• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams thread

Gagaman

Tried it out with the Gamecube controller rather than the Nunchuck/Remote combo. Feels MUCH better, I think I must be so used to the Satun control scheme that this feels as close to that as I can get. Kind of a shame that they didn't come up with any good Wii controls though, and the Nunchuck control simply doesn't do this game any justice. I didn't even touch that pointing control scheme, I can tell that will be rubbish. :lol

Also: Hey what do you know (havn't read this trend inside out), I didn't know there was a online race mode, that's pretty neat! This is the first Wi game I've bought wth proper online play (oh, and Endless Ocan but I haven't tried that onlne yet) :D

One more thing: Wow, the gaphics are sure varied in this. The cut scenes look like a pile of shite, then you get to a boss level which looks stunning and really well put together. They must of shoved those cut scenes in at the last minute, because it's obvious effort was put into this in places, then they rushed out other parts.

robot

Any tips for Wizeman? I just got to him in Will's story and was only able to hit his water form.

Gagaman

Oh man, what a game of ups and downs this is! One minute you can be slogging though a pointless, annoying level playing as one of the kids because NiGHTS has decided to fly off somewhere for no reason what so ever, then the next level is a work of genius in which
you play the original theme by flying into music notes in time
! This game pretty much suffers from Sonic Adventure 2 symdrome: Short Moments of brillaince samwiched between long moments of pain.

I do enjoy the Otapaw stages, because it harks back to the score attacking of the old one. Got over 300 Links in Helen's first stage the first time which was fun =)

I wish more people were on the online race mode though. =/

temjin

Banned
Innotech said:
it seems to me that enjoyment of the game relies entirely on if you were expecting a identical experience ot the original, or if you were willing to overlook some of the weaknesses in JOD just to relive that feeling of flight and looping. the game pulls off that original element VERY well. It falls short in alot of areas but for people who just want to experience a new NiGHTS adventure, I think its a good purchase. Sorry for those of you who were disappointed. I guess hype was too high and time was too short.

Play Bellbridge level and perhaps you will get that familiar feeling back. Its an amazing stage.
Well, kinda.

I wasn't expecting a game exactly the same as NiD, purely because 11 years later, a lot has changed in the gaming world.

I just wanted a new NiGHTS game that gave me the same feeling of flight through awesome, imaginitive levels filled with beautiful music.

This game delivered that, and then some.

I enjoyed the story telling of NiGHTS, the Dreamworld, Wizeman etc. I think it added a lot to the NiGHTS experience and world that we didn't know too much of previously. So, I appreciated that, even if the in-game cutscenes were horribly put together by Sega :lol

I liked the added Hub world, walking around and opening doors to enter dreams, that was nice and added to the once simplistic 'click a level' to begin.

I would have liked more NiGHTS/Chase missions, but I didn't mind the normal missions, and the platforming with the kids was also cool. Good to see them grow along the way and discover themselves :)

I could talk forever about the game, but I've had a lot of fun with it, and have enjoyed many inclusions. If Sega do intend on making a new game, I would just like some more polish, with more chase missions or more complexity in the score attack side of things.

Otherwise, great game.

I'm one VERY happy NiGHTS fan.

Gagaman

Just beat both stories (didn't take long, but it still five times longer than the original game with those extra missions). HOLY SHITE at the ending. Game redeemed! The online racing is very awesome, but I need to get a friend list going so I'm not just racing the occasional random player.

Innotech

Banned
Gagaman said:
Just beat both stories (didn't take long, but it still five times longer than the original game with those extra missions). HOLY SHITE at the ending. Game redeemed! The online racing is very awesome, but I need to get a friend list going so I'm not just racing the occasional random player.
Im not sure if the game works across regions online, but there are plenty of fans at NID forum willing to race.

Gagaman

Innotech said:
Im not sure if the game works across regions online, but there are plenty of fans at NID forum willing to race.
I presume it does, as so far I've gone against people from America, Canada and Japan, and beat them all. =P

Gagaman

Do collecting all the Dream Drops (Tear drops?) have any purpose, I keep seeing this cheat on websites that says collecting them all
unlocks the original Saturn characters
, but I'm not convinced that's true. Can anyone confirm this?

ivysaur12

Banned
Gagaman said:
Do collecting all the Dream Drops (Tear drops?) have any purpose, I keep seeing this cheat on websites that says collecting them all
unlocks the original Saturn characters
, but I'm not convinced that's true. Can anyone confirm this?

Yup, that's true.

Gagaman

Just two more Dream Drops to collect now. The one in the boat stage which you have to make a big leap (keep missing it so far. Tricky!) and the Crystal Castle chase stage where you have to activate five emeralds. I can't find the 4th one at all, and the IGN guide seems to have fluffed that part up. Help!

I just started this a few days ago... it's a game punctuated with amazingly fun segments, then excrutiatingly horrible parts... kinda like the Sonic Adventure games I guess.

A few thoughts:

Flying is still a lot of fun. I love the backgrounds on those levels, I love just being able to marvel at the sights while listening to a terrific score. The other levels are... okay. The on foot levels are just bad.

As mentioned above, the score is really great and captures the feel of what the game was trying to achieve. I'm gonna have to get the OST.

Graphics during the cutscenes are God-awful. Seriously, it looks like a crappy PS2 game, or a really good DC game. When flying, the game looks a lot better but the framerate takes a hit. Considering that MANY Wii games (Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, RE: UC) look leaps and bounds better and keep solid framerates, I can't help but wonder WTF happened.

Helen sounds retarded. Not like in a "oh she's retarded" kinda way, but seriously MR or something.

So I'm still working on it, but just some initial impressions.

hokahey

I have only beat Helen's story thus far, but I'm not really feeling compelled to beat Will's Maybe I'll catch back up on this later. Decent game. 7.0 variety IMO.

samratty

I just bought this game last week because it was going cheap and I loved the original, haven't had an amazing amount of time to play it so far (just done all the pure valley stuff).

Here's what I think so far:

- The proper Nights style gameplay stuff is great, the other stuff generally sucks ass.
- Controlling with the classic controller is not great due to the notches. Playable but not great
- The art style and what not is top notch, and the graphics in-game are fine to great.
- Cutscenes are terrible and annoying. I hate how only some are unskippable.
- If I could do one thing tonight it would be drowning the voice actors.
- Framerate gets bad in places, which is annoying for this kind of game.
- The music is fuck awesome. If there's an OST i'll have to get it.

Anyonw know if it controls better with a GC controller? I don't have any at the moment but will be picking some up for Smash when I can afford them.

So far it's probably my least favourite game in my collection (discluding Wii Play), that said I haven't played enough of it to give a true rating... (*On that note goes to play it*)

Jonnyram

Segata Sanshiro said:
just an fyi guys

I'm going to be painting my house with the blood of non-believers
So is this actually a good game once you get past all the fluff at the beginning? I still haven't played it again because of the shudders it gave me on my first boot. I bought the remake of the original for PS2 yesterday though.

Innotech

Banned
Indeed it is. Where it sticks with the NiGHTS formula, it absolutely excels. The other levels are required to beat the game but fortunately are fairly easy and honestly not TERRIBLE, but I wouldnt revisit most of them unlesS I was going for high score. But when the game gets to the basics, it fucking NAILS it. Especially the final level. Absolute joy.

D-X

I finally finished this game in full (All A ranks, All dreamdrops etc) WITHOUT any guides etc

My bullet point opinions:

-On first play I felt they had messed up NiGHTS a lot
-Improves with subsequent plays
-VA not bad but script is crap, NiGHTS still should never speak
-Reala and wizeman have good voices
-Wizeman hand in front of face in intro to end battle (homage to Pans Labyrinth?)
-Music if FUCKING AWESOME spot on
-Art direction is FUCKING AWESOME spot on
-Needs collect 20 chips stages from the original as sub challenges rather than kids on foot levels
-Dream drop collection and A grades make you appreciate the game more
-Nice looking bosses and they're all interesting (but some are unusually hard)
-To quote Gagaman - HOLY SHITE at the ending but presumably
the cinematic at the end means it didn't really happen - that and Sega Superstars Tennis
-CG is FUCKING AWESOME spot on
-My dream needed a lot of work, would've preferred more interaction Chao style
-Frame rate is dodgy in some parts

-FUCKING ORIGINAL VOICE OF CLARIS SINGING NEW DREAMS DREAMS FUCKING AWESOME! FUCKING MAXIMUM FANSERVICE THANKS SEGA - I CAN FORGIVE A FEW OF YOUR SCREW UPS NOW

The only thing I have left to find is the last song on the NJOD soundtrack. I really have no clue

I recently played this as well (rental).

What was really striking was the inconsistency of the whole package. Some of the gfx were really well done, as most of the "traditional" flying missions. Didn't like the nights as boat etc. interludes or the kids plattforming part (though it wasn't as bad as I feared) or the "fly around in a small circle rescuing nightopians" or doing other stuff. Octopaw missions were cool because you could really get some linkage going but were too short (in comparisson to other missions).

The bosses are also a bit inconsistent. Some look really great, others (Cerberus) not so much. I liked most of the mechanics though.

Loading times also weren't that hot and because most levels are short and loading very frequent it got on my nerves a bit.

The level before Wizeman with the music and overall feel was awesome.

All in all I think it's OK, it could've been better but I didn't regret renting it. I'll buy it to get all A ranks etc. when it's down in price. Can't justify paying full price for it sadly with all the games coming out :-(.

Jonnyram said:
So is this actually a good game once you get past all the fluff at the beginning? I still haven't played it again because of the shudders it gave me on my first boot. I bought the remake of the original for PS2 yesterday though.
Holy crap. Sorry I took so long getting back to you Jonny. Internet's been spotty in the Palace de Leon.

Anyway... I feel that the quality of the traditional stages and bosses is more than worth suffering the brief pains of other level types.

If you still have it, give it a shot. Once you've beaten it, you never have to tpuch the "other" levels again, which leaves 7 great new NiGHTS levels and bosses.

Top Bottom