• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Xander51

You choose the one you'll like more, open or closed.

Probably these.

I don't mean to pick on you as I know you're trying to help...

But the first guy is trying to pick between open headphones and an open gaming headset, so telling him to pick open vs closed doesn't help at all. The Game ZERO is Sennheiser's closed headset from that gen, and the Game One is actually open. The 598 is open too. Of those two I'd say pick the Game One and just plug it right into the PS4 controller, since it has the mic built in and that sounds important. Using the little earbud mic plugged into the controller seems annoying to me.

And that second Sony pair you linked to doesn't work wirelessly with the PS4, which doesn't support bluetooth headphones of any kind. There are a few first party headsets that'll work on PS4 with surround and PC with stereo (the gold and platinum headsets) though you'll have to switch the dongle, and there are some decent third party options like the Steelseries 800 which work through a base station but cost an arm and a leg.

Leeroy605

Glad to hear it, I meant it in the friendliest possible way! The gaming headset world is a nightmare.

Thank you both for trying to help me out.

The SteelSeries 800 looks to be exactly what I need, will look into it and see if I can find a deal as it is pricey.

Just hope the quality reduction isn't as bad as I think its going to be!

andylsun

First shell for Open Alpha Dog printed

They are rougher than professionally printed parts but for a $99 3D printer they are certainly usable.

oyKFLvkl.jpg

IqDjuksl.jpg

The parts go together well and I'm going to use silicone tape to make the connection between the halves air tight.

I ordered the 4 pin connectors from Mr Speakers and once I have both cups fully printed will order the T50's.

HiResDes

First shell for Open Alpha Dog printed

They are rougher than professionally printed parts but for a $99 3D printer they are certainly usable.

oyKFLvkl.jpg

IqDjuksl.jpg

The parts go together well and I'm going to use silicone tape to make the connection between the halves air tight.

I ordered the 4 pin connectors from Mr Speakers and once I have both cups fully printed will order the T50's.
This is so fucking cool.

chekhonte

I bought a pair of hifiman HE560's and I'm not increadibly impressed with them compared to my AKG K702's.

I don't think I'm going to strive to push that extra 5 percent in quality. It's just not worth the price tag.

I'm thinking of selling one of these headphones to get another pair more suited to studio produced music like rock since I now have two cans suited for live recordings.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just received my Custom Art Harmony 8.2 IEM's:
18d2a2-1495814875.jpg

The pic really does not do them justice, they look remarkable.

Fit seems good, only thing I can report for now is that eating while having IEM's in my ears is a no-go :D

Fou-Lu

I'm looking to get a pair of over or on ear headphones for my girlfriend for her birthday. Something under $120, good sound, but she isn't an audiophile, and they need to be stylish (an interesting colour would probably make her like them more). Any suggestions?

Anyone else have any suggestions? Her birthday is coming up and I haven't found anything that seems right yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
18d2a2-1495814875.jpg

Fit seems good, only thing I can report for now is that eating while having IEM's in my ears is a no-go :D

How's the sound?

Yeah Customart does great work design wise.

andylsun

18d2a2-1495814875.jpg

They look amazing.

I know nothing about CIEM's. Where's a good place to start with getting ear impressions and a lower priced CIEM. I'm in New England, USA

sankt-Antonio

I went to an hearing aid technician...shop or whatever its called in proper english and got my impressions made there. I found one that advertises that they do impressions for CIEM manufacturing (cost me 50€). Custom Arts has a line out thats around 300€ but for someone in the US there has to be plenty of options available.

What I found remarkable in the course of ordering and waiting for my set is that email response time with CA was like 10min max. I don't know why, but that felt really awesome.

Only used them for a short time today at band practice, they seal like a mofo. Like damn.

Will compare them to my HD800s in the coming weeks, even if its two different kind of "headphones" I guess it could be interesting for some in here.

sankt-Antonio

Meaning the sound of eating is too loud or is it to do with the fit of the IEMs?
It's just uncomfortable if the IEM pieces move around that much while eating. Singing would be okay I guess. Just not as comfy to wear while watching YouTube and eating stuff as with regular overear headphones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually i think your fit might be too tight because my previous ciem i had that issue but my current one i can eat with it inserted with no problem.

If you don't want to use it and eat at the same time though it's no big deal.

leng jai

Has anyone tried that new Dolby Atmos app on Windows 10 on their headphones? Wonder if it actually makes any difference in games.

NotSelf

The longer cable for my HD 6XX finally arrived from sennheiser for those still waiting you should be getting it soon I personally didn't really need it much since my amp sits right in front of my desk.

Anyone ever keep going back to one favourite headphone? I bought my Denon D2000 like 8 years ago for $215.... and I still use it all the time. Like a favourite pair of sneakers or hoodie.

/listening to RTJ3 :p

Jzero

Has anyone tried that new Dolby Atmos app on Windows 10 on their headphones? Wonder if it actually makes any difference in games.

You have to pay for it so i doubt many have tried it. The free (windows sonic) version sounds alright though.

NotSelf

Anyone ever keep going back to one favourite headphone? I bought my Denon D2000 like 8 years ago for $215.... and I still use it all the time. Like a favourite pair of sneakers or hoodie.

/listening to RTJ3 :p

Yep I sold my th-x00 because I prefer the sound of the D2000 and hd6xx. But I still haven't been able to find good ear pads for the D2000 the stock pads are the best. Wish fostex would make something similar to the D2000 under $300 plastic ear cups and a removable cable.

andylsun

You have to pay for it so i doubt many have tried it. The free (windows sonic) version sounds alright though.

Dolby Atmos headphone has a 30 day free trial.

Tried it last night and didn't really get much sense of 3D audio with the demo headphone videos.

Has anyone had a problem with Philips Fidelio X1/28 headphones causing discoloration when being left on top of various surfaces? I'm getting like purple color on white paper and a similar black/purple color has ruined LoZ case for my switch from where they fuzzy part of the earphones were resting on it. I've never seen such expensive headphones have such a bad problem with them...

Has anyone had a problem with Philips Fidelio X1/28 headphones causing discoloration when being left on top of various surfaces? I'm getting like purple color on white paper and a similar black/purple color has ruined LoZ case for my switch from where they fuzzy part of the earphones were resting on it. I've never seen such expensive headphones have such a bad problem with them...

Known issue

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The X2 can have the same issue. I don't know how this oversight came about, but it's there.

I just bought Bose SoundSport bluetooth earphones as my AudioTechnica ATH-IM70 Dual wires started to tear.

Man, I'm not sure I made the right choice. I was super excited about trying bluetooth headphones and how wireless is gonna change everything.

I never bought a Bose product, but I'm always super impressed by them when I try them at stores. The SoundSport sound decent, but not impressive. They fit great, but their fit allow for too much noise to come in, so you feel like you NEED sound cancelling for them to work properly. And for some wear reason, I get tired from listening with them, I think they're too high on the 'high ends'.

Anyone else tried these? Thinking of giving them to my brother and getting something else.

What do you guys recommend for earbuds? 150 budget. Comfort, and isolation are important

Leeroy605

Much to I guess the delight of everyone in this thread I managed to make wired headphones work in my setup instead of buying a wireless gaming headset and bought myself a new pair of Fidelio X2's.

Before they arrived I was researching all about them and learned about the whole Gibson/Woox debate and the supposed quality differences between the two.

Headphones came yesterday and they are Gibson (2014, x2/00 serial number, pads are NOT glued on and can be easily removed).

Tried them on the computer and first thing was no sound out of the left ear, slight fiddle with the wire and it fixed that. This doesn't happen on any other device such as my phone so not sure why that is.

Second thing bass sounded very rattly when listening to music via spotify. However this went away when I played some Battlefield 1 after and to be honest they sounded fantastic.

Have I got anything to worry about here or is the whole manufacturing thing putting bad thoughts into my head needlessly?

e90Mark

Much to I guess the delight of everyone in this thread I managed to make wired headphones work in my setup instead of buying a wireless gaming headset and bought myself a new pair of Fidelio X2's.

Before they arrived I was researching all about them and learned about the whole Gibson/Woox debate and the supposed quality differences between the two.

Headphones came yesterday and they are Gibson (2014, x2/00 serial number, pads are NOT glued on and can be easily removed).

Tried them on the computer and first thing was no sound out of the left ear, slight fiddle with the wire and it fixed that. This doesn't happen on any other device such as my phone so not sure why that is.

Second thing bass sounded very rattly when listening to music via spotify. However this went away when I played some Battlefield 1 after and to be honest they sounded fantastic.

Have I got anything to worry about here or is the whole manufacturing thing putting bad thoughts into my head needlessly?

Probably nothing to worry about. The wire isn't a big deal. If you're using the stock one, it's hella long and you probably want a shorter one anyway.

Spotify doesn't sound that great, even with Premium. When I sub'd to Tidal that sounded nice, but I couldn't justify the cost after a few months.

I bought the Focal Elear yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Not sure how so many of the reviews ignored the virtually nonexistent 4-6khz FR. I've tried using EQ and it helps but it's making the higher treble sound a bit harsh for some reason. I guess I'm back to my HD650's. I just can't find a high end headphone that I like.

I randomly picked up a pair of Pioneer SE-MS5T's recently, having enjoyed Pioneer's studio headphones in the recent past. I'm enjoying them more than I expected to for their $69 price.

I think the name is hot garbage and they don't rotate horizontally at all...but still managed to fit well on my head thanks to their highly sculpted pads. There's a wireless version too that I'm now tempted to check out.

"Mid-Fi Purgatory" forever, hah. I personally have the same amount of fun whether I'm trying out a cheap headphone or a really expensive one. I'm ultimately looking at the same things, regardless of the purchase price.

honestly I haven't heard any headphone over $500 that I loved. They all have some pretty major issues. I think if you go down that road, one headphone isn't going to do everything for you. So I don't think it's worth it atm and "mid-fi" shouldn't be a dirty word.

I think maybe the HD650 with my heavily moded crack is just so good that I'm having trouble finding anything that I would rather listen to over that combo. The reason I'm looking for something better is because I know the HD650's shortcomings in articulation, speed, and mainly soundstage and Sometimes I want more. I just don't know if it's worth it. No matter how fancy the headphone is, it just doesn't sound "right" like the sennheiser.

Good tube amplifiers on the other hand I think are totally worth it

andylsun

I was about to ask what other high end you've listened to, but you know what, it sounds like you've found the best for you (HD-650 + bottlehead) so perhaps it's time to stop looking and try to fill a different headphone gap (e.g. closed for travel or IEM).

I'm completely finished with looking at open headphones for home use. Pretty much done on IEM's (though need to try CIEM's as I do have fit issues), and my office rig and closed on-ear for mixing and gaming is all set.

The only gaps I have is over ear travel headphone and planar magnetic, and I hope the Open Alpha Dog's I'm printing will tick both of those boxes.

Tommy DJ

honestly I haven't heard any headphone over $500 that I loved. They all have some pretty major issues. I think if you go down that road, one headphone isn't going to do everything for you. So I don't think it's worth it atm and "mid-fi" shouldn't be a dirty word.

I think maybe the HD650 with my heavily moded crack is just so good that I'm having trouble finding anything that I would rather listen to over that combo. The reason I'm looking for something better is because I know the HD650's shortcomings in articulation, speed, and mainly soundstage and Sometimes I want more. I just don't know if it's worth it. No matter how fancy the headphone is, it just doesn't sound "right" like the sennheiser.

Good tube amplifiers on the other hand I think are totally worth it

HD6XX hasn't been considered mid-fi for along time, unless the definition of mid-fi is price. The driver controls extremely well, tonality is on point, imaging is perfectly fine and pretty accurate, driver consistency and matching is better than most flagship headphones, and its capabilities scale when fed better equipment able to provide the voltage it needs.

Literally the only problem is its tubby bass. Yeah, there was a period of time people mistook detail for treble peaks but that opinion doesn't exist too much anymore judging by the number of warmish implementations these days. And with that, the HD6XX has regained its spot as the obvious best of the former flagship German trio.

Top Bottom