• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SugarDave

Thanks for the posts, guys. I think I'll probably skip the SweetFX stuff but damn, some of those HD retextures look really good. Miranda's outfit looking sharp!

Mediking

Speaking of the Walking Dead... I think it would be super cool if Ryder was facing a similar situation like Rick where one of your close allies will get killed in front of you but you have no idea who. Everybody is captured, etc.

I'll be honest, (personally) those texture screenshots are pretty gross. The dark gritty look of the models and environments appear gone and instead everything appears plasticy and super bright.

diaspora

I'll be honest, (personally) those texture screenshots are pretty gross. The dark gritty look of the models and environments appear gone and instead everything appears plasticy and super bright.

The textures don't introduce a "plasticy", or "brighter" look to the game, no. Maybe the gamma settings they're running at is too high but the textures don't make the game brighter.

diaspora

Pretty sure that's down to the ENB/SweetFX mods and not the retexturing.

Either that or the gamma levels. My samples (downsampled from 8k to 4k)

30087421832_bd1c6237f5_o_d.png

29906212170_9b88e06783_o_d.png

I agree with all your mod choices here, but it's worth noting that in both instances, ALOT should be installed LAST. Install all your mods, THEN run the ME3Explorer tree scan and install the textures.

Regarding the controller mods... Using Padstarr or Pinnacle Game Profiler is vastly superior to the controller mod. You can do things with Padstarr that are impossible with the controller mod. For example, I have mirrored the console controls pretty closely. A is the omni-key, B is melee, X is reload/swap weapons, and Y is Power 1. But I set up my Left Bumper as a shift key. While LB is being held, all my face buttons now become Power 2-5. Instead of having to bring up the power wheel, I can just fire my powers at will. It's rad.

However, menus and the galaxy map control like poo, so keep your mouse handy for those parts.

Blinck

Sweet Starchild... I've originally played this series on PC, so I knew when I recently bought the trilogy for PS3 that it would never be as smooth, but I'm perfectly OK with 30fps 720p gaming. But man...this game ( ME 1 ) is so damn rough on the PS3 in terms of framerate.
It seriously baffles me how something like this is approved...and from what I hear it was even worse on the 360. It's like bioware didn't play their own game :\

I was so looking forward to playing on the couch and getting the platinum...but I don't know if I can handle this technical mess :\

Yeah, it's the other way around. The 360 version was the best console version. I just wish the XB1 backwards compatibility for the first game was completely fixed.

Patryn

Yeah, the games were designed for the 360 and ported to the other platforms. 360 is the native platform for all three games, although PC does perform better simply due to the power it brings.

PS3 never did great with UE3 games, especially ports from the 360.

Yeah, it's the other way around. The 360 version was the best console version. I just wish the XB1 backwards compatibility for the first game was completely fixed.

I finished a playthrough of ME1 on the XB1 recently without any major issue, and felt that it actually performed better than the 360. What issues are you talking about?

I finished a playthrough of ME1 on the XB1 recently without any major issue, and felt that it actually performed better than the 360. What issues are you talking about?

The frame-rate, especially on the Citadel. It was never that bad on the 360. They fixed the input-lag issue recently so I was hoping they would tune up the frame-rate issues for ME1 like they did for the Reach and Gears BC versions.

Plasma

Banned
The frame-rate, especially on the Citadel. It was never that bad on the 360. They fixed the input-lag issue recently so I was hoping they would tune up the frame-rate issues for ME1 like they did for the Reach and Gears BC versions.
The framerate on the Citadel was always bad.

Patryn

It felt a lot better to me than it did on the 360, honestly. I honestly felt it was improved.

Mass Effect on the 360 was never a wonder performer.

DOWN

Banned
I doubt it will be 60fps. But the extra RAM, GPU, and CPU overclock will surely make the enhanced 1080p mode enjoyable to me with whatever they add.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
November 7 seems so close, yet so far. But at least we're almost there after 4½ years with almost nothing.

DOWN

Banned
Pro has an extra GB of standard RAM dedicated to the app switching in the OS, shifting half a GB of the original fast RAM over to the games RAM pool, and adding a half GB to the total RAM count for the OS.

Essentially they added some RAM that handles app switching well with 4K and all, and because of that carved out half a gig to give back to the games from the original essential faster RAM pool taken up by the OS.

Been looking at some of the concept art for Andromeda, and I'm getting vibes of ME1 and a bit of Kotor. Has me really excited to see more.
It felt a lot better to me than it did on the 360, honestly. I honestly felt it was improved.

Mass Effect on the 360 was never a wonder performer.
I started a new game on XB1 recently, and I agree. Citadel felt a lot smoother than it did previously. The last update for the game was in August, I hope Digital Foundry or someone does an updated performance analysis.

Hoping that we get 2&3 as back compat games on N7 day.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's still using the same anemic CPU.

I am aware that a 60fps console version of Andromeda isn't happening.

However, it is perplexing to me how a console that is able to run a game at 4K (4x the pixels of 1080p) and 30fps somehow isn't capable of pushing 60fps at 1080p.

Assuming of course that it is true 4K. Many of the so called 4K titles are using dynamic scaling to push the resolution above 1080p

However, it is perplexing to me how a console that is able to run a game at 4K (4x the pixels of 1080p) and 30fps somehow isn't capable of pushing 60fps at 1080p.

Assuming of course that it is true 4K. Many of the so called 4K titles are using dynamic scaling to push the resolution above 1080p
Andromeda isn't native 4K on the Pro, is it?

Mass Effect Andromeda has two very different strategies. They have checkerboard for 4K and they have a separate mode for high quality graphics at 1080p."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-games-machine
Edit: Unless you mean games in general.

diaspora

Andromeda isn't native 4K on the Pro, is it?

Edit: Unless you mean games in general.

It's scaled up. It's not rendering 4k the pixels per frame.

Lt-47

You could put a 1080 in the Ps4 pro and you still wouldn't get 60fps.

You need both a good gpu and cpu to get there. Ps4 pro as plenty a gpu power to spare but still struggle on the cpu side.

Rellik

I played Mass Effect 3 MP last night for the first time. Man, I missed out. I regret avoiding it back on release now.

I was still able to get games but sometimes id have to do the first few waves myself before someone would drop in. And it was pretty much the same people every time.

I hope they do something with the new Mass Effect games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Mass Effect won't be a Fall 2017 game, right guys? :(

It's going to be March 2017 at best... Just because they have barely showed anything yet, doesn't mean it will be released in Fall 2017. See Nintendo Switch for the best example. Revealed in October 2016 and released in March 2017.

Anyway we will all know in 2 weeks.

diaspora

They told their investors it'd be in FY 2016 Q4, which is March at the latest AFAIK. So, it'll drop unless they lied to their investors.

Patryn

We all know it's going to be delayed.

No, we actually don't.

I honestly believe in the March 21 release date.

The only reason that people say this is because they haven't shown a lot. But we've had multiple confirmations that they're looking to emulate the Fallout 4 PR and release strategy. In addition, as stated, they have pledged to investors that this is a FY Q4 2016 title.

Patryn

I wonder if the SAG-AFTRA strike will affect production. I doubt they're done with V.O. work this far out. The union were picketing in front of EA today.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sag-aftra-pickets-electronic-arts-940940

It won't. They explicitly said it doesn't affect games who started production earlier than... February? I believe.

Even if they were still recording, it'd fall on the exempt side.

Unless the producers are lying on Twitter, they're already playing missions and romances themselves.

They had a fully playable copy end-to-end months and months ago. I'd say 6-8 months ago?

Obviously needed to be polished and finished up, but I have a feeling they have a version that's pretty close to what will ship at this point.

diaspora

They had a fully playable copy end-to-end months and months ago. I'd say 6-8 months ago?

Obviously needed to be polished and finished up, but I have a feeling they have a version that's pretty close to what will ship at this point.

I think around E3 is the earliest I've seen it mentioned. Either way I get the sense that the game is done and part of the only reason they haven't gotten the marketing engine really started is:
  1. To have a shorter marketing style. I'd call it Fallout 4 style but they fucked that up by announcing the game so early
  2. To avoid clashing with the Battlefield and Titanfall marketing juggernauts this holiday season

Regardless I do feel good about the game coming around the 21st of March.

GSR

y'all, it's coming out in march and there's gonna be more at n7 than another tease. bioware's plenty aware of how their marketing has looked so far and what they need to do before release.

Patryn

That's good to know. Does this also apply to DLC?

I have no idea. I'm guessing it might not, because that wouldn't have started active production and would likely be considered a separate project, perhaps?

But we're not even sure if they recorded the game using SAG-AFTRA talent. It's possible they recorded VO in Canada or elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom