• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Does anyone have a recommendation for places to have prints made online? I have a huge backlog of photos I'd like to have printed.
I'll do it.

What are you looking for? Just paper prints? Take them down to costco, they likely use the same machines as most labs. Do you want more specific sizes, or canvas/metal? I'd go with WHCC, bayphoto, meridian.

My new baby came in earlier this week. Epson 7900, printing one of my panos at 16x48
P7074085.jpg

Flo_Evans

After spending a week shooting the D800E I feel I am ready to review it.

This camera is boss.

If all my gear got stolen I would run out and buy one. I don't think I would buy one right now, I want to see what the D600 is like before committing to a FF.

Controls
I love it. Everything is nikon-like. Some complain about the D7000 style AF mode select, but coming from a D7000 it just feels right. Easy to find and adjust with your eye to the finder, unlike the old switch on the back. My only complaint was that nikon seems to love to swap the zoom in and out buttons on varios camera models. Movie record button could be better/bigger (I like how the D7000 has it on the live view switch) and the mode (P,S,A,M) button is a bit of a stretch for my hands but I got used to it quickly. I love the grip, my dad complained the left of the camera is chopped down vs. older nikon full size bodies. Felt great to me vs. D7000.

Photos
Yes, this camera takes very nice, high res photos. Low light is solid, maybe not spectacular. The noise is very well controlled, mostly luminance (not color) noise that is easily taken care of by filters, or simply downsampling. Just walking around taking snaps the resolution difference is almost imperceptible... You really need to take your time, double check focus, steady yourself, take a breath, slooowly squeeze the trigger *ahem* shutter. Getting the BEST quality out of this thing takes some proper technique. It really does feel like shooting film in that regard. You can crank it to ISO 6400 and shoot handheld in the dark, but you are not going to get anything great from it like that. It would prefer to be sat on tripod for 10 seconds.

It really excels in the studio, just so happens I was doing some product shots...

DSC_0987

100% screengrab:

Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 2.57.20 PM

These where shot handheld with studio strobes. I know I could go back and do some remote release mirror up tripod shots and get even more detail out of it. It is almost ridiculous.

The files. The files are huge (avg. 40MB for each RAW file!) you could always shoot in jpeg... my 3 year old iMac has a bit of a struggle editing these. I don't think you can really knock the camera for that, a newer computer should have no problems. You will probably need more memory cards and hard drives than you had before.

Video
Very happy that nikon seems to finally be "getting it" with DSLR video. The live view histogram, audio level meters, headphone out, and fine aperture control are all welcome. I don't have a external HDMI recorder so I could not test out the uncompressed HDMI video out sadly. For some reason the fine aperture controls go away when you start rolling, leaving only the rough 1/3 stops of the front dial. The only way to be proper "auto" exposure in video is to let the camera mess with the ISO. Not exactly ideal but it does a pretty decent job if you just want to record a few home movies. But again if that is what you want to do you are doing it wrong if you buy this camera. Live view AF is improved but still not great vs. mirrorless cameras.

Overall
4/5 stars. A pretty impressive piece of kit. Not without drawbacks, and not perfect for every situation. But for what it does do, OMFG. it is awesome! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tdixson/sets/72157630409750668/ < more photos.

waxer

Should enthusiasts stick with Canon and Nikon? Ive been thinking of getting a Pentax but it is really hard to compare products. Things like quality of the lenses, stabilization etc and how they compare seems like a tricky subject to grasp.

Im quite liking the look of the k-30 and features like focus peaking, weather sealing, 100% viewfinder, higher burst rate make me want one over a comparable priced body from canon. Although I will miss have a tilty swively screen for my website product shots.
I need to get my hands on one as well because I refer a decent size camera. m4/3 don't cut it. My panasonic g2 is to small for extended use and lens cost here is rather high for them.

People talk about buying into the lens ecosystem and that is probably the one thing that gets me. As lenses are fewer (although manual with focus peaking would be fun) The reality is I will probably only ever get 3 or so lenses over the next 5 years I imagine and dont really want to spend greater than the $600 bracket on any.

But If I choose to follow an upgrade path Pentax doesn't offer much. I guess with only a few lens to sell that isn't much of a biggy.

On Canon I was considering a Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-200 and maybe a macro or just play with an adapter on the 70-200 for now.

Pentax I was think similar but probably a 18-135wr as a third lens for wet days or situations that require it plus as a travel lens.

Its rather easy to get caught up in the fan base arguments creating a perception that the best two selling brands are the only way to go.

RuGalz

After spending a week shooting the D800E I feel I am ready to review it.

Lol you really love that lens don't you.

Should enthusiasts stick with Canon and Nikon? Ive been thinking of getting a Pentax but it is really hard to compare products. Things like quality of the lenses, stabilization etc and how they compare seems like a tricky subject to grasp.

Unless you are shooting professional, telephoto sports, Pentax system is more than adequate. Their camera's ergonomics and handling, imo, is a step above. The weakest in the system is AF speed -- it's mediocre compared to top of the line Canikon but not exactly crappy and unusable or anything.

Lens wise, it just depends on what you need. The 18-135wr is extremely versatile. I usually carry that plus a 15mm prime for normal outing. For better quality stuff I carry 15, 35 and 50-135. For longer, telephoto I have a 55-300.

Some people like to do 21mm, 40mm and 70mm because all those are pancake design and you can literally carry all the lenses in regular pocket. The Pentax primes and vintage lenses are the reason why a lot of people love the system. If you want to be FF ready, some people go with the FA primes. If you are not a prime shooter (I wasn't either but started to appreciate it after a while), there are plenty of zoom lenses covering various focal lengths. I say, definitely go try out the K-30 see how it feels in your hands! You can see all the lenses available for Pentax system in this database: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/ (click on the third party lenses tab near the top for third party lenses)

Edit: Yea it's hard to compare the quality of lenses across the brands (unless it's a third party lens that exists across the board). The easiest is just to look at images they produce that weren't PP to hell. You could go by MTF charts but, to me, that doesn't tell the whole story.

Edit 2: There are a lot of people on the Pentax forum owning multiple systems and they typically are very good at answering brand comparison questions. So you could ask there too.

iamcenok

One on nikons worst? Now I must buy it. I'm a sucker for trippy photo gear.

If I weren't so cheap i'd buy into the lomo hipster craze.

Can anyone help me out with ND filters?

I want to get some for video recording, timelapses, and photography in general, but I don't know where to look, or how strong of a filter to get.

I'm looking to pair it with my 24-70 L lens

Ah, lomo is not bad as far as film prices go. Going with some Fujicolor slide film that sharpness is going to cost you...about 12 bucks a roll.

giga

Can anyone help me out with ND filters?

I want to get some for video recording, timelapses, and photography in general, but I don't know where to look, or how strong of a filter to get.

I'm looking to pair it with my 24-70 L lens
What type are you looking for? There are screw in ND filters (like a regular UV filter) which are cheap, but far less flexible and functional than an actual 4x4 filter with a holder system. If you want a regular solid filter, then a screw in filter would be the easiest and cheapest way to get there.

If you want graduated, then you need a filter holder to hold the filter, an adapter ring to attach onto the lens. Graduated ND filters can be hard or soft edge. The Lee foundation kit filter holder is one of the more popular holders. It works with 4x4 and 4x6 filters. 4x4 is for solid filters and 4x6 for graduated.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system

qt457.png

lee_fk_holder.jpg

For the adaptor ring, look at the filter thread size for your lens. For filters, Hoya and Cokin will be on the cheaper side while Lee and Singh Ray are the professional chocies.

Here's a guide that should help if you need more info: http://www.redbubble.com/people/pet...the-ultimate-guide-to-neutral-density-filters

Purchasing options--I'd look on ebay, b&h/amazon, as well as 2filter.

