• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

Squirrel Killer said:
That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask about a telephoto lens for my DSLR.

I've been looking at this for a while now, especially after a local photo place advertised it for ~$160. Now that's dirt-"WARNING: THIS IS A PIECE OF CRAP"-cheap for 75-300mm, and even though it doesn't have the best reviews, I wonder if it might be "good enough" for what I want. Basically, I just want something for my personal use of some amateur outdoor sports, just something long enough to get relatively close up on a big field. f/4 qualifies as "slow glass", but since I'm going to be shooting outside, is f/4 really all that slow? I'm pretty meticulous about and take pretty good care of my gear, so I'm not too concerned about build quality, but obviously if I'm shooting sports, I can't always treat it with kid gloves.

Any thoughts?

It's not a great lens, but for something comparable that is "good," you would probably be paying like 4x that price. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, without image stabilization of any sort, a tripod would be a *must* when using that thing much beyond the base of 75mm.

EDIT: I want to start playing with camera filters. Any suggestions. I'm a canon boy.

mrkgoo

White Man said:
It's not a great lens, but for something comparable that is "good," you would probably be paying like 4x that price. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, without image stabilization of any sort, a tripod would be a *must* when using that thing much beyond the base of 75mm.

EDIT: I want to start playing with camera filters. Any suggestions. I'm a canon boy.

Just to follow, you won't need image stabilization if you keep the shutter high enough - the general rule, though it varied person-to-person depending on the steadiness of their hands, is keep the shutter value 1/focal length at the most. That is, if you're using a 300mm lens, with an equivalent FOC of 480mm on a 1.6x crop sensor, if you keep your shutter at 1/480s or faster, you should be alright, which is easily achievable for daylight sports.

White man - polarizers, my man! Suposedly stick with multicoated filters, of good brands, or you'll get some image degradation and/or flare artifacts.

thirty

Banned
i wouldn't worry about the F31/30 in bright light settings either. it's got easy manual aperture settings which will limit the amount of direct light going into the lens.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
thirty said:
i wouldn't worry about the F31/30 in bright light settings either. it's got easy manual aperture settings which will limit the amount of direct light going into the lens.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna be going with the F31. It also appears to have another automatic ISO setting (800, where as the F30 only has 400 and 1600), so that's definitely a plus. I've been seeing some really nice sample shots with the F30/31's.

demon

andrewfee said:
The "purple glowing" is caused by the image being shot with the aperture wide open. The F40 does seem to have better optics, but if you actually have a good look, the extra 2MP means that there is a significant increase in noise (and hence noise reduction) causing you to lose part of the main advantage of these Fuji cameras.

ISO400 on the F31fd looks better/has more detail than ISO200 did on the F40 (same applies to all sensitivity ranges) and its maximum ISO is 3200 whereas the F40 is capped at 2000.

On the plus side, the F40 is a lot smaller and takes SD cards, but that also means the battery life is halved. If they had left the 6mp sensor in there (or put in an improved 6mp sensor) I'd be buying one next month when they're released, but it would be a downgrade for me.
Is the F40 really that much smaller? Teh internets says the F40 is 3.8 x 2.3 x 0.9in while the F30 is 3.6 x 2.2 x 1.1, and both 155grams w/o accessories. Not that it's that important, but the original reason for me looking for a new camera (before I discovered the awesome low-light abilities of the S30 :D) was size.

demon

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to get one of those really thin cameras, but when it comes down to half an inch or so I'm not going to start sacrificing large amounts of quality and features. As long as it fits in my pocket, I'm cool.

fart

Savant
mrkgoo said:
Just keep in mind, if you are serious about SLR photography, the body is nearly the least of your equipment - when you get a an SLR system, you are buying into the entire lens system - the lenses you will keep forever, but the body you will upgrade. Which is one reason I went canon - for the huge extensive lens range. Also, I wanted available light photography, and I'm a stickler for low noise, and I understood that the canon CMOS sensor were meant to be awesoem in that regard. I'm happy with my 350D (Rebel XT), but it's the lenses that keep me buying more. I will probably upgrade to whatever the successor to the 30D is, though, but even until then I'm happy with my equipment.
On that note, I wasted some time today sitting in electronics stores dicking around with cameras, and I was really disappointed with the grip on the rebel xti. So, I think the Canons are out of the running for the most part. I can't get over how great the D40 feels, or how much the lens selection/AF system/lack of IS seem to be limiting.

Anyways, Pentax/Nikon lens ranges, yay or nay? Nikon seems to have a smaller number of world-class lenses that are both expensive and shockingly good (the 18-200mm VR seems monocle popping), whereas Pentax seems to have a larger number of cheaper, and creatively designed lenses which no one seems to talk about.

Also, some trivia: my mom bought into digital relatively early. The first camera I ever used extensively was the first digital sony mavica (wikipedia tells me it was the FD5) in high school. We used to pass it around (like herpes) at school during theater productions, and I had to carry a stack of floppies in my backpack for when we filled one up or it crapped out on us. Good times!

mrkgoo

fart said:
On that note, I wasted some time today sitting in electronics stores dicking around with cameras, and I was really disappointed with the grip on the rebel xti. So, I think the Canons are out of the running for the most part. I can't get over how great the D40 feels, or how much the lens selection/AF system/lack of IS seem to be limiting.

Anyways, Pentax/Nikon lens ranges, yay or nay? Nikon seems to have a smaller number of world-class lenses that are both expensive and shockingly good (the 18-200mm VR seems monocle popping), whereas Pentax seems to have a larger number of cheaper, and creatively designed lenses which no one seems to talk about.

Also, some trivia: my mom bought into digital relatively early. The first camera I ever used extensively was the first digital sony mavica (wikipedia tells me it was the FD5) in high school. We used to pass it around (like herpes) at school during theater productions, and I had to carry a stack of floppies in my backpack for when we filled one up or it crapped out on us. Good times!

Is the REbel too small? There is also teh battery grip...but I like the rebel for being kinda small - I have small hands. Having said that, I want a bigger camera, just because sometimes the size of the rebel doesn't feel entirely right with my lenses.

But it's a small niggle.

I hear the 18-200VR was a VERY popular Nikon lens. If the quality really is awesome, with VR...that zoom range can't be beat!

fart

Savant
mrkgoo said:
Is the REbel too small? There is also teh battery grip...but I like the rebel for being kinda small - I have small hands. Having said that, I want a bigger camera, just because sometimes the size of the rebel doesn't feel entirely right with my lenses.

But it's a small niggle.

I hear the 18-200VR was a VERY popular Nikon lens. If the quality really is awesome, with VR...that zoom range can't be beat!
I also have small, fey, computer hands. What bugged me though is, and bear with me for a second, how the grip seems to jut out from the camera without anything for the knuckles to contact. I guess it's hard to explain. Ironically, I like the rebel XT grip more than the XTi. Purely in terms of grip, the the D80 felt fantastic (but heavy, of course). I'm beginning to see what the reviewers mean when they're concerned that the dSLRs are getting too small.

mrkgoo

fart said:
I also have small, fey, computer hands. What bugged me though is, and bear with me for a second, how the grip seems to jut out from the camera without anything for the knuckles to contact. I guess it's hard to explain. Ironically, I like the rebel XT grip more than the XTi. Purely in terms of grip, the the D80 felt fantastic (but heavy, of course). I'm beginning to see what the reviewers mean when they're concerned that the dSLRs are getting too small.

Haha, I had to look up 'fey' -yay, new word!

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what you meant by the grip - I have no idea about the Xti - I always assumed it was the same shape as the Xt (or 350D, which I have).

demon

This may not be entirely relevant to "camera equipment", but it's my thread so piss off! Anyhoo, once I get my Finepix F31, I'm going to want to get into photoshop retouching and maybe some manipulation as well. I've got a copy of Photoshop 7.0 on my laptop that I never use (in fact I forgot that I had it until yesterday), so I want to take advantage of it. I'm new to photoshop btw.

What are some good photoshop plugins to have for photo retouching? Stuff like noise reduction (which I'll definitely want for higher ISO shots on the F31), fringe reduction, other stuff, an HDR plugin since that looks cool, etc. I'd prefer not to pay a whole lot for plugins.....free is preferable.

Speaking of HDR, I'm definitely going to want to try that out. How easy is it with the Finepix F3x? I know it's more of a post-process thing, but you need to be able to take multiple pictures of the exact same scene under different exposures, right? How easy is that to do with the F3x? Is there some way to easily take multiple shots at different exposures, or do you basically need a tripod and to take each picture/change the settings individually?

fart

Savant
I am attempting to describe the bit of the camera the right hand holds onto. I reserve the right to be entirely crazy -- it's altogether possible that the XT and XTi are the same shape.

mrkgoo

demon said:
This may not be entirely relevant to "camera equipment", but it's my thread so piss off! Anyhoo, once I get my Finepix F31, I'm going to want to get into photoshop retouching and maybe some manipulation as well. I've got a copy of photoshop on my laptop that I never use (in fact I forgot that I had it until yesterday), so I want to take advantage of it. I'm new to photoshop btw.

What are some good photoshop plugins to have for photo retouching? Stuff like noise reduction (which I'll definitely want for higher ISO shots on the F31), fringe reduction, other stuff, an HDR plugin since that looks cool, etc. I'd prefer not to pay a whole lot for plugins.....free is preferable.

Speaking of HDR, I'm definitely going to want to try that out. How easy is it with the Finepix F3x? I know it's more of a post-process thing, but you need to be able to take multiple pictures of the exact same scene under different exposures, right? How easy is that to do with the F3x? Is there some way to easily take multiple shots at different exposures, or do you basically need a tripod and to take each picture/change the settings individually?

Tripod is the best way to go. That way you can adjust the shutterspeed, which in my mind, seems the most appropriate way to go about getting various exposures (Aperture and Iso actually alter your images in other ways). I assume most decent cameras have a way of doing some kind of exposure bracketing which would take multiple pictures at various exposures.

painey

im going to new york in may and i am going to get a new digi cam but no idea what one to get, i just know its gotta have a long battery life, optical zoom and not be too big because i want to carry it about my person in america. I got no idea how many megapixels i need either.. i just know if possible i want to take pics in 1600x.... res.

mrkgoo

painey said:
im going to new york in may and i am going to get a new digi cam but no idea what one to get, i just know its gotta have a long battery life, optical zoom and not be too big because i want to carry it about my person in america. I got no idea how many megapixels i need either.. i just know if possible i want to take pics in 1600x.... res.

I find 5-6 MP to be a sweet spot for most uses (in that even they are quite large, but slightly larger than necessary is best). Most modern digicams have this covered.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, are there any good kit lenses for the D80? jr.com has 2, one with the 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 for a little over 1,200, and the other has the 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, for around 1,100.

Anything on those two? Or any good deals on the D80? The XTi is bargained out the wazoo, but I can't seem to find anything too far below the MSRP for the D80.

I was gonna go with a 50mm f/1.8D for sure, and wanted at least 1 more for now, without breaking the bank. Not sure if either of those are any good, or if I should look elsewhere.

GONZO

This thread actually got me interested in upgrading my digital camera. My previous point and shoot digi-cam served me well. It was a kodak v570 but I wanted something with a little bit more control. I started looking into digital slr's but I don't think i'm quite ready to carry that kind of equipment around. And the general consensus is that you could have the best camera in the world but if your not willing to carry it with you cause it's too bulky then there's no point. So with that in mind I decided to go with a Canon powershot G7. Holy Crap this camera is incredible. The amount of control given is awesome. I little later today I'll post some test shots i took with it the first hour i had the camera.The fit and finish of it is really nice as well. Holding the camera it feels nice and thick with a good amount of weight to it. I can't recommend this camera enough. truly awesome.

canonG7_frontback.jpg

Sukahii16

I shoot with black and white film and polaroids. I have a Canon AE-1 Program with various lenses and three Polaroid SX-70 cameras.

dasein

GONZO said:
This thread actually got me interested in upgrading my digital camera. My previous point and shoot digi-cam served me well. It was a kodak v570 but I wanted something with a little bit more control. I started looking into digital slr's but I don't think i'm quite ready to carry that kind of equipment around. And the general consensus is that you could have the best camera in the world but if your not willing to carry it with you cause it's too bulky then there's no point. So with that in mind I decided to go with a Canon powershot G7. Holy Crap this camera is incredible. The amount of control given is awesome. I little later today I'll post some test shots i took with it the first hour i had the camera.The fit and finish of it is really nice as well. Holding the camera it feels nice and thick with a good amount of weight to it. I can't recommend this camera enough. truly awesome.

Oh yes. The G7 totally rawks. However, it's a bit pwicey!

GONZO

Yeah it was a bit expensive but i managed to get a really good deal from a local shop. This is why I love this camera though. I know it's a sucky ass pic but for the camera to do something like this totally untweaked i can only imagine what will happen when I actually learn to shoot.

IMG_0146.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't think this is a thread to simply name what your equipment is.

SnakeXs

I still can't settle on a second lens with my near future D80 buy.

I'm getting the f1.8 50mm for sure, but I'd like to have a good all around zoom, too.

The 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and 18-135 are both in the running, especially since you can get them kitted with the D80, but (not that it's unexpected) both of their performances at the extremes (especially wide) aren't that hot, which sucks since I'd like some good, wide open ability.

Any other ideas?

i have a digital rebel xt with the kit lens, and i want to get a new lens, either a wide angle of some sort of a telephoto...i don't really know too much about camera parts or lenses though, this xt is my first slr, so i've never had to deal with anything about lenses.

SnakeXs

bggrthnjsus said:
i have a digital rebel xt with the kit lens, and i want to get a new lens, either a wide angle of some sort of a telephoto...i don't really know too much about camera parts or lenses though, this xt is my first slr, so i've never had to deal with anything about lenses.

Well, you gotta decide what you're gonna do with the lens first. What do you shoot most often? Or feel that you don't shoot because of your current lens?

mr.beers

Dice said:
I don't think this is a thread to simply name what your equipment is.

Im showing my equipment and if someone comes in here wanting to know about a super zoom camera or the S3 IS specifically then they will know who to ask.

SnakeXs said:
Well, you gotta decide what you're gonna do with the lens first. What do you shoot most often? Or feel that you don't shoot because of your current lens?
i want something that can shoot both closeups of stuff and middle to longer distances, so i'm thinking about some sort of telephoto

SnakeXs

bggrthnjsus said:
i want something that can shoot both closeups of stuff and middle to longer distances, so i'm thinking about some sort of telephoto

What's your price range?

SnakeXs said:
What's your price range?
eh, that varies, at the moment i'd say around ~$200-400, but that's subject to increase or decrease. i'm probably looking to spend around $300, but i would spend more for superior products.

SnakeXs

bggrthnjsus said:
eh, that varies, at the moment i'd say around ~$200-400, but that's subject to increase or decrease. i'm probably looking to spend around $300, but i would spend more for superior products.

Canon's 24-85mm f3.5 - 4.5 USM might be worth checking out. Good enough range for every day shooting, long enough for what you're looking for, wide enough for extra versatility, in your price range.

Dkong

How does a Canon EOS 10D compare to their recent dSLR's? I noticed I can get used bodies without a lens fairly cheap.

fart

Savant
SnakeXs said:
I still can't settle on a second lens with my near future D80 buy.

I'm getting the f1.8 50mm for sure, but I'd like to have a good all around zoom, too.

The 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and 18-135 are both in the running, especially since you can get them kitted with the D80, but (not that it's unexpected) both of their performances at the extremes (especially wide) aren't that hot, which sucks since I'd like some good, wide open ability.

Any other ideas?
neither ken rockwell nor thom hogan (the two big web nikon guys as far as i can tell) like the 18-135 much. ken loves the 18-55 (because it's cheap), and thom hates it (because it's cheap). both dig the 18-200 VR, although it is pricey. it seems like for the most part if you're not willing to spend 1k$+ per lens, nikon wants you to either buy an 18-55 and pair it with the 55-200 VR (cheap, light) or get an 18-200 VR at about 2x the cost.

SnakeXs

fart said:
neither ken rockwell nor thom hogan (the two big web nikon guys as far as i can tell) like the 18-135 much. ken loves the 18-55 (because it's cheap), and thom hates it (because it's cheap). both dig the 18-200 VR, although it is pricey. it seems like for the most part if you're not willing to spend 1k$+ per lens, nikon wants you to either buy an 18-55 and pair it with the 55-200 VR (cheap, light) or get an 18-200 VR at about 2x the cost.

Yeah, I had since run into their impressions since, and FM review didn't list either.

I'm sorta leaning towards the 50m f1.8, and possibly the 24-85 f3.5-4.5 AF-S. I'll go try it out, but for every day city shooting this may keep me covered for a while. Wonkiness of the latter's extremes won't be too much of an issue, and it looks to be the best compromise of everything I'm looking for.

Now to just decide where to order. I may just walk into B&H with a fist full of dollars and see what I can haggle out of them. :lol

Thanks again. :D

Here's the scenario, I have a telescope bought from a German grocery store. Inexpensive and full of plastic parts, but with acceptable optics (better description here)
Now I feel the urge to attach an image capturing device, not only for creepy pictures of neighbors but for celestial objects of all sorts. Am I correct in my assumption that I need a system camera for this? If so, any particular model that is up to the task at hand? I'm willing to spend 200 to 400 dollars (more, if truly needed), and at that pricepoint I don't demand perfection.

fart

Savant
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

I'm having second thoughts about lenses for my D40 (which at 1500 clicks is fantastic). The sigma 30 1.4 in Nikon mount is out of stock everywhere in the entire world. For the first time ever I find myself seriously considering the benefits of long reach, and the 55-200 VR is just starting to ship (the 70-300VR is also tempting). Image stabilization is, of course, a big plus of these teles.

SnakeXs, re: camera bags. I went to a local camera shop that had a completely selection of tamrac/lowepro/crumpler/etc. and literally sat there putting my camera into every bag they had (Protip: the lowepro TLZ mini fits a nikon D40 exactly with a minimum of extra space in the bag, and doesn't have 50,000 pockets like every tamrac bag does). Short of doing thing I don't think there's any way I could have picked a bag.

also, i think i'd miss the 18-24 range from an 24-120 VR or 24-85. what about the 18-70 (d70 kit lens)?

oh, and TRIPODS: is it worth buying a 30$ ritz special?

SnakeXs

Summer is a 'comin, arise, arise. =P

K, picking glass sucks. I know I'm being a bit (read: way) anal, but seeing a "good" lens then hearing it's faults, then seeing a lens that does a little better for a little more is a soul-eating process that never ends. It's possibly even worse than audio equipment selection. :lol

I guess I've given and just said **** it, and will probably jump on the ever-felated Nikkor 18-200 3.5-5.6 DX VR... Yeah, it hurts, but whatever.

Wide is killing me even more. I figure with my trusty 50mm f/1.8, the one above as a general purpose/walkaround zoom, and a good really wide angle I'll be good, but holy **** are wide angles tough to nail. The 12-24 f/4 costs more than the (already wallet murdering) 18-200...

Blah. It's painful alright.

Anyone have any hands on with either lens, or any good alternatives? Honestly I can almost swallow the former lens, since I would definately put it to use, but a wide angle for that much is a bit.. well, much.

fart

Savant
SnakeXs said:
I guess I've given and just said **** it, and will probably jump on the ever-felated Nikkor 18-200 3.5-5.6 DX VR... Yeah, it hurts, but whatever.

Wide is killing me even more. I figure with my trusty 50mm f/1.8, the one above as a general purpose/walkaround zoom, and a good really wide angle I'll be good, but holy **** are wide angles tough to nail. The 12-24 f/4 costs more than the (already wallet murdering) 18-200...

Anyone have any hands on with either lens, or any good alternatives? Honestly I can almost swallow the former lens, since I would definately put it to use, but a wide angle for that much is a bit.. well, much.

wide: the tokina 12-24 and sigma 10-20 seem to be good alternatives to the nikkor. you can get the sigma 10-20 for 400$ before tax right now at dell (ebay for 20% coupon).

if you're ok with switching lenses, the 18-70, 70-300VR combo takes you through to long tele and costs about the same amount as an 18-200 with no waiting, and less optical quirks. it's also a tad faster up to 70mm. also, since the 18-70 was a kit lens, there are quite a few on keh.

SnakeXs

Let's try this yet again.

My lens search is on hold, because I'm so indecisive. The 18-200 is so tempting, but the distortion really bothers me. Beyond that there's so many lenses, and so many small flaws, and even just wondering range I want first is mind numbing.

I was gonna head into B&H today before work, but the tripod I was gonna get/check out, the 190PROB, is sold out.

So, any comments on that tripod? What's a good head to match with it?

I was also gonna get a hoya 77mm polarizing filter, a 52-77 step up ring, and a 52mm close up lens kit, and I was gonna check out some cases and bags and get what suits my needs.

Anyone have hands on with the 18-200? Any real world pics to show the distortion? *sigh*

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
My SD600 got stolen a few weeks back.. considering the SD750 now. I tried a bunch of Sonys, Pentax, Olympus, etc- but Im still partial to the canon interface and speed.
Its certainly not a cheap camera, but Im hoping I can get a deal on it within the next month or so.

Canon-SD750-Front-Angle.jpg

Canon-SD750-Back.jpg

fart

Savant
you know if you're having that much trouble deciding, maybe the best plan is to get the cheapest possible lens midrange zoom, namely the 18-55 kit. it should be pennies or so used, and definitely worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom