• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Izayoi

Banned
Alright headphone GAF, I need some recommendations.

My home setup is pretty much perfect for me, HE-500s and a WooAudio WA6.

Knowing that, what would you recommend for a good set of portable closed phones? I listen primarily to electronic music, with some indie shit and the occasional modern classical piece thrown in.

I will be using them primarily during my commute (via bus), which is honestly the most time I spend listening to music nowadays, sadly... I'm looking to upgrade from my IEMs, which are great, but they just can't replicate the comfort and quality of a good pair of headphones.

With or without amp, I'm not too concerned either way, but I will say I'm not looking to spend more than $1000 for both. Hit me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You mean in the price range, the AKG Y50 and Beyerdynamic 350p are pretty good.
Nah, they need to be light for convenience and open so I can still hear traffic. It seems like I was right that PortaPros and PX100 (now on rev2 it seems) are the only things holding down that fort in terms of quality. Such a shame the Sony line failed or were just abandoned. They were sooo good and half the price of the other two.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Those are way too huge. It seems that lightweights are going the way of the dodo because of IEMs.

Azuardo

Most open headphones are going to have better soundstage, no question about that, but the closed headphones I recommended have good soundstage for being closed and sport good bass as well, though neither are detail retrieval monsters.

I think the Fidelio X1 would be the absolute best headphone for you, but it's just slightly out of your price range. If you're okay with doing a little pad changing the semi open Somic MH463 are fantastic sounding headphones, but have really uncomfortable stock pads. The Turtle Beach X12 pads are cheap and fit making them a bit more comfortable. Or you could splurge for some HM5 velour. If you're down to do a little work you'll have a headphone that sounds 80 percent as good as the HD650 and X1/X2. Both the X1 and Somic have bass and fairly wide soundstage, while sporting decent detail. The Samson SR850 is another good semi open option though it's treble can prove to be quite sibilant with some types of music and sounds.

Another option would be to go with a balanced closed headphone if you're worried about losing out on detail. You should be able to find the Brainwavz Hm5 well within your price, which sports a well balanced sound with just enough bass to add warmth for movies and games. The soundstage on them is also fairly good for a closed headphone. The AKG K550 has a similar sound, but the pads are harder to get a seal with for some ears.

As for the mic, you can add a cheap Zalman or more expensive Antlion ModMic to most of the headphones.

Edit: Those indeed were the headphones I was talk about.

Hey man, just wanna say thanks for the help. I splashed out and went with the Fidelio X1 - a brand new/sealed one off ebay, since it looks to be out of manufacture now, and the Amazon ones were pricey or came from China/HK, which put me off, knowing the bad experiences of buying goods from there. So yeah, found a new one for £160 on ebay, and it's definitely a quality piece of kit - really impressed so far. So just a quick one to say a big thanks for the suggestion and help :)

HiResDes

Hey man, just wanna say thanks for the help. I splashed out and went with the Fidelio X1 - a brand new/sealed one off ebay, since it looks to be out of manufacture now, and the Amazon ones were pricey or came from China/HK, which put me off, knowing the bad experiences of buying goods from there. So yeah, found a new one for £160 on ebay, and it's definitely a quality piece of kit - really impressed so far. So just a quick one to say a big thanks for the suggestion and help :)
Oh man awesome news if you need a mic the V-MODA Boompro pairs well with them. It's exactly what I'm using for gaming right now.

HiResDes

Comparing IEMs to full sized headphones is so odd to me. Like they sound so different especially in the way details are presented.

I tend to agree, as they both have their sets of strengths and weaknesses. (Although I'm sure most here know how I feel in regard to just how well some of the cream of the crop IEMs stack up to their full sized counter parts) I just thought it was interesting that Flare delivered a product of this caliber on their first effort. If you follow Piskor's reviews, it's pretty obvious that the Flares have really changed how he feels about full sized cans at least subconsciously as he also brought up the Flares in his Z7 review and even goes as far as to state that audio companies will have to evolve or die when a product like the Flare IEM can go toe to toe with a full sized can and just make a mockery of it.

By comparison to Flare Audio’s brand new $330us R2A IEM’s, Sony’s full size Z7 falls immensely short in the realism factor and solidity offered in its presentation. I’ve never known earbuds to achieve form factor on such a level before that could destroy a full size set of headphones that most people found to offer a nice amount of density and weight carried… As mentioned, most dynamic headphone drivers just don’t offer that Planar-like substance factor and in the case of the Z7, it was bested by some little IEM’s from a brand new company.

What upsets me a great deal is that my $600 Flare R2Pro iems slaughtered this Z7 in every way so severely, that I am not sure how to accurately scribe the words into text for you all to read. There is a huge sense of fidelity quality that bridged the gap between what the Z7 has to offer and the new generation of similarly priced iems from innovative companies like Flare Audio…but that doesn’t really mean much, the Fostex TH600, Fidelio L2, K550, Focal Classic, AKG K267 and similar under $600 great headphones that I own that are full sized all paled in comparison to the R2Pro iem from Flare Audio. Everyone has to improve their game if they want to stay alive in the next few years.

- From this Z7 review: http://headfonics.com/2015/06/the-mdr-z7-by-sony/

Again, never heard the Flares, so he could be off the mark, but there's gotta be some grain of truth there, since all of the cans that he's referencing aren't exactly budget phones.

Bodacious

Banned
Spent some bucks today on vacation here in Kyoto at the Bic Camera. Bought myself the Sony MDR-MA900 (lightweight open cans with 70mm drivers) and the Audio-Technica ATH-IM02. Also bought my son (he's 22yo) the ATH-MSR7. Don't know if I'm gonna pretend to be a discerning audiophile and post SQ reviews, but anyone with questions about the ma900 or im02 can pm me in a few weeks ( after we're back home).

aznpxdd

What I've been messing around with:

Note 4 connect to Creative E5 via bluetooth aptX or USB out (sound pretty close) and line out to Cayin C5 to Beyer T51i's.

loAnnY7.jpg

I've also got a VorzAmp Pure II+ coming in a couple days to pair with my DX90 and IE800 & SE846. Can't freakin' wait!!

Bodacious

Banned
Awesome pickups!

Thx Des. Should be major upgrades from the AD700 and Gumy's I've been using. Little jealous of my son for the MSR7 - things look/feel like the Lexus of headphones, and if they have the AT house sound like the ES7 I had a few years back (that one went to my son too) they'll definitely kick ass. Not for me though - I had an epiphany a few years ago that when I use full size headphones, open is the way.

HiResDes

Thx Des. Should be major upgrades from the AD700 and Gumy's I've been using. Little jealous of my son for the MSR7 - things look/feel like the Lexus of headphones, and if they have the AT house sound like the ES7 I had a few years back (that one went to my son too) they'll definitely kick ass. Not for me though - I had an epiphany a few years ago that when I use full size headphones, open is the way.

Not an upgrade in terms of soundstage from the AD700, and about the same clarity wise. The Sony's have more bass and I prefer their mids though. So I wouldn't expect a huge leap.

Bodacious

Banned
Not an upgrade in terms of soundstage from the AD700, and about the same clarity wise. The Sony's have more bass and I prefer their mids though. So I wouldn't expect a huge leap.

Ergos will be an improvement if nothing else. I've seen praise for the "AD" line being comfortable but I can't agree. Cups don't have the full range of motion like almost all other headphones and those "wing" pads are a physical annoyance and screw up your hair pretty bad. I tried on the ma900 and couldn't stop the grin.

Edit: I should explain about that 'full range of motion' comment . . . It's difficult to describe in words but the earcups on the ATH-ADxxx series lack one type of rotational swivel. For me, this has always meant that I either accept the pads pressing hard against my head just below the earlobe and not even touching my head above the ear (which means the drivers are canted at an upward angle against my ears), or else freakishly bending the headband(s) so it fits. That design flaw (IMHO) is why I did not just upgrade to the ad1000x.

Sent my HE-560s into Hififiman as they had developed a buzzing on the right side. Great customer service, fast shipping of replacement once they had received my old pair. Replacement just arrived. The right side of the new pair flat out do not work. No sound. Fuck.

Any suggestions? Loose connector pin? Not the cables as I've been using them with my He-400s while I was waiting for the replacements. Plug either the left or right cable into the left side and it's all good but neither work on the right. Tried two other sets and it's the same issue.

Just really don't want to send them right back, such a hassle.

Bloodember

Sent my HE-560s into Hififiman as they had developed a buzzing on the right side. Great customer service, fast shipping of replacement once they had received my old pair. Replacement just arrived. The right side of the new pair flat out do not work. No sound. Fuck.

Any suggestions? Not the cables as I've been using them with my He-400s while I was waiting for the replacements. Plug either the left or right cable into the left side and it's all good but neither work on the right. Tried two other sets and it's the same issue.

Reminder of the connector type.

Just really don't want to send them right back, such a hassle.
Sounds like you got a bad pair, send them back. I'd push for them to pay shipping back to them though, since they sent you the bad pair of cans.

bedlamite

Just auditioned a pair of Oppo PM-3s...my god. These sound absolutely glorious even plugged into my phone, I can't imagine how they'll sound on a proper desktop setup.

Cryst

Just auditioned a pair of Oppo PM-3s...my god. These sound absolutely glorious even plugged into my phone, I can't imagine how they'll sound on a proper desktop setup.

Just picked up a pair myself, along with the HA-2 amp. Great combo and compliments the PM-3 well. My only complaint would be that the HA-2 connection to the media device doesn't lend itself well to being portable on-the-go amp.

I still regret getting the white Oppo PM3s just because I'm always so deathly afraid of getting them dirty. Should have gone for black.

Gorgeous and sound great though.

HiResDes

Thanks, leaning toward the Sony's. The soundmagics are open back, I have a pair of Shure 1840's which I love. As for the Yamaha's, don't like the non detachable cord. My closed backs now have that and I snag them all the time, rather have detachable, so I can replace it. My closed backs now are Shure 550dj.

I meant the Soundmagic 150s my apologies.

Yeah keeping mine for life they made me realize how important balance truly is and that bass really sounds better when well integrated into the mix rather than emphasized.

Yeah they're phenomenal phones and oh so rare mix of SQ, build quality, comfort and decent pricing. Usually it's a pick two sort of deal.

So that Michael Piskor guy just dropped this review of the Flare Audios on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/YhSpj9I6TTc

I just finished watching it. He does sound mighty convincing and goes into great detail on both. I actually have both Flares on order from the KS campaign and I plan on selling the R2A to a friend on HF after I get a listen to both. They share a very similar form factor to the Rockets that's for sure. The video review was positively glowing and he references some seriously heavy weight phones in it. If these aren't all that and a bag of chips I don't think anyone will ever take this dude seriously ever again. I mean that's the extent of his raving.

Anywho, Flare has apparently begun shipping so I'll hopefully have them in hand in the next two weeks or so. I'll comment on both and the veracity of his review after I've had some time with them. If he's even being halfway truthful about these, fuck man.

Finally got the funds to buy a good pair of headphones. Got $250 in gift cards on Amazon so I'm looking to buy something to replace my Pulse Elites (Which are starting to crack).

I see the Fidelio X1s are $200 but are there some others to consider? I listen to Hip-Hop, R&B and Rock mainly, but a little of everything else as well. I plan to use these a little for gaming too.

HiResDes

Finally got the funds to buy a good pair of headphones. Got $250 in gift cards on Amazon so I'm looking to buy something to replace my Pulse Elites (Which are starting to crack).

I see the Fidelio X1s are $200 but are there some others to consider? I listen to Hip-Hop, R&B and Rock mainly, but a little of everything else as well. I plan to use these a little for gaming too.
If you're okay with open headphones they're a good pick for sure.

HiResDes

Okay cool. Still weighing some stuff.

Any suggestions to some closed ones?
I think the Soundmagic HP150, ADL H118, Beats Solo 2 or Audio Technica M50x would be a good choice. I'm not a huge fan of the M50x, but with the genres you listen to it might be a good choice. The Sennheiser Amperior would also be an excellent choice if you're cool with going for an on-ear.

number11

Anyone else have the problem where the fidelio's pads bleed? If i leave them on a white surface or bed sheet, a blue stain always appears.

I think the Soundmagic HP150, ADL H118, Beats Solo 2 or Audio Technica M50x would be a good choice. I'm not a huge fan of the M50x, but with the genres you listen to it might be a good choice. The Sennheiser Amperior would also be an excellent choice if you're cool with going for an on-ear.

Awesome. Final question is do you do think the X1 has enough bass for Hip-Hop in comparison to the closed backs you named or should I spring for the other options?

HiResDes

They definitely have enough bass IMO, but I'm not a bass head anymore at all so might be asking the wrong guy. I listen to a lot of hip hop though.

They definitely have enough bass IMO, but I'm not a bass head anymore at all so might be asking the wrong guy. I listen to a lot of hip hop though.

Thanks for your help. Went ahead and ordered some X1s. I'm sure they'll be great. This is the most money I've spent on some headphones. =D

Hi all, Been using Sennheiser rs130 for the better part of a decade now and they are finally kicking the can (pun intended :)). Are there any upgrades that don't involve going the Bluetooth route? I am aware the Sennheiser RS route seems to have fallen into the dust but has anyone else carried the torch on a non Bluetooth route?

Edit: I should probably note this is for gaming use primarily so the idea being i plug a base station in some way into the sound card and go wireless from that. Wired I would prefer to avoid at this point as I like to walk around the house with the headphones on.

21GunShow

Neo Member
Hello Headphone-GAF. I recently got a pair of MDR-7506's a few weeks ago. I'm new to all of this, and I am at a loss as to what i should listen to on them. Any recommendations of well mastered songs to put these to the test?

LegendX48

So, the headband on my Beyerdynamic DTX 350p snapped and I'm looking to replace them with something sturdier in the same price range, more or less. Any recommendations?

edit: How are the sennheiser Urbanite on-ears?

Giggzy

I just bought some skullcandy earbuds and OMG what an eargasm I'm getting for the first time! I couldn't have done it without you all!

I'm just kidding! :)

I actually just bought a pair of HD598's and wowza, what a massive difference they are compared to the JVC S680's I was using. The difference is night and day, and this is with crappy stereo output from the Xbox/PS4.

My next purchase will be a DAC/Amp but I'm still slightly confused about them after reading the OP. Is it recommended to get both? Just a DAC? Just an Amp? If I only purchased one, which would be more beneficial without having the other? This is for console gaming if that matters.

Got my X1s yesterday and goodness they sound amazing. Just been listening to everything I can. lol

Do these go well with any other equipment? A specific amp or anything?

aznpxdd

Damn this little stack sounds amazing...

DX90 & VorzAmp Pure II+

Thinking of picking a pair of JH Roxanne to go along with this set up. Even though I already got IE800 and SE846's >.<

Skip Roxy unless all you care about is bass. Pick up the Angie instead. It makes mincemeat out of both the IE800 and the SE846. Do be aware of build/quality control issues though. JHA is AWFUL with that. I've been pestering a friend of mine to pick up the Angie cause he's a huge UERM fan and when he finally did, the damn thing came with channel imbalance and shitty looking carbon fibre weave, just like one of my first units:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread/195#post_11713519

Top Bottom