• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt-47

Alec Ryder beard doesn't look like paint anymore. And the Krogan female also look better (if it the same one from the Nexus briefing).

I hope the game will be well polished, I'm tired of Bioware game feeling like they could be so much better with 6-12 more month in the oven.

Sou Da

Smart move putting the astronaut cap bit over the head in helmets. I was genuinely afraid we were going to just see them as bald in there.

Plasma

Banned
Looking good, I really don't mind FemRyder's default face I'll probably go with that for my second playthrough. Hard to believe it's coming out in just over a month, can't wait.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
These pictures look pretty good. Beard & hair on Alec seems a bit underwhelming, but eh... pretty hard to get perfect hair in video games I guess.

Daemul

Those pictures look alright. Hopefully they're still working on polishing the game more, but it's probably going Gold soon so they may be done by now.

Anyway. Does Mass Effect 3 multiplayer still have players on 360/Xbox One?

Yes. I've been playing MP on the XBO a lot lately and it's still easy to find a game.

This is my option of choice. Some simply discarded it because the Illusive Man was shown in the explanation but it's the only true happy ending of the series IMO.

-Catalyst Shepard clearly and explicitly states that it is his/her humans convictions (or the convictions of the man/woman s/he once was) that guide him/her, so I doubt that the 'what if s/he goes crazy!?' argument doomsayers often wield holds any real weight.

-Everybody gets to live, even if Shep doesn't get a normal life.

-The Relays are repaired asap.

-The vast ammount of cultural, scientific and other significant data inside the Reapers from the civilizations they once were is not only conserved, but offered to the Galaxy.

-The milky way gets a nigh-invincible army of protectors directed by the mind of one of the most competent individuals in history.

Agreed. Control is the only ending that game that is in any way shape or form aceptable to me tbh. TIM advocating for it is irrelevant, the

I had always hoped that there would be a way to preserve and use the great amount of knowledge that the civilisations preserved in the Reapers had, and Control gave me that, without drastically changing the foundation of the galaxy like Synthesis did, and also whilst keeping the most amount of people alive unlike with Destroy.

I do agree however that Synthesis is inevitable, and that with Control ending life in the Milky Way will reach that point sooner rather than later, but it won't happen as suddenly and out of nowhere as it did in the Synthesis ending, and will instead be a more slower build up, with people getting eased into it.

diaspora

Yea he looks great, love him.

I think people will be really pleased with how the faces model after they model their Ryder. The tech there is impressive.

Is the facial hair better? While the character creator in Inquisition was robust, hair and especially facial hair fell really short- Fallout 4 ate everyone's lunch on this.

Is the facial hair better? While the character creator in Inquisition was robust, hair and especially facial hair fell really short- Fallout 4 ate everyone's lunch on this.
I haven't seen a *ton* of that but I'd expect it all to be better than Inquisition at the very least.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

If it's anything like that Alec picture... looks like a flat texture if it's just short facial hair.

Patryn

I just want more than 2 decent hairstyles.

It was amazing how many hair choices they had in DAI that were just terrible and unusable.

If it's anything like that Alec picture... looks like a flat texture if it's just short facial hair.

Man I hope not. I want my Ryder to have a big bushy beard like in Inquisition. I am not a fan at all for any of the Ryder models. This will be the first time I actually customize my character in a ME game.

The screenshots are a nice thing to come back to after shovelling snow for 5 hours. Everything looks great.

I am curious though why the Asari in that screenshot looks much better and closer to what the Asari looked like in the trilogy than Pelessaria does. Did they deliberately try to make her look different facial structure wise? So strange.

I am curious though why the Asari in that screenshot looks much better and closer to what the Asari looked like in the trilogy than Pelessaria does. Did they deliberately try to make her look different facial structure wise? So strange.
Not really, she's just an Asari...they all look different no? You trying to say they all look alike? That's racist!

(I'm kidding lol)

Lt-47

The screenshots are a nice thing to come back to after shovelling snow for 5 hours. Everything looks great.

Asari have exactly the same facial structure as human so i don't see what you are talking about

prag16

Banned
466635_tumblr_old4rclouy1rjzczmo2_1280.jpg

How YOU doin'.

Asari have exactly the same facial structure as human so i don't see what you are talking about

Nothing to do with whether or not they look close to humans but rather the consistency of the design. Every Turian, Krogan, and Salarian shown to date all look very different and have many ways to differentiate themselves from others of their kind but at their core the very nature of the design remains consistent. It makes them very easy to identify. The only consistent factors left to identify the three Asari shown to date is skin colour and scalp. Sadly I am not a 3D animator, artist, or linguist so I can't find the correct word to describe this peculiar phenomenon.

At the very least I know finally I'm not going crazy because there was a thread in the Mass Effect subreddit the other day with people pointing out the same odd inconsistencies I'm seeing.

In the end it's not hindering my ability to get excited about playing the game. If anything it highlights the fact that everything else design-wise has been superb that such a minor thing stands out more than it normally would.

35 days to go.

Yea he looks great, love him.

I think people will be really pleased with how the faces model after they model their Ryder. The tech there is impressive.

Can you comment on whether the character face customization is at least as in depth as DAI's?

Being able to really shape the eyes was huge for me personally in DAI. Loved that feature.

Oh yea for sure.

Always assumed it would be. Good to have confirmation, thanks!

In the past it seemed we had more options in the DA's than the ME's. A good looking customized femshep would always have a certain look that you couldn't really stray from. It's nice we can finally have a really in depth CC in ME.

Gameplay coming in the next couple of days, the first of a series of videos leading up to launch.

Starting to really feel the HYPE!!!

AyzOn

Neo Member
Yea the Beard looks disappointing and Female Ryder still looks odd to me even though she looked just fine in that Cinematic Trailer we got.

Everything else looks really good though. :)

Just to illustrate what I mean :
This is the first time we see her:
http://pasteboard.co/yl0mWnbp9.png

This is from the Character Kit:
http://pasteboard.co/yl1ZbWYEs.png

And now this is the In-Game Version of her:
https://abload.de/img/466635_tumblr_old4rclzvz8n.jpg

Maybe its just the lighting not doing her a favor or something since the first two picture of her look just fine but every time we see her in Game she looks just odd.

But yea, maybe its all good at the end idk.

I think Dad Ryder's beard looks fine if I don't focus on it too hard/look for flaws in it. Beards are looking better than DAI I'd say for sure.

Man I love that Asari in these pics...

Maybe its just the lighting not doing her a favor or something since the first two picture of her look just fine but every time we see her in Game she looks just odd.

Maybe it'll be possible to make her look more like her trailer self in the CC.

This isn't a first for Bioware. Morrigan and Leliana in Origins for instance looked nothing like they did in the cinematic trailers in game.

I do agree I feel like she had a GREAT look in the cinematic (I was instantly drawn to her like I've never been with a Bioware default protag), and I'm a bit let down when it comes to her in game look even if I don't think it's bad. Like I said though...an in depth CC fixes everything.

Yea the Beard looks disappointing and Female Ryder still looks odd to me even though she looked just fine in that Cinematic Trailer we got.

Everything else looks really good though. :)

Just to illustrate what I mean :
This is the first time we see her:
http://pasteboard.co/yl0mWnbp9.png

This is from the Character Kit:
http://pasteboard.co/yl1ZbWYEs.png

And now this is the In-Game Version of her:
https://abload.de/img/466635_tumblr_old4rclzvz8n.jpg

I think you're overanalyzing. I genuinely see nothing wrong, but then again, I've never made it a habit to actually look THAT in depth at any one character in any video game.

I sure hope the free-form cover system they're using in this game is serviceable because it's been awful in every other game I've played that has implemented it.

I'd rather be locked into cover and know I'm safe than constantly fidgeting around trying to find an angle where I don't feel exposed and the character doesn't jank in every direction.

I think you're overanalyzing. I genuinely see nothing wrong, but then again, I've never made it a habit to actually look THAT in depth at any one character in any video game.

Think Ayz is over-analyzing? You should see the thread about these pics at the "new" BSN. Dear God some of those people...

Tovarisc

I think FemRyder model got downgraded quite hard after its initial reveal or BW massaged living shit out of hers initial reveal so model looked 10x better than it actually does. When put next to MaleRyder she just looks like something that was thrown together somewhat quick in comparison and they never returned to give that model passes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AyzOn

Neo Member
I wasnt even "analyzing" (it took a minute to make those two screenshots) its just something that stood out to me and if it doesnt for you its fine. Im not trying to prove that she looks odd, I tried to show what I think makes her look odd by using pictures as I cant quite describe it myself.
Maybe she looks completely normal in those pictures and I´m just wrong.

As I said it might just be the lighting or whatever.
Ive seen a lot of people in the Screenshot Discussion Thread having the same opinion thats why I chose to post it here.

I wasnt even "analyzing" (it took a minute to make those two screenshots) its just something that stood out to me and if it doesnt for you its fine. Im not trying to prove that she looks odd, I tried to show what I think makes her look odd by using pictures as I cant quite describe it myself.
Maybe she looks completely normal in those pictures and I´m just wrong.

As I said it might just be the lighting or whatever.
Ive seen a lot of people in the Screenshot Discussion Thread having the same opinion thats why I chose to post it here.

It's been a sentiment that has been almost literally echoed (as in, people literally repeating "she looks odd, but I can't quite put my finger on it") ever since that infamous GIF. I liken it to the "The Last of Us's ending was so good we don't need a sequel!" thing that went around for so long. It's as if it's something that somehow gets stuck in the zeitgeist.

Like, seriously. She's based on a real life person. And it's not as if this is somehow their first walk in the park. What they did with this character they've being doing for the past decade. If you think she looks odd, then that's telling me you think the person in real life looks odd, which is kind of ridiculous given that we're talking about a professional model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom