• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda WiiU "confirmed" for 2016. Wolf Link amiibo compatible.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They could pull the same trick they pulled last year.

"You want Zelda U, Geoff? You're gonna have to show Federation Force."

Good point. I forgot about that. I take back my previous suggestion. It seems like Star Fox Zero is likely to be a good candidate for the event and fills that "you may not want to see this but you have to" slot (not to say that people aren't excited). If it were less Japanese, I'd say #FE could be shown with an English title in that position. I could also see Pikmin 4 being the big reveal, taking Zelda's place, if the franchise were "cooler."

So I say Federation Force or Star Fox are good options for the filler. I also wouldn't be surprised if something like Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam got a trailer.

Or Xenoblade X.
Please.

I expect at least a trailer because the game is launching the next day and The Game Awards feels like the right audience for it. Unfortunately, there's probably nothing new they can announce, but oh well.

mdtauk

They'll show off the world premiere of Retro's Donkey Kong Country in Space

Donkey Kong Universe ...

--------

I would like there to be a long unknown history that happens before Ocarina of Time. Skyward Sword gives us a perfect jumping off point (pun intended) with a fresh setting, and an evil threat that looms over all.

A Link to the Past talks about how when the Triforce faces a threat, a hero is destined to appear. The hero always needs to prove their worth in some form (usually three gems and wielding the Master Sword). But it is a destiny cycle, and as long as the Triforce is in the guardianship of the Royalty of Hyrule, a Zelda will always be there also. 3 forces bound together.

It allows flexibility in what stories can be told, and who knows, maybe Ganon was not the greatest of all evils that emerged from this cycle. Vaati came before, as did Demise. Yuga, Agahnim, Twinrova, Veran, Onyx, Bellum, Malledus, Chancellor Cole followed. (Not all sought the Triforce however)

ReyVGM

Nintendo just distributed dev kits. No way they launch a system with just a year of development for most of its titles. I think we're looking at fall 2017 and not a moment sooner.

Yes, but that was for 3rd parties. Nintendo and their close associates have had the kits or something similar for much longer.

Also, you don't need kits to start developing a game. Nintendo just has to tell companies what their target specs are, and companies can start building a game with that in mind. Once they get the kit, all they have to do is 'port' it. And even if companies weren't developing anything, a year to make ports of some their best games is certainly possible and it happens all the time. Remember the WiiU launched with several high-profile 3rd party games, although some were old by then.

The comments SquareEnix made about porting DQ10, 11 and Final Fantasy 14 to the pretty much non-existent NX gives me great hope that this time, the NX will actually get worthy 3rd party support. But then again, I might just be dreaming too much.

ReyVGM

I wonder how many dungeons the game will have

I hope for 8, but it could be a Majora's Mask situation again. Meaning that the game has so much side-content, that the amount of dungeons isn't that important.

I certainly can see them going with a few big dungeons, and a high variety of smaller dungeons.

Luigiv

And these guys have a bunch of theory videos which are also interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/commonwealthrealm/videos

I refuse to watch any of their videos based off this thumbnail alone.
Ufnwu6j.jpg

Talk about premature.

Anth0ny

I refuse to watch any of their videos based off this thumbnail alone.
Ufnwu6j.jpg

Talk about premature.

are you trying to say that we shouldn't be calling the new zelda the greatest thing ever based on the 3 minutes of early footage we've been shown?

BURN THE WITCH

Anth0ny

If we did that it would be Twilight Princess all over again.

yup. TP was my most hyped game at the time and I was massively disappointed by it. It was the most crushing disappointment I've ever experienced while hyping a game up (and even today is right up there, alongside Brawl).

since then, I've refused to hype up a Zelda game. I didn't even play the DS games until years later. Didn't hype up Skyward Sword... and was somehow still disappointed. fuck. Didn't hype up Link Between Worlds... and WOW what a fucking awesome game.

so I'm 1-1 since TP. I won't be hyping up this game or scouring over video of the game like I did with TP... but since LBW was really great, there's hope for this game? Maybe?

ReyVGM

yup. TP was my most hyped game at the time and I was massively disappointed by it. It was the most crushing disappointment I've ever experienced while hyping a game up (and even today is right up there, alongside Brawl).

since then, I've refused to hype up a Zelda game. I didn't even play the DS games until years later. Didn't hype up Skyward Sword... and was somehow still disappointed. fuck. Didn't hype up Link Between Worlds... and WOW what a fucking awesome game.

so I'm 1-1 since TP. I won't be hyping up this game or scouring over video of the game like I did with TP... but since LBW was really great, there's hope for this game? Maybe?

I hyped what ended up being Ocarina of Time since it was first shown in 1995, until it was released in 1998 and I was disappointed with the game. I of course liked it, but it couldn't possible match my expectations.
I never hyped another Zelda ever again... until Zelda U. I haven't been this excited and this hungry for info, any info, for a long time now.

Twilight Princess was a really chore to complete, and I had to force myself to beat it. The dungeons were good, but everything down to the presentation and graphics felt like it was trying to hard to ape OOT and just soured the whole experience for me.

That and other than Link, it had some ugly character design.

latest

Just terrible and he's just the tip of the iceberg.

Twilight Princess was a really chore to complete, and I had to force myself to beat it. The dungeons were good, but everything down to the presentation and graphics felt like it was trying to hard to ape OOT and just soured the whole experience for me.

latest

The character and art design of that game was the best in the whole Zelda series. It was the normal evolution of OoT...but why do we shit on TP again?

latest

6900459509_c351acdda3_o.jpg

RagnarokX

Is it known for a fact that the white is elevation? That would mean a lot of the coast line is pretty high up compared to the middle of the map. It would kind of make the whole map bowl shaped.

Yes. Definitely. The Game Award footage took place in a valley, which is represented on the map by a darker low land surrounded by lighter mountains. The latest footage shows Link on a high plateau near the ocean.

No it's not. There's blue and red for the ocean and lava. Though the white does probably represent higher elevation.

I do hope there's a snow area.

The terrain is monochromatic and bodies of water (and lava) are shown in color. This is common with such maps. The gradients clearly represent topography, otherwise Death Mountain is covered in ice.

19 minutes of gamexplain talking about...idk, just started watching myself.

Come on, Gamexplain. We've seen Hyrule Castle in the very first screenshot released of the game :p
XGosgW5.jpg

You can see it at the far north end of Hyrule Field, with Death Mountain to the east and the tall mountain being cut in half by Zora's river to the west, which can be seen on the map. You can also see there is a large bridge crossing Zora's River on the map where the castle is in this screenshot:

wbWbd48.jpg

Andre also mistook the bridge over Lake Hylia for the Bridge of Eldin. TP had 2 giant bridges; the one over Lake Hylia was the Great Bridge of Hylia. It was not broken.

I've been thinking about where this could be placed on the timeline based on the limited info we have:
The map is extremely similar to OoT's map with stuff from TP like the Great Bridge of Hylia. Hyrule is already a kingdom with a castle.
The Happy Mask Salesman hinted that he would return in a future Zelda game and that he has new masks for us to try: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...teased_for_a_reappearance_in_a_new_zelda_game
Twilight Princess HD is being released in the same year as the Wii U game and the Wolf Link amiibo is compatible with the new game.
Part of the reason the game was delayed was because the popularity of Majora's Mask 3D inspired the team to add more ideas to the game.

Based on all of this, I'm guessing that Zelda U has a lot to do with Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask and is set somewhere around OoT and TP. It could be a prequel that deals with the dark tribe that created the fused shadow. I'm thinking the game involves the Happy Mask Salesman and transformation masks, and the TP amiibo unlocks some kind of TP transformation mask.

Clefargle

Sure, I'm on. We're only 'betting' that Zelda U is also going to be released for the NX in addition to the Wii U, right?

I'll make some more predictions.
I say that come next E3 2016 (or before that), the NX will be announced and Zelda will also have a port of it for launch. I don't think they'll release the NX version first (like TP was released first for Wii and then for the Gamecube), but it's certainly possible if they want to maximize sales of their new system.

The NX will release fall 2016 with Zelda U/NX. If by any chance the system doesn't launch in fall 2016, then it will be released March 2017 at the latest.

The avatar can be nothing offensive, and I will have it for the duration of E3. No more than that.

Ok deal, I will make it a bit more specific tho:

You win the bet only if Zelda U comes out on the NX (handheld or console) within 6 months of the eventual release date of the Wii U version. I don't care about the other claims about E3 and NX launch date so I won't hold you to them.

The avatar will be tasteful and for the duration of the month of e3. Ok?

ika

Nintendo just distributed dev kits. No way they launch a system with just a year of development for most of its titles. I think we're looking at fall 2017 and not a moment sooner.
Nintendo studios all have development kits/target PCs since last year at the very least, and even before this year E3 there were rumblings about Nintendo showing the NX provisional specs to some third parties. The recent news about Nintendo distributing NX dev software and the new develop web portal could only mean that less important third parties are now receiving info and kits, or that a semi-definitive architecture and specs are set.

Besides, this is not 2010 anymore where a hardware company could wait two whole years between the announcement of a new product and release date. Sony and MS unveiled and released its latest consoles in the same year, and I imagine Nintendo will do the same in 2016. Two years of rumors, cryptic statements and tech demos, pre-alpha screenshots, bullshots and fans speculating about specs and controller gimmicks is not the best policy to generate hype and it didn't really help Nintendo last time. In that period Apple unveiled and released several hardware and Sony & MS wasn't really affected by Nintendo's Project Cafe.

My guess is that Nintendo will make a formal debut for NX next spring when current FY ends, and that they'll give us all the details at E3 or earlier, with a release date planned for next winter, if doesn't get delayed (they're the kings of delaying things after all).

/sorry for the offtopic... I believe we'll get a straight port of this game for NX if they plan to release the home console version at the same time. If they release the NX portable first, then it'll be just a Wii U game...

The terrain is monochromatic and bodies of water (and lava) are shown in color. This is common with such maps. The gradients clearly represent topography, otherwise Death Mountain is covered in ice.

Twilight Princess HD is being released in the same year as the Wii U game and the Wolf Link amiibo is compatible with the new game.
Part of the reason the game was delayed was because the popularity of Majora's Mask 3D inspired the team to add more ideas to the game.

Based on all of this, I'm guessing that Zelda U has a lot to do with Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask and is set somewhere around OoT and TP. It could be a prequel that deals with the dark tribe that created the fused shadow. I'm thinking the game involves the Happy Mask Salesman and transformation masks, and the TP amiibo unlocks some kind of TP transformation mask.
Yeah the only place I could see a snowy region being would be near the lower left hand corner. Or if we get season changes but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that. Same applies to the return of the masks concept.

The Game Xplain analysis I think is off base with the stealth elements but I don't think they may be as off base about the tent stuff. Aonuma mentioned that with Zelda Wii U he wanted to try a different approach with the puzzle aspect:
I think people have come to just assume that puzzle-solving will exist in a Zelda game, and I kinda wanna change that, maybe turn it on its ear.

As a player progresses through any game, they’re making choices. They’re making hopefully logical choices to progress them in the game. And when I hear ‘puzzle solving’ I think of like moving blocks so that a door opens or something like that. But I feel like making those logical choices and taking information that you received previously and making decisions based on that can also be a sort of puzzle-solving. So I wanna kinda rethink or maybe reconstruct the idea of puzzle-solving within the Zelda universe.
http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-wants-to-rethinkreconstruct-puzzle-solving-in-zelda-wii-u/

I think something more like setting up camp and managing items might be more apart of the new puzzle solving aspect aonuma is referring to.

As for the time line, I'm guessing this is between SS and OoT. As Game Xplain mentioned it seems like it's after they've settled the surface world but have yet to establish a kingdom. The overall design of the woods and eldin volcano region look similar to how they were in SS. Given the Wolf link/ Midna compatibility I'm curious if the plot will be based around the backstory of the twili. They mentioned that the interlopers started a battle trying to seize control of the triforce and the sacred realm using their dark magic. This seemed to happen early on in the formation of Hyrule definitely pre-OoT. It'd also fit since it'd be too early for Ganondorf as the main villain unless they wanted to do another new/reincarnated one but I felt Ganondorf from OoT should remain the original one.

RagnarokX

Yeah the only place I could see a snowy region being would be near the lower left hand corner. Or if we get season changes but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that. Same applies to the return of the masks concept.

The Game Xplain analysis I think is off base with the stealth elements but I don't think they may be as off base about the tent stuff. Aonuma mentioned that with Zelda Wii U he wanted to try a different approach with the puzzle aspect:

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-wants-to-rethinkreconstruct-puzzle-solving-in-zelda-wii-u/

I think something more like setting up camp and managing items might be more apart of the new puzzle solving aspect aonuma is referring to.

As for the time line, I'm guessing this is between SS and OoT. As Game Xplain mentioned it seems like it's after they've settled the surface world but have yet to establish a kingdom. The overall design of the woods and eldin volcano region look similar to how they were in SS. Given the Wolf link/ Midna compatibility I'm curious if the plot will be based around the backstory of the twili. They mentioned that the interlopers started a battle trying to seize control of the triforce and the sacred realm using their dark magic. This seemed to happen early on in the formation of Hyrule definitely pre-OoT. It'd also fit since it'd be too early for Ganondorf as the main villain unless they wanted to do another new/reincarnated one but I felt Ganondorf from OoT should remain the original one.

The northwest portion could be ice. I mean, that is where Snowpeak is in TP. It's just the whiteness has nothing to do with it. That place looks pretty flat, which makes me doubt it's snowy mountains, and it's in about the same location as the desert in OoT. The map overall has more similarities to OoT than TP.

I agree that it could be an OoT prequel, but not for the reasons Gamexplain thinks so. The kingdom has definitely already been established because we can see the castle and there are multiple settlements across the land. Don't forget that in the Adult timeline they decided to completely skip the settlement of New Hyrule.

From what I can tell it has something to do with Majora's Mask and TP and will feature the Happy Mask Salesman and his masks. Since the map is so similar to OoT with TP elements, it could also be between those two games.

Top Bottom