• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Game Room thread of Rewinding Time

Grecco

Its been dead for weeks guys. Krome closing is just an unfortunate exclamation point. When you release "2" atari games a week, its dead.

Sucks too because the idea was awesome. Unfortunate it went sour so quickly

Grecco said:
Where is Jackal?

A new gamepack is up and Jackal is available. Thios game was known as Top Gunner in NA and is highly enjoyable.
Also a couple of Atari 2600 games are available this week: Double Dunk and Breakout.

At least give a taste to Jackal, it deserves it.

I always forget about this thing. Don't even know where you find it. This and destination arcade never cross my mind because MS is more interested in me eating Jacks Links beef jerky.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Lighting Gels said:
At least give a taste to Jackal, it deserves it.
Jackal is great.

Also, browsing the Game Room forums on www.xbox.com, some people from Retro Gamer magazine got to talk to Krome and they indicated that they had up to Game Pack 013 ready before closing down and that Pack 013 contains Sunset Riders.

Sunset Riders.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
CitizenCope said:
I always forget about this thing. Don't even know where you find it. This and destination arcade never cross my mind because MS is more interested in me eating Jacks Links beef jerky.
They stuck it in the "Specialty Shops" section along with the Indie Games, a horrible design choice.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
RedStep said:
That might be my first Game Room purchase.
That's a shame, most of the Konami arcade games up there have really stood the test of time, check them out!

And as far as the 2600 goes, some of Activision's games are worth a few space points as well.

RedStep said:
Fuck.

That might be my first Game Room purchase.

Bury me with my.... money.
It seems that soon you'll be able to buy a bundle pack with 15 great Konami classics for half their price. Maybe next week this offer will be up.

Princess Skittles said:
That's a shame, most of the Konami arcade games up there have really stood the test of time, check them out!

And as far as the 2600 goes, some of Activision's games are worth a few space points as well.
QFT

bryehn

Jackal!

I'd totally forgot about this service, then downloaded 8-10.

Really wish they'd list the included games so I know what's "new"

So Jackal was released? I'm glad I was hanging onto some allards for the past month. Does this mean someone has taken up the reigns of game room? Good news if true.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Lighting Gels said:
It seems that soon you'll be able to buy a bundle pack with 15 great Konami classics for half their price. Maybe next week this offer will be up.
It's actually 1/3 of the price, 15 games for 1200, $1 a game as opposed to $3.

bryehn said:
Really wish they'd list the included games so I know what's "new"
You can do the above or check out the Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Room_games

riskVSreward said:
So Jackal was released? I'm glad I was hanging onto some allards for the past month. Does this mean someone has taken up the reigns of game room? Good news if true.
Krome apparently had up to Game Pack 013 ready, so give or take about three months of slow (3-4 games a week) release schedules as a buffer for a new developer to come in. Of course, there's always the possibility MS brought whatever team at Krome was working on it in house, I suppose. Either way, it's obvious some dust needs to settle on this project due to Krome's closing.

I think it's a safe assumption that it will continue, but MS will really need to "relaunch" it at this point with a big publisher or two ready to put their games on it. I think Namco, Capcom and Sega are good candidates as they have done several classic compilations already and they all have very strong 80's arcade libraries, though I suppose Sega's compilations have mostly been console based.

I also think it needs to have more visibility on the dashboard interface, give a tab showing off what new games are available without having to launch the UI would probably do wonders for keeping people aware of it.

Detana!!! Twinbee is out now. If you liked the first Twinbee you will buy this no question.

I bought it and it plays just fine, no hitches or anything. Kudos to whoever did that patch. Now I can go back and pick up the stuff I've been skipping.

It seems part of the problem with getting new publishers is everyone has their own idea. SNK just announced their own service and no way are they going to release games for $3 a pop when they expect triple that. Sega/Namco sounds good but Sega probably doesn't care and Namco seems a bit focused on their new retro games. Seems like some effort will have to be made to court them as currently they seem just fine doing the very rare game on VC(though that's dried up lately...except for Capcom/SNK).

I wonder if Toaplan is a possibility. They're very much gone so who has the rights to their library?

Being 40 and playing so many games over the years in different generations it saddens me that I get little joy in returning to some of these games. They just don't hold up well over time. I put so much money into Blades of Steel at my local arcade. After playing the game on xbox I wouldn't even pay the $2.50 to buy it.
Oh well there are still gems to be found with this service but sadly there are many more games that are forgettable.

celebi23

I was just playing on Game for Windows Live & got a phantom "Game Pack 013" update. When I went to download it, it gave me an error saying that it wasn't the correct update type. I'm gonna try & get that message to show up again & I'll grab a screenshot this time.

robot

Trick Trap 1771 is a recent favorite of mine. If you haven't tried it out I highly recommend it. The best description I can think of is medieval themed Commando with lasers.

If its one thing gameroom accomplished is exposing me to obscure konami arcade games. I swear I've never heard of 80% of their releases so far.

PopfulMail

Played on the 360 last night and had an update as well... though I'm not sure what it was.

One thing I noticed while playing last night was that the generic cabinets kept alternating between two different looks for me.

jgkspsx

robot said:
If its one thing gameroom accomplished is exposing me to obscure konami arcade games. I swear I've never heard of 80% of their releases so far.
Not just that, but they have some awesome and imaginative games that I just didn't know existed.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So I'm curious, did Game Pack 013 unlock everything for the month or should we be expecting more titles unlocked this week? I don't see any new titles mentioned.

AzBat

Game Room coming to Windows Phone 7...

IGN said:
The Xbox 360's retro arcade Game Room is coming soon to Windows Phone devices. Game Room includes six classics: Time Pilot, Lunar Lander, Centipede, Asteroids Deluxe, Shao-Lin's Road, and Pitfall. If you already have Game Room up and running on your 360 or PC, you can sync your profile up so high scores and medals achieved on Windows Phone can be posted to the global leaderboards.

Game Room for Windows Phone should be available very soon.
http://wireless.ign.com/articles/114/1142785p1.html

Should have been there at launch. Makes total sense. Plus, if you get all 3 platforms with the Play Anywhere version, then that's an excellent deal. Too bad the library is crap.

But the WP7 releases are stand-alone games. Sure they share the "gameroom" feel in presentation, but there is no game hub, no arcade, just the game. And each game has its own set of achievements.

Chiaroscuro said:
My personal wishlist for Windows Phone 7 (case some devs/Microsoft visits this thread):

- Original Halo: Combat Envolved (everyone wants it, right?) - Seriously? They would have to retool the whole game and tone down the AI. NO DUDE.
- OutRun (port from the XBLA version, but I guess it won't happen due to licensing) - This is plausible but wouldn't be fun.
- Plants vs. Zumbis (hey PopCap, I am ready to buy the game a third time) - Whats a Zumbi? Is that like the Zumba version of Plants vs Zombies?
- Project Gotham Racing (even Zune HD got a Ferrari version) - This will probably happen but most likely be a port of the Zune one.
- Half-Life/Left4Dead (please, Valve, port the source engine to WP7 - I know, it lacks C++ support....) - Seriously? REALLY? :lol
- Need for Speed Shift (EA, what about bringing your newer games to the plataform, not the 3 years old ones?) - Don't bother, pretty avg on Iphone/Android
- Dirt or Sega Rally series (I really dig running off-road). - Games with quick thinking don't work on Gyros
- Viva Pinata (what Rare is doing these days? Didn't they have a handheld division in the past? Get them to work on WP7) - Making Kinect games.

I know it is the early days of the plataform and casual games take less time in developing, but please say to us that at least some games in the "key" IPs are being in development now....

ALSO: Triple post seriously?

untoldhero said:
ALSO: Triple post seriously?

You may have notice that I excuse myshelf from posting in the wrong thread (should have been in the WP7 thread) so that is why the triple post....

Ah, I wrote down the text first in my text editor, which "corrects" some words to my native portuguese. So zumbis should be zombies.

And I think WP7 devices are strong enough to play older games, like Halo. Gameloft just proved the concept works with NOVA.

gunstarhero

2.2.2011:

Gameroom update!
No.

Dear MS -

Please remove the dashboard ad for Gameroom that claims New Games Every Wednesday.

Thanks.
And suck a dick.

The failure to continue this thing pisses me off so much. It's such a great idea and mostly well-executed, too. Fucking MS. Get Proper Games or someone else to revive it, already. And get more damned deals done to get more games from the arcade. No more Intellivision and A2600 scrapings, please.

*sigh*

This is dead forever, isn't it?

MightyHedgehog said:
The failure to continue this thing pisses me off so much. It's such a great idea and mostly well-executed, too. Fucking MS. Get Proper Games or someone else to revive it, already. And get more damned deals done to get more games from the arcade. No more Intellivision and A2600 scrapings, please.

*sigh*

This is dead forever, isn't it?
Even if it is dead forever, MS should let us buy the rest of the games in packs 12 & 13.

I want my fucking Sunset Riders!

OMG Aero

Reluctant-Hero said:
Even if it is dead forever, MS should let us buy the rest of the games in packs 12 & 13.

I want my fucking Sunset Riders!
I like to think they did this on purpose.
Game Room died as it lived, withholding the good games from you.

gunstarhero

After seeing Xmen arcade release OUTSIDE of Gameroom, when it it clearly belonged IN Gameroom, I think it's safe to say publishers realize they can get more money and more exposure for their classic games in good ol' XBLA.

And that's probably where Sunset Riders is riding off to.

MS really fucked this one up - the exposure that a game like Xmen would have given Gameroom would have been tremendous if they would have marketed it correctly.

Regardless, I will continue to make my update every Wednesday on this thread until MS removes that "New Games every Wednesday" ad from there dashboard. :)

gunstarhero

Hey everybody!

New Game Room releases for Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 are:

Forgotten Worlds
Trojan
Sega Turbo
Sunset Riders

Can you imagine? Yeah, none of this is true, and we have nothing yet again. Thanks for playing.

Dave Long

Banned
I wonder if they'll just shut it down at some point in the future and people will lose access to the games they bought?

gunstarhero said:
Hey everybody!

New Game Room releases for Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 are:

Forgotten Worlds
Trojan
Sega Turbo
Sunset Riders

Can you imagine? Yeah, none of this is true, and we have nothing yet again. Thanks for playing.

lol you had me.

gunstarhero

2.16: Call me crazy, but I have a strange feeling MS forgot about GameRoom this week... Weird. I'm mean, the dashboard ad says "NEW GAMES EVERY WEDNESDAY".

Oh well, I'm sure they'll make up for it next week. I'm positive.

Top Bottom