• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

RedAssedApe

Banned
i know its not the ideal setup but the ds4 seems to drive the fidelio x2s alright.

any suggestions for when you get audio drop-outs when using headphones with the ds4? is it an interference or bandwidth issue with the bluetooth between ps4 and ds4?

phoenixyz

Is it normal to hear constant static background on FLAC albums from the 1950s? I barely notice it when the music plays.

I'm listening to Ella Fitzgerald, best Jazz singer of all time, with Sennheiser HD 650, Valhalla 2, Modi 2.

Doesn't it make sense that a recording from the 50s is not really up to modern standards when it comes to quality? I mean, you can only do so much when restoring and remastering.

FoxSpirit

Doesn't it make sense that a recording from the 50s is not really up to modern standards when it comes to quality? I mean, you can only do so much when restoring and remastering.
It's not a 100% necessity but yes, it's likely. Equipment of the 50s was still pretty noisy.
I dabbled in digital restoration myself but you can only go so far until you hit audibleness of the process.
A true restoration filter will have to do so much more than what current noise removal does. So currently you have the option of more noise or ugly artefacts.

Oh yes, and modern recording equipemt is awesome :p

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Okay, just got a chance to listen to the X2's. They sound amazing! They oddly sound like actual speakers. I'm going to enjoy these

Why would you do that lol
Keep the X2, they have removable earpads in case you don't want to upgrade to anything for a few years.

lol

Yeah I know.

Oh apparently they don't sell the earpads yet?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well the cable on my Grado 325is finally started fraying at the split as seen here. The stiff tubing was awkwardly twisted and bent from the factory so I expected it eventually, but it's still annoying since the gimbals have broken twice (even if Grado replaces them for free) and these are $300 headphones that shouldn't break like this.

I really like having their sound as a contrast to my Mad Dogs, so I'm thinking of somehow getting them upgraded to not-shit parts to go along with their nice sound. Any recommendations for how to do this? I'm aware of the one guy who does metal gimbals, but I'm still debating on those. A rewire to something that sounds the same but isn't all shitty rigid and twisted would be great.

Anyone know of a good playlist for a high end audio equipment?

Help me discover GAF.

yes i do. PM Me and ill send it to you tonight when i am at home in front of my setup. I have 4TB of VERY high quality audio and can share with you the names of tracks from my "audio equipment testing" folder which has really cool stuff in it to give your system a workout.

HiResDes

Well the cable on my Grado 325is finally started fraying at the split as seen here. The stiff tubing was awkwardly twisted and bent from the factory so I expected it eventually, but it's still annoying since the gimbals have broken twice (even if Grado replaces them for free) and these are $300 headphones that shouldn't break like this.

I really like having their sound as a contrast to my Mad Dogs, so I'm thinking of somehow getting them upgraded to not-shit parts to go along with their nice sound. Any recommendations for how to rdo this? I'm aware of the one guy who does metal gimbals, but I'm still debating on those. A rewire to something that sounds the same but isn't all shitty rigid and twisted would be great.
PM Dynamite Ringo Matsuri he knows a guy that does extremely high quality recabling work might be a little costly but worth it so you don't mess up the soldiering yourself.

Okay just a quick and probably stupid question, I just got a pair of very cheap Turtle Beach Stealth 400 after returning my Kave and they require a Toslink optical connection to work properly. The thing is, the supplied cable is Toslink-Mini to Toslink. My PC has a Toslink output on my Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer but it's Toslink-Mini aswell so using such an adapter should work right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V5HQAU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone had a chance to listen to the HE-1000s?

Id love to hear a set but no one here seems to have them and from what ive heard it seems to represent the middle ground between the LCD3s and the transparency of the HD800s. But yeah...for $3K it seems a bit much.

I'm gonna be meeting up with a friend soon to hear the HE 1000. We'll also have the UM Maverick and Mason to test out. I'm actually way more interested in the Maverick than the HE 1000 LOL

I too bought the X2s but got them later so I am waiting 2-5 weeks.

Will keep the Amperiors for work and use the X2s for home. Sell off my HD598s.

JoseDFrog

Banned
I want to thank HiResDes for his recommendation of the KC06. They seem well built and they sound quite good for the price.

HiResDes

I too bought the X2s but got them later so I am waiting 2-5 weeks.

Will keep the Amperiors for work and use the X2s for home. Sell off my HD598s.
Sounds like exactly what I'd do, the Amperior will be a great compliment being portable, closed, and better for rock music.

I want to thank HiResDes for his recommendation of the KC06. They seem well built and they sound quite good for the price.
Any time man, I wouldn't know anything without receiving a bunch of help from the community and headfi of course.

I'm considering getting the AudioEngine D1 DAC to drive my Philips Fidellio X2's.

The other option i had my eye on was the Schiit Magni / Modi stack.

Does anyone have experience of either of these with the X2's? Or even better, experience with both with the X'2s?

I'll settle for just some first hand experience of either to help me :)

HiResDes

I had the Modi stack for about two years and I've had the X1 for about three. I must tell you it probably won't make a big difference what you get considering that the rather low impedance and high sensitivity of the X1/X2. It will sound great out of any decent DAC and doesn't really scale all too much with amping. I'm now using a modded Halo Claro soundcard and my headphones sound just as good out of it as my Schiit stack. They'd probably even sound great just out of the Fulla.

I had the Modi stack for about two years and I've had the X1 for about three. I must tell you it probably won't make a big difference what you get considering that the rather low impedance and high sensitivity of the X1/X2. It will sound great out of any decent DAC and doesn't really scale all too much with amping. I'm now using a modded Halo Claro soundcard and my headphones sound just as good out of it as my Schiit stack. They'd probably even sound great just out of the Fulla.

Well at the moment i don't have a dedicated soundcard but my Mobo seems to have decent sound on-board (it has a built in dac).

line.jpg

The AudioEngine D1 is about half the price, and i'm not that fussed about it being a DAC/AMP all in one.

At the moment i think my headphones need some additional amplification.

HiResDes

Yeah sounds like a good idea, I think the Fulla and Geek Out 450 would also be good choices...I do have one of the top two best soundcards for headphones, as on high impedance output it can drive 600 Ohm headphones.

Tommy DJ

Dismantling of the LCD-3F. Follows on from the typical high end headphone practice of looking really nice outside but made by monkeys inside. It probably explains why there's an abnormally high failure rate with them, driver imbalance issues, and how Audeze can't make all of their headphones sound consistent with each other.

Like lmao misaligning the fazor in relation to the driver is something you don't expect from someone charging you $2,000 for headphones. Its like how the Beyerdynamic T1 has less effort put into them than the DT880s.

Anyone know of a good playlist for a high end audio equipment?

Help me discover GAF.

Everyone has their own way to test equipment. Keep in mind that the master is just as important as the actual track itself. This complicates things. This is what I've used for ages to test equipment:

- King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" to test how well your system handles detail. Some tracks are especially busy and can sound very blurry on bad speaker/headphones or source equipment. 30th Anniversary Edition is what you want.
- Paul Simon's "Graceland" to test soundstage and tonality. The 1986 master is the best version.
- Paul Simon's "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" for sibilance and vocal harshness. The best way to hear the fundamental difference between the HD600 and HD650. Earlier masters are far harsher than recent remasters but better balanced and more airy/open.
- 1818 Overture for dynamic range. I believe there are versions without cannons, with real cannons, and with digital cannons. Watch out for the ones with digital cannons because you're going to hurt yourself or your equipment if you're not careful.

And a whole bunch of Top 40 while I'm at it.

Dismantling of the LCD-3F. Follows on from the typical high end headphone practice of looking really nice outside but made by monkeys inside. It probably explains why there's an abnormally high failure rate with them, driver imbalance issues, and how Audeze can't make all of their headphones sound consistent with each other.

Like lmao misaligning the fazor in relation to the driver is something you don't expect from someone charging you $2,000 for headphones. Its like how the Beyerdynamic T1 has less effort put into them than the DT880s.

Everyone has their own way to test equipment. Keep in mind that the master is just as important as the actual track itself. This complicates things. This is what I've used for ages to test equipment:

- King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" to test how well your system handles detail. Some tracks are especially busy and can sound very blurry on bad speaker/headphones or source equipment. 30th Anniversary Edition is what you want.
- Paul Simon's "Graceland" to test soundstage and tonality. The 1986 master is the best version.
- Paul Simon's "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" for sibilance and vocal harshness. The best way to hear the fundamental difference between the HD600 and HD650. Earlier masters are far harsher than recent remasters but better balanced and more airy/open.
- 1818 Overture for dynamic range. I believe there are versions without cannons, with real cannons, and with digital cannons. Watch out for the ones with digital cannons because you're going to hurt yourself or your equipment if you're not careful.

And a whole bunch of Top 40 while I'm at it.

I've never thought the quality of the LCD3's looked particularly good, even without opening them up. It just looks like a custom job done by a small indie group. Glad I haven't had any issues yet because many people have.

The el8s seem to be built a lot better. So hopefully their new stuff is more like this standard.

The documentary in how the hd800s is eye opening compared to this really.

herod

hey gaf, a few years ago I bought some Beyerdynamic DT 770 Premium Edition cans and whilst I love them the leakage drives my wife insane (she is a misophonia sufferer) despite these supposedly being closed back.

I'd like to get something similar sized etc. but with absolutely minimal leakage. I guess my budget is around £200, sources are either my Musical Fidelity V-DAC mk II or just straight into my galaxy s6. I'd appreciate some recommendations, I need to pick from stuff available in Europe ideally.

HiResDes

hey gaf, a few years ago I bought some Beyerdynamic DT 770 Premium Edition cans and whilst I love them the leakage drives my wife insane (she is a misophonia sufferer) despite these supposedly being closed back.

I'd like to get something similar sized etc. but with absolutely minimal leakage. I guess my budget is around £200, sources are either my Musical Fidelity V-DAC mk II or just straight into my galaxy s6. I'd appreciate some recommendations, I need to pick from stuff available in Europe ideally.
ADL H118, AKG K553, or Focal Spirit Classic or the Brainwavz Hm5 if you can't find those.

andylsun

Was at a yard sale this morning and there was

Sony MDR-7502
Shure SRH440

Both for $5 each

I picked the Sony and then realized my mistake when I got home. Awful. Should have grabbed the Shure.

Edit: also picked up some Sony wireless pulse headphones without realizing they need a USB dongle, thought they were Bluetooth.

HiResDes

Was at a yard sale this morning and there was

Sony MDR-7502
Shure SRH440

Both for $5 each

I picked the Sony and then realized my mistake when I got home. Awful. Should have grabbed the Shure.

Edit: also picked up some Sony wireless pulse headphones without realizing they need a USB dongle, thought they were Bluetooth.
I would have just resold the Shure.

Mercutio

Well at the moment i don't have a dedicated soundcard but my Mobo seems to have decent sound on-board (it has a built in dac).

The AudioEngine D1 is about half the price, and i'm not that fussed about it being a DAC/AMP all in one.

At the moment i think my headphones need some additional amplification.

All motherboards have a built-in DAC. It's what turns 0's and 1's into analog sound. The issue is that it is sharing space in close proximity to things that take a lot of power, and make a lot of noise (digital and literal).

Get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RPD7KP8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And run the Digital Optical out to it. Takes care of your amplification needs too.

HiResDes

I still think the Schiit Fulla would be a good bet and more than enough for his needs if he's just driving some X2.

Mercutio

I still think the Schiit Fulla would be a good bet and more than enough for his needs if he's just driving some X2.

Oooh, yeah, that is a good deal. I've had the FiiO for years and use it both on the road and at home, but the Schiit is probably a better match to his needs.

Sheik

Thank you, HiResDes! I ended up going with the Final Audio Heaven II because it was the most convenient to get and the build quality looked solid. They sound pretty good, too :).

FoxSpirit

Oh, I just wanted to scold OP for not including the Blox M2C earbuds because next to the Sennheiser, they are as good, much cheaper and have a much better fit. Turns out they are OOP but there are two new models:
the BE3 and BE7.
Reviews are mixed so I still suggest hunting around for the M2C, they are cheap.

HiResDes

Oh, I just wanted to scold OP for not including the Blox M2C earbuds because next to the Sennheiser, they are as good, much cheaper and have a much better fit. Turns out they are OOP but there are two new models:
the BE3 and BE7.
Reviews are mixed so I still suggest hunting around for the M2C, they are cheap.
Hahaha they used to be in the OP... I don't understand why Blox decided to make their products so hard to get.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Woo, finished my AKG k551 removable cable project. That was a really fun project actually.

Still sounds the same so I'm going to assume that I didn't fuck up majorly. Also haven't listened to it for awhile due to taking it apart and all that but goddamn I've nearly forgotten how good these sound. Not for bassheads but they're such a nice, clean, detailed pair of headphones.

GAF, I'm looking for a budget wireless headset. It must be compatible with the PS3 (which should not be a problem) and possibly it should cost no more that 50 euros. Any suggestion?

Armaly

Do you guys have any experience setting up audio for streams? Trying to have it so my ts audio only goes to my headphones and doesn't end up on stream. A friend recommended me virtual audio cable but it works but not for everything. Some games don't like it when I set up a separate line for it.

number11

Can't believe i'm at the point where i'm considering buying a pair of Shure se846s. What other top of the line universal IEMs should i look into?

JoeMartin

My LCD-2s came back today. They kept the original Brazilian rosewood rings and installed new Fazor elements and earpads on them. There's a lot of debate over LCD-2.2 vs LCD-2F, and while I can't do a side-by-side the difference isn't immediately apparent if there is one. The new ear pads are definitely more plush than the originals that I had tho.

My HD600s surprised me while they got a guest workout, but I'm happy to be back.

Can't believe i'm at the point where i'm considering buying a pair of Shure se846s. What other top of the line universal IEMs should i look into?

Would be useful to know what type of signatures you enjoy or what characteristics you're lookin for. There have been quite a few significant additions to the market since the 846 debuted. I've never actually felt as though the 846 was exceptional in any one area. It's a decent all rounder with great build quality tho I guess

HiResDes

Yeah I'd think he'd have to consider stuff like the Angies, Noble 4S,1964-V6, 1Plus2, Parterre, and possibly going custom at that price range right with something like the Unique Melody Miracle.

Although I'd be really curios how much better they are than lower priced flagships like the Dunu 2000J, Fidue A83, and Ortofon E-Q8.

Azuardo

Hey guys, I've been directed to this topic to hopefully help with my search for a new headset/headphones primarily for PS4 gaming.

Two things I really am looking for - good bass and a good mic. If I have to resort to getting good headphones and then a mic separately, I'm willing to do that if it's the best way.

I've heard that for gaming you want a good soundstage more than good bass, though, and that you lose good soundstage if going for good bass. I don't play competitive FPS, so would I still be good to look for bass as my priority, or is it still preferrable to look for good soundstage and sacrifice some bass?

I've had some models suggested to me, but was also directed here for possible suggestions on more. Some of the ones mentioned are: Senheisser HD598, Beyerdynamic DT990, Audio-Technica AD700 and QPAD85/90 (supposedly, HD598 lacks bass, whilst DT990 has more bass?).

Spent the last week researching and getting annoyed - every time I think I've found a good one, I read reviews saying either bass or mic is crap, and I'm back to square one again. Would greatly appreciate some help to finally settle on something. If I have to go higher than £100 I'll consider it, but looking around the <£100 range, ideally.

Massive thanks to anyone that can help - it's driving me nuts!

HiResDes

The AD700 have both the widest soundstage and least amount of bass of the bunch so you might want to cross those out. The DT990 have both good bass and soundstage and are your price range looking on Amazon.co.uk, but really sound best when amped a bit, which will bring your overall cost up. The 598s are really bass neutral and have a good soundstage, you'll still probably find them bass light and therefore should avoid if that's the sound signature you're used to... I don't think you're gonna find an open headphone that will meet your bass expectations in the price range besides the DT990 which really sound better amped. Therefore I'd recommend a closed headphone with good bass and a decent soundstage like the Creative Aurvana Live 2 or Superlux Evo.

Top Bottom