• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaylorMan

Also, I've only seen Ryder carrying one main weapon in the trailers? Are we being limited by weight capacity x power recharge like in Mass Effect 3?

I really liked the way Mass Effect 3 dealt with it. I'd just assumed Andromeda would be the same. Would love to know if someone had the answer.

Do you guys think that getting a Mass Effect game where the player picks his or her alien race is possible? Or realistic?

Spinx

I really liked the way Mass Effect 3 dealt with it. I'd just assumed Andromeda would be the same. Would love to know if someone had the answer.

That was hilarious. I finished 3 on insanity spamming Charge - Nova through the entire game.

And then Marauder Shields showed up at the end. If I didn't saw a clip on YouTube that you could cheese him I would not be able to finish the game. Lmao
I understand that meme now.

Patryn

Do you guys think that getting a Mass Effect game where the player picks his or her alien race is possible? Or realistic?
Sadly, no.

They seem very attached to the idea that players can only sympathize with humans, so the player must be a human.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Sadly, no.

They seem very attached to the idea that players can only sympathize with humans, so the player must be a human.

I can personally relate to this, I wouldn't want to be an alien, although I like to be with them in the thick of it, squaded up.

I couldn't roleplay a Salarian or something similar, it would be hard for me (but obviously, this is just my preference). Multiplayer is a different story though, I welcome temporarily jumping into a Krogan or Asari for short bursts of MP action.

Sadly, no.

It's not really about sympathy to be honest, but that Mass Effect as a series is more about humanity's journey through the cosmos, something akin to Star Trek. Personally I'm a fan of that but it's understandable if you're not.

Daemul

Also, I've only seen Ryder carrying one main weapon in the trailers? Are we being limited by weight capacity x power recharge like in Mass Effect 3?

Yes, the weight capacity system is back. It appeared briefly in the Game Awards gameplay trailer.

It's not really about sympathy to be honest, but that Mass Effect as a series is more about humanity's journey through the cosmos, something akin to Star Trek. Personally I'm a fan of that but it's understandable if you're not.

I don't have a problem with a story following humanity's journey through the cosmos, my problem lies in how self fellating it became. The whole Human Reaper storyline in ME2 for example was fucking atrocious.

diaspora

Eh, even the human reaper wasn't as bizarre as Mordin's quest with the weird shit about human genetic diversity. The cool thing about having Javik with you in ME3 is that it made the Asari the chosen sons/daughters of the Protheans- they had chosen the Asari to be their successors to the galaxy.

Luxorek

Eh, even the human reaper wasn't as bizarre as Mordin's quest with the weird shit about human genetic diversity. The cool thing about having Javik with you in ME3 is that it made the Asari the chosen sons/daughters of the Protheans- they had chosen the Asari to be their successors to the galaxy.

The same Asari that coincidentally happen to be a race of blue, almost human women with rubber forehead prosthetics?

Patryn

The same Asari that coincidentally happen to be a race of blue, almost human women with rubber forehead prosthetics?

It's a videogame. Videogames do not have rubber.

What they do have is limitations in armor modeling, hence needing to have crew members have a similarly shaped body in order to avoid having to custom model armor for too many characters.

Luxorek

It's a videogame. Videogames do not have rubber.

I was referring to this trope.

Asari are a combination of rubber heads and [insert color] space babes. Fit just fine in Mass Effect 1 with its clear Star Trek influences. It started to stick out for me the moment they moved away from that aesthetic.

I'm also aware of the engine limitations, however that didn't stop them from giving us Salarians, Turians or Krogans. They knew very well what they were doing when they created the Asari.

Maledict

Funny how different our reactions are there. In Me1 I thought the Asari were an embarrassing one note species just there to satisfy guys. You only really interacted with 3 - the consort, Liara and her mother. One was mind controlled from the start and the other two worshipped you throughout the game (Liara as soon as you recruited her).

In me2 and me3 they gained depth - aria on omega, liaras father, samara etc. It was in the later games they moved beyond a sad little trope into something with a bit more depth and nuance.

Luxorek

Not the point I was arguing, what I had in mind is simply visual design and how it works in the game.

I do agree with you about depth, however. All alien squadmates and NPCs gained a lot when they stopped being walking encyclopedias ready to dispense knowledge about their culture, biology or society.

It's most apparent in ME1 where Tali barely says anything about herself and talks mostly about Quarian history, society and their relation to the Geth. Liara is similar, asari culture this and that, athough she benefits from the romance and Noveria questline with her mother.

Wrex is much better in that regard, as you can at least understand why he is the way he is in context of his and Krogan history. Garrus doesn't talk about Turians at all, comes to mind, it's all his struggles with bureaucracy, rules and so forth.

Killzig

Don't forget that Asari live for 1000 years and their breasts continue to grow as they get older. (I have no idea what the source for that is on the wiki as I have never cared to engage with the Asari at all in game).

Big Nikus

Not the point I was arguing, what I had in mind is simply visual design and how it works in the game.

Honestly the way they describe the Asari in the artbooks and how they came up with the idea would be considered really tasteless nowadays, so I agree with your points.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Don't forget that Asari live for 1000 years and their breasts continue to grow as they get older. (I have no idea what the source for that is on the wiki as I have never cared to engage with the Asari at all in game).

This is ridiculous, because otherwise old Asaris would be quite something to behold. Liara is "young" for an Asari and she already got them in a good size lol. I'm pretty sure this is some fan bullshit.

DevilDog

This sounds like utter, anime bullshit to be honest.

Killzig

Like I said, I have no idea what the source is for that particular bit of information. Maybe some fan theory based on Matriarch Benezia being absolutely ridiculous.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Asari

H3qAP98.png

In other news,

C2eL2s-XAAUn5kY.jpg

Ralemont

not me
In other news,

C2eL2s-XAAUn5kY.jpg

I would love if this was the only explanation for the short travel time and static discharge problem being solved. It would be exactly what I expected, and I think that's a good thing. They could come up with some 10 page thesis about how they are conveniently getting to Andromeda, but I don't really care and it'd all be a means to an end (cool new game in new galaxy) anyway.

I would love if this was the only explanation for the short travel time and static discharge problem being solved. It would be exactly what I expected, and I think that's a good thing. They could come up with some 10 page thesis about how they are conveniently getting to Andromeda, but I don't really care and it'd all be a means to an end (cool new game in new galaxy) anyway.

Pretty sure that the ODSY drive system was already shown in one of the videos?

God knows how awful the Quarian race entry is on the wiki.

I'm sure there's 3 paragraphs of wankery saying how they are the best race and you should always like Tali. *shudder*

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, the drive diverts static energy build-up into power reserves for essential systems, and I believe in order to maintain fuelling the Arks and Nexus collect hydrogen during travel to convert. I actually like that last part as Andromeda as a galaxy in particular is known to have a halo of hydrogen(?) and other gasses stretching out as far as the halfway point to the Milky Way. Pretty sure the Milky Way has something similar too.

Ah okay, I haven't been watching all those. Trying to obsess slightly less about a BioWare release this time around...

They're pretty good, for what it's worth. If you like the more technobabble premise setting media for a series like Mass Effect the Andromeda Iniative videos have done a far better job of evoking a particular mood and setting the premise than the main media.,

Funny how different our reactions are there. In Me1 I thought the Asari were an embarrassing one note species just there to satisfy guys. You only really interacted with 3 - the consort, Liara and her mother. One was mind controlled from the start and the other two worshipped you throughout the game (Liara as soon as you recruited her).

In me2 and me3 they gained depth - aria on omega, liaras father, samara etc. It was in the later games they moved beyond a sad little trope into something with a bit more depth and nuance.

My primary objection has always been their overwhelming similarity for humans and their "perfectness". They're all borderline immortal, they're all psychic and Biotic, they're capable of mating with any species. They're so human that they can wear human armour in ME1; they have breasts, an exactly human face shape, an exact human body-shape, but with tentacles where hair should be and a different skin tone. Not only are they within the human range, they are without exception attractive by human standards, there are no big nosed Asari with ugly faces. They're sexy magical space elf lesbians. A species designed solely with horny teenagers in mind, utterly creatively bankrupt in their design.

If the Asari existed in Star Trek they wouldn't be out of place. But they exist in Mass Effect, where almost all of the bipedal species are significantly different from humans, and there are a variety of non-bipedal species too. A lot of people were very impressed with Wrex in 2007 for his detailed facial animations. The Asari stick out like a sore thumb.

The Quarians had a lot of potential but the ME3 reveal of them just being night elves under that armour was unbelievably disappointing.

I will always wonder why Bioware felt they needed an alien species like Asari. Is it just so you could bang a hot alien?

The Asari were designed as a species you could romance from the start. Bioware also designed the Drell for this in ME2, however had learned that actually people didn't mind if they weren't totally human-like by then, because of the large fanbases that Garrus and Tali had generated.

Dany

Banned
The Asari were designed as a species you could romance from the start. Bioware also designed the Drell for this in ME2, however had learned that actually people didn't mind if they weren't totally human-like by then, because of the large fanbases that Garrus and Tali had generated.

It's like...personalities matter more than appearance?

Big Nikus

I will always wonder why Bioware felt they needed an alien species like Asari. Is it just so you could bang a hot alien?

Yeah this, but not only. They litterally said it was to evoke the "green alien babes" of Star Trek and old-school SF like that, but, you know, blue.

The other reason is that they didn't have the ressources (time and/or budget) to create female versions for all the species. Hence why we don't see female salarians, turians and krogans in the first game, and barely in the others (like, one of each and that's it). It's pretty clear that's why they came up with precise (and somewhat ridiculous) explanations as for why there are not many female salarians and krogans roaming the galaxy. When you read the codex entries it's so obvious. No female elcor/hanari/volus in sight either.

So the solution was : let's make an all-female species to balance things out.

The other reason is that they didn't have the ressources (time and/or budget) to create female versions for all the species. Hence why we don't see female salarians, turians and krogans in the first game, and barely in the others (like, one of each and that's it). It's pretty clear that's why they came up with precise (and somewhat ridiculous) explanations as for why there are not many female salarians and krogans roaming the galaxy. When you read the codex entries it's so obvious. No female elcor/hanari/volus in sight either.

So the solution was : let's make an all-female species to balance things out.

They could have said that some of those species simply lacked notable sexual dimorphism though. A female Turian could have the same voice and face structure as a male, for example. You wouldn't be able to tell. This is especially true for Hanar, Elcor and Volus, whom are so alien or so hidden from us that we simply would never know.

Even a lot of terrestrial species we know about in real life don't have notable sexual dimorphism. Unless you can check their dangly bits or observe their behaviour dogs and cats are often identical.

Big Nikus

They could have said that some of those species simply lacked notable sexual dimorphism though. A female Turian could have the same voice and face structure as a male, for example. You wouldn't be able to tell. This is especially true for Hanar, Elcor and Volus, whom are so alien or so hidden from us that we simply would never know.

Even a lot of terrestrial species we know about in real life don't have notable sexual dimorphism. Unless you can check their dangly bits or observe their behaviour dogs and cats are often identical.

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't make female Hanar, Elcor and Volus. Only the voice would have to change, it would have been enough I think. Same for Salarians actually, no need to make females too different.
I know there's a lot of stuff to consider in game development, but it's weird. So many male Volus. Just use the same model with a slightly different suit design, that would be fine.
The fact that it's a big deal to finally meet a female turian in ME3 DLC is just weird. But to be fair, I think they've done a good job with their design, they're clearly different from the males and that's cool.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect 1 is an amalgamation of science fiction concepts and tropes entrenched in literature, film, and television. So while they definitely put effort in establishing their own coherent rules and sensibilities of a new fictional universe, there's undoubtable strong handovers from other science fiction. The Asari are the hot-human-like-female-alien species on a similar wavelength to the Twi'lek or many species from Star Trek.

And I mean, I can see why the species is considered the most boring by some for these reasons, but there's not much that can be done about it, and the reality is they've been there since the start and are a deeply integral component in Mass Effect lore. Despite the obvious pandering I do think BioWare did a pretty solid job throughout the trilogy embellishing them with mystery and integrating them into galactic politics and background lore in very sensible and for most part interesting ways.

I also think that despite the love-interest pandering they're pretty well designed within the confines of their aesthetic limitations. They're believable other-humans, if that makes sense, in the same way that Turian face plating is convincing so too do I feel the skin patterns, marking, and head tentacles flow organically into the Asari design.

But yeah, they're the most direct human-like species in the entire series. Just is what it is, I guess.

Big Nikus

And I mean, I can see why the species is considered the most boring by some for these reasons, but there's not much that can be done about it, and the reality is they've been there since the start and are a deeply integral component in Mass Effect lore. Despite the obvious pandering I do think BioWare did a pretty solid job throughout the trilogy embellishing them with mystery and integrating them into galactic politics and background lore in very sensible and for most part interesting ways.

I also think that despite the love-interest pandering they're pretty well designed within the confines of their aesthetic limitations. They're believable other-humans, if that makes sense, in the same way that Turian face plating is convincing so too do I feel the skin patterns, marking, and head tentacles flow organically into the Asari design.

I do like the Asari, despite the questionable original intent of the devs. I was playing ME2 earlier today and after I talked to Samara I thought about how dark this game could be at times.
"I've been hunting someone for the last 400 years. My daughter. Help me kill her."
And yeah they've done a good job with the designs. (I've always like Detective Anaya on Illium... she's not special though, doesn't even have tatoos, but idk, she looks cool). Samara is so different from the others, you just know she's special, even for Asari standards.
Man, ME2 character design was amazing..
And then, Vega.

But yeah, they're the most direct human-like species in the entire series. Just is what it is, I guess.

Turians don't just have face plates, however.

Salarians:

I think both of these are examples of pretty good interpretations of evolutionary convergence. These two and humans all clearly operate in a roughly similar biological niche, yet still have significant differences in physiology. Compare say, a Tasmanian Tiger to a Dingo to a Lion. They're similar in important ways, but descend from radically different origins and as a result have a lot of variation.

Asari don't even make a fraction of that effort to be different. The Turians, Salarians, Krogans and Asari were all designed with squad-mate status in mind and have roughly compatible animation skeletons. But one of those four is not like the others! Blue humans with head tentacles instead of hair is about it.

EatChildren

I agree, but I guess that's where BioWare was trying to pander to hot babe love interest. No going back now, even if the fandom proved they're very comfortable wanting to bang more unusual alien designs.

Turians remain my favourite design in the series. There's a brilliant sensibility to their aesthetic; it's interesting, believable, and animates in a way that gives them a range of expression that aren't just a cheap copy of humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom