• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Gen Thread of Look at the Pretty Particle Effects (pics inside)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Random next gen particle effect pics from GAF/Google. Feel free to post more!! :p

original.jpg

i1tsiPxANDaJN.gif

original.gif

Battlefield-4-Fishing-in-Baku-screen-4.jpg

tumblr_mikrjoGwhO1s5i4foo3_500.gif

BF4_2_copy.bmp.jpg

kzsf720a.gif

Titanfall1.jpg

Destiny-screenshot-0.jpg

Nibel

Waaaay too much particles in Killer Instinct for my tastes

Titanfall screenshot is the most compressed shit I've ever seen :lol there are more artifacts than particles in that screen

I like particles though - can wait for some nice next-gen fire and fluid effects

Derrick01

Banned
Killer Instinct really overdoes it but I guess they have to since besides particles it doesn't really look like a next gen game.

I'd say Infamous gets it just right with what they've shown anyway. It looks really impressive but it doesn't completely overdo it and shower everything in the area with it.

RoKKeR

Not sure if this counts but Quantum Break could be really cool if gameplay ends up looking something like this:

9467385668_3e1ac8a2d0_o.gif

Zomba13

I fucking LOVE pretty particle effects. Can't wait for every next gen game to have really nice looking particle effects. I want sparks and embers and pretty blue magic sparkles and a billion little cubes everywhere.

Zomba13

Anyone got some FFXV gifs or pics? That's got some sweet particle effects especially from Noctis teleporting about.

Particle effects are the visual effect I'm looking forward to the most next gen. Glad we're getting rid of flat textures and the like.

panda21

Not sure who to believe, neogaf member panda21 or the lead programmer at house marque.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun

I already saw this in the resogun thread, that guy is using the term voxels incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel

basically in the old days the only way to render voxels was to use some kind of raycasting. this is quite computationally intensive if you want to render anything that doesn't look horribly blocky, so it has quite often been used along with raytracing in realtime demos of graphics hardware (larrabee and stuff maybe?) because people immediately recognise it as something that takes a lot of processing power.

but this has led to a lot of people misappropriating the term because of its association with high power/cutting edge computer graphics and using it to describe things that are rendered as polygonal cubes, but not based on a grid. Minecraft is an example of something that, whilst it doesnt use a raycasting method to render the world (it draws polygons), the map could be said to be made up of voxels since they are cubes on a grid.

The player characters in minecraft however are NOT voxels. they are made up of polygonal cubes/rectangles, but these aren't aligned with any kind of grid. If they were voxels they would be able to rotate in the way that they do.

I'm pretty sure notch has admitted that minecraft isnt really voxels despite everyone thinking that it is

Top Bottom