• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most godawful Star Trek moments (with spoilers and gifs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One I haven't seen in this thread: there's an episode of DS9 where O'Brien spends twenty years in an alien prison for treason. Except not really, because it was all a holographic simulation. But it was real to him. He has twenty years of memories that can't be removed, including him murdering his cellmate. He gets back to DS9 and tries to get back to his life but he can't handle it, nearly hitting his daughter and then attempting suicide. But Bashir stops him and O'Brien tells him everything. THEN O'BRIEN IS MAGICALLY CURED THROUGH THE POWER OF SCIENCE AND THE EPISODE ENDS AND IT IS NEVER REFERENCED AGAIN.

One I haven't seen in this thread: there's an episode of DS9 where O'Brien spends twenty years in an alien prison for treason. Except not really, because it was all a holographic simulation. But it was real to him. He has twenty years of memories that can't be removed, including him murdering his cellmate. He gets back to DS9 and tries to get back to his life but he can't handle it, nearly hitting his daughter and then attempting suicide. But Bashir stops him and O'Brien tells him everything. THEN O'BRIEN IS MAGICALLY CURED THROUGH THE POWER OF SCIENCE AND THE EPISODE ENDS AND IT IS NEVER REFERENCED AGAIN.

Hard Time. Great ep.

Kinda the same as The Inner Light from TNG. Another great ep. Which is then only referenced once in Lessons, so the fact Hard Time is never mentioned again doesn't bother me.

Hard Time. Great ep.

Kinda the same as The Inner Light from TNG. Another great ep. Which is then only referenced once in Lessons, so the fact Hard Time is never mentioned again doesn't bother me.

If I remember correctly, Picard keeps playing the flute he gets in The Inner Light and it's seen several times in later episodes.

Regarding Inner Light, I recall reading somewhere at the time the writers didn't realise that the events would have such a big impact upon Picard and only thought about it afterwards. Probably why it is referenced so lightly. But then Picard is a very private person so it's unlikely he's going to blab about it constantly. I imagine he and Troi had a few sessions about it. Brilliant episode though.

Haven't watched TNG in years but I'm pretty sure it's only brought up again in Lessons.

Hmm, how about A Fistful of Datas? Picard played flute in the teaser act. And a deleted scene from Nemesis, but that doesn't count really. But I think the flute was seen on background in several episodes...

Hard Time. Great ep.

Terrible, horrible episode. The only one worse might be that one with Dax's murderer host, where she and Sisko discover that the entire foundation for Trill society is bullshit designed to maintain the status quo. The whole episode is her reliving horrible memories of her stressful abusive time at the Trill academy or whatever it was called, and then she learns it was completely unnecessary, and she doesn't care. They go home and everyone's happy ever after.

Even during the episode with the lesbian kiss from earlier in the thread. They can't be together because Trill society forbids it, but Dax has Trill society over a barrel. Or she would if characters could remember things that happen in other episodes, which they obviously can't.

Have you watched the episode recently? He wasn't cured through science.

Terrible, horrible episode. The only one worse might be that one with Dax's murderer host, where she and Sisko discover that the entire foundation for Trill society is bullshit designed to maintain the status quo. The whole episode is her reliving horrible memories of her stressful abusive time at the Trill academy or whatever it was called, and then she learns it was completely unnecessary, and she doesn't care. They go home and everyone's happy ever after.

Even during the episode with the lesbian kiss from earlier in the thread. They can't be together because Trill society forbids it, but Dax has Trill society over a barrel. Or she would if characters could remember things that happen in other episodes, which they obviously can't.

You must be drunk. I applaud the GAF mods.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hard Time is a horrible episode? Wow. If anything, it's one of my favorites.

I personally disliked the episode in the context of the series as it was never mentioned again and in the very next few episodes he is 100% normal. Unlike shows like Babylon 5, star trek has always had this problem and its terribly annoying.

The episode it self is very interesting and well handled, it just in the greater context it exposes the flaws of the writing crew and the shows continuity, and for that it is a "Bad" episode as it serves to detract from the series instead of play to its strengths.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I personally disliked the episode in the context of the series as it was never mentioned again and in the very next few episodes he is 100% normal. Unlike shows like Babylon 5, star trek has always had this problem and its terribly annoying.

The episode it self is very interesting and well handled, it just in the greater context it exposes the flaws of the writing crew and the shows continuity, and for that it is a "Bad" episode as it serves to detract from the series instead of play to its strengths.

This is the reason why I watched Babylon 5 instead of DS9 when both were on their original runs. B5's running continuity and constant character development was absolutely refreshing compared to the standalone reset button approach Star Trek is famous for.

It was only when DS9 started copying B5 that it became good.
Come at me bro.

