• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Gen Thread of Look at the Pretty Particle Effects (pics inside)

Don't forget this bad boy.

image_308674_full.jpg

1371178393_enemies_burst_into_flames_after_being_hit_with_the_refined_igni_sign_which_leaves_a_good_opening_for_geralt_s_killing_blow.jpg.jpg

Delicious particles

MarkusRJR

I have a feeling particle effects are going to be the "thing" devs pile on early on this generation, just like how bloom was the "thing" last generation.

george_us

Particle effects are pretty much the only "next gen" feature that I'll never get tired of. Lens flare, bloom, shiny normal maps, etc. got old real quick but I could stare at a shitload of particle effects all day.

Majmun

That Infamous gif with the flyuing dude.

The pop-up in the background is pretty bad. Sucke Punch better fix that.

Amir0x

Banned
That Infamous gif with the flyuing dude.

The pop-up in the background is pretty bad. Sucke Punch better fix that.

i'm sure they will improve it, it's from a seriously early build for a game that won't be out until February :)

wapplew

Other than glorious particles, Colors are back too!
I guess that's one good thing for Epic next gen absent.
/Jk

Is Killer Instinct a firework simulator?

This is clearly something that couldn't have been done in actual gen but this also clearly something that cost a lot to develop and will add so little to most games...

Chû Totoro;80489933 said:
Is Killer Instinct a firework simulator?

This is clearly something that couldn't have been done in actual gen but this also clearly something that cost a lot to develop and will add so little to most games...

The Fantavision sequel we deserve.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Knack's body disintegrating and reassembling isn't really an example of particle effects, it's a physics simulation of the actual polygonal parts that make him up. That's different from a particle system. The same can be said about Reogun, I think. The levels are actually made up of lots of tiny cubes, which then fly all over the place when shit blows up. They are not particles being generated by anything, if my understanding is correct. Looks cool as hell though!

Vitor711

KI manages to impress more and more with each showing. There was a gif doing the rounds where the storm in the background kicks up - looked incredible.

Shame it's only 720p though. Was really bummed out when I discovered that. I mean, it look nice, but not THAT nice to need such a huge compromise on resolution, especially when games like Ryse and Killzone are native 1080.

apana

Does this count from Battlefield 4?

battlefield_4_4.jpg

I like it when these particle effects are used for something real: gases, explosions, fire, lights, etc. I don't like it when they feel added on and overused.

Top Bottom