• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 wins VES realtime graphics prize

Fishlake

Yeah it deserves this award. Its quite an achievement to have it running as well as it does.

Agreed, There's this particular vegetation/grass that annoys me more than anything else. It's like a bush with several leaves on it but really looks like a paper cutouts and it's almost everywhere.

This is one of the tricks to get open world actually running. You aren't going to see those go away in open world games for quite a long time if ever.

Well deserved. Visuals are amazing and felt like playing through a film, I like how the HUD looks as well and the game itself in my opinion would have looked nicer with the removal of noise, blur and chrome aberration to see much more details in the work.

You can disable motion blur and film grain from the photomode.

pottuvoi

Banned
I think it is a bit mixed in some ways regarding the use of SSR. SSR is annoying in that it does not capture things off screen, but it is super awesome for occluding any misalignments and problems stemming from a cubemap. For example, there are instances in TO:1886 where you have something like a counter/barrier in front of you (chest high cover), yet you see the cubemap beyond it and no occlusion.
SSR would solve that at chest high camera angles of course. I guess the capsule stuff would be perfect for situations like that if it could be applied to any and every piece of geometry in a reasonable way.
Agreed.
One of the greatest things in SSR is the specular occlusion, sadly it also fails at edges of the screen.

It might be reasonable to have low resolution additional occlusion for SSR fail cases.
Something like trace to low resolution distance field of static environment before the sky cubemap.

Another trick might be worthwhile to check is having characters in their own layer. (Perhaps some moving objects as well.)

AlexIIDX

Still don't get the over the top hate on this game...Sure there were problems, but I thought it was a pretty fun ride.

It might be reasonable to have low resolution additional occlusion for SSR fail cases.
Something like trace to low resolution distance field of static environment before the sky cubemap.
Yeah, I think that is stuff we could be seeing in the next generation of games after this one. Going out of screen space with simpler world space representations.

Since Epic is all about distance fields these days, have they talked about tracing in them yet for reflections and reflection occlusion? I know they have used them for large scale AO, single colour GI (I think in the kite demo), and the ray traced shadows.

Ricky_R

Just because...

theorder_1886_2015041jzu99.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041v6uli.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041jfxh6.jpg

Like the examples I pointed out, it is often only used in limited scenarios and cannot be applied easily to arbitrary environments really. The bathroom is the perfect example of something controlled and easy to replicate. It is like a portal to another rendered enivonment :D

Like HTupolev said. It is not impossible to do it for something like 1 mirror in a small room, but it is not exactly cheap. And in some renderers, the upfront cost for setting up that second view could be more prohibitively expensive than in others.
Yep, that makes sense. I'm still quite impressed by Heavy Rain. It had obvious cutbacks everywhere, but splitting and rendering up to 4 different viewports at the same time was quite impressive at the time, as it was with Fahrenheit on the PS2. Wish it would get more usage in games to let the player keep control in some instances, but it's probably very expensive.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'd like to encourage anyone who agrees that 1886 deserved the win to congratulate RAD on their Twitter page. They deserve know many people appreciate their excellent work, especially since the game also gets its fair share of shit. Gratitude goes a long way is all I'm saying.

Bump.

@RAD_Studios

In which case if the nominations are structured as you say, it says a lot that many other great looking games (superior to a lot of the nominees) didn't submit themselves to the awards.

It also explains how it would be feasible for COD to win 3 years in a row.

As far as I'm aware this is how most awards work, you put your self/company/product into the running for it and then past that it's up to whatever the process is for that award.

Toxi

Banned
Funny enough though, the mirrors don't. Reflect that is. It was quite jarring seeing a simple mirror on the wall not have a real time reflection when everything else in the game looks so stellar.
Considering the game's setting, there would be an easy opportunity for explanation: Mirrors don't reflect supernatural creatures and those who drink the Black Water are included. Surprised they didn't do that.

Also reminds me of the hilariously crappy mirror in Metroid Prime.

pottuvoi

Banned
Yeah, I think that is stuff we could be seeing in the next generation of games after this one. Going out of screen space with simpler world space representations.

Since Epic is all about distance fields these days, have they talked about tracing in them yet for reflections and reflection occlusion? I know they have used them for large scale AO, single colour GI (I think in the kite demo), and the ray traced shadows.
Not that I know of.
Really would love to see them give it a try.

PC version of ROTR is easily on par, some a few areas with some very inconsistency.

I've been playing it and I think outside of its beautiful lighting and some beautiful scenery the visuals are very overrated. Imo the visuals are held back by its cross gen roots which is unfortunate

Overside

Banned
Well deserved. It has the best visuals I ever seen in a published videogame by far.

Yes, it's a game. And opinions like yours are the reason of why we see little innovation in this industry.

There's a lot of squareminded people that can't see that a game isn't made for them.

What exactly was innovative about the order, beyond really pretty but static graphics....

Which, isnt innovative at all, but iterative... And only serves to price the market out of reach of studios who would seek to gain traxtion via innovation, without having the money to produce games like the order, who had a massive publisher bankroll behind them...

Things like the Order ARE what is stifling innovation. Its reception was a huge win for anyone who cares for anything beyond massive corporate production budgets

What exactly was innovative about the order, beyond really pretty but static graphics....

Which, isnt innovative at all, but iterative... And only serves to price the market out of reach of studios who would seek to gain traxtion via innovation, without having the money to produce games like the order, who had a massive publisher bankroll behind them...

Things like the Order ARE what is stifling innovation. Its reception was a huge win for anyone who cares for anything beyond massive corporate production budgets

It's an award for visuals. Don't understand what your argument has anything to do with that

Graphics looked amazing. That's all that really is needed. They are giving the team an award for their work on the visuals, not the developer and the produced sum of all its parts.

Overside

Banned
It's an award for visuals. Don't understand what your argument has anything to do with that

Ah, see, there is a quote function, that lets you quote people and respond specifically to what they said, that way people know the context of what you are talking about.

reading the post quoted in my response will answer your confusion, as to why my post, says what it does.

Although I am curious as to how you quoted me without knowing what quotes are, or what they are used for. Accident?

At least someone recognized the dev for all the hard work they put into the game instead of knocking it for "no nextgen gameplay" but giving a pass to other games for the same shortcoming.

Top Bottom