Eh. I disagree. It's more likely that the writers felt that they had nothing more to say on the subject (or didn't know what else to do with it). The episode itself took place over several weeks, and he was going to see the psychologist beyond the episode's ending. The next few episodes, "Shattered Mirror" and "For the Cause" had nothing to do with him.

In another episode, "Honor Among Thieves," O'Brien is responsible for a man getting himself killed. He takes the man's cat to take care of and you see that even in "What You Leave Behind," and O'Brien checks up on the man's wife in an episode in S7.
It was only when DS9 started copying B5 that it became good.
Come at me bro.
DS9 never copied Babylon 5. Ira Behr always wanted to take the show into a darker, more serialized format, and when he became executive producer, it's what he did. If you read DS9: Companion, it's pretty clear that the writers never paid attention to B5, and they were just doing their own thing.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
She probably didn't want to be typecast as the woman with the ridges on her forehead and nose. Or doomed to forever haunt the convention scene.
How terrible! People remembering your name and wanting to give you money to appear places long after you've stopped working. Turrible... turrible.

I seem to remember an interview where she was hesitant about scifi but I think it was mainly that she was pursuing movies hard at the time.
She and David Caruso, forever on the Island of Actors Who Make Poor Career Decisions in an Attempt to Thwart Destiny.

How terrible! People remembering your name and wanting to give you money to appear places long after you've stopped working. Turrible... turrible.

I'm sure it's not all that great, especially doing it alot and basically dealing with thousands of fans who just repeat the same things, telling the same stories, living in some short lived glory you had. I can imagine it being a simple and fun gig for some, but its obvious many of them hate doing it when you see them at these cons and talk to them. Some though obviously like it and are very lively individuals when you meet them. I imagine many wished things had gone differently no matter what, while some just realize that they got it as good as it ever was going to be, especially older sci fi actors who generally have little options to go after a TV show.

She and David Caruso, forever on the Island of Actors Who Make Poor Career Decisions in an Attempt to Thwart Destiny.

No doubt, but if you're an actor, a) movies are probably what you dreamed of doing, b)movies pay much, much better per hour on the high end and c) travel/variety that you don't get playing the same person year after year.

For most people it doesn't work but then you get the Clooney (or more recently, Seyfried) type that jumps and never looks back.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It's not like trauma was ever a big thing in the show. Even with Picard and the Borg, it was never an issue unless the Borg were around. Heck, even one of TNG's best episodes, "The Inner Light" with a similar premise to "Hard Time" was only referenced again once as far as the impact it had on Picard.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Allamaraine, count to four,
Allamaraine, then three more,
Allamaraine, if you can see,
Allamaraine, you'll come with me...

*facepalm

I actually didn't mind this episode, and though it was a pretty neat idea of how a species approaches First Contact with other species by playing games.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm sure it's not all that great, especially doing it alot and basically dealing with thousands of fans who just repeat the same things, telling the same stories, living in some short lived glory you had. I can imagine it being a simple and fun gig for some, but its obvious many of them hate doing it when you see them at these cons and talk to them. Some though obviously like it and are very lively individuals when you meet them. I imagine many wished things had gone differently no matter what, while some just realize that they got it as good as it ever was going to be, especially older sci fi actors who generally have little options to go after a TV show.
For many sci-fi actors there is the obvious danger of being typecast, but usually the alternative to playing a really well known role is to live in obscurity...which is a legitimate choice, of course. Some actors may not want to milk the same role for their entire lives. But there is also no guarantee of a great and fulfilling career in TV or the movies. Fortunately, Michelle Forbes is talented; I thought she was great in both BSG and The Killing.

Cheerilee

IIRC, I read something once about how after TOS all of the Trek actors were going through some really tough times. At this point, Shatner adopted a new philosophy for life about balancing how much money he really needed against how much of his own dignity he was willing to sell.

And he said that they all got through this rough patch by looking out for each other. Even the ones who supposedly hated each other. As I recall, Shatner said it was Doohan (the guy who was supposedly feuding with him worse than Takei) who told him about Star Trek conventions. Shatner's initial reaction was that a Trek convention sounded worse than a children's birthday party, and he wasn't in deep enough trouble to do that yet. But Doohan hounded him and hounded him, and eventually Shatner just agreed to go to one just to get Doohan off his back, and he said it was the greatest thing he had done since auditioning for Trek. Doohan was right and Shatner should have listened to him years earlier.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
How big are the chances of an new Star Trek TV series showing up some time?

I'm guessing that once the movies run out of steam we may see something. But don't bet on it. I assume that the chances of it being an expansion of the main series' timeline would be zero.

MC Safety

You may think conventions are great, but is it possible that someone else might not think the way you do?

I'm guessing that once the movies run out of steam we may see something. But don't bet on it. I assume that the chances of it being an expansion of the main series' timeline would be zero.
Yeah probably =( I would love to sit down once a week and watch some new stuff and hope they make something in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom