• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The owner of Burger King is buying Popeyes for $1.8 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecX

hqdefault.jpg

LMAO, I remember this story and this guys reaction was hilarious. I cannot believe it sold for that price though and does this mean BK will start using Popeye's biscuits for their breakfast? This would be s huge improvement and put them up there with McD's. I'm also imagining a Whopper with these biscuits, so good.

jstripes

Banned
So now will we see Burger King/Popeye stores like you see Taco Bell/KFC stores?

Probably not. Tim Horton's split from Wendy's like 10 years ago, but there's still combination Tim Horton's/Wendy's locations all over the place, which must be really awkward given Tim Horton's owns Burger King.

Really, it's all down to the franchisee.

Nephtes

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
I thought everyone said 2016 was over!

They said!
Burger King buys Popeye's?
We can all agree that is some 2016 shit right there... Right?

Fuck.
Well, I guess this is the last year of good Fried Chicken on the Mardi Gras parade route.
Stay strong fellow New Orleans GAF.

KSweeley

This deal is being described as a "consolation prize" for Restaurant Brands shareholder 3G Capital since they just lost a $143 billion bid for their biggest holding Kraft Heinz to merge with consumer products company Unilever: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-popeyes-m-a-restaurant-brands-idUSKBN15Z1ZY

It also represents a small consolation prize for Restaurant Brands shareholder 3G Capital, which lost a $143 billion bid this week to merge its biggest holding, food conglomerate Kraft Heinz Co, with consumer products firm Unilever Plc.

Also according to that Reuters article, currently here in the U.S., chicken only accounts for about 10% of the fast food industry and the largest brands in the chicken sector is Chick-fil-A and KFC:

Chicken accounts for about 10 percent of the fast-food industry, according to data service IBISWorld, and Popeyes' market share is growing. The largest brands in the sector include privately held Chick-fil-A and Yum! Brands Inc's KFC.

Brinbe

Don't change a damn thing. If anything, as others have said, this means more expansion. Which isn't a bad thing.

KSweeley

I'm hoping more Popeyes will open, I've had KFC, Chick-fil-A and Popeyes chicken. A long time ago, KFC chicken was pretty tasty to me but not anymore. Chick-fil-A has better tasting chicken than KFC as does Popeyes. I actually like Popeyes over KFC and Chick-fil-A.

Game Guru

I am actually surprised that BK has enough money to buy popeyes. For some reason I didn't think BK was doing all that well.

The one not doing that well is McDonald's, mostly because they've been trying to get people to pay premium prices for fast food when people go to fast food places to get cheapass food quick. Burger King accepts that people only go to it to get cheapass food quick and makes bank from that focus.

The one not doing that well is McDonald's, mostly because they've been trying to get people to pay premium prices for fast food when people go to fast food places to get cheapass food quick. Burger King accepts that people only go to it to get cheapass food quick and makes bank from that focus.

Problem with McDonalds is that they are too big and over-saturate store locations, they've rinsed the efficiency so much that they have no space to move.

fleck0

I am actually surprised that BK has enough money to buy popeyes. For some reason I didn't think BK was doing all that well.

This is why I'm worried about Popeyes. Nobody I know touches burger king because the locations in my area have steadily degraded in quality of the food and especially the buildings. They tend to look dilapidated and dirty, hence I also assumed they had significantly declined in the last couple decades. Maybe they just don't give a shit?

Illucio

Banned
This is such a weird purchase. Burger King already sells chicken products, so what is the goal here? To combine Popeyes with Burger King? Or have two separate stores with different specialties? There's just no logic to this in a investment perspective. Burger King has the money to build more stores, to experiment, and offer better food in a variety of different ways.

This is odd.

In the UK Burger King is more expensive.

Mortemis

Banned
Fuck with them and I'm coming for yo ass BK

If you do anything, open some more locations near me please. Always a mission to go get some decent chicken. Doesn't help that chick-fil-a feels like it's a flight away.

Ryuuga

Banned
"Restaurant Brands International" without reading the story you could tell it's Canadian based on the naming convention.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
"Restaurant Brands International" is such an uninspired boring company name. I mean at least name it something clever like "YUM!" did.

Hopefully this means we get a fried chicken place around here. We don't have anything by Yum! near us. No Taco Bell, no KFC, even our Pizza Hut closed. I have to go all the way to Montgomeryville for a taco or chicken. Well I guess I could go to Chipotle but I've never been. We have a BK, McDonalds and Wendy's. That's it. Well aside from Chipotle and Panera Bread.

We used to have a KFC but it got closed and turned into a second Starbucks.

I hope we get a Popeyes on Cape Cod, so I don't have to choose between average fried chicken and homophobic fried chicken (which, there is no choice, I get the average kind but you understand I'm sure).

old

Nobody has pointed out this is an inversion yet. Must not be a lot of CPAs on GAF.

Anyways, I'm sure America can afford to lose billions more in tax revenue. Not like their education department is severely underfunded or anything.

oggob

There is one at the Hong Kong airport, had a long waiting line but I needed it.

This was my first experience with Popeyes, only just last week actually... I would welcome expansion into Australia, it would give both KFC and Red Rooster to a lesser extent to up their quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom