• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder if this is going to be a survival story or if it will start off by introducing us to a new community in andromeda

and if it does, i wonder if the community will be fully integrated throughout the galaxy or if none of the species are as advanced as in the milky way, all still isolated and not knowing the galaxy is teeming with life

and if there'll be mass relays...i'm guessing probably not because the reaper shit was about the original trilogy

Something about her nose bug me a little, but I guess i'll get used to it.

I've made out with Tali, I can handle a human nose.

Seriously, I do think Cora and Sara look a bit off as if they started with a conventionally attractive face and then obsessively started tweaking until it edged up to the uncanny valley. Many Inquisition models had the same effect on me and it seems more pronounced with the female characters so it does feel like a conscious design choice.

Before we go back to the dismissive 'bro, you just want a supermodel', I'm just pointing out that the facial geometry of some characters seems inconsistent with the general Hollywood vibe of the game and draws a little too much attention to itself.

But hey, I'm happy there's a new Mass Effect in just a few more weeks.

I don't know you guys, looks like a normal human face to me. It's slightly asymmetrical, and she seems to have some sort of unevenness (scar?) on the left side of her mouth, but other than that... Maybe it's because people don't tend to analyse faces to such a conscious extent.

I don't know you guys, looks like a normal human face to me. It's slightly asymmetrical, and she seems to have some sort of unevenness (scar?) on the left side of her mouth, but other than that... Maybe it's because people don't tend to analyse faces to such a conscious extent.

What I'm trying to articulate is that the effect does not come from over-analyzing it, quite the opposite: my first thought at the reveal of those characters was 'huh, weird' and it took me out of the cinematic.

I quickly got used to it in Inquisition but a few character models just make for a very distracting first impression. It's not something I remember experiencing in other cinematic games either.

DevilDog

Cora looked weird the first moment I laid eyes on her.

Neck up everything feels wrong.

Negativity counterweight: Liam looks fucking awesome.

I heard that supposedly there's going to be new press info this month right? Can anyone confirm that to me?

We know that IGN is supposedly doing a big story/featurette/something on the game very soon and BioWare is planning a big 15 minute or so walkthrough of gameplay during the middle of February. Other than that it's unknown what's in store.

Unless I'm missing something else that was confirmed.

goishen

I suppose one of the largest things that I'm worried about in this game is what I like to call the lake effect. Imagine you're in the middle of a lake and you start swimming to shore. Now for about the first second or so, you're not really moving at all. Just flailing your arms and legs about a bit. That is until you get your freestyle stroke going, and you actually start moving somewhere. Well, that's kind'a how it is in DAI. You move in the first second, but only just barely. It felt like you were in the middle of a lake every time you wanted to move anywhere.

I understand it's great on consoles. But I don't play on a console. I put up with it in DAI. I will not put up with it in a shooter like ME.

BlizzKrut

Banned
We know that IGN is supposedly doing a big story/featurette/something on the game very soon and BioWare is planning a big 15 minute or so walkthrough of gameplay during the middle of February. Other than that it's unknown what's in store.

Unless I'm missing something else that was confirmed.

Thank you!

Despite the arguing in that other thread it's nice to finally have a tangible number of how many units Mass Effect 3 sold. It's been kind of an unknown beyond that initial 3 million in the first month we heard about.

I think the game will do very well, despite all the negativity.

DevilDog

I'll be honest... I really want a Miranda successor in Andromeda. Lol
Cause you were being really subtle about it the first time :p

Despite the arguing in that other thread it's nice to finally have a tangible number of how many units Mass Effect 3 sold. It's been kind of an unknown beyond that initial 3 million in the first month we heard about.

I think the game will do very well, despite all the negativity.

Well we knew that ME2 sold 5 million. Then me1+me2=7 million and 1+2+3=14 million.

Man ME1 is so obscure, thank god it was ported to all platforums.

Hey first post in this community and u have a question. I bought the games individual for Xbox one because all of them are now backwards compatible (and they are cheaper separately then in the trilogy) and I want to start playing them now but I can't find any of the ME2 DLC in the Xbox Store. Is it just not there or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any info shared.

Hey first post in this community and u have a question. I bought the games individual for Xbox one because all of them are now backwards compatible (and they are cheaper separately then in the trilogy) and I want to start playing them now but I can't find any of the ME2 DLC in the Xbox Store. Is it just not there or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any info shared.

Seems to be a common issue based on replies from here and reddit, something to do with Xbox 360 DLC not registering as available on Xbox One console stores.

I know you can still buy the DLC directly from the Xbox web store or on the Xbox 360 marketplace (at least here in Canada) but as for buying it on Xbox One you might be out of luck until someone in charge fixes it.

Just remember any Xbox 360 add-ons you buy won't auto-download have to be manually installed by pressing the menu button on the specific game tile in "My games and apps" and pressing "manage game".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think Cora looks great. Ultimately there's only so much you can do aesthetically with characters in context with the narrative. I'm also adamant that whenever people are underwhelmed by characters it's largely due to a subconscious comparison to the trilogy, which isn't really fair given how much screen time a lot of those characters have had to develop versus not really knowing anything about Andromeda's cast. Like I've seen people call Vetra "another Garrus" simply because of the visor and the fact she's a Turian, but we don't really know her at all. Characters like Liara, Garrus, and Tali were developed over three games and had pretty substantial arcs. It's hard to judge the Andromeda crew or anyone really until we learn who they are and what motivates them. Ultimately it's the writing that'll elevate the impression they give and how memorable they are.

I do think some of the characters look a bit...odd in proportions, like their heads are too big or something? Alec's head seems huge. But maybe it looks better when you play.

I also think the Ryder siblings look fine. They just look like people.

I wonder if they just rebooted the IP they tried to develop and fail that was set in a modern day earth setting? That too was focussed on multi/player experiences as a primary aspect.

It's exciting that BioWare is building a new world but honestly. the multiplayer focus does put a damper on my enthusiasm.

The idea that you can have a deep, interesting and dynamic world in a multiplayer context is one of those holy grails developers keep reaching for and coming up short. Sure, if you dig hard enough, there's plenty of interesting lore in Overwatch, Destiny, The Division, The Secret World etc. but moment to moment, you're still just shooting at stuff with xxxEdgeLord69xxx while memes, mechanics and loot discussions roll by in chat with no immersion whatsoever.

Story and character usually get drowned out in these kind of games which puts BioWare at risk of not playing to their main strengths. But hey, maybe they're the ones who finally get the balance right.

Having said that, I do have fond memories of Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds and DM-led campaigns which was its own special thing

DevilDog

The idea that you can have a deep, interesting and dynamic world in a multiplayer context is one of those holy grails developers keep reaching for and coming up short. Sure, if you dig hard enough, there's plenty of interesting lore in Overwatch, Destiny, The Division, The Secret World etc. but moment to moment, you're still just shooting at stuff with xxxEdgeLord69xxx while memes, mechanics and loot discussions roll by in chat with no immersion whatsoever.
Dark Souls tho

They could build from that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man, I was reminiscing about the lead up to Mass Effect 2, and in retrospect that game had a hell of a lot of buzz going at the time. All the tie in media of books, comics, figurines, and iOS game that the series hadn't seen up until that point. The bombardment of character profiles and trailers, behind the scenes dev stuff, hands on previews. It was such a big event.

dr_rus

Man, I was reminiscing about the lead up to Mass Effect 2, and in retrospect that game had a hell of a lot of buzz going at the time. All the tie in media of books, comics, figurines, and iOS game that the series hadn't seen up until that point. The bombardment of character profiles and trailers, behind the scenes dev stuff, hands on previews. It was such a big event.

Had something to do with that properly epic ending of ME1 I'd say.

Maledict

It's exciting that BioWare is building a new world but honestly. the multiplayer focus does put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Story and character usually get drowned out in these kind of games which puts BioWare at risk of not playing to their main strengths. But hey, maybe they're the ones who finally get the balance right.

Having said that, I do have fond memories of Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds and DM-led campaigns which was its own special thing

My, I partly agree, but caveated that Secret World has some of the best writing and characters in gaming full stop from my perspective - it puts almost all single player games to shame with its characters, setting and storylines. However, I'm really not sure if Bioware can hit those same level of quality - no slur on them, I love Biowares stuff, buy most of their games and enjoy them a lot (even Da:I which is the game to hate at the moment it seems).

It is possible to have great lore and characters in multiplayer games, but it's really really hard. And the one time they tried it, they failed - remember The Old Republic and them going on about how they were adding a fourth pillar, storyline, to MMOs?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Okay now that I've thought about it... Cora isn't exactly the blonde beauty I expected... lol but its okay. I was hoping for a Miranda successor... where is she?!
I personally find Miranda to be unattractive face wise (body is stunning however), but Cora to be overall far more intriguing as a LI, she's actually my type IRL so that's pretty cool for me.

I've never actually really wanted to romance anyone of the LI's in the Trilogy, but always go with Liara since she is the closest to my type, this is quite refreshingly awesome I must say.

Sara and Scott look fine, Cora and Alec have heads that look too big for their bodies.

I actually was thinking the opposite just today when rewatching the newest briefing and both cine trailers: Sara's head in particular looks comically big. Liam and Cora have big hair though, so I think that adds to their cranial bigness.

Yeul

Well, since we know that the marketing for Andromeda is an EA "experiment" it will certainly be interesting to see the results. They will absolutely hit that 6 mil lifetime number I'm sure. I'd be incredibly surprised otherwise. I guess they are trying to see how much or little they can get away with? Especially with those launch week number targets, though I don't expect them to disclose much. They were incredibly vague about DA:I with regards to specifics.

Renekton

EA has been pretty much undermarketing many AAA games recently - Titanfall 2, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst and now Andromeda. Marketing is super expensive I guess?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... we're now in February. Let the real marketing begin!

Let's just hope it doesn't start in mid-February. ;_;

Yeul

EA has been pretty much undermarketing many AAA games recently - Titanfall 2, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst and now Andromeda. Marketing is super expensive I guess?

Yeah at least in terms of movies sometimes the budget for marketing is close to production costs of the movie itself (or more) it's crazy.

prag16

Banned
In the "water is wet" news category; another day, another low quality ME:A topic in general gaming.

No problem. I'll just stay here, and wait for the game to melt my face off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom