• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mummy Million Times Better Special Effects Over Mummy Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

BojTrek

Banned
Who the hell did The Mummy Returns special effects... while I like both the Mummy and the Mummy Returns... the special effects are really sickening in the Mummy Returns...

I am sure that I have posted in other Mummy topics... but it was on TBS or something last night... and watching the Scorpian King at the end and the army of wolf zombies make me think they really should re-do the effects.

How can a movie coming out maybe 2-4 years after the original have effects that lok worse?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BojTrek said:
Who the hell did The Mummy Returns special effects... while I like both the Mummy and the Mummy Returns... the special effects are really sickening in the Mummy Returns...

I am sure that I have posted in other Mummy topics... but it was on TBS or something last night... and watching the Scorpian King at the end and the army of wolf zombies make me think they really should re-do the effects.

How can a movie coming out maybe 2-4 years after the original have effects that lok worse?

they blew their wad paying for the Rock?

LakeEarth

Different director? I dunno. It's just one of those things where some directors know how to use brief scenes, pulled back angles to hide the fakeness of a CG sequence, while others just show the CG characters head on and hide nothing, ending up looking fake.

Kinda like the Matrix Reloaded where you zoom up to Neo's face. Sure it looks pretty much exactly like Keanu, but you KNOW something is just wrong with the scene (no blemishes was their main mistake)... so I just don't think they'll ever make a CG character where you just can't tell if he's real or not (showing him head on, at least).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ILM did the effects for both, but I recall there was a lot of conflict between ILM and Universal/Sommers. ILM received the footage late or something and then they kept getting requests for changes and/or additional fancy effects, so everything ended up kinda half-assed in order to make the release date.

LakeEarth said:
Different director? I dunno. It's just one of those things where some directors know how to use brief scenes, pulled back angles to hide the fakeness of a CG sequence, while others just show the CG characters head on and hide nothing, ending up looking fake.

Kinda like the Matrix Reloaded where you zoom up to Neo's face. Sure it looks pretty much exactly like Keanu, but you KNOW something is just wrong with the scene (no blemishes was their main mistake)... so I just don't think they'll ever make a CG character where you just can't tell if he's real or not (showing him head on, at least).

Same director on both movies. He's also a pretty lame director.

SFA_AOK

Yeah I heard somewhere that they only had two weeks to do that stuff of the scorpion king at the end. Though 2 weeks sounds ridiculously short, even considering how shite it looks.

lexi

Banned
Nothing especially 'bad' stood out from The Mummy Returns EXCEPT for the ending scene with The Rock. The worst rendering ever used in any movie, ever.

Shinobi

BojTrek said:

Heh, try watching Superman 3 and 4 after Superman 1 and 2...the blue lines in the last two movies stand out like glo lamps.

ManaByte

Yeah, I like both Mummy movies about equally except for the ending of Returns which is just way too much bad CG.

I wouldn't mind seeing a third Mummy movie to complete a trilogy if they set it ten years after Returns (like Returns was ten years after The Mummy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom