• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mummy |OT| A New World of Gods and Monsters

("I think...I think...I think....I think we're going to die"

In Cruise's defense I doubt anyone could have made that line work. The entire set up is awful.

Come to think of it all the on-location desert scenes barely function. If you had told me they were the first to be filmed I would have believed you, but it turns out they were the last.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They didn't even give The Mummy much to do. She spends most of the movie
in chains, and then gets bodied by ultra-man Tom Cruise at the end. Bullshit waste of a neat idea for a Cleopatra-like villain and a pretty fun performance in what was otherwise a nothing role.

They really wasted Sofia Boutella. Even the "fight" in the forest that we saw in the trailers sucked. I thought they just cut it up for comedic effect...but nope, she knocks Cruise into the air and then gets captured. They put more effort into
Mr. Hyde's freak-out.

The two things I'll give the movie credit for. Good setpieces. And it's incredibly lean (pretty sure it's less than 2 hours).

Dominator

I saw this yesterday before the Sony presser in theaters, and I am struggling to remember most of it. It was so bland and just blah that I retained no info from it. I'm seeing images flashing in my head but all I see is boring shit.

This movie sucked.

I was legit mad at it.

A few things that irked me
the way Set-Cruise brought Jenny back to life was laughably bad.

I thought Cruise would just be a vessel for Set, that Cruise was just a body chosen by the Mummy to be a vessel for Set in order to manifest himself, but I guess fucking not.

The Mummy had those "I have this arbitrary power because the plot demands it" type of powers.

Lach

I'm mad at this movie. Especially as there are glimpses of an actually good movie in there. Or more like 3 or 4 good movies that weirdly got mashed to gethere. You have advanture, action, horror elements that just don't match together. I have seen movies that do this where it works and here it just doesn't.

And yes the last 30 minutes are a complete mess.

I enjoyed this up until near the end. Oh well. I don't get too upset about dumb popcorn movies like this, though - just want something to entertain me for two hours.
The banter in this was really awkward and didn't work very well, though.

Fury451

Banned
They really wasted Sofia Boutella. Even the "fight" in the forest that we saw in the trailers sucked. I thought they just cut it up for comedic effect...but nope, she knocks Cruise into the air and then gets captured. They put more effort into
Mr. Hyde's freak-out.

The two things I'll give the movie credit for. Good setpieces. And it's incredibly lean (pretty sure it's less than 2 hours).

I can agree with both those positives.

And yes, she was fully wasted, as was the entire premise in general. They could've gone in so many fun directions while keeping it scary. I didn't quite get what people meant by tonal inconsistencies at first, but it is truly a mess.

I actually saw it too. I thought it was a mess, but it wasn't as bad as some are making it out to be. I don't even know what the background of the production is, but it just felt like there were probably too many cooks in the kitchen. I guess that goes along with wanting to start a new cinematic universe before the first movie even gets off the ground.

It's about what I expected. Pretty bad writing, pretty non-sensical plot, but there are hints of some good things in there. I don't think the CU is unsalvageable yet.

Timu

This movie sucks!

I actually liked the trailers for this movie so I was hoping for it to be good, or decent, average, etc. Instead, we have a pretty bad movie with hardly anything good about it.

The story was eh, the pacing was all over the place(mostly slow), the humor didn't work, the acting and dialog were so terrible at times and I didn't really care a lot about the characters. Then we have that finale which is just so awful I couldn't believe what I just saw. There wasn't much fun to be had with this movie, it's just a trainwreck all around. Not even the action could save this movie.

The reviews were right, it really did suck. I was hoping I would like it despite the horrible reviews but they were right. This is easily one of the worst movies I've seen this year.

I hope future Dark Universe movies do well though.

Ithil

So yeah, I had some time to kill near a cinema so I went to see it. It's exactly what I was warned. A tepid script that borrows a little too liberally from other films, and bland and forgettable characters aside from the actual Mummy herself (Sofia Boutella does a fine job making her feel memorable enough and her design is very good), who is unfortunately marginalized in favour of more Tom Cruise running and squinting. Despite the film being called The Mummy, she isn't really the focus at all.

The whole Dark Universe set-up is obnoxious and takes up at least a third of the film, leaving the actual Mummy film half-baked, wasting some decent effects and good design work. It also felt very disconnected from Ancient Egypt, with only the brief prologue actually taking place there and the rest of the film having next to nothing to do with it. The severe tonal problems, as mentioned by a lot of folks, are a real pain, as the film can't decide if it wants to be light and jokey like the 1999 reboot, or serious and dark like the older films. The rapid changes from scary to funny works for the Fraser film as it's intentionally a light hearted adventure film with a few good scares.

This film by contrast is set in modern day, filmed with a dark colour palette and lots of self-serious dialogue from Russell Crowe, yet has numerous silly gags thrown in at random times. They could not settle on what they wanted the film to be.
There were too many cooks in this kitchen.

The Dark Universe label also kills any possible tension as naturally all the major characters will have to survive for future films. Even the Mummy herself is defeated but it's made abundantly clear they can just bring her back at any time, if they want her in a team-up film or whatever.
That's the real problem with making a universe based around the monsters that are the villains of their original films. Suddenly Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster and co can't die at the end of their films, they have to survive or be not completely dead so they can be in The Revengers: Cruise Control.

Ithil

They didn't even give The Mummy much to do. She spends most of the movie
in chains, and then gets bodied by ultra-man Tom Cruise at the end. Bullshit waste of a neat idea for a Cleopatra-like villain and a pretty fun performance in what was otherwise a nothing role.

I also found the manner of
her defeat
a little suspect. I get that
it's paying back her method of murder, but it's still Cruise slamming a woman down on her back and forcibly kissing her, complete with shots of her legs kicking and struggling. It seemed unnecessarily lurid.

Blue Lou

I liked it. I think there was too much going on though.

I quite like how she commanded the
'Sands of Egypt' and the glass (which is made with sand) was under her control
. I thought that was pretty original.

It was rated as 15 in the UK so not many people were at my screening.

xrnzaaas

The movie wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but it was still bad and I was struggling to make it to the end. One of the worst ideas (aside from combining as many genres as possible) was probably trying to make it look like the first film from the Dark Universe without even knowing if that'll even succeed. Studios really need to stop doing that in the future.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Finally saw this flick, and it's not terrible, but it's a very weak start to the potential universe. Jenny's whole point was to be the catalyst to fuck everything up. Russell Crowe was fucking great though. I will say this. They should go apeshit with this dark universe concept. I know the Wolfman is in the works, but they should allude to an American werewolf as well. And fuck it, somehow add the ferryman from ghost ship in this. Just go nuts.

Ferr986

Saw it and man, it was that bad. I mean, it started fun enough but it went downhill when the Mummy appeared, basically because she was useless as fuck, especially compared to the original Mummy movie.

And the ending was so fucking dumb and made the Mummy even more weak....
and why the fuck is Cruise still Cruise but with superpowers instead of Set?

Top Bottom