• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

dr_rus

With Andromeda it was EA seeing if they could continue this franchise into a new generation. Montreal seemed to feel the same way; a restart for the franchise. Mixed critical and commercial reception sends a message that this investment isn't worthwhile, for a number of reasons, and money spent on Mass Effect's future could be better spent elsewhere.

Their feedback loop is completely broken if that's the message they got from MEA's troubles.

prag16

Banned
Their feedback loop is completely broken if that's the message they got from MEA's troubles.

Was gonna say exactly this. As was said it's tough to really blame EA for most of Andromeda's troubles, but I can sure as hell blame them for being deaf and blind if this was their takeaway.

Maledict

Was gonna say exactly this. As was said it's tough to really blame EA for most of Andromeda's troubles, but I can sure as hell blame them for being deaf and blind if this was their takeaway.

But it isn't broken. As a company, they'd be damn stupid to take any other lesson.

Let's Remember Mass Effect isn't Halo. Whilst it has a loud group of extremely vocal fans, as a game it's only ever done 'well', never stellar. Dragon Age is the bigger franchise. Between the disaster that was Me3's ending and this game, sinking any further resources into the mass effect brand just doesn't make any sense.

It's not just about whether they can make another game - it's about whether the resources could be deployed elsewhere to greater advantage. And it's sad to say but that's probably the case.

(Also, let's not kid ourselves - the game is much improved since launch, but it's still riddled with animation and graphical bugs that look wildly out of place compared to any other triple aaa game. Why does male default shepherd look half asleep in every single cutscenes? Why is there a random drunk lady outside the tempest on Eos? Why are the guards in the Nexus constantly crouching?)

yunbuns

So despite not liking how this game looked since the beginning I took a chance and bought it since the deluxe edition was only $30 on Amazon. I have to say that I actually like it so far? I mean I side eye certain things and feel like I have to straight up ignore that the original trilogy exists to accept some parts but it's not as bad as I was expecting it to be.

The npcs do look pretty bad though and I don't think they did a good job with introducing the Kett as villains like how the Geth and the Collectors were introduced but oh well.

diaspora

So despite not liking how this game looked since the beginning I took a chance and bought it since the deluxe edition was only $30 on Amazon. I have to say that I actually like it so far? I mean I side eye certain things and feel like I have to straight up ignore that the original trilogy exists to accept some parts but it's not as bad as I was expecting it to be.

The npcs do look pretty bad though and I don't think they did a good job with introducing the Kett as villains like how the Geth and the Collectors were introduced but oh well.

There are games I'm much more forgiving of for the price. I paid $38 for this at launch so I've been more forgiving of it through two 100+ hour playthroughs but I still feel like their fundamental design philosophy is broken and people's focus on the writing is largely misguided.

But it isn't broken. As a company, they'd be damn stupid to take any other lesson.

Let's Remember Mass Effect isn't Halo. Whilst it has a loud group of extremely vocal fans, as a game it's only ever done 'well', never stellar. Dragon Age is the bigger franchise. Between the disaster that was Me3's ending and this game, sinking any further resources into the mass effect brand just doesn't make any sense.

It's not just about whether they can make another game - it's about whether the resources could be deployed elsewhere to greater advantage. And it's sad to say but that's probably the case.

(Also, let's not kid ourselves - the game is much improved since launch, but it's still riddled with animation and graphical bugs that look wildly out of place compared to any other triple aaa game. Why does male default shepherd look half asleep in every single cutscenes? Why is there a random drunk lady outside the tempest on Eos? Why are the guards in the Nexus constantly crouching?)
I think equally importantly is how they could even sink more resources into the franchise even if they wanted to? They're not giving it back to Montreal, and most of Edmonton is on Anthem or preproduction for DA4 while Austin is either assisting with Anthem or working on SWTOR stuff. BioWare Edmonton for all intents and purposes was done with ME after 3 so... who at EA or BioWare even wants to make another ME game in the first place right now?

Patryn

I think equally importantly is how they could even sink more resources into the franchise even if they wanted to? They're not giving it back to Montreal, and most of Edmonton is on Anthem or preproduction for DA4 while Austin is either assisting with Anthem or working on SWTOR stuff. BioWare Edmonton for all intents and purposes was done with ME after 3 so... who at EA or BioWare even wants to make another ME game in the first place right now?

At this point, I honestly expect that they're in active production for DA4. I'm guessing they want it to be a 2019 title, and 2 years of production sound about right.

yunbuns

There are games I'm much more forgiving of for the price. I paid $38 for this at launch so I've been more forgiving of it through two 100+ hour playthroughs but I still feel like their fundamental design philosophy is broken and people's focus on the writing is largely misguided.

Yeah I'm still at the very, very beginning of the game so my opinion could drastically change the further I go on.

Not really enjoying Andromeda as much as the first three.

To the point that I almost don't want to continue. I never thought that would ever be possible.

diaspora

I was having this discussion in the discord, but I problem I have with this game- which also exists in the others but is magnified in being a collection of sandboxes is the really... bad biomes. You've got a hot desert, a hot and irradiated desert, a ice desert, a dark as shit forest, and... Kadara. Like, Eos, Voeld, and Elaaden are some of the least imaginative shit ever and it's not like the OT was better at this- it's just the OT didn't have explorable worlds in the first place (ME1 tried but it was equally shitty). Shit, change the sand on Elaaden to a bright red or hot pink and make the sinkholes green. Fuck it- we're in Andromeda it doesn't have to make sense. In the end the most visually innovative planet was Habitat 7 and we were there for like 10-15 minutes.

prag16

Banned
I was having this discussion in the discord, but I problem I have with this game- which also exists in the others but is magnified in being a collection of sandboxes is the really... bad biomes. You've got a hot desert, a hot and irradiated desert, a ice desert, a dark as shit forest, and... Kadara. Like, Eos, Voeld, and Elaaden are some of the least imaginative shit ever and it's not like the OT was better at this- it's just the OT didn't have explorable worlds in the first place (ME1 tried but it was equally shitty). Shit, change the sand on Elaaden to a bright red or hot pink and make the sinkholes green. Fuck it- we're in Andromeda it doesn't have to make sense. In the end the most visually innovative planet was Habitat 7 and we were there for like 10-15 minutes.
Can't disagree. Meridian was neat but we never get any opportunity to look around.

diaspora

Can't disagree. Meridian was neat but we never get any opportunity to look around.

I mean, this series abandoned any semblance of hard scifi in game one- they ought to go all out and yet they remain remarkably conservative in the visual design of most of the worlds across the entire franchise.

Lucreto

Hopefully we will get a definitive answer at Montreal Comic Con for dlc.

DD1hSlAWAAEiBgq.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Brief Q&A*
*Does not include any questions about DLC or troubled development.

"So... looks like no one have any question. Thank you & have a nice day!" - Bioware

Bombless

Brief Q&A*
*Does not include any questions about DLC or troubled development.

"So... looks like no one have any question. Thank you & have a nice day!" - Bioware

That's exactly what I was thinking. In other news, Batarian class coming to MP this Thursday.

prag16

Banned
While it's sad for Mass Effect, it's cool we're getting so many fresh games from EA. Anthem, Jade Raymond's game, Amy Hennig's game - excited for all of them.

To be clear, we have the Battlefront 2 campaign (Motive), the Hennig game (Visceral), and... another Motive game? This article seems to think the "in the style of Uncharted" game is Raymond's game? But that was the description largely used for Hennig's game. Are they the same game, or is there a Motive game in development separate from the BF2 campaign, and separate from the Visceral game?

Ralemont

not me
To be clear, we have the Battlefront 2 campaign (Motive), the Hennig game (Visceral), and... another Motive game? This article seems to think the "in the style of Uncharted" game is Raymond's game? But that was the description largely used for Hennig's game. Are they the same game, or is there a Motive game in development separate from the BF2 campaign, and separate from the Visceral game?

Separate, new IP. Raymond's IP will be more Assassin's Creed while Hennig's is more Uncharted. Though it sounds like they'll be lending major assistance to Hennig's game before the new IP is set to go into full production?

Lucreto

From the article

“We’re building out a new studio in Montreal, as we’ve told everyone. And we’ve hired over 100 people into that studio that are brand-new to EA. This is to build the new IP around Jade Raymond’s team that she’s been building. I was in that studio last month. And it’s a wonderful new addition to our team. And we brought our BioWare Montreal team into that same facility. So they now all sit in one new studio together,” stated Jorgensen.

Sounds more like they are being moved into a new building and sharing the same space as Motive.

Can't find the link but this as well

Q: I was wondering, can you tease out what you mentioned earlier on the step-up in OpEx maybe on the R&D side with the new genres. And perhaps how much of the increase is more a timing issue versus a higher run rate for R&D?

Full answer from the CFO;

A: So we will have a slightly higher run rate for R&D. We're building out a new studio in Montréal, as we've told everyone. And we've hired over 100 people into that studio that are brand-new to EA. This is to build the new IP around Jade Raymond's team that she's been building. I was in that studio last month. And it's a wonderful new addition to our team. And we brought our BioWare Montréal team into that same facility. So they now all sit in one new studio together.We're obviously investing in Anthem, which everyone got a chance to see at E3. That's out of the BioWare Edmonton team and are very excited -- they're very excited. We'll see some increases around that in terms of spending. And then we're continuing to invest across all of our network and platform activities. I don't see any of those going beyond the targets that we've talked about, trying to keep R&D expense in the 21% to 22% of revenue range, but it is -- the goal is to drive new revenue. And if for some reason we weren't able to drive new revenue, clearly, that would be overspending, but we're very confident that we can drive new revenue around the action genre and continuing live service build-out across all of our products.

Sounds like Montréal still lives and just helping out on Anthem.

Dany

Banned
Very much looking forward to the DICE keynote on "What went wrong with Andromeda". I would love to see that.

Patryn

From the article

Sounds more like they are being moved into a new building and sharing the same space as Motive.

Can't find the link but this as well

Sounds like Montréal still lives and just helping out on Anthem.

No.

Eurogamer: Mass Effect Andromeda studio BioWare Montreal will be absorbed by EA Motive

Official EA statement:

With multiple major projects in development in Montreal, we are merging BioWare Montreal with Motive Studios. This is an ongoing process, but there are many exciting roles and opportunities for everyone on the team.

Ian S. Frazier, Lead Designer on MEA:

Bioware Montreal is dead. It is now part of Motive.

dr_rus

I have to say, merging a studio which failed at making a good game with a studio which is yet to make any game is another one of those seriously puzzling business decisions on EA's part.

I have to say, merging a studio which failed at making a good game with a studio which is yet to make any game is another one of those seriously puzzling business decisions on EA's part.

I don't think the people who were doing the grunt work were the cause of ME:A's failure. I seem to remember hearing that it was largely leadership.

Anyway, I do believe that Motive is helping out on Battlefront 2's campaign, so we'll see how that works out.

Ralemont

not me
Someone should update that comic of EA killing off studios. The pile of the dead should be bigger.

I know you're somewhat joking, but considering Montreal was expanded into a full studio given a real shot at making a full-fledged game by EA, I don't think it fits at all.

I'm a big BioWare fan, but at some point we need to stop blaming EA (that point should have been post-ME3 when EA started giving BioWare plenty of time to reasonably make a game). At this point it's up to BW Edmonton to make a completed game in a reasonable amount of time.

Patryn

I know you're somewhat joking, but considering Montreal was expanded into a full studio given a real shot at making a full-fledged game by EA, I don't think it fits at all.

I'm a big BioWare fan, but at some point we need to stop blaming EA (that point should have been post-ME3 when EA started giving BioWare plenty of time to reasonably make a game). At this point it's up to BW Edmonton to make a completed game in a reasonable amount of time.

I've long said that MEA's failings are almost solely due to Bioware Montreal.

From my perspective, EA gave them the money and the time to make a game, Montreal just failed to do so.

If anything, EA should have stepped in earlier when it was clear they were wasting far too much time on fruitless preproduction.

Ralemont

not me
I've long said that MEA's failings are almost solely due to Bioware Montreal.

From my perspective, EA gave them the money and the time to make a game, Montreal just failed to do so.

If anything, EA should have stepped in earlier when it was clear they were wasting far too much time on fruitless preproduction.

On top of that, Edmonton basically had to come in and staple the game together, and was receiving a lot of resentment from Montreal for doing so. I shudder to think what the story would have looked like if Walters hadn't course-corrected the whole thing.

Via r/masseffect & the Titanbooks website, the description for the Mass Effect novel "Initiation" is out. It's about Cora Harper and what she was doing before the Initiative launched from the Milky Way.

The official prequel to the hit video game Mass Effect: Andromeda. Lieutenant Cora Harper joins the Andromeda Initiative, a mission to send a fleet of colonization arks to the Andromeda Galaxy, each carrying a different council race. When key data is stolen by unknown parties, Alec Ryder personally recruits Harper to retrieve it before it can be used against the Initiative. If she fails, the Andromeda mission may be crippled before it begins. Harper is a human who has trained with the asari squad known as Talein's Daughters, under the direction of Nisira T'Kosh herself. Yet her training may not be enough when she discovers that she can trust no one-perhaps not even Ryder himself.

I'm really interested in this one because I liked Cora's character. Maybe we'll get some more Benefactor intrigue as well.

It's also written by N.K. Jemisin, who won another Hugo award recently so I suspect the writing should be pretty good too.

prag16

Banned
Wasn't a huge Cora fan, but maybe the speculated relationships she may have due to her last name will be explored somewhat. Could help with one of the loose ends from the game.

As for the rest of the loose ends... I've basically abandoned hope on the "Lost Ark" book or whatever it was going to be called. -_-

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit that I am sad that Andromeda gets so much hate.

Now that I have completed the game I do feel that the game did a lot of things well and was fun to play.

But the issue I couldn't get past was all of the unnecessary bloat and the hassle of fast travel.

It's a shame they're done patching it because if they could make fast travel happen in one or two steps as opposed to the 5+ steps then it would be a much better game for me.

I suspect the PC version has mods that do just this sort of thing.

diaspora

I have to admit that I am sad that Andromeda gets so much hate.

Now that I have completed the game I do feel that the game did a lot of things well and was fun to play.

But the issue I couldn't get past was all of the unnecessary bloat and the hassle of fast travel.

It's a shame they're done patching it because if they could make fast travel happen in one or two steps as opposed to the 5+ steps then it would be a much better game for me.

I suspect the PC version has mods that do just this sort of thing.
I agree the gameplay is fun but actually trying to get to those great moments of moment-to-moment gameplay is a pain. But... I don't see mods as solving the issue as much as making then slightly less annoying. The 13+ step process will always be there but the animations might be shorter if anything.

AFAIK it's an issue with the game's fundamental design philosophy.

Man, I STILL haven't finished my first playthrough. Never thought I'd be at a point where a new Mass Effect game came out, and I didn't blast through it in the first week. Although, the same did happen with Fallout 4.

I really hope they get around to doing a remaster of the original trilogy though.

Garlador

Man, I STILL haven't finished my first playthrough. Never thought I'd be at a point where a new Mass Effect game came out, and I didn't blast through it in the first week. Although, the same did happen with Fallout 4.

I really hope they get around to doing a remaster of the original trilogy though.

That's how I am.

I finally started the 10 hour free trial and... quickly lost interest. It was very unpolished and not very enjoyable, and this is AFTER all the patches.

But I just upgraded my computer and got ME1 with the high-def mods and controller support patched in. I would still pay for a full HD trilogy re-release with all content, but until then, fine, I'll make my OWN HD remaster and play that over Andromeda.

SugarDave

I'm sure this was already posted back when they were first made available, but I was looking for a way to get Pinnacle Station on my Steam copy of ME1 and apparently all of the DLC for 1 and 2 are available for free here.

That was probably around the same time I spent a boatload picking up all the DLC for 2 and 3, which is quite irritating.

I have ME2 installed on Steam but Origin recognises it as having been downloaded and hits me with 10 pop-ups prompting me to install all the DLC when I log in. Does anyone else have this issue?

diaspora

That's how I am.

I finally started the 10 hour free trial and... quickly lost interest. It was very unpolished and not very enjoyable, and this is AFTER all the patches.

But I just upgraded my computer and got ME1 with the high-def mods and controller support patched in. I would still pay for a full HD trilogy re-release with all content, but until then, fine, I'll make my OWN HD remaster and play that over Andromeda.

I've been telling you people this for how long

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
every once in awhile i think about mass effect andromeda (mainly because i see it still installed on origin) and get mad

I haven't even finished it.

I'm sure this was already posted back when they were first made available, but I was looking for a way to get Pinnacle Station on my Steam copy of ME1 and apparently all of the DLC for 1 and 2 are available for free here.

That was probably around the same time I spent a boatload picking up all the DLC for 2 and 3, which is quite irritating.

I have ME2 installed on Steam but Origin recognises it as having been downloaded and hits me with 10 pop-ups prompting me to install all the DLC when I log in. Does anyone else have this issue?
Holy crap, the DLC is just free like that?

every once in awhile i think about mass effect andromeda (mainly because i see it still installed on origin) and get mad

I beat it twice. Can't see myself ever doing it again.

Mezoly

The last mission is awesome, definitely my favorite ME final mission. I would finish it just because of that mission.

Top Bottom