• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most Commonly Spoken Foreign Languages in Each State (Besides Spanish)

As a Filipino-American (born & living in California no less), I'm not really shocked that Tagalog is the most spoken foreign language in the state.

I may not speak the language, but whenever I'm out and overhear anyone speaking Tagalog, my brain immediately starts to translate what they're saying due to understanding it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The Amish and Mennonites predominantly speak German, and there are some smaller communities throughout the Midwest that have strong German heritage. They're probably a small portion of the population overall, but they add up (especially when Spanish is excluded from the results).

As a German I'd be super interested what kind of differences might there be between german spoken in germany and "their" german.

iamblades

As a German I'd be super interested what kind of differences might there be between german spoken in germany and "their" german.

It's different than standard modern german, but there are still a lot of people in Germany that speak the Palatine dialect, which is very similar.

IIRC Swiss german is closer than what is common in most of modern Germany.

In it's written form it may be completely unrecognizeable to a German though, because some groups write it with english phonetics instead of german.

FyreWulff

Def would've thought Vietnamese/Mandarin would be more than Tagalog in CA

Was gonna say wtf at Vietnamese in Oklahoma/Nebraska but I seem to remember my gf's parents lived in one of those two states after arriving from Vietnam in the 70s lol

Yeah we have a lot of Vietnamese stuff here. I go to the Vietnamese grocery store down the street the whole time.

I'm not surprised at Arabic taking over as #3, we're one of the refugee cities here in Omaha.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's different than standard modern german, but there are still a lot of people in Germany that speak the Palatine dialect, which is very similar.

IIRC Swiss german is closer than what is common in most of modern Germany.

In it's written form it may be completely unrecognizeable to a German though, because some groups write it with english phonetics instead of german.

sounds awesome. I need to find a book about that topic..

aznpxdd

Pretty sure California belongs to Chinese. The options available for this study seems to be made by white people who have no idea about foreign languages.

Media

So happy New Mexico was listed as Navajo, even though it's not foreign. I knew it would be. Even the English and Spanish slang from there is covered in Navajo loans. I love it.

...though no one understands my basic slang Spanish lol

Wouldn't English be the commonly spoken foreign language besides Spanish?

OK I KNOW, pc, blah blah, but it's messed up to call native languages foreign.

Zoe

Pretty sure California belongs to Chinese. The options available for this study seems to be made by white people who have no idea about foreign languages.
What makes you say that?

Edit: here are all the API languages

Code:
662 .India N.E.C.
663 .Hindi
664 .Bengali
665 .Panjabi
666 .Marathi
667 .Gujarati
671 .Urdu
674 .Nepali
675 .Sindhi
676 .Pakistan N.E.C.
677 .Sinhalese
694 .Mongolian
701 .Telugu
702 .Kannada
703 .Malayalam
704 .Tamil
708 .Chinese
711 .Cantonese
712 .Mandarin
714 .Formosan
717 .Burmese
720 .Thai
721 .Mien
722 .Hmong
723 .Japanese
724 .Korean
725 .Laotian
726 .Mon-Khmer, Cambodian
728 .Vietnamese
732 .Indonesian
739 .Malay
742 .Tagalog
743 .Bisayan
744 .Sebuano
746 .Ilocano
750 .Micronesian
752 .Chamorro
761 .Trukese
767 .Samoan
768 .Tongan
776 .Hawaiian
986 .Other Asian languages
988 .Other Pacific Island languages

Aside from "Formosan", I don't see anything wrong with that list.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Other page:

One of the most interesting data sets for aspiring mapmakers is the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. Among other things, that survey includes a detailed look at the languages spoken in American homes. All the maps below are based on the responses to this survey. However, an ACS participant does not select his language from a list of predeteremined options; he fills in a blank box with his self-selected answer. For instance, some people answered the ACS with “Chinese,” while others gave specific dialects such as “Mandarin” or “Cantonese”. These were all treated as different languages in the ACS data and when constructing these maps. (See the raw data here.) New York is marked “Chinese” because more people responded with “Chinese” than any other language other than English or Spanish. If all Chinese languages (or languages under the umbrella of a larger language family) had been grouped together, the answers for many states would change.

L00P

Going back to the Tagalog vs Filipino thing, the census only gives Tagalog as an option.

I've never heard of Filipino as being distinctly different, but my father was born in the 30's and the change happened in 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_language

"Filipino" isn't really anything. I think Tagalog was just made the official Filipino language because most Filipinos understand it one way or another.

The Philippines has so many dialects and a lot of them sound completely different from Tagalog that you might as well call em a different language. As a native speaker, I can only barely understand a couple of other dialects and the rest just sound foreign to me

"Filipino" isn't really anything. I think Tagalog was just made the official Filipino language because most Filipinos understand it one way or another.

The Philippines has so many dialects and a lot of them sound completely different from Tagalog that you might as well call em a different language. As a native speaker, I can only barely understand a couple of other dialects and the rest just sound foreign to me

I can relate to that. My mom's side is Ilocano and my Father's side is Tagalog (technically from Zambales) and they can't understand each other for shit. The only common words are loan words from Spanish.

Ilocano and Tagalog are different languages. No way in hell is Ilocano a dialect of Tagalog or Filipino.

Most of my relatives who are Ilocano that understand tagalog only understand it because they were taught it as a second language in school

Top Bottom