• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Is it out yet though?

I need a fix, man.

Be like me. I remain convinced to my core that it's going to end up a 2017 title, and I'm ok with that.

So at this point, it's still so far away there's little point in holding your breath waiting for it. For one thing, you'd die well before it came out.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Just play through the trilogy again man. That's what I do almost every year lol. Even my girlfriend who's not interested at all in Mass Effect knows about Shepard.

I just did. I tried going back through as MaleShep, but it's just not the same, you know? It feels like a fake playthrough.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just did. I tried going back through as MaleShep, but it's just not the same, you know? It feels like a fake playthrough.

What do you mean "fake"? That you're used to female Shepard?

Then just play a class you haven't touched in the past, or rarely used.
Romance Liara in ME1 than betray her for Garrus in ME2. Then betray him in ME3 for Kaidan.
Or go full Renegade if you're last playthrough was full Paragon.
Or hell, if you wanna be different, try to use whatever decision feels ok for you and screw the perfect Paragon or Renegage playthrough and suffer the consequences of your choices.

Hi does anyone think Bioware would release a new trailer before N7 day.
The devs keep teasing Mass effect stuff on Twitter and the first trailer doesn't have a lot of substance to it.

I wonder how much they have to show at this point... every reveal so far has been very non-specific, just moods and intentions really.

It's still a year out... would they even have voice acting recorded and cinematics in place?

There's also the rumored departure of the lead writer.

If we get anything this year, I'm guessing proof-of-concept stuff or a vague teaser... but nothing substantial storywise.

Drew Karpyshyn has rejoined Bioware. He's back on SWTOR.

Speaking of full circle, here’s the second piece of big news: as of this past week, I am back working at BioWare again! For those who don’t know, I spent over a decade with BioWare working on many award winning and fan-beloved games like Mass Effect 1&2, Knights of the Old Republic and the Star Wars: The Old Republic Online MMO. A few years ago I left BioWare to focus on my Chaos Born novels, but now that the trilogy is finished, I’ve decided to come back into the fold. But for those of you who love my novels, don’t worry – I’ll still be writing more of those, too!

Working at BioWare was a challenging but very rewarding job, and it’s good to be back as part of the team. The thing I missed most about BioWare was the amazing people I got to work with, and luckily for me many of them are still there! I suspect a lot of folks are going to wonder if this means BioWare is about to announce a new project tied to my return. The short answer: no. I originally came to the Austin studio many years ago to work on SWTOR and – at least for now – that’s what I’m focusing on again.

http://drewkarpyshyn.com/c/?p=1022

lately i've been thinking of doing an rttp to ME, but I wonder if I should find a way to somehow make it work on my mac and re-buy the trilogy.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I wanna do an RTTP, too. I lack the hardware to play the games again, though. My 360 died about six months back and my laptop remains archaic. Was really hoping for a remaster. I'll probably just... buy a replacement 360 within the next half a year or so -- I can't fathom going through life without the option to replay the best trilogy in gaming.

diaspora

The super HD texture mod seems to break ME1 every 5 minutes in Windows 10. A shame, though it's still playable on vanilla textures with 4k downsampling. I might take another crack at the trilogy myself and wing the decisions.

I wonder how much they have to show at this point... every reveal so far has been very non-specific, just moods and intentions really.

It's still a year out... would they even have voice acting recorded and cinematics in place?

There's also the rumored departure of the lead writer.

If we get anything this year, I'm guessing proof-of-concept stuff or a vague teaser... but nothing substantial storywise.

Mass Delay incoming.

Squire

Banned
It's a year out from launch. Even if there's still writing to be done, the bulk of Schlerf's work should be done, given he was lead. If they've got an outline/draft of the main plot, the rest of the writers should be able to carry it home.

They should've promoted a lead writer from within, anyway. Not sure why Dragon Age went that route and ME didn't, but I suppose it could just be no one currently on the team wanted that level of responsibility.

The idea that Schlerf can just turn in a draft and hit 'eject' way before launch is a bit weird to me. Isn't the lead writer also the manager of the writing team? Do those people report to someone else now? Is there no DLC pipeline or tie-in media that need writing? Pick-ups? Re-writes? Additional content? Dialogue clarification?

I actually like that they've hired key positions from outside (not just Schlerf also Ian Frazier and Chris Wynn.)

I'm super curious where that fresh perspective went though - so far, they haven't pitched anything substantial or emotionally resonant. The trailer at E3, devoid of character and story, was a dud for me. It looks pretty and has an N7 logo, I guess.

Would also be nice to truly put the ME3 ending in the rearview mirror and tell us in plain language how Andromeda fits into the canon.

I wanna do an RTTP, too. I lack the hardware to play the games again, though. My 360 died about six months back and my laptop remains archaic. Was really hoping for a remaster. I'll probably just... buy a replacement 360 within the next half a year or so -- I can't fathom going through life without the option to replay the best trilogy in gaming.
if you still have the games, you could get an xbone and play it on there with the BC. if you're not a PC gamer you're gonna need a new gen system anyway to play Me4.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
if you still have the games, you could get an xbone and play it on there with the BC. if you're not a PC gamer you're gonna need a new gen system anyway to play Me4.
So far only the first game is playable on Xbox one. As far as I know, ME2 and ME3 have not been confirmed.
Chances are good that they will come, but it's certainly not a guarantee.

Patryn

So have we given up completely on the trilogy being remade for PS4/X1?

I'd say there's a sub 5 percent chance that it gets announced at either N7 day or E3 next year.

But I'm 95 percent certain it's not coming.

Aaah, the joys of PC gaming. Where backward compatibility is not an issue.

Ok. I'll go now.

If I didn't have to rely on third-party mods to enable controller support, and it felt as natural as the consoles I'd go primary PC easily. But I can't stand playing ME with kb+m, so I'm a 360 guy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd say there's a sub 5 percent chance that it gets announced at either N7 day or E3 next year.

But I'm 95 percent certain it's not coming.

If I didn't have to rely on third-party mods to enable controller support, and it felt as natural as the consoles I'd go primary PC easily. But I can't stand playing ME with kb+m, so I'm a 360 guy.

Even then, 360s still work in 2015 as far as I know. :p Unless you got rid of it haha.

Lucreto

So have we given up completely on the trilogy being remade for PS4/X1?

I still think it is coming.

Dragon Age was the main focus for Bioware but with all the DLC finished and the GotY Edition announced I think the shift will move back to Mass Effect.

N7 Day would be a good beginning point and announced a collection to release early next year, get people excited but enough time to play the games but not get series fatigue before the new one comes out.

If it's not at N7 Day I will give up as E3 announcement is too near Andromeda release date a few months later.

We only have one person from EA saying it's not happening. Bioware themselves have been quiet on the subject. There was no "its not happening" from developers on twitter or on the official forums. It is was not happening the developers would be towing the company line and saying it.

I seen a few weeks ago there is going to be an official Mass Effect Loot Crate, to the people who don't know that the loot crate is its a subscription service that gives you items around a certain theme. Last months theme was villains. I got a Venom mug, a Joker wooden figurine and a Breaking Bad Los Pollos Hermanos apron.

They don't do these special crates often, they have one for Fallout 4 and announced the Mass Effect one. There is no particular reason for the Mass Effect one with the game over a year away southern must be something planned.

Squire

Banned
The idea that Schlerf can just turn in a draft and hit 'eject' way before launch is a bit weird to me. Isn't the lead writer also the manager of the writing team? Do those people report to someone else now? Is there no DLC pipeline or tie-in media that need writing? Pick-ups? Re-writes? Additional content? Dialogue clarification?

I actually like that they've hired key positions from outside (not just Schlerf also Ian Frazier and Chris Wynn.)

I'm super curious where that fresh perspective went though - so far, they haven't pitched anything substantial or emotionally resonant. The trailer at E3, devoid of character and story, was a dud for me. It looks pretty and has an N7 logo, I guess.

Would also be nice to truly put the ME3 ending in the rearview mirror and tell us in plain language how Andromeda fits into the canon.

To be clear, the bolded is not what I said. It takes a team of writers and if Schlerf is out, I don't see why that team can't help a replacement lead (who would preferably be someone promoted from within, as they'd already be familiar with the current status of the story) get on their feet and do everything you wrote in your post.

It wouldn't be easy, but it's game dev - that goes without saying. It's absolutely doable though.

I think the problem with getting a new headwriter internally for Andromeda is a lot of Bioware people were hurt over me3 ending.With Austin trying to improve their reputation for the next new project .Then there's Edmonton probably happy working on the new ip and trying to get Dragon age 4 off the ground. Just seems like all the experienced writers would rather do what there focused on.

Squire

Banned
I think the problem with getting a new headwriter internally for Andromeda is a lot of Bioware people were hurt over me3 ending.With Austin trying to improve their reputation for the next new project .Then there's Edmonton probably happy working on the new ip and trying to get Dragon age 4 off the ground. Just seems like all the experienced writers would rather do what there focused on.

What? What do you mean "hurt"?

Squire

Banned
There was enough negative reception to mass effect 3 ending to get the doctor's to leave the studio they founded. That's what I meant by hurt.

Writers don't care about nerds throwing a fit. I guarantee no one is going to turn down the job because of ME3. If someone already in the team got the offer and they turned it down, that wouldn't be why.

They haven't even said a word about doing another trilogy, so it wouldn't even make sense.

Patryn

There was enough negative reception to mass effect 3 ending to get the doctor's to leave the studio they founded. That's what I meant by hurt.
The doctors didn't leave because of ME3. They stayed as long as their contracts from the EA deal lasted and then bailed.

This stuff happens all the time. They wait for the full retention payout and then leave.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I assume intentions are to make at least two Mass Effect games set in Andromeda, and to talk up the whole save import thing, which was a big selling point of the trilogy and fairly deeply associated with the franchise.

But I also think they'll avoid promising a trilogy or anything like that. They'll probably advertise Andromeda as the "beginning of a new series" without committing to X amount of titles.

Squire

Banned
I assume intentions are to make at least two Mass Effect games set in Andromeda, and to talk up the whole save import thing, which was a big selling point of the trilogy and fairly deeply associated with the franchise.

But I also think they'll avoid promising a trilogy or anything like that. They'll probably advertise Andromeda as the "beginning of a new series" without committing to X amount of titles.

The Halo strategy.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Yeah... I've already got a PS4, though. But I'm contemplating picking up an X1 soon enough anyway. Does the BC work with all the DLC I have? I've poured so much money into getting all that DLC.

It makes sense, the expectation was right from the get-go they would be a whole trilogy and ultimately the battle with the reapers would end in the third game. By avoiding such promises expectations can play out differently and the series could go anyway it wishes.

Still hoping for some new info in November though.

Patryn

I agree with most of this. As I said in the past, I don't think they'll do save importing per se. Instead, they'll set up something like the Keep for Mass Effect and utilize that.

But I think if you look at how they approach the Dragon Age series you can see how they'll handle games in the series. Where they're connected, but not nearly as tightly as if they were in a trilogy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I agree with most of this. As I said in the past, I don't think they'll do save importing per se. Instead, they'll set up something like the Keep for Mass Effect and utilize that.

But I think if you look at how they approach the Dragon Age series you can see how they'll handle games in the series. Where they're connected, but not nearly as tightly as if they were in a trilogy.

I expect a Keep too, yeah, but I also expect it to be a bit more character centric than Dragon Age. It wouldn't be overly surprising to see them change it up, but I think a key difference between the two series is that even with save imports Dragon Age has never established itself as a running continuity of heroism. It's a new story with a new protagonist that just so happens to be set in the same universe. I kinda feel an ongoing protagonist and cast is iconic for the Mass Effect series, and in the same way that folk became attached to Shepard, I expect Montreal to continue the Andromeda series centralised around whatever human figure you create in the next one.

But I do think they'll avoid committing to X amount of games since Andromeda is still kinda an unknown quality. At the very least we should get two, unless it tanks commercially.

Patryn

I expect a Keep too, yeah, but I also expect it to be a bit more character centric than Dragon Age. It wouldn't be overly surprising to see them change it up, but I think a key difference between the two series is that even with save imports Dragon Age has never established itself as a running continuity of heroism. It's a new story with a new protagonist that just so happens to be set in the same universe. I kinda feel an ongoing protagonist and cast is iconic for the Mass Effect series, and in the same way that folk became attached to Shepard, I expect Montreal to continue the Andromeda series centralised around whatever human figure you create in the next one.

But I do think they'll avoid committing to X amount of games since Andromeda is still kinda an unknown quality. At the very least we should get two, unless it tanks commercially.

True, I think the ME Keep will be more character centric.

However I suspect Bioware has been wanting to make Dragon Age more character-centric. I would be willing to put money on the fact that the original plan was for Hawke to get multiple games, but the negative reception of DA2 shut that right down.

diaspora

True, I think the ME Keep will be more character centric.

However I suspect Bioware has been wanting to make Dragon Age more character-centric. I would be willing to put money on the fact that the original plan was for Hawke to get multiple games, but the negative reception of DA2 shut that right down.
As it should have. Continuing protags would be shitty for DA IMO.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
An ME trilogy is still a possibility. That possibility diminishes greatly if it's not announced on N7 day and I'd venture to say all but dead if it's not announced at E3. Now that Bioshock collection has been leaked (but not confirmed) I'd say it's more likely.

A lot of also depends on if MEA makes its targeted release date, which if history is any indication will not happen.

We can all list reasons why EA should or shouldn't release an ME trilogy, but at the end of the day we just have to wait and see.

Keep an eye on N7 day. I'm not expecting anything major, but who knows?

On an unrelated note, if Take 2 releases a Bioshck Collection they had better also release Red Dead Redemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom