• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Marvel vs. Capcom series debuted 20 Years ago #YIPES4MAHVEL4!

Tizoc

I checked and I found I hadn't made a thread for the overall series ;)

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
tumblr_myajplDkh21qmh1j8o1_1280.jpg

xvs-fly4.jpg
xvs-fly6.jpg

Oz5DkoS.png

Originally released to arcades on Sep. 1996, Capcom, having the Marvel license released one of the most unexpected crossovers ever: X-Men vs. Street Fighter, pitting characters of the two popular franchises against each other.

Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2 had released earlier in 1996 and Capcom used character sprites from it to also help promote the Alpha game...though it was also because those sprites were already available and easy to work on to begin with :V

What is of interest is that this game introduces Shadaloo Cammy who was added in an updated ver. of SFA2 and was also featured primarily in SFA3.

Gameplaywise it mixes up the chain combo and introduces a tag mechanic where you can switch out the character or call them in to perform a double super move.

xmvsf.gif

Notice how the characters are arranged in a 4 by 4 square with Gouki at the top making it 9 Capcom characters against 8 Marvel characters.

From the Marvel side, Gambit and Rogue were added to the roster along with Sabretooth. The reamining 5 characters are all from the original X-Men CotA.
Apocalypse was made the final boss and is playable on console versions.

Interestingly enough XvSF uses X-Men CotA's character select theme, which is still hype to this day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1re76nV8ew

Bonus: Bengus X-Men CotA art for the Japanese release.

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
More awesome artwork in here
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=3625&image=3

MSHvSF was released in 1997 on Arcades and ported to the Saturn and PSOne.
The roster is switched up with mainly Cyclops and Wolverine returning, the remaining Marvel cast are from Marvel Super Heroes being: Spiderman, Hulk, Shuma Gorath, Omega Red & Blackheart.
From the SF side, ChunLi got her traditional SF2 outfit and Sakura and Dan are added to the roster.
1.png

There are 2 interesting things about MSHvSF's characters:
The first is Norimaru
Mshvsf_norimaro_super1.gif
Mshvsf_norimaro_super2.gif
Mshvsf_norimaro_super3.gif
Mshvsf_norimaro_super4.gif

Mshvsf_norimaro_super5.gif
Mshvsf_norimaro_super6.gif
Mshvsf_norimaro_super7.gif

Norimaro is a "joke" character based on comedian Noritaro Kinashi. While I can't recall the circumstances that led to having this character in the game, he remains within the game's code and is generally playable in the JP versions of the game, however his lines are translated into English and with a few dip switching or hacking can be played in the English releases. Norimaru's ending with proper translation

The other interesting thing is..Karin's sprite in the MSHvSF code!
MSHvSF_karin.gif

This is likely an early prototype of Karin, who debuted in the 1996 manga Sakura Ganbaru! She would not become a playable character until 1998's SFA3.

Mention should also be made of the scrapped Blackheart super that never made it into the game

The game also features 6 'EX' characters:
US Agent- This is just Captain America with different color palletes
Mephisto- This is just Blackheart with different color palletes
Armored Spiderman- Spiderman but he cannot be hitstun

Mech-Zangief- Debuting in this game he is slower than Zangief but gets additional attacks as well as super armor meaning he cannot be knocked down etc.
Dark Sakura/Tanned Sakura- She utilizes a mixed moveset between her normal self and Gouki/Evil Ryu, including performing the Hadoken horizontally instead of diagonally.
Shadow (Nash)- Nash from XvSF returns but his sprite is darkened out. Accordingly to the plot this is Nash after Shadaloo turned him into one of their agents. He uses similar movelists to his XvSF ver. and moves generally faster. Interestingly enough, his eyes gleam before performing a super move which is brought back for his super in SF5.

Gameplay-wise MSHvSF wasn't as well received as XvSF and IIRC is generally seen as the weakest of the Versus series. Gotta give it credit for the announcer being all hyped up though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVnk7dTFCI

The game also featured a new boss in the form of Mech-Gouki aka Cyber Akuma
GFvYP5P.png

Interestingly enough, Dan's ending in this game is a riff of Art of Fighting 1's ending/Art of Fighting 2's intro.

Bonus: MSH artwork by Bengus

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Superheroes

Akiman was primary artist on this game apparently, and it was released originally in 1998, a whole year before SNK would utilize the Striker system...which in turn it got from the Mahvel versus games :V

This game changed up the primary roster significantly
Capcom side: Ryu, ChunLi, Zangief, Morrigan, Rockman/Megaman, Jin Saotome, Strider Hiryu & Captain Commando
Marvel side: Wolverine, Gambit, Spiderman, Hulk, Venom, War Machine & Captain America

At the time of the game's release, Ironman was being planned to get a movie made for him during the late 90s but of course nothing came through. Because Capcom couldn't use Ironman, they instead recolored him, giving him his SUNDAY'S BEST, and altered his moves to utilize rockets and missiles as War Machine.

The game featured secret characters as well:
Roll is the only unique secret character, not being an EX/variation of the initial 15 character cast. She has a few similar moves to Megaman along with her own specials, but is generally one of the weaker characters in the game.
Lilith/EX Morrigan is, story-wise, Lilith's person taking over Morrigan's body. She has a different color pallete and altered specials. Perhaps the game's data was so bloated already they couldn't add Lilith's sprite to the game?
Shadow Lady is ChunLi after being turned into a cyborg by Shadaloo. She has different attacks to regular ChunLi and like Lilith/EX Morrigan, has her own unique ending.

Gold War Machine is a variation of War Machine with super armor meaning he is unaffected by hitstun.
Orange Hulk is Hulk without his super armor.
Red Venom is a sped up variation of Venom but with less health. Think of him as Carnage with infinite Gen'ei-jin and Chipp's health stats from GGXX.

The game's final boss is Onslaught, replacing Apocalypse.

When fought he begins as a tall humanoid form with super armor, but after defeating this form he turns into a giant but his helmet is gone revealing his skull-like head, and having characters BEHOLD HIS MIGHTY HAND!

MvC1 was more well received than its predecessors although Strider and Wolverine were a too overpowered combo.
The game features nearly 20 assist characters whose primary purpose is to be called out to perform a special attack. Each assist character can only be summoned a set number of times and there are ways to choose a specific assist character before a match.

One interesting oddity about MvC1 is that for whatever reason every character's portriat has them facing a direction for some reason.
MvC2-noscale.jpg

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
z2nWNri.png

MvC2 features the BIGGEST roster in a fighting game ever, which isn't helped when you have 2 Wolverines in the same game.

The game was originally released to arcades in 2000 just as Capcom's Marvel license was expiring. The game itself had been said to be barely sticking together for it to run and has a lot of crazy shit going on with its gameplay and balance.
Non of that matters though because one can still play it for brainless fun.

MvC2 was another pillar that kept the FGC scene going until SF4 revitalized the scene, and it was thanks in part to the greatest ENGLISH FG hype man of all: Yipes
3925145_o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ga9Jvdw9U

...and for using one of the grooviest character select theme of all time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

(Ultimate) Marvel vs. Capcom 3
In 2010, the unexpected had happened: a new Marvel vs. Capcom game was announced, set for release in early 2011!
The game initially released on Xbox 360 and PS3, with its updated re-release, Ultimate MvC3 releasing later in the same year!
You'd think Capcom would've used a similar release structure to SSF4 at the time, but nope this was a complete new retail release.
One wonders if this was really due to the Toho Earthquake & Tsunami or because of Disney's acquisition of Marvel.

Non the less UMvC3 featured a far more varied cast of characters and has a wonderful soundtrack. The overall core gameplay felt pretty balanced to me and was an overall fun game to mess around in.

Marvel vs. Capcom 4?
There are rumors of a new Mahvel game in the works, but we'll know if it is true or not in the coming week.
As to what BS Capcpom will pull off with this game it'll be anyone's guess, but a release structure similar to Super SF4 is pretty ideal for any fighting game IMO.

What're some of your fav. memories and moments from playing the series?
Me and my brothers played the heck out of PS1 MvC1 even though the PSOne versions couldn't do the tag system due to hardware limitations but it did introduce us to Jin Saotome...whom we never saw again in any other game :V Fortunately Cyberbots and its predecessor are available in the Capcom Classics collections last I checked.

Vex_

Banned
So basically xmen get their asses beat and then a year later in '97 , they came back with more characters from Marvel to try to compete?

Xmen vs sf
Marvel vs sf lmaooo!
Marvel vs capcom
...and so on.

That's my headcanon anyways.

-----------------------

Nah but for real, I know none of this canon, but doesnt the vs series mention that only ken remembers what happened after waking up back in the SF universe? Everyone else forgot?

Renekton

All of Capcom fighters, COTA and the Marvel crossovers were the most unbalanced, exploit-crazy, infinite-filled games I have ever seen. I still can't believe people turn them into high-level e-sports.

Contrast that with MOBAs like LoL where +5% representation of a certain character means the game is broken and unplayable beyond repair.

Eolz

Great thread until the MvC4 part.
More seriously, not my favourite VS Capcom series, but still a super fun one with a lot of love behind it.

Sanctuary

X-Men vs Street Fighter was one of my most played fighting games. Played the hell out of it at the arcade (when they were actually still a thing), and with friends daily on the Saturn. I wasn't beyond doing infinites either.

Renekton

X-Men vs Street Fighter was one of my most played fighting games. Played the hell out of it at the arcade (when they were actually still a thing), and with friends daily on the Saturn. I wasn't beyond doing infinites either.
Did you use the RAM cart?

bunkitz

As excited as I am at the potential of a fourth Marvel vs. Capcom game, it just won't be the same without Wolverine... Fuck you, Perlmutter.

Sanctuary

Did you use the RAM cart?

Yeah. You couldn't play it any other way could you? Initially I had to do the yank out swap, but later ended up getting a 4-in-1 or something that removed the need to swap. Similarly with Marvel Superheroes. The Saturn version with the ram cart shit all over the Playstation version.

gelf

I still prefer where it really all began with X-Men COTA and Marvel Super Heroes. The crossovers lost something for me and I'd love a stand alone Marvel Fighter again.

I really would like to know just how the hell this crossover even came to be.

I know that Kingdom Hearts happened in large part due to Square and Disney sharing the same office building at their Japan offices.

This series is responsible for getting me into fighting games as a kid. I played the living shit out of MVC1 and enjoyed everything it had to offer. And then, I heard MVC2 was coming out for the PS2, and I bought it. To this day, I still play it and probably have put in thousands of hours.

entremet

As a long time SF fan, the VS series has mostly been underwhelming.

I adored COTA and MSH, but when it started going versus, I lost interest in that style of game.

Tried again with MvC3 and Ultimate and still not compelling.

The fanbase is dedicated and passionate at least. But the game style is not my bag.

In terms of Capcom Fighters, SF and Vampire are more my pace.

Varth

"Remember when Bengus crafted awesome art" thread.

Edit: holy shit, beaten by 3rd post and its quote too.

nded

The series actually started when Akuma made a guest appearance in X-Men: Children of the Atom. That's really the only thing about the Akuma SFV event reveal being a secret MvC4 teaser that makes sense to me.

9g2J3rj.gif

Neoxon

MvC1 is what got me into video games & comic books in general (it was my first game ever). I owe a lot to the franchise, & I hope that the rumors of MvC4 happening are true.

I use to have Marverl Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter on PS1 but loaned it to a friend and never got it back unfortunately. Loved it tho. Best Shuma Gorath and best Sakura!

Vic_Viper

Awesome fighting game series that deserves another entry asap. Got marvel vs capcom with my Dreamcast and played it non stop. If I could own one game cabinet it would be one of these amazing games.

Beautiful thread.

Would be a dream come true to get more MAAHVEL. It has been by far my favorite fighting game franchise since the days of Street Fighter 2 CE.

I

Wanna

Take

You

For

A

Ride

Catchiest song of all time.

should be near the top of any gaming music list. Capcom would have a strong presence in any top lists, actually.

Vorg

Banned
I remember my jaw hitting the floor when I first played x-men vs street fighter. That shit looked straight up insane at the time and I remember spending a small fortune on that arcade machine that day. I was so hyped for a ps1 home conversion and then... it happened. Yeah... I still played the crap out of it and had a good time. Warts and all.

JayEH

Got good memories playing mvc2 at a pizza place I used to go as a kid. Never really played much 3.

robot

Giving Ryu the ability to transform into Ken & Akuma in MvC solved one of my biggest problems with MvSF - too many damn shotos.

It's a shame we lost Cyclops in MvC because otherwise it's my favorite of the series. I wasn't too crazy about 3 man teams in the later games, but it didn't stop me from playing the shit out of em.

Neoxon

The irony that X-Men helped kickstart this franchise and yet there's actually a chance they'll be left out of the next entry.
It's a shame, really. Hopefully Marvel Entertainment doesn't have their heads so far up their asses to where they don't recognize Mahvel tradition. Or to be more specific, I hope their epiphany about their treatment of the Fox properties came in time for MvC4 if it's indeed happening.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I consider XMCOTA to be the real start of the trajectory, even though i liked MSH way better.

Top Bottom