• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

SeanNoonan

Not long finished The Walking Dead (X360) and GTA: The Lost and Damned (X360).

Next up / currently playing FarCry 2 (X360), Metal Gear Solid (PSVita) and Hotline Miami (PC).

I will skip this. For the simple reason that I often buy indie games that I know I'll never play, for the sole purpose of supporting its developer.

Necrovex

As I slowly realize that I may live in Japan by August, I have decided to break away from this challenge. If my goal actually pans out, buying games will become extremely expensive when I move there. Might as well build that backlog now and try this again when I have a damn good reason (limited income and games being super expensive).

Haven't pulled the trigger on a game yet though I have been tempted to on a lot of them.

However, that Xbox Live sale is crying for some pick ups starting next Tuesday. FUCK!!!

Seik

Banned
At first I laughed at this thread, thinking I would never be able to do it...

...but now I just bought a condo...so yeah, starting at April 1st I may be in this crew. =_=

zkylon

zkylewd
At first I laughed at this thread, thinking I would never be able to do it...

...but now I just bought a condo...so yeah, starting at April 1st I may be in this crew. =_=
Oh at first I thought you had saved enough money to buy a condo.

Was about to ask you how much did you spent on Steam each month...

Nert

I might join this *after* the Steam winter sale. There's a handful of games that I still really want to pick up (including some gifts for others), but after that, I really need to take care of the backlog. I have barely even touched The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and I just bought Dark Souls a few weeks ago...

Seik

Banned
Oh at first I thought you had saved enough money to buy a condo.

Was about to ask you how much did you spent on Steam each month...

Well I saved more than enough money, its just that I'm the kind of guy who wants a big money pillow just in case something bad happens, so the moment I'll get in it, I'll be extra, extra careful.

Well I bought pretty much everything I wanted on Steam during the summer of 2011. The only thing I bought since then is Jet Set Radio iirc. :p

kaioshade

backlog is huge, and preparing to move into new residence with the gf, so money might be tight for a while.

Although I might have to break for revengeance. Not sure.

But i definitely want to go through that backlog.

RpgN

Here's some new update, I haven't bought or received new games. I've continued with Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future on the dreamcast and Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing on the ps3. Another older backlog game I continued with is Numblast, it's a playstation mobile game on the vita. It was a game I already started on before getting Jet Set Radio. Most of its modes are endless but there is puzzle mode with 50 puzzles, I'll consider the game officially done after completing puzzle mode. Currently there are 30 puzzles completed.

Since it has been well over a month, it's time to look back at the new games received and games completed:

Games bought/received as gifts for Nov-Dec:

Okami HD (psn) gifted
Jet Set Radio (psn, vita) bought
Jetpack Joyride (psn, minis) gifted
Tomba 2 (psn, ps1) bought

Games completed:

Gunbird 2 (dreamcast)
Dead or Alive Dimensions (3ds)
Joe Danger (psn, ps3)
Jet Set Radio
Shift Extended (psn, minis)
Jetpack Joyride (doesn't really have an ending or beginning, so it's just there)

zkylon

zkylewd
So, still standing on this thing.

Basically I used some of the free time these weeks to beat a few short games, so I got Lone Survivor, Home and Dear Esther wrapped up. I feel I got a pretty good narrative and semi-horror-esque indie kick out of them.

Out of the bunch my favorite's gotta be Lone Survivor, mostly because it's the only one with actual mechanics in it, but also because they're pretty good ones at that. Surviving and exploring was pretty good, and I enjoyed the Twin Peaks and the Silent Hill influences a lot. The soundtrack is also amazing, I'll see about buying that someday.

Dear Esther is kinda good, it impresses you on the audiovisual front all the time (I tried it with headphones and it's great), but I felt the story kinda goes nowhere and it didn't reach that perfect middle between too ambiguous and too plain. It just fiddles between one and the other way too often and neither are particularly interesting.

Home is what it is, I liked the story I came up with for my dude, but don't feel like trying it again. Actually, all these games are meant for multiple playthroughs because the story in all of them is in some way or another variable, but for one reason or another, I didn't feel like I wanted to replay them. Maybe Lone Survivor, but I dunno.

In any case, I started playing Psychonauts but since Binary Domain's on sale I snatched that up and plan on starting it as soon as it downloads. Been eager to play a shooter for a little while, so I hope this quenches my thirst.

jono51

Banned
Finished Metro 2033. Pretty good game overall, with a nice blend of fps and survival horror elements. What's weird is they decided to shove in QTE's and stuff at random points, ruining the feel. Also the opening 30 mins or so was pretty badly done and not representative of the rest.

zkylon

zkylewd
Finished Metro 2033. Pretty good game overall, with a nice blend of fps and survival horror elements. What's weird is they decided to shove in QTE's and stuff at random points, ruining the feel. Also the opening 30 mins or so was pretty badly done and not representative of the rest.
I found the ending of that game to be one of the best I've ever played. The buildup of moving as a squad for the first time in the game and just exploring the power station's ruins was perfectly paced, and I really liked the good ending (I enjoy games that can be both depressing and optimistic at the same time). The only thing that sours it are the annoying respawning blobs, unfortunately...

I done fucked up!

Being the devout VitaBro that I am, I couldn't pass up both LBP and Playstation All Stars for $20

If i'm kicked out of the club, I understand =/

Taglioli

Neo Member
I've done surprisingly well, despite trying to squirm around my own rules. I thought I'd cave into all the sales. And when I say I'm doing surprisingly well, I mean in the buying games part. Not so much with the making my backlog go in the negative direction part.

I did cave in and used the escape clause to buy The Walking Dead yesterday. I just finished the first episode and should be able to finish the rest this week.

In the first month of the challenge:

Bought:
Rock Band Blitz (XBLA)
Guardians of Middle Earth (PSN)

The problem with having bought both of these is that they are both time wasters for me. I've put a horrible amount of time into these two games, albeit an enjoyable horrible amount of time, but if I continue to do this I'm never going to make it through any of my backlog. Though I've decided to start selling off a lot of my video game collection, so that should lessen my backlog. That kind of feels like cheating, though.

I was gifted Legend of Grimrock. I've only just started it, with about 3 hours in, but I think I'm hooked. I also won a copy of Krater, which I'm going to wait to start after I finish Grimrock. And then I was gifted Titan Quest...

Completed/Beat:
Zork
Zork II

So not much progress in the completed games section for me so far. But I'm in the middle of several that I made decent progress in. My nephew and I are stuck in Zork III. I finally made it to the last planet in SpaceChem, but I'm not sure I will ever actually be able to solve it. I'm in the middle of Explodemon! (PSN) right now. And I started Jet Set Radio (Vita), but I'm really bad at it, though enjoying it.

Right.

otakuderek

Resisted temptation to purchase a Wii U today. Otherwise, I haven't purchased anything since Black Friday sales. I haven't made hardly any progress since I have been moving in the meantime.

Spierek

Week 6:
Games bought - 1
Games finished - 3
Backlog - still loads.
Now playing - Radiant Historia, Army of Two

Not enough time for games this week, but I've started going through Radiant Historia. It's really good so far, I like the idea of a timeline-based jRPG. Also, I've added all of my unplayed/unfinished Steam games to the Backloggery (little less than 100 titles right now).

Katzii

Week 2 Summary: December 16th 2012

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 1
Games started: 0
New games purchased: 0
Total spent on games since 01/12/2012: £15.71

This week hasn't been an overly productive one for gaming due to sickness, although I did manage to beat Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two on the Wii - I want to go back and visit this one again sometime, but right now, I want to work on whittling down my backlog. No new games(!), but one down at the very least. I'm also very close to completing Skylanders Giants on the 3DS; I can imagine another hour or two with the game and I will be done.

Realistically, I'm not sure all these games will ever be completed; most of my PC games are Windows 98 and older and although I indeed have a machine for them, I don't know how well it continues to work.

My progress on my backlog is probably going to be very little, if non-existent, over the next couple of weeks as I am going to be spending a lot of time visiting people. I hope to play a few games at the very least, but I will be truly laying into my backlog as of the New Year.

Only games ive bought this year were Halo 4 and Counter Strike GO so yea not much of a challenge for some people.

Only game ill probably buy next year are GTA and maybe Gears

Kuntz

Oh no...
Just bought FTL and Defender's Quest on Steam, THEN remembered this thread, guilt is rushing.

Damn you, GAF !

Oh well I was going to play them right off the bat because my current backlog games are cleared (P3P girl side, Endless space, Rogue galaxy).

quetz67

Banned
That is really easy. Backlog + PS Plus.

The ones I am really looking forward to like "The Last of Us" I will play through in a few days after purchase. I don't usually come back for multiplayer or different difficulty because I lack the time.

Actually this is a plan I had decided on already. But will start 2013 to see what holiday offers the appstore brings ;) Hope for Walking Dead.

Katzii

Games as gifts are acceptable, as far as I was told earlier in the thread. I always get at least a game or two at Christmas and birthdays, and it would be rude to turn away a gift!

RpgN

^
Yep!

Oh no...
Just bought FTL and Defender's Quest on Steam, THEN remembered this thread, guilt is rushing.

Damn you, GAF !

Oh well I was going to play them right off the bat because my current backlog games are cleared (P3P girl side, Endless space, Rogue galaxy).

This thread is not meant to make you feel guilty but help you out. Besides, you can buy games anyways, as long as you play them straight, which is what you're doing. You can also make rules for yourself (as in exceptions) such as me thinking it's okay to buy the same games you already own on different systems, since they don't affect your backlog when you already own them.

So far the thread has helped out quite a bit, it's slowly changing my buying habits. I'm getting more used to the idea of getting games once I'm ready for them. We still have Christmas to go, and so far there hasn't been a strong enough deal to make me lose it.

A slight update, Numblast has been completed on the vita. All vita games are complete besides Rayman Origins, I'll play this one after finishing Rayman 2 and 3. It's easy for me to buy a new vita game such as Sine Mora, 3 playstation mobile games, maybe Silent Hill Book of Memories and maybe AC:L but for now they'll have to wait. They're not one of those games I'm dying to play, they might show up as discounts soon and other games wiill come soon that I'm planning to play straight, such as Dokuro and Ragnorak Odyssey. It's better to focus on other backlog games on other systems for now, thus I continued with Xenogears on the psp. I made tons of progress and really enjoy the game so far. Once Xenogears is out of the way, I'll focus on the 3DS provided no interesting new vita games show up. The games to play would be in this order for now: Zelda Link's Awakening, Fire Emblem GBA and Pushimo/Pullblox. I really want to play those games already.

RpgN

Are you seriously going to do this in the year Xbox 3 and ps4 come out? Not to mention wii u just came out.

It depends on what kind of a gamer you are. Besides handhelds, I have no interest in Xbox 3 and ps4. The future is not bright with the kind of games I enjoy, plus crappy DRM and more ways to nickle and dime your consumers. Things might change in the future but I honestly doubt that, also patience is key. You don't have to get a system day one if you do change your mind eventually. As for the Wii U, I really don't like more gimmicks, having different peripherals and having a huge game pad around. As far as games go, they appeal more so far but I'm too iffy on the hardware. I'd really rather not get a hardware at all and just enjoy what is currently here. It looks like my future might be handheld only with retro systems for the time being.

Still in the challenge! After Ledsen preventing my previous impulse purchase, I haven't even checked GoG for their sales.

Currently going through my PSP backlog:

- Wipeout Pure is awesomely unworldly incredible! I just wish the PSP analog nub was an analog stick [or that PSV supported UMD!], and that they allowed to load custom music. The game difficulty is on the right level, really enjoying the challenge.

- GTA: Vice City Stories at first didn't click with me, but after playing a little more, I am getting into it and enjoying it; I like the characters.

- Final Fantasy Tactics been a pain, either I absolutely don't know how to play, or the piece that I am stuck in is too difficult.

- Might and Magic VII was mostly nostalgia; after playing it from start once again, I find the combat to be horrible, but the environments are still truly amazing; woman voice for men and vice versa is ridiculous, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

- SC II: Haven't played the campaign since few weeks ago back in Germany, either it is a slow burner or the story is useless.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok so beaten my recently bought Binary Domain. Great game, totally nuts in the good way, and you never get tired of hearing "that was sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!".

So I might beat it again at a harder difficulty, maybe, or something. Steam sale starts in two days, and I might buy Spec Ops: The Line.

Ledsen

Can't say I've been tempted at all by recent sales. I feel... Calm. Like I was in a race, and am now sitting by the roadside enjoying the sun. Since I'm not buying any new games, I don't feel forced to play the ones I have unless I really feel like it. Currently greatly enjoying Planescape Torment :)

jono51

Banned
Hmm, got a free copy of The Bard's Tale from the Wastleland 2 kickstarter. Don't think I'll count it as a must play now since I never intended to get it. I'll probably play it at some point though since it seems like its good.

NinjaBoiX

I would do this challenge, but I'm so close to finishing my current gen collection!

I only need AC3, Far Cry 3, Hitman/Ratchet/ZOE/Killzone HD, Bio Infinite, Gears Judgement, Virtues Last Reward, LBP Vita, AC3L, Persona 4,The last of us and GoW Ascension.

Then my collection is complete.

Until a load of other games I'm not aware of get announced.

But yeah, I'll stop after ive bought all those. Honestly.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm, got a free copy of The Bard's Tale from the Wastleland 2 kickstarter. Don't think I'll count it as a must play now since I never intended to get it. I'll probably play it at some point though since it seems like its good.
NO YOU LOST THE GAME THANK BRIAN FARGO FOR THAT

jono51

Banned
NO YOU LOST THE GAME THANK BRIAN FARGO FOR THAT

I hate kickstarter

w1csE.png

zkylon

zkylewd
The real challenge starts now guys. Brace your wallets.

PS: I bought FTL yesterday, no regrets, the game's awesome.

I held up strong until now but with all the sales going on at retail and online, especially the sales on Xbox Live and the STEAM ones that just started, not sure how long I can hold on.

It is like I haven't masturbated off for a long time and that pressure is mounting up, fuck this shit.

Ledsen

Just stay strong you guys. Or reward yourself with one game to play immediately. Personally nothing has tempted me. I've been through too many steam sales to let this one do me in. I've seen too many empty wallets, too many filled-up libraries. I've seen it all, and nothing can touch me.

zkylon

zkylewd
I held up strong until now but with all the sales going on at retail and online, especially the sales on Xbox Live and the STEAM ones that just started, not sure how long I can hold on.

It is like I haven't masturbated off for a long time and that pressure is mounting up, fuck this shit.
Are you saying masturbating will make my consumerism go away?

Ok! Here we go...

Spierek

Week 7:
Games bought - 1
Games finished - 4
Backlog - still loads.
Now playing - Radiant Historia, Jamestown

Finally finished Army of Two with my flatmate; despite some interesting game mechanics (Back2Back, Aggro) it was surprisingly bland, and the plot was total bullshit. Even some cool scenes like the freighter escape couldn't overturn that mediocrity. Oh, and I've almost managed to finish Jamestown, got busted two times on the final boss. The game's quite good, though the X360 controller support is a bit lackluster.

Katzii

I cry at the idea of 80 games being loads.

On the upside, I only have 401 games to complete now! Update tomorrow.

Week 3 Summary: December 24th 2012 (didn't get home in time to post yesterday, whoops! But it's written for the 23rd)

MY BACKLOGGERY

Completed games: 1
Games started: 1 (tentatively)
New games purchased: 0
Total spent on games since 01/12/2012: £15.71

As mentioned before, it's a pretty busy time for me up until the New Year. One thing I did manage to do was to finally brush up the last few Challenge Stars in Skylanders Giants on the 3DS, so asides from finding a few missing hats, I'm pretty much done with the game until I want/have time to go back to it.

I "tentatively" started Lomax as well (I got to the fourth level), but I don't want to say I have for sure since I'm certain Christmas is probably going to bring more games my way and it could get brushed by the wayside.

Speaking of, Christmas Eve will be spent attempting to complete the entirety of Christmas Lemmings (1993 version) on my trusty old Amiga. I do have the rarer, harder to come by Christmas Lemmings '94, but it lacks festive music! So I'm going to work through the earlier one and maybe sweep up the rest of the levels that '94 brings post-Christmas.

Ledsen

So since this challenge started 1,5 months ago, I've bought two games: Syndicate and Far Cry 3. I finished the first and stopped playing the latter. Now, I bought Scribblenauts Unlimited on the Amazon sale... I'm rationalizing it because I mainly bought it for my gf to try. I still feel guilty though, so I think I'll have to play it right now :p

edit: wtf it's not out in Europe? I can't play it? You're kidding me...

edit2: wait, it's still installing and it seems to be available in the store... that's weird. well, we'll see.

RpgN

I got 2 new minis games thanks to Sony gifting them and gaffers giving them away. Been playing them both, they probably won't affect the backlog too much. Also been playing tons of Xenogears, great and complex RPG this one is.

Edit:

So that's 6 games in a month and half around Christmas time, 4 gifted and 2 bought.

Top Bottom