• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Dell Venue 8 Pro 2016 - Anybody buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Everybody favorite 8' windows is back and updated but hella lot more expensive but I guess thats what you pay for better specs.

The 2013 Dell Venue 8 Pro was one of the first 8 inch Windows 8.1 tablets to feature digital pen support. It was priced at $299 and up, but over the past few years Dell has offered models for as little as $199.

Now Dell is giving its 8 inch tablet a major overhaul… and charging about twice as much money. The new Dell Venue 8 Pro (64GB) is now available for $399 and up, and features twice the memory and storage, a full HD display, a more powerful processor, and a Thunderbolt 3/USB Type-C port.

The Dell website suggests the starting price is $449, but that’s how much you’ll pay for a model with Windows 10 Pro. You can save $50 by opting for Windows 10 Home when customizing your order. Note that in both cases, you get the 64-bit version of Windows, which is a bump from the 32-bit software that came with the older model.

Other improved specs include:

1920 x 1200 pixel display (up from 1280 x 800)
Intel Atom z5-Z8500 processor (up from Atom Z3740)
4GB RAM (up from 2GB)
64GB of storage (up from 32GB)
NFC support

Other features include 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, 5MP rear and 2MP front cameras, and a 19.5 Whr battery.

If you’re looking for a cheaper option, Dell also offers models with 2GB of RAM, 1280 x 800 pixel displays, and 32GB to 64GB of storage for $299 and up.

Optional accessories include keyboards, docking stations, and active pens, but none of those are included in the base price of the tablet.

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/dells...faster-higher-res-and-twice-as-expensive.html

Dell's website
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/dell-venue-8-pro-5855-tablet/pd

v8_01depgl.jpg

v8_05pyru5.jpg

v8_045noe0.jpg

Seems too expensive for me to buy right now despite the 4gb RAM. I'll probably wait it out.

Treo360

I'm all about the Miracast after having used it in the last few weeks, but at 449 we're near surface 3 territory aren't we?

Fake edit: surface 3 only has 2gb of ram at the 499 price.

jwk94

So what exactly is a Thunderbolt 3 port and how does it relate to type C? Can you have one without the other?

So what exactly is a Thunderbolt 3 port and how does it relate to type C? Can you have one without the other?

USB Type C is type of a connector and Thunderbolt is controller chip. You can certainly have one without the other. Not all USB-C has Thunderbolt controller and thus the bandwidth.

jwk94

USB Type C is type of a connector and Thunderbolt is controller chip. You can certainly have one without the other. Not all USB-C has Thunderbolt controller and thus the bandwidth.

The master returns. I thought this was a thread by you at first. So Thunderbolt 3 makes it better? I want to get a Type-C laptop later this year and I wasn't sure if I should specifically look for something that had a Thunderbolt 3 port.

iGeodude

I'm definitely keeping an eye out on this thing. I've been looking for a fast, powerful and compact Windows tablet to replace my Nexus 7 2013.

btrboyev

They couldn't be bothered to fix the aspect ratio? Can video out be done on the usb-c? It costs the same as a Surface 3

The master returns. I thought this was a thread by you at first. So Thunderbolt 3 makes it better? I want to get a Type-C laptop later this year and I wasn't sure if I should specifically look for something that had a Thunderbolt 3 port.

I'm going to concentrate on either brand new model of Tablets or bargain sales. This is a refresh of existing model with updated parts. Unfortiunately the pricing is terrible IMO.

As for USB-C, I think the plan by most ODMs are to marry USB-C with Thunderbolt controller. Would be rather pointless you offer it with only USB 3.0 controller. You could keep it to existing USB-A connector for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom