• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Ashhong

Hey guys, just picked up the Sennheiser 558 but I'm not sure if I really need them. I have M50x and Beats Studio 2.0, so I figured the open 558 would be a nice change. Should I keep them??? Only 80$ so I thought why not. I love music and love having good headphones but I don't want to spend a fortune on anything too fancy.

It's been a while since I've gone over my setup. I only use a Fiio E11 as a portable amp, and for my PC I connect my headphones into a Logitech speaker setup, which plugs into a Asus Xonar DG soundcard on my PC. By going through the speaker setup am I basically using 2 amps? Should I refine my setup?

HiResDes

I don't think they're too demanding you might be fine. And you could always invest in something like a Fulla 2 later if you feel that setup is inadequate.

nitewulf

I don't think there's a "good" portable headphone because most that are good aren't really that portable. In most cases, I think IEMs can be better for the price, such as the Campfire Audio Orion.

If you're in New York, how far is B&H from you? I imagine they'd have plenty of demo stock of IEMs and portable headphones.
You are probably absolutely right, and I do have what I consider to be a very good IEM, it's old but quite good, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10. Problem is its a hassle with IEMs and ear bud type phones and the NYC commute during rush hour...grabbing a coffee on the go, taking out the IEM from one ear which can fall straight down...they are just a bit fragile for the active commute. That's precisely why I am looking for a sturdy pair of phones which can rest on my neck if I need to listen to announcements or talk to someone. I'm planning to check out a few smaller shops as well as B&H.

Ashhong

I don't think they're too demanding you might be fine. And you could always invest in something like a Fulla 2 later if you feel that setup is inadequate.

That looks pretty nice, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

But for the meantime...is there any issue with plugging headphones into my speakers and then the speakers into the soundcard/amp? Read somewhere that basically having 2 "amps" messes with the sound

matmanx1

The Fostex TH-610 is just plain bad value. Relatively intrusive bass that bleeds into the midrange, uneven treble, very expensive. The E-Mu Teak or Fostex TH-X00 are better value tunings that use the same Fostex driver.

The Oppo PM3 is pretty nice and even sounding but there's some product variation and the soundstage is pretty claustrophobic.

I don't think there's a "good" portable headphone because most that are good aren't really that portable. In most cases, I think IEMs can be better for the price, such as the Campfire Audio Orion.

If you're in New York, how far is B&H from you? I imagine they'd have plenty of demo stock of IEMs and portable headphones.

Campire Audio Orion looks pretty good and the price is nice. I need to check them out.

nitewulf

But for the meantime...is there any issue with plugging headphones into my speakers and then the speakers into the soundcard/amp? Read somewhere that basically having 2 "amps" messes with the sound

No you're fine. The soundcard is outputting a line level signal which is amplified by your speakers, the soudncard isn't an amplifier. And the speakers with headphone outs are meant to drive headphones.

Antiwhippy, that's true. May be I'll just keep using the IEMs for a bit.

Tommy DJ

You are probably absolutely right, and I do have what I consider to be a very good IEM, it's old but quite good, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10. Problem is its a hassle with IEMs and ear bud type phones and the NYC commute during rush hour...grabbing a coffee on the go, taking out the IEM from one ear which can fall straight down...they are just a bit fragile for the active commute. That's precisely why I am looking for a sturdy pair of phones which can rest on my neck if I need to listen to announcements or talk to someone. I'm planning to check out a few smaller shops as well as B&H.

If you have some Ultimate Ears, just do what Antiwhippy says. They probably sound better than the majority of options you're looking at.

If you're really looking at portable headphones, some of your best options include:
- Oppo PM3, which is relatively smooth sounding but suffers from product variation and has less soundstage than a closet.
- Focal Spirit Professional, which has a downward slopping sound signature but with a 10khz peak to retain some of that air. It sounds good but the problem is that it has a tendency to snap due to materials/design used.
- Audeze Sine, which is a mostly downward slopping headphone save for a broad bump starting at 1khz. The iOS only Cipher cable, which is an amp/DAC combo with an EQ DSP module, is probably needed to de-emphase that 1khz bump if it bothers you.
- Beyerdynamic DT1350, which has been described as a box of chocolates because every single driver is different. Some are brighter than the sun, some have no bass, some have a crapload of distortion, some are excellent sounding.
- Koss KSC-35/75 or PortaPro. Dirt cheap, V-shaped but tuned in such a way that it isn't really bothersome, lifetime warranty. Those cheap and light wire headbands you get from airplane headphones are a perfect fit with the driver enclosures if the earclips are uncomfortable.

After playing around the with Campfire Audio Andromedas and Sony EX-800s, I again think portable headphones aren't that functional. Portable audiophile headphones I've found generally sound like crap, have too much product variation, aren't portable at all due to design and weight, don't work with your ears because you're unable to maintain a good seal which is needed for proper bass response, and can be pretty fragile.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hey headphone-gaf, have been thinking of getting into the premium IEM game, is this a good offer or should I wait for the Massdrop?

dMS84U1.jpg

Linius

Have to say, 3 dollars is pretty cheap. Usually they charge like 7,50 euros on the flights I'm on.

But yeah, I'd say go for it. Premium headphones is the way to go in 2017.

Ashhong

No you're fine. The soundcard is outputting a line level signal which is amplified by your speakers, the soudncard isn't an amplifier. And the speakers with headphone outs are meant to drive headphones.

Antiwhippy, that's true. May be I'll just keep using the IEMs for a bit.

You sure? I'm pretty sure there is an amp on this Xonar DG. It's why I bought it in the first place. Product page says "built in headphone amp"

I don't think there is a line level out on it, only headphone out.

leng jai

Your sound card does have an amp if sorts in it. In any case you shouldn't be plugging any decent headphones into the headphone out of Logitexh speakers, they are absolute trash sources in general.

Ashhong

Your sound card does have an amp if sorts in it. In any case you shouldn't be plugging any decent headphones into the headphone out of Logitexh speakers, they are absolute trash sources in general.

Ah...ok. Only do it because it's convenient and I originally thought it was basically a line level output.

I will probably get myself a splitter and extension cable so I can connect both headphone and speaker into the soundcard. Is there a brand or quality I should look for here so that I don't get any interference or other loss of quality? Gold plated? Does that shit matter?

Edit: it seems a splitter woild indeed cause issues, which makes sense since the power would be split at all times. How about a 3.5mm switch box?

Linius

14 dollars for a beer and a sandwich though
JzKGOjM.png

When I fly to London with British Airways I get a beer and bag of crisps included.

HiResDes

Hey headphone-gaf, have been thinking of getting into the premium IEM game, is this a good offer or should I wait for the Massdrop?

dMS84U1.jpg
You should make a dsonuts or whatever his name is style thread on headfi hyping up the sound quality of those that would make my day

Jay Sosa

hola

looking for over ear with:

great sound
good isolation
good comfort

price range: up to 150

looking for accuracy rather than bass.

will only use them at home so portability isn't much of an issue.

Thanks!

KRK KNS8400

I have these on my wishlist I own krk monitors so i've been curious to hear what they sound like. The pads look rather thin are they removable?

I would recommend the T40rp mk3 you can change the pads and modified the sound more to your liking.

thanks!

NotSelf

KRK KNS8400

I have these on my wishlist I own krk monitors so i've been curious to hear what they sound like. The pads look rather thin are they removable?

I would recommend the T40rp mk3 you can change the pads and modified the sound more to your liking.

To amend my question from the previous page regarding a JVC HA-S500 upgrade, I'm wondering--should I just get replacement pads instead? The stock pads don't breathe very much, and there isn't enough cushioning to be comfortable for long.

HiResDes

The pads are fine, more than fine really, damn comfortable considering their made of memory foam and in terms of being balanced they're much more balanced than the Fostex probably even with mods.

nitewulf

judging by the looks they should still be light years better than the apple earbuds.

So I checked out the Fostex TH610, Oppo PM3, Audeze Sine, a Beyerdynamic model around $250 and a Klipsh model around $250.

The BD and Klipsh were way too hot, but I could see why people would like them...I mean they were forward and vibrant and if you are coming off of $15 ear buds and use your phone and mp3s as main source, I guess they'd sound terrific. But I couldn't really take them.

The Sine was very boxed in, but it was pretty flat at that, but dull.

The Oppo, honestly is pretty damn good for what it is, and I should have just stopped here.

The Fostex blew everything else away, it's dynamic, big, highly resolving and so coherent and smooth...I mean I have an uber stereo setup at home, so I'm used to very high quality sound. These phones have it. But they are so, so, ridiculously BIG...grrr

So I settled and went with the Oppo. Travelling and listening to music will never be audiophile quality anyway due to ambient noise, just wish I hadn't tried out the Fostex.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Fostex blew everything else away, it's dynamic, big, highly resolving and so coherent and smooth...I mean I have an uber stereo setup at home, so I'm used to very high quality sound. These phones have it. But they are so, so, ridiculously BIG...grrr

So I settled and went with the Oppo. Travelling and listening to music will never be audiophile quality anyway due to ambient noise, just wish I hadn't tried out the Fostex.

You and me man. You and me.

Still have that sweet Fostex sound at work tho

Sorta wavering on my desire to buy the Audeze LCD-2s. I'm kinda eyeballing the HD800 now.

As someone how doesn't do any kind of professional audio work, and has a pretty narrow taste in music, would these be a better buy? The talk of Audeze's poor build quality is sorta putting me off, but more than that, I'm a sucker for highly detailed sound. I'm kinda going back and for between wanting a more laid-back sound, and going for what I know and love.

Sorta wavering on my desire to buy the Audeze LCD-2s. I'm kinda eyeballing the HD800 now.

As someone how doesn't do any kind of professional audio work, and has a pretty narrow taste in music, would these be a better buy? The talk of Audeze's poor build quality is sorta putting me off, but more than that, I'm a sucker for highly detailed sound. I'm kinda going back and for between wanting a more laid-back sound, and going for what I know and love.

Given how cheap you can find the HD800 now because the S model is out it is an amazing bang for your buck headphone. Have you had the chance to listen to both? I know that the build quality of Audeze is all over the place.

Given how cheap you can find the HD800 now because the S model is out it is an amazing bang for your buck headphone. Have you had the chance to listen to both? I know that the build quality of Audeze is all over the place.

I've heard both only briefly, and a few years ago. I do remember liking both, but it's been so long I can't remember too much about them, aside from their general sound signature. I might have to make my way out to ALO or Echo Audio in Portland to try them out again before I throw down so much cash...

I've heard both only briefly, and a few years ago. I do remember liking both, but it's been so long I can't remember too much about them, aside from their general sound signature. I might have to make my way out to ALO or Echo Audio in Portland to try them out again before I throw down so much cash...

Going to ALO in person? That is freaking awesome and you should do that for the experience plus auditioning gear is always better.

Going to ALO in person? That is freaking awesome and you should do that for the experience plus auditioning gear is always better.

I think you need to make a reservation or something, though. They used to run 32 Ohm Audio as their proper store front, but they ended up shutting that down. That's where I first heard the LCD-2s and HD800s.

It was a really neat experience, going there. They just had thousands of dollars of headphones and amps everywhere, and were super casual about you just picking them up and listening to them. It wasn't like a store, it almost felt more like a meet-up or something. It was kinda funny seeing people walk in, stroll right past the HD800s, and pick up the Beats Studios and buy them without even looking at anything else.

I never cared for the LCD-2 I had with the 2016 drivers. Wonky upper mids and treble and too much variation between drivers. Hd800 with the right equipment is endgame for me.

LCD-2 can be had for $500 used, don't pay a penny more.

Hd800 can be found for ~$700. Well worth that price.

matmanx1

I never cared for the LCD-2 I had with the 2016 drivers. Wonky upper mids and treble and too much variation between drivers. Hd800 with the right equipment is endgame for me.

LCD-2 can be had for $500 used, don't pay a penny more.

Hd800 can be found for ~$700. Well worth that price.

I think I would be more curious about the LCD-3 w/ Fazor's as they are supposed to be smoother sounding all the way around. That being said, 2 grand for a new pair is eye-watering to think about.

I need to find a high end audio store in the Atlanta area where I can go demo some stuff. It would be a highly beneficial thing to do.

Edit - Looks like you can find the LCD-3 used for $~1100 via Ebay. That begs the question (in my mind, at least) would that money still be better spent on a new Focal Elear (which is a dynamic driver and not a planar magnetic so not exactly apples to apples) if you wanted a great sounding pair of HP's for about a grand?

CPCunha

Hello there!

My beloved German Maestro's cable is falling apart and i need a re-cabling service. Can you guys point me to a reliable one? I'm not looking for cables more expensive than the headphones itself but i'd love to get the option for detachable.

Thanks in advance!

NotSelf

Hello there!

My beloved German Maestro's cable is falling apart and i need a re-cabling service. Can you guys point me to a reliable one? I'm not looking for cables more expensive than the headphones itself but i'd love to get the option for detachable.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if the person will work on your model but they do work on detachable cables mainly the TH-X00 but you can contact them on head-fi or here.

I think I would be more curious about the LCD-3 w/ Fazor's as they are supposed to be smoother sounding all the way around. That being said, 2 grand for a new pair is eye-watering to think about.

I need to find a high end audio store in the Atlanta area where I can go demo some stuff. It would be a highly beneficial thing to do.

Edit - Looks like you can find the LCD-3 used for $~1100 via Ebay. That begs the question (in my mind, at least) would that money still be better spent on a new Focal Elear (which is a dynamic driver and not a planar magnetic so not exactly apples to apples) if you wanted a great sounding pair of HP's for about a grand?

You can absolutely compare a dynamic to a planar, who cares about driver material, as long as the driver is well designed. Ignore planar trolls on hype-fi who think that planar drivers is some sort of brand new tech and superior to dynamics.

I'd find someone willing to negotiate the LCD-3 down to $1k, though I would still personally go for an Elear or hd800. The 3 still has wonkiness from the upper mids on up just as the 2 does and driver variation is just as bad. Whoever told you fazor tech is smooth is lying or got a rare unicorn.

If you do buy one, find a pre fazor or a build from 2016+. The early fazor models across the entire Audeze lineup was crap.

The $1k segment actually is starting to get some competition now. My recommendations on what to get ears on and try if you can would be:

1)Hd800
2)Elear
3)ZMF Atticus and Eikon (Eikon is $1.3k)
4)HE560 (lol Hifiman, but these can be found super cheap used and sound great if the drivers don't fail you)
5)ZMF Ori (originally called Omni. Can also be found cheap used and great quality planar)
6)Screw all of this and buy a 650/6xx if you don't already have one ;)

The Atticus & Eikon are the only ones I haven't owned at some point (these are new headphones), so just keep an eye out for impressions and measurements when they start shipping out next month. I'll have an Eikon myself and will post impressions. Though be prepared to filter out a lot of noise (crap reviews) since these are brand new to the market.

matmanx1

You can absolutely compare a dynamic to a planar, who cares about driver material, as long as the driver is well designed. Ignore planar trolls on hype-fi who think that planar drivers is some sort of brand new tech and superior to dynamics.

I'd find someone willing to negotiate the LCD-3 down to $1k, though I would still personally go for an Elear or hd800. The 3 still has wonkiness from the upper mids on up just as the 2 does and driver variation is just as bad. Whoever told you fazor tech is smooth is lying or got a rare unicorn.

If you do buy one, find a pre fazor or a build from 2016+. The early fazor models across the entire Audeze lineup was crap.

The $1k segment actually is starting to get some competition now. My recommendations on what to get ears on and try if you can would be:

1)Hd800
2)Elear
3)ZMF Atticus and Eikon (Eikon is $1.3k)
4)HE560 (lol Hifiman, but these can be found super cheap used and sound great if the drivers don't fail you)
5)ZMF Ori (originally called Omni. Can also be found cheap used and great quality planar)
6)Screw all of this and buy a 650/6xx if you don't already have one ;)

The Atticus & Eikon are the only ones I haven't owned at some point (these are new headphones), so just keep an eye out for impressions and measurements when they start shipping out next month. I'll have an Eikon myself and will post impressions. Though be prepared to filter out a lot of noise (crap reviews) since these are brand new to the market.

Thank you, that's very helpful information. I'm on a list to demo the Elear for a week and hopefully that will be happening within the next 30 days. I'm genuinely curious what the gains will be going from my ~$200 MA900 and ~$300 Meze 99 Classics to the ~$1k range, if I was so inclined to spend that amount of money.

I'm blessed to have enough disposable income that I can be thrifty for a few paychecks and spend the money for something like an Elear but I would only want to do so if the upgrade was worth it (and I know "worth it" is an incredibly subjective term) to my ears.

Thank you, that's very helpful information. I'm on a list to demo the Elear for a week and hopefully that will be happening within the next 30 days. I'm genuinely curious what the gains will be going from my ~$200 MA900 and ~$300 Meze 99 Classics to the ~$1k range, if I was so inclined to spend that amount of money.

I'm blessed to have enough disposable income that I can be thrifty for a few paychecks and spend the money for something like an Elear but I would only want to do so if the upgrade was worth it (and I know "worth it" is an incredibly subjective term) to my ears.

More money rarely ever equates to better performance in this hobby after an hd650.

If you really like your Meze, then the Elear, Ori and probably the Atticus should be on your shortlist to try.

Though honestly the hd650 competes with most of the headphones I listed at a fraction of the price. If you've never heard one, try and find a place to demo them. They are fairly common so it may not be too hard to find.

Top Bottom