• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's just a bad game filled with grinding, empty worlds, and shallow fetch quests to check boxes for those fans who kept complaining about the loss of "RPG" elements in ME2.

ME3's development issues are well documented. It was initially rushed leading to lots of cut content on Palaven and Thessia that destroyed the mid-game storytelling, but was pushed back for polishing and marketing. Jaavik was removed from the game to sell as DLC. Writers didn't talk to each other. The multiplayer was initially a separate, stand-alone competitive deathmatch FPS that was rebooted and retooled into the co-op TPS add-on we now know.

I can't argue that the third act of ME3 took a noticeable dip in quality as it entered the third act, but I don't buy into it being troubled since they had to cut content. Witches 3 had cut content, but I don't think anybody feels that game was troubled.

But maybe we are defining troubled differently. I define troubled as having the game restarted, people leaving during development, delay after delay.

Renekton

The game needs two more big patches before we start the campaign. Already in first map, teammates got randomly stuck on T-poses during combat or trying to mate with a furniture.

Caboose

This game seems too big for its own good. The best received game critically was the one that cut all the fat and focused solely on memorable side missions and characters (ME2)

SliChillax

Mild spoilers after Eos
What is really grinding my gears in this game is how poorly Bioware did the sequence when we first meet the Angaran race. You just discovered a new race ffs,
be more surprised or excited. It's like they were meeting new people, not a new race from a fucking different galaxy.
Still no explenation so far on why they speak english. Aren't the milky way characters not curious about how they know the language? I know in the original trilogy they had a universal translator but in Andromeda? When did they get that? I just expected more emotion and wowness from the characters. And why do the angarans also call the kett the same way like us? Milky way species invented the name kett and remnant, surely it can't be a coincidence that the angarans also call them the same? I mean all this stuff can be explained in one simple line in the game but Bioware didn't bother. It's really annoying how much lack of detail there is in the writing.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Nope, you can make one.

Krogan Engineer 💘

Krogan engi is pretty rad, overload+carnage is a fantastic combo.

Though I'm more about that asari adept now, she's almost as great as the n7 fury, too bad she doesn't have teleports and infinite biotic combos.

koji

Krogan engi is pretty rad, overload+carnage is a fantastic combo.

Though I'm more about that asari adept now, she's almost as great as the n7 fury, too bad she doesn't have teleports and infinite biotic combos.

Yeah shame they stripped warp from the Asari Adept arsenal, she used to rek shit in ME3...

Been mostly playing with the Human Engineer cause it's the best I have atm, oh and a Krogan Vanguard but I'm not too confident with that, yet.

Warp is entirely gone or what?

Maledict

Meh, I'm not even enjoying the multiplayer. Not only does it look worse than ME3 on my PC due to the graphics settings, but it seems to have a number of issues:

1) The enemies simply aren't as interesting or varied as those in ME3. Geth, Collectors, Reapers and Cerberus all had character and different styles, this doesn't seem to be the same.

2) Enemies feel like bullet sponges in a way they didn't in ME3.

3) Bronze is definitely harder - I've been failing numerous missions right now.

4) Possibly because of the change in engine, but it seems like you can have a lot more enemies on the map at once now, and they can spawn much closer to you. That's removed a lot of strategy from the game that I enjoyed.

Some of it I'm sure will be adjusted with patches and free DLC - right now none of the characters are that interesting,. but neither was the initial ME3 roster. But all in all it doesn't feel like the return to form I was praying for, and whilst I like the unlinked power cooldown it's not enough for me to justify buying the game and investing in it.

Xando

So has anyone discovered how to upgrade your Nomad?
And is there some kind of stash or bank or something to clear some mods from the inventory?

I'll give you that Bronze at least seems harder, but I think there's some rose tinted glasses there, because I remember failing the first few attempts in Bronze when I started off, and only beating them once I had levelled up a little and gotten some equipment, and the same things seems to have happened here. I "cleared" bronze for the first time this morning doing an APEX mission, but the airquotes are there because on the last wave I got wedged between a Fiend and an Ascendant and the Fiend ate me, but the rest of the group extracted.

I also realized on this last run that it was the first time a PUG I was with cleared wave 6...and then remembered that I have these things called Cobra RPGs that clear the big nasties real quick that I still haven't used.

So I think the game seems harder now, but will seem easier once we level up some and get some gear, just like in ME3MP.

I'll give you that Bronze at least seems harder, but I think there's some rose tinted glasses there, because I remember failing the first few attempts in Bronze when I started off, and only beating them once I had levelled up a little and gotten some equipment, and the same things seems to have happened here. I "cleared" bronze for the first time this morning doing an APEX mission, but the airquotes are there because on the last wave I got wedged between a Fiend and an Ascendant and the Fiend ate me, but the rest of the group extracted.

I also realized on this last run that it was the first time a PUG I was with cleared wave 6...and then remembered that I have these things called Cobra RPGs that clear the big nasties real quick that I still haven't used.

So I think the game seems harder now, but will seem easier once we level up some and get some gear, just like in ME3MP.
Yup, getting PUGs to use consumbles on wave 6 is the biggest challenge. Or just even equiping ammo powers. You lose half the combo potential by not doing so. In ME3 I had consumbles for years so don't horde them.

Mild spoilers after Eos
What is really grinding my gears in this game is how poorly Bioware did the sequence when we first meet the Angaran race. You just discovered a new race ffs,
be more surprised or excited. It's like they were meeting new people, not a new race from a fucking different galaxy.
Still no explenation so far on why they speak english. Aren't the milky way characters not curious about how they know the language? I know in the original trilogy they had a universal translator but in Andromeda? When did they get that? I just expected more emotion and wowness from the characters. And why do the angarans also call the kett the same way like us? Milky way species invented the name kett and remnant, surely it can't be a coincidence that the angarans also call them the same? I mean all this stuff can be explained in one simple line in the game but Bioware didn't bother. It's really annoying how much lack of detail there is in the writing.

Yeah I had many of the same concerns tbh,
it should have taken them much longer to trust us. Especially since the Angaran you first talk to says that she 'knows' about you being milky way visitors, but then doesn't actually explain how e.g. a presumed prior meeting with the Exiles. I'm assuming this is how they have our language + a universal translator may have been developed since first contact with the Kett, but it's still very messy.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Bronze is not harder..me3mp was the same at the start. Once you get better weapons it will seem as throwaway as late-life me3

Yeah shame they stripped warp from the Asari Adept arsenal, she used to rek shit in ME3...

Been mostly playing with the Human Engineer cause it's the best I have atm, oh and a Krogan Vanguard but I'm not too confident with that, yet.

Warp is entirely gone or what?
Yeah warp is gone but she still wrecks shit cause of her being n7 fury-light now and asari having the fastest dodge.
Once you get a weapon that deals with shields quickly, she's fairly unstoppable.
And that's me using a barely upgraded one on silver

Yup, getting PUGs to use consumbles on wave 6 is the biggest challenge. Or just even equiping ammo powers. You lose half the combo potential by not doing so. In ME3 I had consumbles for years so don't horde them.

Yeah I'm not gonna hoard them from here on out. I honestly straight up forgot they were a thing.

Meh, I'm not even enjoying the multiplayer. Not only does it look worse than ME3 on my PC due to the graphics settings, but it seems to have a number of issues:

1) The enemies simply aren't as interesting or varied as those in ME3. Geth, Collectors, Reapers and Cerberus all had character and different styles, this doesn't seem to be the same.

2) Enemies feel like bullet sponges in a way they didn't in ME3.

3) Bronze is definitely harder - I've been failing numerous missions right now.

4) Possibly because of the change in engine, but it seems like you can have a lot more enemies on the map at once now, and they can spawn much closer to you. That's removed a lot of strategy from the game that I enjoyed.

Some of it I'm sure will be adjusted with patches and free DLC - right now none of the characters are that interesting,. but neither was the initial ME3 roster. But all in all it doesn't feel like the return to form I was praying for, and whilst I like the unlinked power cooldown it's not enough for me to justify buying the game and investing in it.

Possibly the consequence of being more RPG focused.

Thinking about the mp, I don't think I would like it as much without an elite controller. With the new jump pack options: jump, dash, and dropdown-meelee, there is too much going on to remove your hand from aim, and pull off those combo moves. I need the jump, dash, and meelee mapped to the paddles (with a fourth option open, which I will probably map lb+rb).

Perhaps there is a slightly more tough learning curve to combat than before due to this. I like that, but I understand those who don't.

koji

Thinking about the mp, I don't think I would like it as much without an elite controller. With the new jump pack options: jump, dash, and dropdown-meelee, there is too much going on to remove your hand from aim, and pull off those combo moves. I need the jump, dash, and meelee mapped to the paddles (with a fourth option open, which I will probably map lb+rb).

Perhaps there is a slightly more tough learning curve to combat than before due to this. I like that, but I understand those who don't.

Oh man, imagine that on the keyboard and mouse, you really need either a controller or the skill buttons mapped to your mouse... Powering up or channeling a skill while moving around with WASD is some next lvl shit.

Oh man, imagine that on the keyboard and mouse, you really need either a controller or the skill buttons mapped to your mouse... Powering up or channeling a skill while moving around with WASD is some next lvl shit.
Yeah, i didnt think about that. In ME3 mp it was the PC guys who were soloing platinum first. But the new combat emphasizes mobility slightly more. And I think controllers are better at mobility than kbm, although less precise at aim. We'll see though.

ViciousDS

Banned
my steelcase got delayed in shipping.......bbaaahhhhh

WAIT WTF

They shipped the game UPS but the Steelcase FedEx.....WHY

FedEx fucking sucks.....why does best buy continue using that shit tier company.

KingParappa

Neo Member
it should have taken them much longer to trust us. Especially since the Angaran you first talk to says that she 'knows' about you being milky way visitors, but then doesn't actually explain how e.g. a presumed prior meeting with the Exiles. I'm assuming this is how they have our language + a universal translator may have been developed since first contact with the Kett, but it's still very messy.
That was one thing I liked about what I played so far. We don't immediately know the Kett language. I think the writing team just didn't go over the script in the moments you two mentioned

I've basically been playing non-stop. Taking a break to update for the new Nvidia driver. Loving it so far. There are some things that have annoyed me(some of the writing, the open world "check list" of chores that can easily overwhelm), but I'm totally sucked in.

Mindlog

The game made an unbelievably bad first impression on me.
As a Mass Effect fan the world + Frostbite should have been a no challenge out of the park homerun. Everything felt off. The animations were not only sub-par, but stuttering. Something about the lighting and textures looked off. Why does this area look like a direct ME1 port and we're not talking about architecture? The lack of ambient music is baffling. The horrendous FPS dips during my first mission.

Then a little nugget of 'this is more like it' when the feeling of Mass Effect + Frostbite finally creeps in. The game is growing on me, but there's no way the introduction should have been that shaky. Still very early.

SliChillax

The lack of ambient music is baffling.

This 100000000x

It is there sometimes but not always

Yeah the writing is just mediocre so far. Everything else is amazing but they need to improve on writing for their next game.

kpzero

Neo Member
This thread moves slower than the andromeda thread so decided to post this here.

Can I get some confirmation from others here that I am not hearing things? To me it sounds like Tali's VA is voicing the turian Darket Tiervian. She is listed on IMDB but no specific character.

X-Frame

I have to commend BioWare for being so active and responsive, especially on Twitter. I tweeted at Mike Gamble and Ian Frazier and they literally responded a minute after.

Ian confirmed that they are aware of PS4 Pro frame rate drops and Mike confirmed that the MP should expect frequent balance changes (I asked because ME3 MP had weekly balance changes which is still nuts to me now).

Guys

Multi is good.

It's so damn good.

I'm fucking loving it. I've got snappy performance, it looks pretty decent considering my settings, and good god damn is the Scorpion a hell of a gun. I don't remember it being this good.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It seems if you unlock early via vpn, you can just disable the vpn forever until you actually reboot Origin.
Rebooting the game doesn't affect the unlock at all.

Big Nikus

It seems if you unlock early via vpn, you can just disable the vpn forever until you actually reboot Origin.
Rebooting the game doesn't affect the unlock at all.

I can confirm. Pretty cool since the game isn't officially out until thursday here in Europe.

I'm gonna need custom box arts for Origin though, I'm not digging the default ones. If anybody find some good ones, please share :)

Renekton

Guys

Multi is good.

It's so damn good.

I'm fucking loving it. I've got snappy performance, it looks pretty decent considering my settings, and good god damn is the Scorpion a hell of a gun. I don't remember it being this good.
As long as it works, the EA servers keep booting me.

Also got vote-kicked in bronze lol.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
1 more thing that sucks about MP...
Why are y'all joining silver and up with lvl 1 characters... like the game doesn't even default to random, but to bronze so you actively have to pick it...

Please, please stop doing this people.

Mindlog

1 More thing about mutiplayer. Got lucky with a Revenant early!
Randomly tried out other weapons and the Equalizer seems to be even better. Neat.

My Krogan Mercenary is about ready for Silver. Time to jump up the power ladder.

Guys

Multi is good.

It's so damn good.

This multiplayer is aces for sure.

The Vanquisher is my current main. What a sniper.

Man, dashing around a krogan mid charge while laying down fire with your smg and then throwing and popping a singularity with a shockwave is so addictive. It's kinda crazy how much the dash adds to the general flow of combat, giving you way more movement options to deal with a situation.

Dany

Banned
after just two hours......fuck scanning, I can tell this is going to suck

They lay it on thick in the beginning. But it stinks. I would rather have a ping that highlights stuff in-real-time. Or a minimap with a ping that shows whats scannable.

ViciousDS

Banned
They lay it on thick in the beginning. But it stinks. I would rather have a ping that highlights stuff in-real-time. Or a minimap with a ping that shows whats scannable.

yes, that first planet was...........terrible. just everything. Combat is fucking amazing.....and I actually don't mind the animations as much as I thought I would.

Scanning is the worst part of the game though

Top Bottom