• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Neogaf Poetry Corner - Challenge#31: At Gunpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Neutrality said:
I feel the same way.
I'd suspect most of us due.

Yep. I could stand to do some actual research on the terminology and poem types. I'm just crit'n as it comes to me atm.

I have a question, how many of you work on your poems during the week?
For me it's just a spur of the moment thing.
I've never been able to really sit down and write.

iavi

I'll write a quick draft down as an idea hits me, usually towards the beginning of the challenge, and will then edit as the week goes on. I'll even edit after posting, which is you might've noticed that some of my entries will slowly morph as the week goes on, sometimes dramatically. I do it that way intentionally.

It's so much easier to realize what's wrong with your writing after giving it a bit of breathing room.

iavi

Minutes to vote!

t1312786800z4.png

Ashes

Banned
@ ThLunarian - Almost comical in routine, with a hurried pace. I kinda liked it. It sort of stuttered a bit, and needed an injection of imagery to actually tell us something.

@Dresden - satirical poetry done very well. Some fine character assassination going on there. Started off very well, but sort of dropped off towards the end. And yet, I liked the whole construction of it - the story if you will.

@Miri - Some nice pen-work here. Blue roses not existing naturally, thus making it a holy grail for rose growers, made the poem for me. Although, I would have gone for the other non-natural colour, the black rose, my self.

ps. Something about guns and roses (or any flower really) that make it a good combination.

@Soultron - I like the way you unravelled the story; and it's a core a powerful piece. Some word choices here or there go evoke more empathy. Human vs person. Human increases the social distance, making it almost machine like. If that was the vibe you were going for, good for you though.

@SoccerGoaliePro - You got a vote! Woot!

@Bootaaay - Moody, and a little bit stylish. I liked that you used weather to put a metaphor in it's place. Paper thin masks take that! Whereas it was also a part of the overall mood of the poem. The word choices are always something to behold, and it was not let down here; the only thing I see here though is a scene being shown; an explicit dream, but surely there must be something implicit, no? I tried to read into it though.

@Amirox - I generally like constrained poems, and alliteratives are no exception to that rule. Almost tongue twisting, in the way it was put together, makes it a fun read. However, it goes on, and adds an implicit layer, which makes it a good poem to teach children, about meaning and depth in poetry. "Late lessons long lasting, liars learning." Could mean a few things; I thought of politicians? Good stuff.

@Neutrality - Suicidal poems aren't my thing. I'm not against them on principal or ethics, as I've written some myself (I think about a king who looks over his people), but I find my self unable to shake off a feeling of false disclosure. You can get through despondent poetry without making such a harsh statement I feel. And the parts where you do this, are the best parts. e.g

"Famous is a word best left to kings
Not a man with a pen whom nobody reads"

is, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with it, much better than the entirety of the last stanza put together.

ps. I don't know who theo baldwin is...

Sorry about the ineligible entries; I'm already late as it is, with my crits. I hope you all had some decent crits already.

Some nice poems this week:

1. Amirox
2. Dresden
3. Bootaaay

hm, to be honest, the one point in the third position, could have gone to anybody else, Miri, Neutrality or Soultron would get the nod on a different morning. I didn't want to toss a coin, so I went with my gut instinct. The bar was at a decent height this week.

never read this thread until five minutes ago, but got inspired to do some broetry. i'll keep an eye out for the next one.

Ode to Box

Box of X you have
never worked quite.

I plugged you in
despite the warning
sign.

Apollyon danced his circles thrice -

Box of X,
no more delight.

iavi

[Vote Tally]

Alright! I'm up, and the votes have been tallied. It's good to say that the winner of this week's poetry challenge is none other than Ashes1396, with an awesome entry that garnered him 11 points. Congrats!

---

The tally went as follows:

Ashes1396 = 11 (2)
Amir0x = 10 (2)
Neutrality = 9
Dresden = 8 (2)
Bootaaay = 7 (2)
Miri = 6 (1)
SoccerGoaliePro = 2
Soultron = 1

-------

A big thanks to everyone who participated, and voted. I love how varied the entries and crits were. Welcome to all the new faces. And congrats again, Ashes. The torch is passed.

Also Bootaaay, if you wouldn't mind, could you draw up the new templates. I have no idea how to.

Ashes

Banned
Cheers everyone... Where to take the thread now....? hmm..

Thanks bootaaay for the template. Three posts now amigo?

Ashes

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Yeah, the archive is too large for the word limit now o_O

It seems like only yesterday, when everything used to fit in a single post... How far we have come eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom