• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Despicable Me trailer has an Eminem song in it and I feel old.

Alphahawk

I was at the doctor's office yesterday and they had a tv playing various shows and clips and one of them was the trailer for Despicable Me 3 (.Link) and it features a song by Eminem, it's not a new one either it's from 2010 so it's not like he wrote a watered down song for it or anything. Despicable Me 2, also, if I remembere correctly, used "Without Me" from 2002 in it's marketing. This just to me seems like a total sign of the times thing, I remember back in 2002 Eminem was downright dangerous, and a kids movie would never even think of using his song in the trailer, but now apparently it's per the course.

Just interesting I thought.

Despicable Me has always had a hip hop songs in it, mainly because of Pharrel Williams association with it. Not really sure if it's a sign of the times but hey it could be.

Weetrick

Haha, I totally understand you OP. Like you said, his music was considered dangerous at the time. When the Slim Shady LP came out in 1999, I was 13 and it was some of the most offensive music I'd ever heard. I loved it. My parents definitely had no clue what was on that album.

Obviously Descicable Me isn't going to use the lyrics referencing drugs, murder or rape, but it's still weird to see in the promotional material.

Haha, I totally understand you OP. Like you said, his music was considered dangerous at the time. When the Slim Shady LP came out in 1999, I was 13 and it was some of the most offensive music I'd ever heard. I loved it. My parents definitely had no clue what was on that album.

Obviously Descicable Me isn't going to use the lyrics referencing drugs, murder or rape, but it's still weird to see in the promotional material.

Yeah, I find it very weird. I realize that this isn't at all a new thing in marketing for children's stuff. It seems like the sort of thing that would go away immediately the moment a fuss was made but (surprisingly) no one has yet (at least not that I'm really aware of).

Alphahawk

Yeah, I find it very weird. I realize that this isn't at all a new thing in marketing for children's stuff. It seems like the sort of thing that would go away immediately the moment a fuss was made but (surprisingly) no one has yet (at least not that I'm really aware of).

It's because we're far enough away from the controversy that people literally don't care. It's similar to The Simpsons in the respect, in the early seasons coverage of it was about how controversial it was, but now it's essentially a comedy all-ages show.

Top Bottom