Flo_Evans

What type are you looking for? There are screw in ND filters (like a regular UV filter) which are cheap, but far less flexible and functional than an actual 4x4 filter with a holder system. If you want a regular solid filter, then a screw in filter would be the easiest and cheapest way to get there.

If you want graduated, then you need a filter holder to hold the filter, an adapter ring to attach onto the lens. Graduated ND filters can be hard or soft edge. The Lee foundation kit filter holder is one of the more popular holders. It works with 4x4 and 4x6 filters. 4x4 is for solid filters and 4x6 for graduated.

For the adaptor ring, look at the filter thread size for your lens. For filters, Hoya and Cokin will be on the cheaper side while Lee and Singh Ray are the professional chocies.

Here's a guide that should help if you need more info: http://www.redbubble.com/people/pet...the-ultimate-guide-to-neutral-density-filters

That looks awesome...

For video I just use a screw in 4 stop ND filter. 4 stops is generally enough to keep the frame rate down and aperture open in bright sunlight. If you need more add a 2nd filter. If you have lots of money get a adjustable one. Get one the size of your biggest lens, then get step down adapters for your smaller ones.

Thanks for this! Very informative

joshschw

Thanks.

I can't afford the IS version. I am thinking F/4 should be fast enough for well lit stages, outdoor sports, etc.

It's a great lens, especially stepped down to only f/5-5.6.
I just picked up another non-IS one myself, had one a couple years back.

IS only helps you when your subject is still so you don't miss out on much without the IS.

Ok so I have a few questions:

I want a new low light lens for my Canon 550D or EOS Rebel T2i as its know in the USA.
I do not want to spend like $300+ for a lens that I'm using only when I really have to because of the low light situations.

So I thought of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GAF's recommendation/experience with the lens?

Also I'm looking at the Sony NEX-F3 but Here in the EU its called the Sony NEX-F3K I could not really find if its just the name or something els is different?

And how is people's experience been using the F3 under low light situations? with the kit lens that comes with it?

fat pat

I want a new low light lens for my Canon 550D or EOS Rebel T2i as its know in the USA.
I do not want to spend like $300+ for a lens that I'm using only when I really have to because of the low light situations.

?

Buy it. Buy it this instant. This will do wonders for your photographic skill. Shooting with a prime will teach you a ton. Also, this prime is crazy cheap, crazy sharp, and crazy fast.

Have you bought it yet? buy it.

Buy it. Buy it this instant. This will do wonders for your photographic skill. Shooting with a prime will teach you a ton. Also, this prime is crazy cheap, crazy sharp, and crazy fast.
Have you bought it yet? buy it.
hahhaha ok ok ok I'll do, do more people have advice maybe on the F3?

magicstop

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GAF's recommendation/experience with the lens?

Also I'm looking at the Sony NEX-F3 but Here in the EU its called the Sony NEX-F3K I could not really find if its just the name or something els is different?

And how is people's experience been using the F3 under low light situations? with the kit lens that comes with it?

The Canon 50mm 1.8 shoots great pictures, and for the price, has unmatched IQ. The build quality is wretched though - they fall apart easily. Some say for the price, who cares? But I care . . . if I'm buying a cheap lens b/c I don't have much money, I don't want it falling apart. I need it to work.

I ended up going with an alternative . . . a vintage Takumar lens that has an extremely good image quality as well as build quality. The SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 is a faster lens, it will take far better pictures, and is built like today's top-tier lenses. When the SMC Tak 50 was being produced, Pentax was vying with Zeiss for market dominance, and it's widely believed that they took a loss on every single SMC 50 1.4 that they made. They are extremely nice, and the IQ is fantastic.
Now, you'll have to find a good one used (they are easily found on eBaY), and you'll need an adapter (~$6 USD on Amazon). You can also expect to pay $120 - $200 for a nice copy of one (I paid $160). Finally, they are manual only. You won't be autofocusing.

All that being said, I am so damn happy I got this lens. As a newbie to photography, it's helping me take beautiful photos that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Read some reviews on this thing. Amazing bokeh, incredibly sharp even wide open, really fast at 1.4, and built like a luxury tank. Just remember to find the SMC version, preferably not the S-M-C or the Super version (although those take great pictures and are typically less $$$). The SMC not only has the nice coating, but it's also got 8 aperture blades, producing a super creamy bokeh.

EDIT:

Some samples . . .

A completely unprocessed jpg. I'd process it differently, but just to show you what a low light, indoor shot can look like with this thing . . . and I think this may have been at f/1.8 rather than f/1.4. I can't remember.
Note the slightly imperfect focus is my fault . . . the cat was moving a lot, and again . . . this is a manual focus lens only.

lHjOrl.jpg

A cleaned photo with better focus, some post processing (desaturation, etc.) and again, an idea of what this lens can do indoors. I seem to remember snapping this one in the evening, inside, and based on the 1/40 shutter speed + ISO 500 + DOF, I'm guessing around f/1.8 or f/2. This thing has a razor sharp DOF when wide open.

I just purchased one of these on eBay for my OM-D E-M5 along with a cheap adapter I found on Amazon:

Pentax C22525KP C-Mount 25mm f/1.4 Manual CCTV Lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546271-REG/Pentax_C22525KP_C22525KP_1_C_Mount.html

A buddy of mine had one for his Panny GF2 and let me try it out at Anime Expo a couple of weekends ago...I was so impressed how well it works I just had to get one myself.

Here's sample I took at Anime Expo:

aooNo.jpg

Yeah there's crazy vignetting around the edges but it has surprisingly good sharpness in the center. I really dig the effect, though.

A nice review of the lens on m43 can be found here:
http://www.efixmedia.de/photography/2010/03/04/cosmicarpentax-251-4-c-mount-tv-lens-review/

Now is it a lens for you? Well, that depends on the following criteria:

* Are you looking for a small, fast, normal, and above all affordable manual prime lens for your m4/3 camera? Then yes.
* Do you need autofocus and macro capabilities? Then no.
* Do you find that some minor optical shortcomings can add to a lens&#8217; character and give the pictures a unique look? Then yes.
* Are you looking for creamy smooth, Leica-like bokeh and absolute optical perfection? Then no.
* But above all: Do you fancy strange and exotic gear, and do you like to pimp your m4/3 camera to make it unique? Then most certainly yes!

It's not gonna replace the Panny/Leica 25mm I have lol...but it's definitely a fun alternative tiny piece of glass to mess around with.

Given the price at around $65-80 new on eBay it's a bargain, yo.

The Canon 50mm 1.8 shoots great pictures, and for the price, has unmatched IQ. The build quality is wretched though - they fall apart easily. Some say for the price, who cares? But I care . . . if I'm buying a cheap lens b/c I don't have much money, I don't want it falling apart. I need it to work.

I ended up going with an alternative . . . a vintage Takumar lens that has an extremely good image quality as well as build quality. The SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 is a faster lens, it will take far better pictures, and is built like today's top-tier lenses. When the SMC Tak 50 was being produced, Pentax was vying with Zeiss for market dominance, and it's widely believed that they took a loss on every single SMC 50 1.4 that they made. They are extremely nice, and the IQ is fantastic.
Now, you'll have to find a good one used (they are easily found on eBaY), and you'll need an adapter (~$6 USD on Amazon). You can also expect to pay $120 - $200 for a nice copy of one (I paid $160). Finally, they are manual only. You won't be autofocusing.

All that being said, I am so damn happy I got this lens. As a newbie to photography, it's helping me take beautiful photos that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Read some reviews on this thing. Amazing bokeh, incredibly sharp even wide open, really fast at 1.4, and built like a luxury tank. Just remember to find the SMC version, preferably not the S-M-C or the Super version (although those take great pictures and are typically less $$$). The SMC not only has the nice coating, but it's also got 8 aperture blades, producing a super creamy bokeh.

EDIT:

Some samples . . .

A completely unprocessed jpg. I'd process it differently, but just to show you what a low light, indoor shot can look like with this thing . . . and I think this may have been at f/1.8 rather than f/1.4. I can't remember.
Note the slightly imperfect focus is my fault . . . the cat was moving a lot, and again . . . this is a manual focus lens only.

lHjOrl.jpg

A cleaned photo with better focus, some post processing (desaturation, etc.) and again, an idea of what this lens can do indoors. I seem to remember snapping this one in the evening, inside, and based on the 1/40 shutter speed + ISO 500 + DOF, I'm guessing around f/1.8 or f/2. This thing has a razor sharp DOF when wide open.

Thanks for the information, you know I would like to go with that option the problem is I can's seem to find the: Takumar 50mm F1.4 here in the EU for regular sale anymore :(.

magicstop

Thanks for the information, you know I would like to go with that option the problem is I can's seem to find the: Takumar 50mm F1.4 here in the EU for regular sale anymore :(.

Not sure what you mean by "regular sale," but if you mean retail, new, from a store, etc., then no. This lens was made last in the early 70's. But if you just need to find one somewhere in Europe, eBay has them.
For instance, here's a seller in France.

Don't know if that would work for you, but keep your eye open for them. They aren't terribly hard to find. If you can't nab an SMC version, the Super or S-M-C version would still be a great lens, and even the SMC Takumar 55m f/1.8 lens is pretty damn good, a lot cheaper usually.

Not sure what you mean by "regular sale," but if you mean retail, new, from a store, etc., then no. This lens was made last in the early 70's. But if you just need to find one somewhere in Europe, eBay has them.
For instance, here's a seller in France.

Don't know if that would work for you, but keep your eye open for them. They aren't terribly hard to find. If you can't nab an SMC version, the Super or S-M-C version would still be a great lens, and even the SMC Takumar 55m f/1.8 lens is pretty damn good, a lot cheaper usually.
What I meant was a online shop that is all :).

Also SMC Takumar 55m f/1.8 does that differ a lot than the 1.4 in terms of what you get out of an low light situation? because that is why I want this or the Canon lens for.

Also I more question is this mount also good with an SMC takumar 55m? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001G4QXLE/
Because the one you listed on amazon.com is not available on .co.uk

magicstop

What I meant was a online shop that is all :).

Also SMC Takumar 55m f/1.8 does that differ a lot than the 1.4 in terms of what you get out of an low light situation? because that is why I want this or the Canon lens for.

Also I more question is this mount also good with an SMC takumar 55m? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001G4QXLE/
Because the one you listed on amazon.com is not available on .co.uk

You'll need to do some review of the SMC Tak 55 1.8. I'm not as familiar with it, so I'd be a little hesitant to offer much more feedback than to say I've heard it's a hell of a deal (you can get them for $30 - $70 USD) and that they take great pictures. But the SMC Tak 50 1.4 is kind of THE king of manual focus lenses, and gets better results I suspect. They may not be different enough, however, to warrant the extra money.

As for that adapter, no, it won't work. That adapter is for adapting Nikon to Canon EOS lenses. You need to adapt m42 to EOS. Any search for "m42 to EOS adapter" should pull up lots of results. There are at least 4 or 5 on Amazon alone.

You'll need to do some review of the SMC Tak 55 1.8. I'm not as familiar with it, so I'd be a little hesitant to offer much more feedback than to say I've heard it's a hell of a deal (you can get them for $30 - $70 USD) and that they take great pictures. But the SMC Tak 50 1.4 is kind of THE king of manual focus lenses, and gets better results I suspect. They may not be different enough, however, to warrant the extra money.

As for that adapter, no, it won't work. That adapter is for adapting Nikon to Canon EOS lenses. You need to adapt m42 to EOS. Any search for "m42 to EOS adapter" should pull up lots of results. There are at least 4 or 5 on Amazon alone.
Thank you for the information :)

Looking for a video camera, it seems like DSLRs take outstanding video.

Considering I am completely new to the world of cameras and DSLRs, what would you guys recommend getting to learn the basics.

Keep in mind I would be shooting mostly video.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think canon DSLRs are more known for their video capability.

Also, rumors are saying that canon mirrorless will be apsc with a new mount type.

Zyzyxxz

Looking for a video camera, it seems like DSLRs take outstanding video.

Considering I am completely new to the world of cameras and DSLRs, what would you guys recommend getting to learn the basics.

Keep in mind I would be shooting mostly video.

Panasonic GH2 is the king of videos right now without spending too much money! Especially if you hack the firmware it can create some amazing stuff.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Whelp, I finally got a camera!

My old trusty Olympus 8080 died couple years ago and with the economic uncertainty I wasn't willing to go forward and invest on new gear, but be damned I've been waiting for long and I can't keep vulturing friend's gear... they're starting to hide their cameras whenever I show up hahaha...

Got a sweet deal... Nikon d5100 + 18-55 + 55-200 + tripod + SD card + extended warranty + some other goodies for 620 buckaroos (euros actually, but...). Yeah I know I know, Nikon is updating gear, blah blah blah whatever I'm not that much interested on the cutting edge, but rather on getting a fair deal.

It's been two years since I owned a camera and it's my first reflex so I'm still learning the motions a little. It's surprising how tight focus can get with the tele lol.

The best part of this I'm done looking at gear websites, from now on it's all flicker and 500px for me wooohoooo!

RuGalz

mrkgoo

Impressions of the Sony RX100 video capabilities...

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8499/s...:+EOSHD+(EOSHD.com)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Wow. Sony seems to have knocked it out of the park with this thing. Its a bit of an odd duck considering its price but it looks to be delivering on all fronts for a pocketable camera.

Looks awesome. I've always been a fan of the Sony point and shoots.

How much is this beast? Edit: us$649. Yeah, pretty high.

Oh well, time to go play with my 40mm pancake.

I love the ability to use C mount lenses on my OM-D. I already have a RainbowImaging 25MM F1.4 TV Movie Lens that can take some really interesting photos.

I just ordered Holga lens based on this review:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/11/holga-25-f8-lens-for-micro-43-review-by-illya-reddy/

I haven't used a Holga since I was in college, but I'm excited to see what sort of weird results I can get with it. The great thing is these lenses are so cheap, it's not a big deal to try them out and start collecting them.

Impressions of the Sony RX100 video capabilities...

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8499/s...:+EOSHD+(EOSHD.com)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Wow. Sony seems to have knocked it out of the park with this thing. Its a bit of an odd duck considering its price but it looks to be delivering on all fronts for a pocketable camera.

That's some insane performance out of such a small sensor. It makes you wonder how crazy Sony could make the upcoming FF camera be if they weren't concerned will cannibalizing their pro equipment sales.

Damaged

Anybody have much experience with the Nikon D7000? I'm thinking it may be getting to the time where I should upgrade from my 3100 and i really can't afford to go full frame just yet, plus I don't want to lose my dx 35mm 1.8.

This kind of got lost on the last page? does any one have anything to say about the D7000? Good or bad?

I've read a load of reviews online but but interested to hear Gaf's opinion on it. So far I'm thinking its a major upgrade over my D3100 with better low light performance and better compatibility with older non af-s lenses, but I cant be sure I'm not just trying to convince myself I need it in a fit of gear lust. Help!

Zyzyxxz

This kind of got lost on the last page? does any one have anything to say about the D7000? Good or bad?

I've read a load of reviews online but but interested to hear Gaf's opinion on it. So far I'm thinking its a major upgrade over my D3100 with better low light performance and better compatibility with older non af-s lenses, but I cant be sure I'm not just trying to convince myself I need it in a fit of gear lust. Help!

How does your D3100 not satisfy you? It's a far better camera than the D40 was as an entry level. For low light is f/1.8 not fast enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom