• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next time you're driving in the snow...

chadboban

I spent the first five years of my life in Ontario, Canada. My parents worked at the Trinidadian embassy and my mom and dad conceived and gave birth to me during their stay. I don't remember much of my time there since I was so young, but the experiences that are still with me despite my age at the time were during the wonderful winters. I still remember lying in the snow and making snow angels, throwing a snow ball at my big sister only to have five more fly back in my direction and my dad pulling be through the snow on a tiny sled and never stopping no matter how many times I asked to go again :)

It was amazing and I loved every minute of being in the snow. However the time for my parents stay there eventually ended and we had to fly back to Trinidad in 1995. It's been 19 years and all I've known since then has been either blazing sun or torrential rains. Nothing like fall, winter or spring in the Caribbean, all we have are the dry and rainy seasons :( Snow tends to cross my mind every now and then but this year something happened, something that made me yearn to experience snow again more than anything and that was this thread! You guys may recognize the OP ;).
One song in particular was posted and that was Seashore War (We called it "Chilly Coast" at the time since we didn't have the names of the levels). And man this song hit me harder than probably any winter/ice theme in any game, scratch that, in ANYTHING ever has PERIOD. I actually started tearing up a bit as I remembered those winters I spent with my dad and my sister and I just wanted more than anything else in that moment , to experience winter again. This is the feeling I get whenever I hear that song and if you check my post history, you may see that in every single music thread I post in, I never fail to mention it. It's such a powerful piece to me and I'll forever be grateful to David Wise for creating it.

TLDR: Seashore War gives me major feels man!

Neiteio

I spent the first five years of my life in Ontario, Canada. My parents worked at the Trinidadian embassy and my mom and dad conceived and gave birth to me during their stay. I don't remember much of my time there since I was so young, but the experiences that are still with me despite my age at the time were during the wonderful winters. I still remember lying in the snow and making snow angels, throwing a snow ball at my big sister only to have five more fly back in my direction and my dad pulling be through the snow on a tiny sled and never stopping no matter how many times I asked to go again :)

It was amazing and I loved every minute of being in the snow. However the time for my parents stay there eventually ended and we had to fly back to Trinidad in 1995. It's been 19 years and all I've known since then has been either blazing sun or torrential rains. Nothing like fall, winter or spring in the Caribbean, all we have are the dry and rainy seasons :( Snow tends to cross my mind every now and then but this year something happened, something that made me yearn to experience snow again more than anything and that was this thread! You guys may recognize the OP ;).
One song in particular was posted and that was Seashore War (We called it "Chilly Coast" at the time since we didn't have the names of the levels). And man this song hit me harder than probably any winter/ice theme in any game, scratch that, in ANYTHING ever has PERIOD. I actually started tearing up a bit as I remembered those winters I spent with my dad and my sister and I just wanted more than anything else in that moment , to experience winter again. This is the feeling I get whenever I hear that song and if you check my post history, you may see that in every single music thread I post in, I never fail to mention it. It's such a powerful piece to me and I'll forever be grateful to David Wise for creating it.

That's an amazing story, Chad. :)

If it's any comfort, there are no shortage of people in the Midwest who would love to live where you are and have warm weather all year 'round. Yeah, winter is magical as a child -- and I still find it magical as a child-at-heart -- but it's also a bit of a burden for the average working, commuting adult.

So I wouldn't lament too much. And the world is pretty flat nowadays. You may very well find opportunity to travel back to snowier climes!

Liberty4all

Banned
Wow the music sounds great. I was going to pass on DKC mainly because I didn't enjoy the series on previous Nintendo consoles (my younger brother was a DKC fanatic). Dat music though.

E92 M3

I was hoping you were going to say "the next time you are driving in snow, pull up the handbrake to do a power slide."

image.php

Liberty4all

Banned

chadboban I live in Ontario.

Here's a picture I took yesterday ... ironically I took it for my parents to show them what they were escaping as they flew out to Miami to go on a Caribbean cruise. I know it's nothing special but it's life in Toronto.

phanphare

Banned
Wow the music sounds great. I was going to pass on DKC mainly because I didn't enjoy the series on previous Nintendo consoles (my younger brother was a DKC fanatic). Dat music though.

do you like platformers?

if you answered "yes" please run, don't walk, to your nearest Wii U and play DKC: Tropical Freeze. a Pro Controller is highly recommended.

Neiteio

Speaking of pictures of snow, I took HD video of the blizzard outside my apartment earlier today, using my Samsung Galaxy S5, but I'm not sure how to transfer it to my PC. I'm guessing there are two-way USB cables for this, right? Gmail uploads max out at 25MB and this 96MB, so I can't email it to myself.

Back on topic, I think Dave Wise is one of the few celebrities (yes he's a celebrity) who I would be nervous to meet. Man made the soundtrack of my childhood.

Liberty4all

Banned
do you like platformers?

if you answered "yes" please run, don't walk, to your nearest Wii U and play DKC: Tropical Freeze. a Pro Controller is highly recommended.

I do. 2D Platformers are what I grew up on but I always seemd to prefer 2D Mario to DKC. I have a Pro Controller though and the music sounds so good I might have to give this a try after all.

Neiteio

I do. 2D Platformers are what I grew up on but I always seemd to prefer 2D Mario to DKC. I have a Pro Controller though and the music sounds so good I might have to give this a try after all.
It's worth noting you may like Tropical Freeze a lot more than the originals since the levels are much more dynamic and detailed, and Donkey Kong himself feels like a legit 800-pound gorilla. A perfect combination of power, speed and precision.

chadboban

That's an amazing story, Chad. :)

If it's any comfort, there are no shortage of people in the Midwest who would love to live where you are and have warm weather all year 'round. Yeah, winter is magical as a child -- and I still find it magical as a child-at-heart -- but it's also a bit of a burden for the average working, commuting adult.

So I wouldn't lament too much. And the world is pretty flat nowadays. You may very well find opportunity to travel back to snowier climes!

Thanks man, and don't get me wrong, I fucking love my country. Nothing beats a weekend at Las Cuevas bay for me, my uncle even owns a beach house up there so it's really convenient . I just sometimes yearn for a change of scenery and it's been so long since I've experienced winter. I definitely have plans to visit DC if not next year, the year after, and will likely be staying with relatives. I can't wait!

And hey if you ever need a place to warm up from the winter, you're always welcome in Trinidad bro :)

chadboban

chadboban I live in Ontario.

Here's a picture I took yesterday ... ironically I took it for my parents to show them what they were escaping as they flew out to Miami to go on a Caribbean cruise. I know it's nothing special but it's life in Toronto.

Yeah, I know winter can be harsh, I guess I just latch on to those fond memories I have with my dad and sis. Like I said in my other post, I guess it's mostly for a change of scenery. I just want I nice winter though, I don't want to visit a place in the middle of a blizzard. lol

Btw, I hope your parents enjoy themselves and the warm weather. Is Trinidad a destination on their cruise?

haha man I totally feel it. I haven't played the game or listened to any of this music yet, but I live in northeast Ohio right on Lake Erie so I get a ton of snow....... and you're right on with this.
Cleveland repping. I'd listen if I ever drove. Maybe when I'm walking around campus/downtown.

chadboban

Man, I could use a tropical vacation. Might have to consider that!

The place in the picture you linked is stunningly beautiful. O_O

Isn't it? And the bay really long too, perfect for a morning jog. Here's a pic I took myself during my last visit there, the weather was PERFECT. Will only link to it cause I don't wanna take away from your winter thread ;)

Zabuza

Banned
I've got a nice little playlist coming along of the best Winter-themed VGM. Still a work in progress but there's some great stuff in there, give it a look:

Winter VGM Playlist

Perfect for a winter drive or a night in, watching the snowfall from inside.

Liberty4all

Banned
Yeah, I know winter can be harsh, I guess I just latch on to those fond memories I have with my dad and sis. Like I said in my other post, I guess it's mostly for a change of scenery. I just want I nice winter though, I don't want to visit a place in the middle of a blizzard. lol

Btw, I hope your parents enjoy themselves and the warm weather. Is Trinidad a destination on their cruise?

They are on a Norwegian cruise ... 11 Nights Southern Caribbean I'm SUPER jealous!

El Odio

Banned
The snow land songs from Kirby's Epic Yarn remain my favorite winter tracks. Cozy Cabin especially puts me in a holiday mood. It makes me think of spending the holidays with family hanging out inside while it snows outside.

Neiteio

Isn't it? And the bay really long too, perfect for a morning jog. Here's a pic I took myself during my last visit there, the weather was PERFECT. Will only link to it cause I don't wanna take away from your winter thread ;)
Those skies are so blue. I want a new Pilotwings set in Trinidad. :-O

The snow land songs from Kirby's Epic Yarn remain my favorite winter tracks. Cozy Cabin especially puts me in a holiday mood. It makes me think of spending the holidays with family hanging out inside while it snows outside.
Cozy Cabin was such a great level. :-D

phanphare

Banned

oh man, do it. the controls might feel weird at first but just get to know them. DK's a big motherfucker, ya know.

Liberty4all

Banned
Wow, looking at those locations, I'm jealous myself. I mean Aruba, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Curacao. DAYUM!

It's been like -17 C with windchill in Toronto since the start of the week so I was really happy for them to escape south, especially getting to go to some really exotic ports. Despite my jealousy for my parents thoguh I have to admit though that Seashore War song really does do a great job of capturing the essence of the beauty of winter.

Liberty4all

Banned
oh man, do it. the controls might feel weird at first but just get to know them. DK's a big motherfucker, ya know.

I'll definately check it out. I'm drowning in Nintendo titles right now (just bought the WiiU last week with Mario 3D, Mario Karts, and getting Smash tomorrow). Plus playing Smite on PC, and CoD on the PS4. SO MUCH TO PLAY.

Neiteio

I'll definately check it out. I'm drowning in Nintendo titles right now (just bought the WiiU last week with Mario 3D, Mario Karts, and getting Smash tomorrow). Plus playing Smite on PC, and CoD on the PS4. SO MUCH TO PLAY.
Sounds like you're doing with WiiU what I'm going to do with PS4, buying the system when it has lots of games I want to play and then being overwhelmed by them all at once, lol

Liberty4all

Banned
Sounds like you're doing with WiiU what I'm going to do with PS4, buying the system when it has lots of games I want to play and then being overwhelmed by them all at once, lol

LOL yeap.

Last year I had all 3 consoles and I swore I wouldn't do that again as it was overkill. This year I was just going to stick with the PS4 but the hype around Smash won me over. That and a crazy one day 20X the loyalty points event at Shoppers Drug Mart (buy Wii U for 299 get back 170 dollars worth of points in store credit).

I was sick of hearing my younger brother gush over Mario Karts whenever I went over and I'll admit I missed Nintendo properties ... I grew up on the NES/SNES.

So here I am again with such an abundance of goodness. I sit all day at work wondering what I'm going to play. Ironically I end up playing nothing, posting on GAF all night. CURSES!

Neiteio

LOL yeap.

Last year I had all 3 consoles and I swore I wouldn't do that again as it was overkill. This year I was just going to stick with the PS4 but the hype around Smash won me over. That and a crazy one day 20X the loyalty points event at Shoppers Drug Mart (buy Wii U for 299 get back 170 dollars worth of points in store credit).

I was sick of hearing my younger brother gush over Mario Karts whenever I went over and I'll admit I missed Nintendo properties ... I grew up on the NES/SNES.

So here I am again with such an abundance of goodness. I sit all day at work wondering what I'm going to play. Ironically I end up playing nothing, posting on GAF all night. CURSES!
GAF is the best game of all! The dialogue trees go in all kinds of crazy directions. ;-)

I need to get back to Tropical Freeze :( I never finished it. I was getting gold medals as I went an really loving it but the underwater world was testing my patience.

This music though. Ridiculous. It just feels good to listen to. Its not just audibly pleasant, it feels good.

HardRojo

Pretty sure this thread was created in response to Tropical Freeze OST not being nominated for OST of the year. I should have gotten a nomination at least :/ Transistor might take it, my vote goes for it since TF is not there.

Neiteio

Pretty sure this thread was created in response to Tropical Freeze OST not being nominated for OST of the year. I should have gotten a nomination at least :/ Transistor might take it, my vote goes for it since TF is not there.
While that influenced me, I honestly was thinking about making this thread the other day while driving around listening to the music. The awards snub just accelerated my plans. :-D

Top Bottom