• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Xane

WyaYj.jpg

skyward_sword_heroes_by_kazutaka51-d4bgpqh.jpg

What the theory for why in The Legend of Zelda era, Hyrule is a desert wasteland with dead trees, infested rivers, monsters EVERYWHERE and the last surviving humans/Hylians hiding in caves?

It always felt a bit post-apocalyptic to me.

Boney said:
Really need to give the Oracle series another spin. Played Seasons first which I loved, but Ages just didn't do it for me.
I really liked it and the real-time time-travel was very well implemented. There was something (minor spoiler)
very satisfying about discovering the ruins of a village, going back in time, saving it from destruction, and then going back to the future and buying things from its unique shop

It has been quite a while since I've played it though, it should really be on my replay list.

Alrus

Nintendo better start releasing Ages and Seasons on the 3DS VC soon! I never got the chance to finish OoA and I've lost my copy of seasons along with my GBA :( I want to replay them so bad...

Anyway :

Favorite game: Link's Awakening (the ending made me really sad :( )
Favorite dungeon: SnowPeak Ruins
Favorite bosses: (hmm hard to pick one) I'll go with Zant because I thought the fight looked awesome, even if Zant himself sucked balls...

Qasiel

A Zelda thread? Now THIS is something I can get behind!

Favourite Zelda: Link's Awakening (first I played and it got me hooked)

Futureman

Alrus said:
Nintendo better start releasing Ages and Seasons on the 3DS VC soon! I never got the chance to finish OoA and I've lost my copy of seasons along with my GBA :( I want to replay them so bad...

I'm wondering, how exactly did they do the game linking? Was it just a code you got at the end of one, and you input the code at the start of the next one? Trying to figure if it will work on the VC.

Fou-Lu

Favorite games: Wind Waker or Majora's Mask
Favorite dungeons: Shadow Temple (OoT) or Tower of the Gods (WW)
Favorite boss: Uncertain, this series has so many amazing bosses.

Games I've finished: LoZ, AoL, LA, LttP, OoT, MM, WW, OoS, FSA

Haven't finished: OoA, TP, TMC, PH, ST

Am I the only one who can't really enjoy the oracle games anymore? I loved them as a kid, but there's just something about them that bugs me now. They're almost boring.

It's been way too long since I've played a Zelda game from Start to Finish. I almost beat Links Awakening again before OoT but then I got distracted playing that.

Andrew J.

Because this year is the 25th Anniversary, I've decided to finish all the Zelda games I haven't beaten before I play Skyward Sword. I'm currently early in the Linked Oracle of Seasons, and after that I need to beat Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks before Christmas.

Fou-Lu

Andrew J. said:
Because this year is the 25th Anniversary, I've decided to finish all the Zelda games I haven't beaten before I play Skyward Sword. I'm currently early in the Linked Oracle of Seasons, and after that I need to beat Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks before Christmas.

I'd like to do this, but I still have MM, WW, TP, FSA, TMC, ST, PH and both Oracle games to go if I want to finish them all this year. Been trying to play the Oracle games again, but they're just not as fun as I remember.

RagnarokX

Mama Robotnik said:
What the theory for why in The Legend of Zelda era, Hyrule is a desert wasteland with dead trees, infested rivers, monsters EVERYWHERE and the last surviving humans/Hylians hiding in caves?

Oh, that's simple. Before OoT nobody cared about creating a coherent narrative spanning multiple games and thus there is no explanation for that if you want Zelda 1 to follow A Link to the Past. Zelda 2 had that whole sleeping Zelda thing that was supposed to be the reason for the name "The Legend of Zelda" that no other game has so much as mentioned and I hope it stays that way because trying to make connections to the 2D games now would turn the series into a hopeless incoherent mess.

Mama Robotnik said:

Link saves the world and civilization is rebuilt in Link's Adventure.

Rehynn

BTW, I'm getting a Zelda tattoo on Monday. I've been planning to get one for a while, but it's only fitting that I do it in the year of the 25th anniversary. It will take a while to finish (it's the wide intro picture from WW), but it should be ready for the release of SS.

CassSept

Tyeforce said:
That's another popular placement, but only because of the similarities between FSA and ALttP. However, Eiji Aonuma has said that the Four Sword series are supposed to be the earliest tales in the Zelda timeline, dating before Ocarina of Time (this, of course, was before Skyward Sword was announced).

EDIT: Here's the quote:
Huh, I see. It would make more sense for FS series to be before ALttP (trident, Hyrule geography and so on), but if that's what Aonuma said...

RagnarokX

Cow Mengde said:
Link saves the world and civilization is rebuilt in Link's Adventure.
Actually in AoL you are playing in a land north of the Hyrule from Zelda 1. The entire Z1 map is represented in Z2 south of Death Mountain.

RagnarokX said:
Actually in AoL you are playing in a land north of the Hyrule from Zelda 1. The entire Z1 map is represented in Z2 south of Death Mountain.

I intend to beat Zelda 2 one of these days.

Anth0ny

Ichor said:
Do it. It's very satisfying beating a game considered so hard.

Definitely. I beat it for the first time this year, and when I killed Dark Link, I jumped up and pumped my fists.

FEELS GOOD BRO

Oh I will. I know I can do it. Just sometimes I get side tracked playing other games and stuff, and I drop the game for too long so I restart from the beginning all over again.

senador

Banned
Alrus said:
Yes! I want this too. I would like to know if there are plans for this. I still have my copies but only have the OG GBA with no backlight. I'd much rather play on my 3DS. I only finished one of them. I'd also like Minish Cap and A Link to the Past on the 3DS store, both of which I haven't played. All 4 would be instant buys for me.

K444WSR

Favourite game: toss up between alttp and oot
Favourite dungeon: sky temple
Favourite boss: hhmm...probably ww Gannon

Tyeforce

CassSept said:
Huh, I see. It would make more sense for FS series to be before ALttP (trident, Hyrule geography and so on), but if that's what Aonuma said...
The only game in the Four Sword series that really has a lot of connections to ALttP is FSA, and only because it was originally going to be a prequel to ALttP. It even used ALttP sprites at first. But during its development, Miyamoto upended the tea table (of course), and its story was changed drastically. Of course, because the game was built around the idea of it being a prequel to ALttP, many of those connections remain in the game.

Eiji Aonuma said:
In an example with Four Swords Adventures, I was the producer... I didn't actually put the story for that game together... Mr. Miyamoto then came in and upended the tea table... we changed the story around quite a bit... storyline shouldn't be something complicated that confuses the player... and the storyline changed all the way up until the very end.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BurntPork

Banned
Tyeforce said:
On the subject of Zelda timelines...

/ — TWW/PH — ST
SS — TMC — FS/FSA — OoT
               \MM — TP — ALttP/LA — TLoZ/TAoL — OoS/OoA

That's my timeline. It's explain a bit in this video with annotations, and I plan on making a very in-depth finished timeline video before Skyward Sword comes out.
The Four Swords games being placed before OoT makes absolutely no sense unless you feel that
there were two Ganons at once and both were trapped in the sacred realm at the same time, but only the one from OoT chose to break out prior to
WW.

Playing through Twilight Princess right now. The third tears of light hunt sucks, but the game gets sooooo much better after all of the twilight segments are done. Gotta tough it out. ;-;

Anth0ny

Holy shit Four Swords Anniversary Ed. is fucking awesome.

When the music started playing for
Hyrule Castle LTTP
I almost shit myself. Fanservice to the max.

Tyeforce

BurntPork said:
The Four Swords games being placed before OoT makes absolutely no sense unless you feel that
there were two Ganons at once and both were trapped in the sacred realm at the same time, but only the one from OoT chose to break out prior to
WW.
Not if you believe that Ganon is a separate entity from Ganondorf, and that there are multiple Ganondorfs (which is strongly hinted at in the games). If you watch my video, I've explained how this works.

And, in the end, whether you think it makes sense or not, that's the timeline placement the developers have confirmed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So what is the relationship between Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages? I haven't played them, but I always assumed they were two different stories or whatever, happening at the same time, one in each timeline.

Is that entirely inaccurate?

Also, Obligatory Fan Film time.

RagnarokX

Tyeforce said:
Not if you believe that Ganon is a separate entity from Ganondorf, and that there are multiple Ganondorfs (which is strongly hinted at in the games). If you watch my video, I've explained how this works.

And, in the end, whether you think it makes sense or not, that's the timeline placement the developers have confirmed.
No, FSA Ganon is a Gerudo from the desert, just like OoT Ganon. Seriously, Four Swords has to be an alternate dimension to make sense. The only games with a different Ganon are the FS games.

Htown said:
So what is the relationship between Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages? I haven't played them, but I always assumed they were two different stories or whatever, happening at the same time, one in each timeline.
Is that entirely inaccurate?

Also, Obligatory Fan Film time.
That's the rub.

BurntPork

Banned
Tyeforce said:

Ganon being a separate entity from Ganondorf is kinda out there. The only game with Ganon were he isn't Ganondorf transformed is Zelda 1, and even then he might be since we weren't given any backstory. I personally don't believe in the multiple Ganondorf theory and I just think that there isn't actually just one storyline, but I won't get into that.

Did they confirm that FSA takes place directly after FS? I don't think so. If we go on assuming that there are multiple Ganondorfs/Ganons, it would make more sense to put FSA between TP and ALttP. Otherwise, we end up in a very odd situation where Ganondorf is reincarnated while he's still alive.

RagnarokX

BurntPork said:
Ganon being a separate entity from Ganondorf is kinda out there. The only game with Ganon were he isn't Ganondorf transformed is Zelda 1, and even then he might be since we weren't given any backstory. I personally don't believe in the multiple Ganondorf theory and I just think that there isn't actually just one storyline, but I won't get into that.

Did they confirm that FSA takes place directly after FS? I don't think so. If we go on assuming that there are multiple Ganondorfs/Ganons, it would make more sense to put FSA between TP and ALttP. Otherwise, we end up in a very odd situation where Ganondorf is reincarnated while he's still alive.
That's the only place FSA can go. FSA Ganon is definitely a different Ganon. But I think it's best to just keep the Four Sword games separate since they cause more questions than answers. Minish Cap alone complicates the crap out of the timeline.

Boney

Banned
Tyeforce said:

where?

and only confirmed timeline are the 3d games

Top Bottom