that I invented my own way but also ashamed that I had to.

Your way is how I did it as well, except
there is a small ledge on that last staircase (it's an indent in the wall) that I used to get up to one of the steps. Then I used my remote bombs for the rest.

I had to look up a guide to see why the hell there was a moving platform in the room. I never would have guessed that the beam block was mobile.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
For cooking:

Each ingredient:

*Restores some amount of hearts
*Has an effect
*Has an effect potency
*Has an effect duration

As an example, the Ironshroom has 0.5 base hearts, the 'Tough' effect (raises defence), 2 potency, and a duration (0:50 seconds).

When you cook something, the result:

*Restores 2 times the sum of the base hearts
*Has the effect of the base ingredients (can't stack, if the base ingredients have more than one particular effect between them, there's no effect in the product)
*A potency depending on whether the sum of the ingredients' potencies reaches certain levels
*An effect duration equal to some base amount dependent on the effect plus some bonus amount equal to the sum of the ingredients' durations

In addition to this, there are certain 'synergy bonuses' for some food combinations, for when you make a more complex dish like Meat Pie or Seafood Meunière. But these are normally just a few more hearts restored, and are rarely worth aiming for specifically.

Finally, you can sometimes get a 'critical cook', which randomly makes the result stronger. You can force this by cooking during a Blood Moon.

Cooking is a little disappointing the more you get into it, in all honesty, because most of the complexity is just noise. Nine times out of ten, you're better off just using 5x the same ingredient for best effect; the synergy bonuses are normally just too weak to go for.

oti

Banned
I find myself counting the days until the story DLC and hard mode. This game has a grip on me like no other.

I keep forgetting this cave of trials thing arriving in the summer. They could do some really cool stuff. Maybe some sort of rogue like. 🤔

Nia

I thought there wouldn't be any places that would creep me out.

SNkxh3R.jpg

I stand corrected.

Red

For cooking:

Each ingredient:

*Restores some amount of hearts
*Has an effect
*Has an effect potency
*Has an effect duration

As an example, the Ironshroom has 0.5 base hearts, the 'Tough' effect (raises defence), 2 potency, and a duration (0:50 seconds).

When you cook something, the result:

*Restores 2 times the sum of the base hearts
*Has the effect of the base ingredients (can't stack, if the base ingredients have more than one particular effect between them, there's no effect in the product)
*A potency depending on whether the sum of the ingredients' potencies reaches certain levels
*An effect duration equal to some base amount dependent on the effect plus some bonus amount equal to the sum of the ingredients' durations

In addition to this, there are certain 'synergy bonuses' for some food combinations, for when you make a more complex dish like Meat Pie or Seafood Meunière. But these are normally just a few more hearts restored, and are rarely worth aiming for specifically.

Finally, you can sometimes get a 'critical cook', which randomly makes the result stronger. You can force this by cooking during a Blood Moon.

Cooking is a little disappointing the more you get into it, in all honesty, because most of the complexity is just noise. Nine times out of ten, you're better off just using 5x the same ingredient for best effect; the synergy bonuses are normally just too weak to go for.
I agree, cooking becomes less interesting the more you do it. I'm glad it's there but wish it were more complex.

maxcriden

So I just did the Bravery's Grasp shrine. Managed to get to the top, but it didn't feel right....there were a couple environmental objects that I never exploited and my way felt like a hack. So I looked up how to do it:

The Nintendo way:

Grab the beam block (didn't know you could do this) and place it on the moving platform. Move along the shrine as the platforms move each time. Simple.

My way:

at some distance from the diamond key. Far enough that they don't explode each other, but close enough to trigger the key. Get on the back platforms and use arrows to move along. Then jump onto the step platforms. Trigger bomb 1, move forward. Trigger bomb 2, move forward. Then I was stuck. Tried throwing the bomb over the wall. Repeatedly. Kept failing. So I managed to stand onto an ornamental piece and throw the bomb from there. Detonated.
And I'm up.

No need to be ashamed - a bunch of us were talking about that shrine a few pages back (and kinda griping about it and discussing how we each solved it, except for my wife and I since we just looked it up out of frustration when we couldn't figure it out at all) and IIRC we all struggled with it and missed that you could solve it the way it was intended to be solved. I don't think there was enough contextual clue to indicate the solution compared to other shrines. Well, except the name of the shrine, come to think of it. But usually the names are more metaphorical...

Anyway, regardless, the most frustrating shrine thus far for us I think.

Favorite one is probably one on Death Mountain at the end of a Donkey Kong-style game mechanic...

Red

The east labyrinth has a great post-shrine surprise. That was my favorite of the three labyrinths. Good treasures to find inside, too.

aBarreras

did they increased the weapons durability i just killed a silver lynel with just a normal fire sword o_O and a colosal bow, but neither go to the "your weapon is badly damaged".

also everyone on the coloseum has fire weapons now instead of royal. boo!

One time I bought all the bananas. Thousands of rupees just to see the dialogue lol

You know, I never once, in 200+ hours, saw a banana merchant. Just Yiga assassins talking about the weather, trying to remember Link's name, or whatever else. I'd always stop and talk when I saw one, but never a banana merchant. I only saw them mentioned in this thread.

Until the other day when I turned the game back on to mess around with the magnesis / mine cart stuff, and finally encountered one. It's crazy how much stuff you can miss in this game, even while completing almost everything (except Korok seeds).

Dekutulla

fuck this fucking obstacle horse course

I got 1:15:14 and now I'm fucking stuck oh my god this fucking horse just jump over the goddamn sticks god g o d

edit: apparently bitching about it on gaf was the key to beating this because the immediate try afterwards I got it in 1:10.65.

v0v

Genocyber

I have recovered all memories however when I check my adventure log it shows Recovered Memory #6 as ???

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

GamerSoul

I got this on Wednesday and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. I was disoriented at first with all the freedom, but man is it amazing. Climbing, hunting, trying new strategies against enemies, etc. at my own pace. so good.

I am also a HUGE fan of the Sheikah and their mysterious lore. I always felt they were the unsung heroes of Zelda, and they deserved some more screen time. So I could feel they were going to play a role ever since Link had their Symbol on his gear on the official art.
:D

fuck this fucking obstacle horse course

I got 1:15:14 and now I'm fucking stuck oh my god this fucking horse just jump over the goddamn sticks god g o d

edit: apparently bitching about it on gaf was the key to beating this because the immediate try afterwards I got it in 1:10.65.

v0v
I tried it like 10 times with this random horse and no luck. Then I switched to the (horsey spoiler)
white royal horse
and beat it in one try with time to spare.

Speely

Banned
I got this on Wednesday and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. I was disoriented at first with all the freedom, but man is it amazing. Climbing, hunting, trying new strategies against enemies, etc. at my own pace. so good.

I am also a HUGE fan of the Sheikah and their mysterious lore. I always felt they were the unsung heroes of Zelda, and they deserved some more screen time. So I could feel they were going to play a role ever since Link had their Symbol on his gear on the official art.

Enjoy the ride, my friend. It only gets better :)

Speely

Banned
I wanna replay the game but hard mode isn't that far away. Hmm.

I really, REALLY want to know what it's gonna be. I have a wishlist, but I am trying not to hope for any of it because I know Nintendo always comes out of left field with stuff like this.

Famassu

The Nintendo way:

My way:

And I'm up.

Lol, I did it almost the same except you could actually do it with the two bombs only. I didn't have to throw a third bomb.

mingo

Finally finished this. 120+hrs, 120 shrines, all memories and 224 Kuroko seeds. I needed help on maybe 3 shrines and had to look online for the last one I was missing. Was such an incredible game. This will be one of the only games I will buy the DLC. Now I can move on to another 100+ hr game... Persona 5 and also fit in Yooka Laylee in there somewhere.

Decided to go ahead and finish the game with only 67 shrines done and not all the memories found. I love it so much but I'm also really excited to go back and do it all again on hard mode with still some secrets left to discover

Speely

Banned
Does anyone else want Hard Mode to restrict food usage in combat somehow?

I am sitting on so many +6-8 Heart foods that I only use maybe one to two times per Silver
Lynel
that I always feel OP unless I artificially limit myself, and I never use Stasis+ on any enemy (feels cheap and I don't like that Stasis+ affects enemies at all.)

I feel like somehow limiting food usage (cooldown, maybe) would add some potential danger to almost any combat situation.

Oidisco

I finished the game a week ago with 112 Shrines found and I planned on leaving it at that because I was sick of finding combat trials(I really don't like them), but I figured I might as well just find the rest.

A couple days ago I started looking, but stopped at 117 Shrines because I found 2 more combat trials which kinda pissed me off. So last night I went for the last 3 Shrines and I seriously think the game was mocking me, because the very last Shrine I found was a combat trial...

I honestly just stared at the screen and laughed for because it was so ridiculous. I love this game but hoooooly shit there are just way too many combat trials.

Ultratech

Finally beat the game.

Finished with 106 Shrines and 133 Korok Seeds.
I found the majority of the Shrines on my own save for maybe a handful that I had to look up for one reason or another.

Gotta say, it was one helluva game. The exploration is pretty crazy.
Wasn't so hot about most of the bosses; they were kinda annoying to fight. (Lynels on the other hand, they're fun.)

And Hyrule Castle is really something else.
So many secrets and paths...it made exploring the Castle quite fun. Kinda sucks the Final Boss was a bit of a letdown and the Ending was just kinda there.

I'll probably finish up getting the rest of the Shines and the Memories before I truly move on.
(I forget how many of those I found; maybe half?)

The east labyrinth has a great post-shrine surprise. That was my favorite of the three labyrinths. Good treasures to find inside, too.

Heh, yeah. That was a good one.

I nearly shit myself entering that room and even saw a few Guardians were active.
Wasn't until I grabbed the Chest with the Diamond Circlet that I got what the deal was.

Kuro

Honestly this game has zero replayability to me. Maybe if the main quest stuff was better and the story more interesting but the bulk of the game is about exploration and I've done all of that to the point of exhaustion. This is the first one and done Zelda I've played and I'm not saying its an entirely bad thing but I really want them to improve the dungeons and story for the next game.

Boss Man

So, I'm not a fan of the weapon durability. I can't tell if it's the mechanic itself or just that weapons break too quickly. Having said that, I'm not upset that they tried it.

My other gripe is that the inventory isn't great. I use it a lot and it feels obtrusive every single time. I hope they do this better next time. This is one of the things they would have done well to borrow from Skyrim.

Other than that, I think this game is perfect? I'm shocked that they pulled this off so well. My favorite game of all time, I think. I thought Majora's Mask was cool but I've never been huge on Zelda before this.

Didn't post a proper follow-up, but I got past my first Divine Beast
Vah Ruta

Man, total Shadow of the Colossus vibes. Everything from the lead-up
up the rainy, windy mountain; to Sidon bro'ing out with you to get inside it, to the actual puzzles inside Ruta.

I'm super impressed. The soundtrack alone to this game has been so goddamned incredible, I am just ecstatic for this game's dev team and for Nintendo. I hope it just motivates them to keep doing what they were doing with BotW.

Any recommendations for the next Beast? I friend recommended the
Rito one as his fave, and the Gerudo one as his least fave.

Feeroper

I finished this (as in beat Ganon and completed most of the missions, armor upgrades, all the memories etc) last night. God I loved this game so much. I figure it is time to move on to a persona 5, finish Final Fantasy 15 and Yooka Laylee, but I feel kinda empty inside now. I don't think anything is going to live up to what I experienced with this game.

I will be coming back to it over time of course as there are many korok seeds left, some shrines, side quests and of course the dlc to complete. However I have to force myself to play other games now. I see Persona 5 getting rave reviews and a lot of love for it but it's hard to get into anything after such a milestone of a game like BotW. Totally different games, but still, I feel so consumed by it.

Kangi

I've found well over half the shrines so far and yet I'm sitting around 60-ish Korok Seeds total.

I know I don't really seek them out, but to know I'm missing THAT much in all the places I've been is mind-boggling.

what-ok

I've found well over half the shrines so far and yet I'm sitting around 60-ish Korok Seeds total.

I know I don't really seek them out, but to know I'm missing THAT much in all the places I've been is mind-boggling.
Lots are found by simply overturning rocks. Easy to miss.

Red

Does anyone else want Hard Mode to restrict food usage in combat somehow?

I am sitting on so many +6-8 Heart foods that I only use maybe one to two times per Silver
Lynel
that I always feel OP unless I artificially limit myself, and I never use Stasis+ on any enemy (feels cheap and I don't like that Stasis+ affects enemies at all.)

I feel like somehow limiting food usage (cooldown, maybe) would add some potential danger to almost any combat situation.
I would like a stricter limit on how many meals can be carried, not a restriction on how often food can be consumed.

I overturn the obvious rocks (mountain peaks, behind walls), not so much the less obvious ones.
Ive done less than 40 shrines and have nearly 200 korok seeds. Shrines are hidden more deviously than koroks, which in some areas of the game are so numerous that it seems impossible not to stumble onto a new one every minute or two.

Top Bottom