• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The number of PC digital storefronts/launchers is getting out of hand

MUnited83

For you.
And it's great that they are doing this. Why should Valve get free money? I hope that more publishers will abandon Steam in the future.
How is that "great"? It's literally worse for the consumer. And the 30% aren't "free money". Hell, in fact, Steam is where the 30% gives the absolute most functionalities for any publisher. And they could even sell steam keys themselves and keep 100% of the money.

phant0m

I just open the one I want when I want.

That’s cool, until you have to spend 20 minutes before you can play updating the client then the game if you don’t keep them all open all the time.

Happened to my group in GR: Wildlands at least twice, someone hadn’t opened uplay for awhile so when we all sat down we had to wait like 40 minutes for him to download and install a 2.3 GB patch

City 17

You dont even need to install Gog Galaxy.. It really doesnt deserve a mention here.
Currently you have to install GOG Galaxy for Gwent, though you can get it through windows store too (and maybe Steam down the line, when the final version comes out), but all in all it seems that CDP is going to continue the same strategy with supporting multiple stores.

It's also more expensive thanks to paid online multiplayer, it's a closed platform and you're at the mercy of Sony when it comes to customer service, backwards compatibility and those servers remaining up. Not to mention it's not a standard practice to allow graphical settings on the Playstation so even if they do release a backwards compatible PS5, Bloodborne is almost certainly going to be stuck at the same 1080p/30fps it was seven years and one console generation prior.

If you purchase grey market keys sure.
But the wealth of options both retail and online can make console just as inexpensive. Not to mention physical games retaining some value even after they have been played.

On the topic of the launchers themselves, I don't mind them too much. A couple of extra steps is not a huge deal, sure managing passwords is a chore. But it's a small chore.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Personally, this is such an insignificant "problem" that it didn't even register with me. I don't have to be a paid member to any of the platforms, so I just click the icon and play the game. I could see this being an issue if it was similar to TV/Streaming platforms and such you have to pay to watch, but...

Sorry OP. =/

This. First world problems :)

That is why I play console... It's simple.

8WrTT3h.jpg

It's simply without options ;)

Nezacant

I never understood this argument. People complain if everything is in one place because then it's a monopoly. If there's competition, then people complain that there are too many store fronts and game managers. ffs people. This really isn't that hard to manage. Use your brain. And don't use the "Aww my friends are segregated" bs either. Use something like discord then and get them in one place. Your options are endless.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I dunno, I just click on the exe and then start the game.
It's not like I have to physically move around or anything. It's just a click more or less.

Gamegeneral

I agree that the way it's implemented is bad. If I used all these storefronts the way they wanted me to, I'd have five or six running constantly in the background and I'd probably crash all the dang time.

ezodagrom

I never understood this argument. People complain if everything is in one place because then it's a monopoly. If there's competition, then people complain that there are too many store fronts and game managers. ffs people. This really isn't that hard to manage. Use your brain. And don't use the "Aww my friends are segregated" bs either. Use something like discord then and get them in one place. Your options are endless.
The people that complain about "monopoly" (Steam isn't one to begin with) are not the same that would rather have everything in one place.

ezodagrom

Competition is good.
Except that it's not really competition.
What advantage are you getting by buying a game on Origin over Steam? You aren't getting one, because there isn't any. Origin, Battle.net, etc. aren't competing with Steam, they're just adding a layer of inconvenience by removing the choice of buying the game on your preferred platform.

Competition only exists when the same games are sold across all launchers, providing motivation to compete on price and features. Instead we have a bunch of clients that are objectively inferior to Steam and GOG that provide zero benefit to anyone but the corporations that run them.

Archanfel

I mean I get that running multiple launchers is annoying but honestly if I was a massive company and I could recoup 30% of the profits by selling on my own storefront I would. The trick is you have to be like EA where you're so ingrained in the mainstream consciousness that it will work out profitably for you otherwise just publish it everywhere and take the 30% loss to reach a wider audience.

Budi

I don't know about that. I have Steam and Battle.net open up at launch, because I use those for the social functions and not just simply for gaming. I like to be available at all times, or even when I'm not home I get to see the messages later. I have bad experiences with messages being delivered while the recipient is offline. Uplay only boots up when I launch Ubisoft game from Steam. I have nothing else in GOG than Gwent that I played earlier, hoping for Steam release on that. And isn't the greatness of GOG supposed to be that those games don't require any launchers. Bethesda launcher isn't mandatory for any games to my knowledge and EA has very little to offer so I never had Origin. I do kinda get the frustration though, since I also prefer to have all of my games in one place. Which would be Steam, it has the biggest library of games and way more features I like to use than any of these other platforms. But I do feel that the issue is a bit exaggerated. Booting up another launcher is very minor inconvenience. It's better than changing discs as mentioned, that's for sure.

Voidwolf

It's just a handful of programs, it's really not that hard. And this way we have more sales to choose from. I just keep Steam and Origin running for the most part as that's where most of the games I play are. Whenever I'm gonna play some Overwatch I fire up Battlenet. That'll be happening a lot more often once Destiny 2 is released.

That's cool, until you have to spend 20 minutes before you can play updating the client then the game if you don't keep them all open all the time.

Happened to my group in GR: Wildlands at least twice, someone hadn't opened uplay for awhile so when we all sat down we had to wait like 40 minutes for him to download and install a 2.3 GB patch
That's not really the launcher's fault though? People should keep their programs updated, especially if they're gonna play games on it eventually. Granted, Uplay is hot garbage so it's probably not used much unless you guys play Wildlands or any other MP game often.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Except that it's not really competition.

It is competition.

Objectively inferior is a ridiculous notion. While I might not like some of the practices of Uplay and Origin, I can say they had great customer service that even surprised me.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
To have true competition you should want every game to appear on every service, whether that game is from EA, Ubisoft, Valve, Blizzard, etc. That way stores would actually have to compete on features, services, and price. Instead we are just getting a series of walled gardens that you have to use if you want to play that publisher's games.

So far you haven't commented on Valve putting their games on other platforms yet you want Battle.net to put their games on Steam.

I know you weren't responding to me, but I absolutely would love for Valve to put their games on other services. Let the companies truly compete for is providing the best service.

I agree with the OP. However, I only use regularly two of all those lauchers: Steam and GOG.

For Origin games (mainly Mass Effects or Dragon Ages) I prefer consoles, because the client is awful and promp to fail in some way with the DLCs and 4K compatibility. And I only use uPlay because the client gets launched everytime I start a Ubisoft game. The other ones (Battle.net, etc.), are unknown to me or so seldomly used that I just forget they exists...

It is competition.

Objectively inferior is a ridiculous notion. While I might not like some of the practices of Uplay and Origin, I can say they had great customer service that even surprised me.

How are they competing? Origin and Steam by and large aren't selling the same products.

Origin is a mostly functional piece of software that doesn't really do anything but launch EA games. It's hard to imagine that many people would use it over Steam or GOG if they had a choice.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You don't know how good you've got it when you've got choice and automatic updates.
Do you remember having to find patches for games, on 3rd party websites, that started from the version you had on CD/DVD and then you had to run them all one by one to go from 1.01 to 1.01a, then 1.01a to 1.02235 then 1.02235 to .36, oh my fucking god did it get annoying.

Yep, and then it got a bit better and you could go to one of a few consolidated download sites and wait in a download queue, because at least you knew they had the right file if your download actually completed.

Darn kids don't know how good they have it. Back in MY day...

Duxxy3

Money grabbing publishers. Valve included.

edit: Oh, and if you want to play league of legends - that's another damn launcher.

That's one reason why I dont enjoy gaming on PC, it's all those clients from various storefronts. Just way to many and everyone wants to have their own.

I know this is minor, but still, just a turn off.

ezodagrom

So far you haven't commented on Valve putting their games on other platforms yet you want Battle.net to put their games on Steam.
Valve has games? :D

Joking aside, I think Ubisoft has the better approach when it comes to games that have their own launchers, Ubisoft releases their games on Steam and sometimes even on Origin while running the games with Uplay.

I just want an API that consolidates everything. All this "competition" has done is forced me to own games across four or five different services at this point and if I'm doing the, "hey, i wanna play a game, what should I install?" I need to go in and out of five goddamn storefronts to see the complete library of games I own.

Generally this leads to me just browsing my steam library, which is hands down the biggest, and not even opening Origin, Uplay, GoG etc.

Woo-Fu

Banned
In theory I'd agree, but given how lame Steam interface still is, I don't feel like competition in virtual stores has driven much progress.

That might be because you're cherry-picking. Steam has a ton of features/capability today it didn't have way back when.

In my case I don't care how many launchers there are, I can still click on a game icon and have that game come up regardless of what launcher it is on. Shows how good we have it as PC gamers that people are sweating having more than one launcher.

Competition is good.

Also, this:

Competition is good when they mean more options for you, but less so when they just force you one way for a game you want.

I use Steam, GOG and Humble myself. But I'm still not sure what good the existence of uPlay and Origin has been for us.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Palabragrís;252265388 said:
I agree with the OP. However, I only use regularly two of all those lauchers: Steam and GOG.

For Origin games (mainly Mass Effects or Dragon Ages) I prefer consoles, because the client is awful and promp to fail in some way with the DLCs and 4K compatibility. And I only use uPlay because the client gets launched everytime I start a Ubisoft game. The other ones (Battle.net, etc.), are unknown to me or so seldomly used that I just forget they exists...

How the client fails in 4k with DLC? And ME and DA can run at 4k on in which consoles?

leburn98

I just leave them all open in my system tray, they barely use any resources when running as it is.

This. I always have to have a laugh at the hyperbole thrown at clients that are not Steam. If your computer can't handle a few launchers nesting in your system tray then maybe it's time to upgrade from that Windows XP rig of yours :).

Regarding the store fronts: Honestly, apart from the Windows store, I can't think of a single issue I've had with any of the digital store fronts, whether that be Steam, Origin, GOG, Uplay, etc. I simply keep Steam as my main catalog, and add all the others into it. I'm slowly transitioning it over to Launchbox though.

How the client fails in 4k with DLC? And ME and DA can run at 4k on in which consoles?

Sorry, bad redaction on my end. What I mean is: 1) the Origin client tends to present problems when installing certain DLC (e.g. the Dragon Age II DLC I had to manually uncompress it and install each archive one by one following a tutorial I found online for it to work. With the vanilla installation, there was no background sounds and all character models spoke without moving their mouths, a-la PS1 era).

2) The Origin client doesn't support 4K resolutions properly. If your are using a 4K resolution on Windows 10 (haven't tried other OSs), the client looks very tiny, with very liny letters and icons and everything. It's just not confortable to use (unless you get VERY close to the 4KTV you use as a monitor to read whatever Origin is trying to tell you).

And no, on consoles no game will work 4K60fps as they (possibly) could on PC, but speaking solely on Origin games, I prefer the 1080p30fps experience on consoles, knowing that my games will work.

Other clients? No problem there. Not even with uPlay.

cireza

That is why I play console... It's simple.

8WrTT3h.jpg
I don't understand how we came to such interfaces. What's the point of having everything in an infinite line, and wasting all the space available on screen ? Where is our common sense ? That's beyond me.

I would say that the issue with all the clients just is the fact that you do have to run even your singleplayer games through a client, with a server depency (when you're not getting DRM free downloads). For me that has caused problems with Origin, that I don't use that often, and when I do it's almost always an update ready, that most times clear my saved credentials. That just leads me to playing the games on that client less often, then what I would done if I had them on Steam or GOG.

Kayant

And it's great that they are doing this. Why should Valve get free money? I hope that more publishers will abandon Steam in the future.
As it's been said it's not "free" money and they pay the same thing and more fees on console so really they are doing just because they can and it potentially gets them more money along as it covers the running cost of the service.

ezodagrom

I would say that the issue with all the clients just is the fact that you do have to run even your singleplayer games through a client, with a server depency (when you're not getting DRM free downloads). For me that has caused problems with Origin, that I don't use that often, and when I do it's almost always an update ready, that most times clear my saved credentials. That just leads me to playing the games on that client less often, then what I would done if I had them on Steam or GOG.
Yeah, it's pretty annoying how, unlike Steam and Uplay, Origin often clears the credentials.

At least I haven't been interested in EA's releases, so I don't really have to use Origin anyway.

Sulik2

Is anyone working on a free app that basically just takes all your logins for these different services and gives you one UI to use? That would actually be super helpful.

I don't understand how we came to such interfaces. What's the point of having everything in an infinite line, and wasting all the space available on screen ? Where is our common sense ? That's beyond me.

The death of proper information density in UIs in the last five years is my single biggest gripe across all software right now. It's an awful awful design trend that harms usability.

Top Bottom