• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena thread

Oni Jazar

IGN reviewed it: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/968/968314p1.html

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is a difficult game to judge. The first half of the game, Escape from Butcher Bay, certain shows its age, but is still an innovative game. The sequel, however, comes off as a poor imitation. It's far more frustrating and seems more shooter than anything else. It's not a terrible game for a sequel, but it's inferior to Butcher Bay. If you played the original back in 2004, then there's little reason to pick this game up. However, if you never played Riddick's first adventure it (and its modest follow-up) are worth checking out.

Sabotage

rdkwtr.gif

riddickstab1.gif

So I have heard mixed things about about Dark Athena, but it also comes with Butcher Bay which I never played. I may pick this up in the future. :D

Yeah, haven't played the original but I'm going to wait for a price drop or a Steam sale for this. Maybe if they'd got the PC demo out before the reviews I'd have made up my mind.

Darklord

Banned
PC Powerplay gave it a 9/10(PC version).

They said it was still an amazing game, Dark Athena is still great but the weaker of the two games.

chubigans said:
Starbreeze is quickly becoming the Rare of games it seems. Ugh.

Ah well, still buyin!

Umm, their last game The Darkness was amazing and this game has gotten mostly 9/10+ reviews so far.

Stop being so pessimistic.

LM4sure

Banned
Ok, is there something wrong with me? I played the PS3 demo and thought it was utter crap. From the graphics, to the gameplay, to even the menus, everything was crap. Now let me say I really enjoyed the first game on the Xbox, but this doesn't feel the same. It looks the same (graphics look to be on par with the Xbox version), but this is no Escape from Butcher Bay.

burgerdog

The newest title in the Riddick franchise, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena brings the hit first person shooter to a new audience and a new generation of consoles when it is released on the Xbox 268, PS3, and PC in Spring 2009.

You should know better than to troll when you create an official thread. Anyway, is this out today?

haha, i didn't notice that. i had to retype what they had on the games website.

i'll go fix that

i also added the reviews

and yeah the game it out today. even though it still says the 7th everywhere.

burgerdog

fistfulofmetal said:
haha, i didn't notice that. i had to retype what they had on the games website.

i'll go fix that

i also added the reviews

and yeah the game it out today. even though it still says the 7th everywhere.

Oh shiiiit, I'm so buying this today. Too bad we never got a pc demo, my pc should be good enough to run it maxed out. I need to see all that extra "oomph" to make me purchase the pc version, as I vastly prefer to play on consoles. Now to decide which version to get, PS3 and 360 look about equal. I've never played EfBB so I'm fucking excited. Thanks for the OP.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm writing my review tonight (after putting it off to get more multiplayer hands-on) and I don't see it as a low as a 7 -- but... I can see where they are coming from. I did play with some IGN folk in the multiplayer sessions and, to say the least, they stunk.

I'm putting up more videos for this game on my YouTube page tonight. I've enjoyed everything I've played so far.

Cartman86

Banned
I loved Chronicles of Riddick so much. One of my top 10 favorite games of the past 10 years. Can't wait to get this. I really hope more people get the chance to play it. But honestly I don't expect much. After all the hate on Half-Life 2 (at least in my circle of friends) when Orange Box came out my heart died a little bit.

Hm, shame that Dark Athena's sounding a little weaker (I'm disappointed they chose to go down the shooter route a bit more; the fact that you were so often restricted from using guns in the first game was great design IMO), but I'm still buying. Butcher Bay was just amazing. I really hope they've included the FANTASTIC commentary from the PC version!

Also, Vin Diesel is so damn sexy.

Edit: Why is this coming out so late in the UK though? :mad:

Cartman86 said:
I loved Chronicles of Riddick so much. One of my top 10 favorite games of the past 10 years. Can't wait to get this. I really hope more people get the chance to play it. But honestly I don't expect much. After all the hate on Half-Life 2 (at least in my circle of friends) when Orange Box came out my heart died a little bit.

Same here, Butcher Bay was easily one of my top 5 games on the original XBox. I'm picking this up right after work. I can't wait to sit down and play through Butcher Bay again, then experience Dark Athena. Just watched Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick (HD-DVD) over the weekend, and can't wait to jump into the game. I just love Riddick's style and presentation, and his one liners are the BEST. All who've never played the original should at least rent this game.

Sysgen

Was torn a bit since I've played the original 3 times. Easily my favorite Xbox game from last gen. Reading the Game Informer review swung the pendulum in favor of buying this today. As to Athena being the weaker of the two games, so what! That's like skipping Return of the Jedi because it was weaker than The Empire Strikes Back.

JessicaPadkin said:
I really hope they've included the FANTASTIC commentary from the PC version!

I forgot all about that. Man I hope it does, and has new commentary for Dark Athena. Commentary in games is awesome.

painey

Vins going all out. He didnt do anything big for years and now boom, Wheelman and Riddick out for consoles and F&F4 out in cinemas.

Cartman86

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
I forgot all about that. Man I hope it does, and has new commentary for Dark Athena. Commentary in games is awesome.

Yeah I was just about to ask this. I'm reading through reviews and not seeing any mention of it. Honestly it was THE best element of the PC version for me. I had played the xbox one so going back to the PC was still great, but playing through it a third time with commentary basically throughout the entire game was great. Long commentary too. The closest that has come to that has been Valve's games.

Cartman86

Banned
Hmm well it looks like Commentary is a Pre-Order bonus. And it only mentions commentary for the Butcher Bay part, so I assume its the old commentary from the PC version not anything new (to be expected). But I don't know if there is any in Dark Athena.

http://www.hmtk.com/archives/riddick-assault-on-dark-athena-pre-order-bonus-items.html

EDIT: But when you actually go and check out the Gamestop and Amazon.com preorder sites it only lists the exclusive map... Maybe they changed their mind? Ah bleh who knows.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
AgentOtaku said:
David Twohy and Vin Diesel are supposedly still writing one...

No shit? I hope so. I love the Riddick universe.

I am also picking this game up today.

Haunted

JessicaPadkin said:
I really hope they've included the FANTASTIC commentary from the PC version!
The reason why I played through the original twice. Just awesome. Wish more devs would create those instead of just Valve and Starbreeze~

Can anyone tell me more about the core gameplay? Is it a shoot-em-up? Or an infiltration mission? Whats going on storywise, and what are the gameplay mechanics?

I havent seen the movies and didnt play the first game.

iamcool388 said:
Can anyone tell me more about the core gameplay? Is it a shoot-em-up? Or an infiltration mission? Whats going on storywise, and what are the gameplay mechanics?

I havent seen the movies and didnt play the first game.

The first game is a lot of stealth. Hiding in shadows and snapping peoples necks. There's also a large percent of adventure gameplay. Going around and talking to other inmates and getting... well... quests. There's a lot of side missions where you have to go and collect stuff for people or sometimes kill people. There's a few FPS action sections closer to the end and there's also a section where you can go pretty pretty much all stealth or all action.

When it comes to the sequel, it looks to be more action and less adventure.

Pojo

Banned
JessicaPadkin said:
Hm, shame that Dark Athena's sounding a little weaker (I'm disappointed they chose to go down the shooter route a bit more; the fact that you were so often restricted from using guns in the first game was great design IMO), but I'm still buying.

Is it just me, or were the shooting mechanics in the demo awful? I mean, not just regular "bad", but it felt like you were shooting peas from a pellet gun. Didn't help that when you died, you just respawned and had to do it all over again with a drone with like 2 HP.

fistfulofmetal said:
The first game is a lot of stealth. Hiding in shadows and snapping peoples necks. There's also a large percent of adventure gameplay. Going around and talking to other inmates and getting... well... quests. There's a lot of side missions where you have to go and collect stuff for people or sometimes kill people. There's a few FPS action sections closer to the end and there's also a section where you can go pretty pretty much all stealth or all action.

When it comes to the sequel, it looks to be more action and less adventure.

Metal Gear?!

That sounds sweet, I'll check the demo out, thanks!

iamcool388 said:
That sounds sweet, I'll check the demo out, thanks!

well the demo of Dark Athena probably doesn't show of any of what made the first good... so don't expect to see anything from my post in it except for action.

fistfulofmetal said:
well the demo of Dark Athena probably doesn't show of any of what made the first good... so don't expect to see anything from my post in it except for action.

The second one comes with the first game right? If its two games in one package, one good, one average, thats still a pretty good package. :D

Fistfullofmetal, what's the key to hand to hand combat in the game? Should I block and attack or should I attack right before the enemy does? Cause I'm getting my ass handed to me in the demo.

Riddick_AoDA_02.jpg

Dammit! ....now I'm really thinking about getting the PC version instead again! :lol

Guess I'll have made my decision next week

DangerStepp

How it everyone seemingly picking it up today whenever the OP says 4/7/09 for U.S.?

I will definitely be getting this on PC.

Does anyone know what kind of drm the PC version has? If its nothing too bad, I will pick up that version instead of getting it for 360.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Fistfullofmetal, what's the key to hand to hand combat in the game? Should I block and attack or should I attack right before the enemy does? Cause I'm getting my ass handed to me in the demo.

lol, i dunno. i haven't played the demo. i don't know if it's the same as the first game.

Top Bottom