• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 was originally released 20 years ago today

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I also liked Shadows of the Empire, but it's strange to call it your favorite because you listed it right next to superior Star Wars games.

It's probably the weakest of the 4, but it had a much bigger impact than any of them. As far as first impressions/experiences with the N64 go, I'd say it's right after Mario 64.

Playing the Hoth battle for the first time is up there with my all time great gaming memories, and I'm fairly certain I am not the only one. I got goosebumps when I heard the SotE theme playing in Battlefront.

kunonabi

I also liked Shadows of the Empire, but it's strange to call it your favorite because you listed it right next to superior Star Wars games.

Admittedly I love episode 1 racer almost as much. Rogue Squadron just gets a bit tiring going for medals and there were never enough space battles for my taste.

Shadows of the Empire was a game I was super hyped for from the jump. I used to watch that segment on that VHS promotional tape over and over. I spent an incredible amount of time with that game from getting all the challenge markers and beating it on Jedi to replaying the hoth and skyhook stages just to pull off stunts and flying around to doing blaster and cinematic camera playthoughs. I just loved messing around in that game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Wow. I was 16 when this thing came out.

I ever owned one, because then I had defected to PlayStation land, and couldn't afford multiple consoles back then. I really wanted one, because I had played Super Mario 64 in a Target, but yeah, couldn't afford it. To be fair, I didn't get a PlayStation either until I finally landed my first job at 18.

Sonic turned 25, and the Nintendo 64 turned 20. Jesus Christ.

TAS

Such a legendary system. I'll never forget the first time I saw Mario 64 running on screen. My mind was completely blown and to this day nothing has been able to reproduce that feeling in a video game. Then there was the multiplayer marathons in Goldeneye. Damn those were good times!

djlr181

Forgive me for bumping this thread, but it seems appropriate since the Nintendo 64 was released 20 years ago today in North America.

While the official release date for the system is September 29th, many retailers began selling the system with Nintendo's approval on September 26th after KB Toys broke the street date.

Cool Kotaku article from today.

Nice read. Focused on what the console did than what it didn't do, that is, it ultimately paved the way for 3D games as a whole in every generation after, and it also cultivated the Xbox audience before the Xbox by being the console that made shooters a viable genre on that format.

As Rockstar's Dan Houser said in a GTA V interview:

Dan Houser said:
Anyone who makes 3D games who says they've not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda on the Nintendo 64 is lying."

Hnetuduft

To this day nothing has topped the feeling when playing Super Mario 64 and Star Wars for the first time.

Do you think there's a chance those games will be available on NX VC?

When I was in my mid-20s and between jobs (as in broke), my bro asked me if I wanted a PSX or an N64 for Christmas 1998. As I wasn't keen on racing and fighting games (which is mostly what I'd seen on PSX to that date) and was a fan of Mario and Zelda, and of course, busting to play Goldneye, I went with the 64. I chose well.

Years later when I borrowed a PSX and played through MGS, Crash and Spyro games (all of which I enjoyed), I still felt I had played the better games of that gen on N64.

So yeah, SM64, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Rogue Squadron, Duke Nukem 64, Perfect Dark, Rayman 2 were all gaming experiences I remember fondly.

Worst game I played on the system
South Park FPS or Turok 2

I'd taken a little break from gaming during my final year of Uni. Upon getting a job, I happened upon a TV display in an Electronics Shop window playing SM64. I immediately went in and bought the console. I was dumbfounded by how amazing it looked. Amazing game and an amazing console. I miss the glory days of Second Party Rare - the combination of their games and Nintendo's was fucking unbelievable in terms of quality.

Laws00

Good system, not a great one.

I mean I had mario 64 and played that game to death

I didn't get a new game which was mario kart 64 till my birthday in 1997. I decided to get Street Fighter Alpha 2 for SNES.........lol

Lazaro

I was so obsessed with the N64 as a kid. Good times. Better times.

Sadly the poster that came with console hasn't exactly stayed intact, it's held by blutack nowadays :p
image.php
[/url][/IMG]

Sapiens

Seeing Mario 64 for the first time in the summer of 96 was mind-blowing. Mind. Blowing. It was seeing the future. Even after playing everything 3D the saturn/ps1 had to offer in the last year.

And then a whole lot of nothing until Zeruda.*

*nothing came close to Mario64 on that system - sorry , nothing.

Sakujou

Banned
was the first console launch which i actively followed. i was 8 years and it blew my mind to see 3d controlled with an analogue stick.

before i just saw the nes, the md and the snes (havent heard back then from sega saturn or the psx, my parents only gave the official nintendo magazine which were free in toy shops)
so until i was 10 i never heard or learned about the other systems.

unbelievable times and it was so great if one kid got a new game... we gathered at his house to see the glory shit out of the new game.

and the rare infos about videogames... man

I didn't get an N64 until after the release of Goldeneye, which was the game that convinced me that I really wanted an N64. I realized that Goldeneye hasn't aged well, but the original single player campaign was still a joy for me to play back in the day. I do remember playing the N64 at kiosks during its launch and being blown away by Mario 64, but the game library beyond that was pretty terrible for the first year of the Systems release. I was still more interested in playing PC games as well as my Sega Saturn.

The launch window for the N64 was just rough. With so few third party games paced between the large first party releases. But overall, I still enjoyed the console and its game library.

Ammogeddon

Happy 20th N64, my favourite ever console. Such good memories playing it with my friends. God damn some of those games were expensive though.

I found a GameShark code that makes Mario 64 16:9. It's great. I'm hoping to find or create GameShark codes to remove inverted controls and undo the stretched HUD that occurs in 16:9.

Rezae

I firmly jumped into Sony's camp when PS1 launched after growing up with the NES and SNES as primary consoles, but playing Mario 64 for the first time will always be the ultimate gaming moment of my life. From playing the Atari 2600 to moving Mario in a 3d environment on my TV ... mind blowing and will never be matched.

Neiteio

I remember the feeling of just seeing the box for the N64 console itself. Those renders still bring back nostalgia.

NKMKbDh.jpg

xtdvhq2.jpg

N64 renders scratch my nostalgia itch like no other

tumblr_mzih1yXvlm1r28k5co1_400.png

tumblr_nwntm18wTG1tu022ro2_500.jpg

latest

scene2.jpg

Nostalgiaaaaaaaaa

You know how we have this glut of indie games all doing the 8-bit pixel aesthetic? Where are the indie games that faithfully recreate the late-'90s CGI look of N64 promo renders?!

BDGAME

Wow, 20 years already. One thing I can say for sure is that the N64 has the best offline multiplayer ever!

That machine give me some of the most fun games moments in my life, thanks for the amazing multiplayer games, back these days.

Everyone talked about goldeneye, what is truly fun. But I played Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey without a break for days with my friends.

More than that, I can forget the afternoon we star the 50 rounds mode of Mario Party and that match end only at night. We are so tired, but we have so much fun!

Other big success is International Super Star soccer 64. so many hours in that.

After I brought the expansion pack, play Gauntlet Lefends with four players was such a joy.

And of course, the fighting game I have the most fun ever, the amazing Smash Bros. Everyone was sceptical about that game, after the failure of Sonic Figth, but they are so wrong...

Is there a Mario kart with a best battle mode than Mario Kart 64? I bet everyone that played a N64 spend lots of fun time with it.

I can't forgot about NBA Hang Time. The previous NBA game on Snes and Mega are good, but a 4 player match on N64 was priceless!

Other thing I can forgot. That is thanks to Mario Golf 64 that I start to love golf games. That game is such amazing.

That machine have another miracle, wacky games like Mario kart that are really good games. One of the best I can think is Beetle adventure Racing. That game was really pretty and very fun, back these days.

Another good game of that style was Snowboard Kids. That game is pure fun.

When I have less gests in my house, I spend hours playing Wave Racer 64 and 1080 snowboarding. Both these games look so realistic back there. Wave Racer give me thirst with its beautiful water and 1080 was the first time I remember seeing cloth moving in a game. It was impressive.

Yes, the N64 was a special machine for everyone that can bring their friends for a game play. I can say that I'm have more fun with the multiplayer on N64 than with any online game ever. That machine was amazing and I love any seconds I have it.

Toxi

Banned
I owned a PS1 as my first home console (Crash Bandicoot Warped was my drug), and I often make fun of the N64's numerous flaws like that awkward controller. I'm super biased against it.

But damn, when the games hit, they hit hard. Outside of playing the amazing multiplayer of Goldeneye and Smash 64 with friends, I didn't enjoy most of he best games until years later, but they've held up. Mario 64 is a creative landmark that deserves every bit of praise it gets, Banjo Kazooie is bursting with life and character, Diddy Kong Racing is fantastic, Ocarina of Time is super impressive for Zelda's first 3D game even if I'm not a huge Zelda fan... But I'd say Majora's Mask is really my favorite game on the system. It's amazing how with so little development time and so many reused assets we ended up with such a wonderful little oddball like that.

Also gotta give Rare a hand; while I loathe Donkey Kong 64, they were pumping out games like mad, and seriously pushed the limits of the system with Conker's Bad Fur Day. It's a shame they only made one game for the GameCube before being sold off.

AntMurda

The N64 was a great system. It really can't be appreciated accurately without understanding all the intangibles it provided at the time. It had so many exclusive sleeper games that I still cherish. Snowboard Kids!

kswiston

The US release happened just as I was starting high school. However, I bought a PS1 around that same time, and didn't actually own the system myself until the mid 2000s (when everything was still cheap).

I had access to a Nintendo 64 on occasion before then, so I did get to play some of the games when they were still current. Mario 64 was probably my favourite of those. Amazing game at the time.

Saganator

I was 12 years old. I was so ridiculously hyped for the N64. I simply HAD to have it. My friend got it on release with Mario 64 and Pilotwings, I remember him calling me freaking out over how amazing Mario and Pilotwings were and sent my hype through the roof. When I played Mario 64 for the first time I thought we reached the pinnacle of gaming.

N64 ended up being the console my friends and I would play for hours on end on the weekends and summers. Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong, Snowboard Kids, Smash Brothers, Starfox, San Francisco Rush, and Mario Party... endless hours of fun. Best part was all that fun was had in the same room with each other.

kswiston

they'll do it. nostalgia is WAY too strong for N64.

they just need to figure out the behind the scenes stuff with goldeneye.

Based on the NES Classic Mini, they will just stick to games that have already been released on virtual console.

Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and the two Zeldas are already enough to sell a retro system. I doubt any effort will be put into securing additional licenses.

spookyfish

Wow. 20 years -- still one of my favorite consoles. I played it more than my Saturn or PlayStation.

I would kill for Doom 64 on Virtual Console, but ... that would require work, so Nintendo won't do it.

Colombo

Wow those 20 years sure felt like they went quickly! I remember first laying eyes on SM64 which even impressed my dad at the time. I ended up importing the console from Japan and had it much earlier than my fellow Aussies! It's still the greatest local multiplayer system ever in my opinion and I've never had a console since that got played by my friends as much!

DirtyLarry

So if the US release date was actually yesterday, this means it was 20 years ago where I went to my friends house around noon and spent the entire day watching him play Mario 64. He fell asleep about 2 AM and I asked him if I could start a game with my own save.

At around 7:30 AM his father was leaving for work, looked at me and just laughed (his dad was a cool old school computer guy, played DOOM on his PC, etc.) so I kept playing. My friend woke up around 11 AM and immediately kicked me off.

It was at that point in time the hustle began. I wound up selling a bunch of my shit, including a guitar and some records. The records were some hardcore/punk rock records and I am still friends with the guy who purchased them from me. 1 of the records on it's own goes for approximately $500 these days as it is super hard to find. I think I sold it to him for $15 at the time.

At around 8 PM that same day I got home and set up my own N64 that I purchased from KB Toys. I wound up playing until about 9 AM the next day until I passed out from exhaustion. It was one of the few times I stayed up over a full day and it was all because of Mario 64.

It is why I recently posted Mario 64 in a thread about the time when you knew you were playing when of the GOAT games.

neoemonk

The N64 was the first console that came out after I became an adult. I was a freshman in college when it came out, and my RA in my dorm got one at launch. I was way too poor to afford one, and got to see Mario 64 in his room and thought it was amazing.

This is an embarrassing story, but my senior year in high school I sold my SNES and games because I was going off to college and thought I had to grow up now so I had to stop playing video games. Of course a lot of people got the N64 or brought their PlayStations up to school so I did end up playing a lot of video games as a freshman, but I wouldn't get another Nintendo console until the Game Boy Advance.

dlauv

Started the death knell for Nintendo with third parties.

I really loved my N64. I even got a picture at Sears as a kid with a "64" in the background because my grandma thought it was cute and I used to play Mario 64 non-stop at the kiosks. Kind of cringe looking back but lol. But it wasn't until I got my Playstation that I realized how limited I was with one.

Still, Goldeneye multiplayer, San Francisco Rush (in first-person mode, doing stunts), Mortal Kombat 4, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, and Ocarina of Time were really really good memories.

I was born in '89 and got it in '97, I believe. I remember playing No Mercy even in high school with a PS2 handy. So fun.

kswiston

This is an embarrassing story, but my senior year in high school I sold my SNES and games because I was going off to college and thought I had to grow up now so I had to stop playing video games. Of course a lot of people got the N64 or brought their PlayStations up to school so I did end up playing a lot of video games as a freshman, but I wouldn't get another Nintendo console until the Game Boy Advance.

I actually did something similar when I started college at the end of the PS1/N64 generation. I sold the bulk of my PS1 and SNES JRPG collections, figuring that I didn't have time for games anymore. I held onto my systems, but it was quite expensive to replace some of those PS1 games when I decided to do so 7-8 years later. Some I will never replace (I had a complete copy of Chrono Trigger with mint condition inserts/manual, and a near mint condition cart/box).

This is probably my favorite of all Nintendo Consoles only next to the original Gameboy.

The first time I saw it was actually before the US release over in Saudi Arabia. Some store had the Japanese version and I remember being in awe of the trees and how Anti-aliasing looked.

Toys R Us in the US was actually demoing the N64 and PSOne a bit before the US release and I would go between classes to play the demo.

I remember getting that call from my friend at Electronic Boutique that I could come get my N64 early because someone broke the street date. I will never forget getting that magical box of joy home with my copy of Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings and just being amazed.

To this day, I still love my N64. I'm actually playing through Mario 64 again just as a coincidence, but man, those memories will never fade.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up, those feels...

Peltz

I am playing through Paper Mario for the first time on my N64. I'm also playing Majora's Mask on my N3DS.

Going through these games really illustrates to me that this system really had games with so many innovative ideas. Due to the early nature of 3D and analogue controls back then, along with the 3-prong controller, nearly every single game feels like a unique and quirky experiment in an exciting way that most modern games lack.

The 3D spaces are small and contained, and each game almost had a diarama or puppet-show type feel because the graphics were still so crude back then. This only adds to the charm and somehow makes the games feel more immersive, rather than less immersive.

Nintendo's camera work during cutscenes was also very on-point even back then. They have aged far better than the cgi-style film sequences on competing consoles from that era. Even though the graphics are rather crude, there are ideas within these games are surprisingly modern.

Specifically, despite technological limitations regarding polygon count, texture detail, framerate, and animation quality, Nintendo still managed to create games that have tons of very charming characters and generate a warm resonance within each of their game worlds.

The timelessness of the charm in these games despite all the limitations that are easy to spot in hindsight sort of does prove their point that the strength of the hardware can't dictate the quality of the experience.

Nintendo games manage to spark the imagination no matter what constraints the hardware seems to impose on them. And playing the N64 today really does drive that point home.

Running around hopping, bopping, flipping and yahoo-ing outside the castle in Mario 64 for like 2 hours before I actually started a level. One of my most unforgettable gaming experiences....

This was maybe the first time in my life I was hyped for a new release; Nintendo's promotional VHS really worked on my 9 or 10 year old self. We didn't have the money to get one for quite awhile after it came out, but I remember constantly going over to friends' houses for sleepovers, where we would play Mario 64 all night. When we finally got an N64 (my dad got a better job and we were about to move, I think he felt guilty about ripping me away from my friends) I got Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire. The crazy thing is in Mario 64 I had just as much fun beating all of those levels that I'd already beaten so many times. It was such a magical game, truly one of the GOAT. I cherish all the happy memories I have with friends and my brother playing that game.

Celine

N64 was also the pinnacle of Midway, which was America top arcade maker, in the home console business.
San Francisco Rush, Rush 2 (still exclusive to N64), 2049, Cruis'n World (console version still exclusive to N64), Mortal Kombat 4, Mace The dark age (console version still exclusive to N64), NFL Blitz, Gauntlet Legends, Hydro Thunder, Ready 2 Rumble, World Driver Championship (best graphics on N64 and a good racing game in itself), Doom 64 (the real Doom 3), WipeOut 64, Micro Machines 64 (multiplayer drug), Body Harvest (the grandaddy of GTAIII).

nkarafo

Running around hopping, bopping, flipping and yahoo-ing outside the castle in Mario 64 for like 2 hours before I actually started a level.
This is actually a testament to how amazing the controls are in this game. They are so natural and easy to perform but at the same time they let you do crazy acrobatics if you practice them enough. You never feel like you lose control of Mario and every mistake is 100% your mistake. There aren't many 3D games that feel so right IMO. Unfortunately, recent 3D Mario games simplified/dumbed down the controls so now you don't have the same freedom nor they feel as good.

Plus, i don't remember many games where i just enjoy running around doing nothing in particular. Except maybe early genesis Sonic games that also had nice feel and physics.

alf717

I remember the feeling of just seeing the box for the N64 console itself. Those renders still bring back nostalgia.

NKMKbDh.jpg

xtdvhq2.jpg

The fun machine indeed. Had to go check my box out when I saw this. My brother rented one for us at Blockbuster and I remember have so much fun with it. I didn't want to return it when it was time to take it back. I love flying around the levels of Pilot Wings at night. Man those thoughts just bring back so many memories and the with that great soundtrack .

My parents didn't get me one because of the costs, so now I'm thankful for the Virtual Console. Not just because I can play games I missed out on, but because I find that there aren't many N64 games that I wanted outside of Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, OoT, and the Pokemon Stadiums.

Top Bottom