• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Past and Future of Motion Controls in Gaming

Metallix87

In the past few weeks and months, I've noticed numerous posters on here declaring motion controls dead and proclaiming the entire "movement", started by the Wii, to have been nothing more than a fad, and one that ended up being detrimental to the gaming industry as a whole. As such, I've decided to make this topic, analyzing the successes and failures of motion controls, speculating on the future of the technology, and also reminiscing on the Wii, which I think, despite all the vitriol from alleged core gamers, is one of the best game consoles of all times, both in terms of exclusive titles as well as impact on the industry as a whole. That being said, I'm hoping that this thread can lead towards some positive discussion about motion controls, and the positives they bring with them.

HGMBfh_TMX1UNwTkAY_Bz8-4ArUXAKysDtZWo3k1veasY-iiq5n0u7Wm4ps3wjMezg=w300

The Dawn of the Wii and the Age of Motion Gaming

"Nintendo Revolution" was the name that we had to work with early on when discussing the upcoming Nintendo system. The name indicated Nintendo's belief that changing the way we played games would lead to new types of gameplay to re-engage existing gamers while also attracting new individuals into gaming. There was certainly a lot of hype and speculation early on about what this would mean, with plenty of people believing that the system would have a touch screen on the controller to align it with the design of the Nintendo DS. There was even some speculation behind some kind of VR device, with the very neat hoax the Nintendo ON appearing to fuel speculation. What we got, was the Wii Remote, or Wiimote as it came to be known, and it would prove to be a very controversial controller moving forward.

The Wii launched in North America on November 19th, 2006. The system launched with big titles like Wii Sports, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel, and Call of Duty 3, as well as a great deal of shovelware. The system ended up selling out and remaining sold out for many months, primarily due to the hype behind Wii Sports, the proof-of-concept for motion controls in gaming. The Wii phenomenon spread quickly, as the system began appearing on news reports and talk shows. Motion controls were a clear hit, with the barrier of entry for Wii Sports being so low that anyone could enjoy gaming at long last. Unfortunately, this amazing success brought with it a great deal of "entrepreneurs" looking to turn the Wii into a way of making a quick buck with little-to-no real effort.

The Wii became the primary home of third party shovelware as well as what came to be known as "test games". Shovelware is something that most people should be familiar with. "Test games", for those unacquainted with that term, refers to the types of games that use a popular core license in a new, unique way to hope to appeal to the perceived gaming populace of the Wii and to see if there's an interest for those types of games on the platform. What are some prominent examples of test games? Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Space: Extraction, and, to a lesser extent, Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers. The term was coined after Capcom repeatedly kept referring to their bizarre releases on the platform as tests to see if the market was viable.

Sales remained high, even despite all the crap being shoveled onto the system. It seemed like there was no stopping the Wii. Unfortunately, with time, the polluting of the Wii ecosystem would take it's toll, but before we get to that, there are two minor "stops" we have to make in the history of the system.

Light Gun Games! Rise from thy Ashes!

In a roundabout way, the Wii's Wiimote was the ideal device for rail shooters. IR pointing proved to be an absolute revolution, eliminating the need for a light gun peripheral, though such peripherals did appear with time regardless. Several key titles were able to take advantage of the technology and bring about a revival of the rail shooter genre on consoles. Key titles in this genre on the Wii were Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, The House of the Dead: Overkill, Dead Space: Extraction, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, as well as prominent ports like Sin & Punishment, Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns: Arcade Hits Pack, The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, and Ghost Squad.

Unfortunately, as with most things about the Wii, the good brought about by this revival was soon blasted by the critics. Dead Space and Resident Evil appearing as rail shooters was used as a means to attack the system, declaring that the system was the home of crappy on-rails spin-offs, and suggesting the controls prevented a proper game experience like on the HD Twins from happening on the platform. That stigma lingered with the Wii, and in later years was still being used to declare the system as "lesser".

Dance and Exercise Your Way to Fun

This section will be relatively quick, as I don't want to linger on it more than I have to. I have nothing against these types of games, but they're not my cup of tea, and I doubt most people on here care much for them, but they deserve to be mentioned in this look back at motion gaming. Dance games were forever changed with the Wii, abandoning dance pads in favor of more free-form controls designed around the Wiimote.

Exercise games also rose to prominence thanks to the Wii and the Balance Board peripheral. The game that drove the hype was Wii Fit, a Nintendo title that aimed to make staying fit more fun and enjoyable for the average person. Shigeru Miyamoto drove the design, as he had become very fascinated with health and fitness at the time. In the end, Wii Fit and it's third party clones helped continue the hype behind the system, and helping the sales stay rock solid.

The Arrival of Imitators and the Decline of the King

As sales began to slow down a bit, third parties quickly declared the Wii dead and abandoned ship in a hurry, leaving Nintendo fending for themselves for the most part. Around this time, Nintendo announced the next evolution for their Wiimote, the Wii Motion Plus. Motion Plus allowed for even more accurate motion controls, which Nintendo claimed would final bring about the long-desired 1:1 motion controls. Unfortunately, this announcement came around the same time that the competition, tired of letting Nintendo hog up all the motion glory, decided to join in with their own motion devices.

Sony chose the direct route, creating the PS Move, a device that, for all intents and purposes, was basically a Wiimote clone. Microsoft chose a strange new path, the Kinect, which dropped all tactile controls in favor of free-form gaming. Both experienced a surge in sales, though the latter was better received for it's unique-ness. Still, both failed to reach anything near the heights of the Wii, and the Wii itself was in decline.

The Dream is Realized! Motion to the Max!

Before the Wii "died", there were two titles that emerged that felt like the fulfillment of the potential that many core gamers had dreamed about when the system was first announced. Those two titles were Red Steel 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, each a follow up to a Wii launch title. Each proved that, with the power of Wii Motion Plus, 1:1 sword play was possible, and that it was fun. These games came very late in the system's lifespan, though, and neither did the numbers of their predecessors, despite being far superior experiences that showed off just what motion could bring to a core game experience.

The Future of Motion Controls

Wii U was the first console to launch, and it seemingly dropped motion controls as the primary control mechanism in favor of a Tablet-esque Game Pad to appeal to modern gamers. It failed, of course, leaving me to believe that a more advanced Wiimote Plus would've been a superior option for a standard controller, especially as Wiimotes continue to be the multiplayer controller of the system. Sony and Microsoft have been more proactive in killing off motion controls, with Move being ignored and Kinect relegated to non-gaming applications primarily.

Fortunately, all is not lost! As the dawn of VR gaming approaches, motion controls will become more and more necessary to help us realize the dream. On top of that, with the Wiimote still supported strongly by the Wii U, it's clear that Nintendo is at least willing to keep exploring it's potential moving forward. I'm not sure what form the next big motion gaming craze will take, but it's obvious to me that it's going to come, either on PC or consoles, and will ideally get core gamers to once again see the potential that motion controls can bring when not squandered on cheap, gimmicky experiences.

Where does that leave us? I'm of the firm belief that motion gaming is here to stay, and it's only a matter of time before developers realize the best way to leverage 1:1 motion as well as pointer functionality. Will it become the standard controls for a platform again? I'm not sure, and I doubt it, but if VR gaming really takes off, I could see it potentially happening.

So what do I hope you walk away with from this lengthy thread? I'd like people to start questioning and discussing what the pros and cons of proper motion controls (not waggle) are for the games industry as a whole. I'd like people to at least question if the "fad" really died on it's own as is often suggested, or if third parties abandoned ship quickly and left consumers without content to consume. Most importantly, though, I'd like to see what your opinions are on the past and future of motion gaming. I think this is a discussion that needs to be had, as motion has become such a controversial talking point, both when discussing the Wii itself as well as whether or not it had a lasting effect on the industry at large.

I'm of the firm belief that motion gaming is here to stay, and it's only a matter of time before developers realize the best way to leverage 1:1 motion as well as pointer functionality. Will it become the standard controls for a platform again? I'm not sure, and I doubt it, but if VR gaming really takes off, I could see it potentially happening.

Unfortunately, I think it's over for the motion/pointer device. Gyros and Kinect will still exist. But Pikmin 3 leveraged the remote because it was a Wii holdover. Same with the CoD ports. The only reason they have Wii pointer aiming is because it was already programmed and tested for the Wii.

No developer is going to develop and balance for the remote from the ground up when the remote isn't the primary input device. It's not even packed in the box. Same with the Move.

Personally, I can leave motion controls. I loved ExciteTruck for bringing an old-school arcade cabinet feel to the living room. Red Steel 2 was fun also. But it's not a big deal.

On the other hand, it will be an absolute travesty when we lose pointer aiming. I am a huge fan of the IR aiming in the current Wii U CoD titles, and when those go away, so too does FPS with a pointer-based cursor on console. I'll legitimately be disappointed when the CoD titles finally dry up on Wii U because I like FPS games, but I abhor dual analog controls.

Pointer controls will return when you can wirelessly transmit 1080p 60fps video from a small remote to a console without the battery draining in 6 minutes.

xandaca

I'd love Nintendo to do a revised version of the Wii remote for their next console, but they won't. Motion controls were fantastic for certain things, like sports games, and they were shoehorned into genres where they were a bad fit (see: Donkey Kong) and while a fantastic idea, the lack of precision and feedback generally made them less satisfying to use in practice than it sounded on paper. The well was already poisoned for 'hardcore' (cough) gamers once Red Steel failed to come anywhere close to making good on its promises, but the shape of the controller is fantastic, being able to move your hands freely is weirdly liberating (there's something about scratching your nose while continuing to play...) and, of course, the IR pointer SHOULD have been accepted as the next leap forward in control technology. It'll quietly be put to death now, of course, as Sony won't do anything worthwhile with the Move (not even included in Killzone, so I'm told) and the Wii U won't be getting any more FPS' unless they go back for another game in the Metroid Prime series. Terrible.

Branduil

Motion controls will make a comeback... but it's going to be on the PC, as part of the virtual reality experience. At the very least, people are going to want the hands they see on their Oculus Rift to match up with what their actual hands are doing.

Metallix87

Motion controls will make a comeback... but it's going to be on the PC, as part of the virtual reality experience. At the very least, people are going to want the hands they see on their Oculus Rift to match up with what their actual hands are doing.

I agree that the Oculus Rift devs will have to look to the Wiimote Plus and PS Move for ideas and inspiration as to what the ideal Rift controller would look like.

Sami+

Why did you hate the Wii, exactly?

I never found the Wiimote to be comfortable and I didn't feel it offered anything substantially better than what I could get with a traditional controller. Deep, refined combat systems like those of Demons Souls and Devil May Cry appeal to me much more than waving my arms around with Skyward Sword.

Not to say that anyone's wrong or anything for enjoying it, mind you. It just never appealed to me and I didn't have any fun with it.

Phediuk

I found motion controls obnoxious in every game I played with them. They don't increase immersion; on the contrary, I've never felt myself more distracted by a game's controls than when I've been waving a remote around trying to get my character to do what they want. There were times when motion controls were functional, but never better than regular controls. Never once did I feel that I would not rather have a standard controller in my hands. Motion controls are not how I want to play games and I'm glad the fad is dead and buried.

As one positive note though, I do think the technology could have some use with VR headsets, as they get around the problem of view and aim being fused together, as in every Wii shooter.

Orayn

I never found the Wiimote to be comfortable and I didn't feel it offered anything substantially better than what I could get with a traditional controller. Deep, refined combat systems like those of Demons Souls and Devil May Cry appeal to me much more than waving my arms around with Skyward Sword.

Not to say that anyone's wrong or anything for enjoying it, mind you. It just never appealed to me and I didn't have any fun with it.

Wiimote and Nunchuk was a great control scheme for shooters on a system that got far too few of them. Have you ever played Metroid Prime 3 or Trilogy? On those games, the optical pointer felt amazing, only a slight step down from aiming with a mouse on PC. (And this is coming from a guy who can't stand to aim with an analog stick for most console games.)

Sami+

Wiimote and Nunchuk was a great control scheme for shooters on a system that got far too few of them. Have you ever played Metroid Prime 3 or Trilogy? On those games, the optical pointer felt amazing, only a slight step down from aiming with a mouse on PC. (And this is coming from a guy who can't stand to aim with an analog stick for most console games.)

Prime Collection was actually my first experience with the series, but I hated it. Got a hell of a lot farther in the GameCube version of the game (I did eventually get bored of it because Metroid's not really my thing, but that's neither here nor there). I actively avoid using the WiiMote whenever possible because I just don't like the way it feels and don't like using motion to control. Doesn't feel as precise.

Orayn

Prime Collection was actually my first experience with the series, but I hated it. Got a hell of a lot farther in the GameCube version of the game (I did eventually get bored of it because Metroid's not really my thing, but that's neither here nor there). I actively avoid using the WiiMote whenever possible because I just don't like the way it feels and don't like using motion to control. Doesn't feel as precise.

With the "expert" mode and high sensitivity settings, I found it incredibly precise since the center of the screen is a deadzone where you're free to aim wherever you want with 0-order controls, like moving a mouse cursor. I could reliably aim and hit things with precision that no analog stick even remotely compares to.

You're probably right that a lot of it is down to personal preference, but I refuse to accept the notion that motion controls are inherently bad or worthless just because they've been misapplied or someone doesn't like them. Hell, if you arranged a multiplayer match between controller users and Wiimote+Nunchuk users of similar skill level, I'd bet actual money on the people "waving their arms." When the game is designed well, the capabilities are better, full stop.

Sami+

With the "expert" mode and high sensitivity settings, I found it incredibly precise since the center of the screen is a deadzone where you're free to aim wherever you want with 0-order controls, like moving a mouse cursor. I could reliably aim and hit things with precision that no analog stick even remotely compares to.

You're probably right that a lot of it is down to personal preference, but I refuse to accept the notion that motion controls are inherently bad or worthless just because they've been misapplied or someone doesn't like them. Hell, if you arranged a multiplayer match between controller users and Wiimote+Nunchuk users of similar skill level, I'd bet actual money on the people "waving their arms." When the game is designed well, the capabilities are better, full stop.

Not inherently bad, no. However, I do think building an entire console's design off of it is a horrible thing to do (not in a business sense as the Wii was obviously a success) because the controls are really only valuable in a handful of genres. FPS, like you said, is one. Then there's basic sword combat (and only basic sword combat, as anything as refined as DMC or Demons Souls would be literally impossible), party games, and... I think that's it?

I don't care if they exist as an optional side thing, but I'd be extremely annoyed if the next Playstation tries to shove it down my throat, for instance. There are a lot of reasons I never liked the Wii, but the motion focus was by far the biggest one. As far as I'm concerned, the less I see of motion controls, the better. At least until it's integrated into VR.

Orayn

Not inherently bad, no. However, I do think building an entire console's design off of it is a horrible thing to do (not in a business sense as the Wii was obviously a success) because the controls are really only valuable in a handful of genres. FPS, like you said, is one. Then there's basic sword combat (and only basic sword combat, as anything as refined as DMC or Demons Souls would be literally impossible), party games, and... I think that's it?

I don't care if they exist as an optional side thing, but I'd be extremely annoyed if the next Playstation tries to shove it down my throat, for instance. There are a lot of reasons I never liked the Wii, but the motion focus was by far the biggest one. As far as I'm concerned, the less I see of motion controls, the better. At least until it's integrated into VR.

I think a proper evolution of the Wiimote+Nunchuk setup would put an analog stick and face buttons or a d-pad on each controller, similar to the Razer Hydra or Sixense STEM.

TYdBJj5.jpg

s586R6z.jpg

With that setup you're not losing anything that would normally be present on a dual analog controller, but you keep the option of motion controls and the comfy split setup. There are so few downsides that I was kinda bummed out when I realized that none of the new consoles would do something like this.

Sami+

I really don't mean to sound like I'm being purposely contrary, but I'm not sure I'd even really be comfortable with that, to be honest. I genuinely think the traditional gamepad setup is, for all intents and purposes, practically perfect. I didn't find the split setup "comfy" at all.

I'd have been extremely disappointed to see that thing become the standard. I'd much rather take the DS4 or XB1 controller.

Metallix87

I really don't mean to sound like I'm being purposely contrary, but I'm not sure I'd even really be comfortable with that, to be honest. I genuinely think the traditional gamepad setup is, for all intents and purposes, practically perfect. I didn't find the split setup "comfy" at all.

I'd have been extremely disappointed to see that thing become the standard. I'd much rather take the DS4 or XB1 controller.

Well, I mean, not everyone likes progress and/or change, so it makes sense, I suppose. I'm sure there are people who loathed the modern controller design, and preferred the joystick setup of early game controllers.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Wii was a success, not motion controls imo, it's different.
Imo motion controls are destined to die, only VR can make them revive again.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are you saying the Wii would've been a success without motion controls?
No, i'm saying that the Wii as a whole(design, conception, aimed to the right market, console, motion controls, games etc) was a success, not motion controls, as you can see Move, Kinect and all the other motion controllers are not real success.
Motion controls were part of the success of the Wii but motion controls alone are not successful imo.
Even if someone makes a sort of Wii 2 casuals are now gone to mobile platforms, a console focused on motion controls will never be successful again.
Motion controls worked for the Wii alone, Sony with Move but especially Microsoft with mandatory Kinect were short sighted trying to follow them.

Griss

I absolutely loved the Wii, and I liked motion controls. However, after 6 years of the Wii it became apparent that motion controls aren't some necessary or revelatory part of a good game experience.

They can give you a more tactile experience, which can improve your enjoyment, and I think Wii Sports Resort was a great example of that. In archery, aiming is all about how steady you can hold your arm. You can't replicate that properly with your thumb on a stick. In golf, you have to swing straight(ish). In table tennis, the amount of top spin is all in your wrist. But games that relied on actual control of your body to influence gameplay like that were incredibly rare. Incredibly fun, but very rare.

There were other games where motion controls could have been done by a button press or multiple presses but the motion controls still helped the experience. Zack and Wiki was a great example where the motion controls felt tactile and fun to use with great feedback and accurate results. Metroid Prime 3 was similar - the motion controls added a sense of immersion, especially when ripping the shield off an enemy. But ultimately both of those games would have been just as enjoyable with button presses instead.

And the last category of games is waggle games, where something that should have been a button press was a simple wave or waggle instead, often hurting the game. This was so prevalent that it pretty much killed motion controls as something audiences wanted, imo. I can't blame them, either. It was 90%+ of the usage on the Wii.

So ultimately, while I had some amazing experiences, I won't be sad to see motion controls go. The IR pointer, on the other hand, was always awesome, and should be a standard feature of controllers. I never disliked any use of the pointer, and it made FPS's about twice as fun to me. It had a massive positive effect on gameplay. Lastly, the 'two-piece' controller was amazing, and I wish we could get split-apart dualshocks. I played most Wii games with at least one of my hands behind my head, and would sometimes stretch while playing. You can't beat that comfy feeling.

geordiemp

Are you saying the Wii would've been a success without motion controls?

No, but it was an illusion, where many people thought they were actually playing wii sports and doing the controls...and was clever and a bit deceiving....

Once the videos and understanding started to spread that it was just waggle and you did not have to actually move to play the wii.......peoples views started changing....

I remember seeing a video of someone playing wii table tennis game or something similar and just waggling without even looking at the screen....

It was not proper motion control 1:1 mapping and was a gimmick, it lasted a while and quite rightly died after people caught on to the ruse.....

I found the PS move had better tracking than the wii, but the market damage was done, people were fooled and not again....(in my opinion)

Next....(and I loved excite truck and RE4 on Wii)

Metallix87

Eyetoy am cry

imagem

It's okay. Someday, someone will remember you.

It's not that I didn't remember the Eyetoy, it's just that it didn't do much more than act as a novelty to fool around with. Developers didn't take advantage of it to enhance the way we play games, they just used it as a means to make mini-game collections and such. If you want, I'll add a footnote to the beginning of my opening post about it.

No, but it was an illusion, where many people thought they were actually playing wii sports and doing the controls...and was clever and a bit deceiving....

Once the videos and understanding started to spread that it was just waggle and you did not have to actually move to play the wii.......peoples views started changing....

I remember seeing a video of someone playing wii table tennis game or something similar and just waggling without even looking at the screen....

It was not proper motion control 1:1 mapping and was a gimmick, it lasted a while and quite rightly died after people caught on to the ruse.....

I found the PS move had better tracking than the wii, but the market damage was done, people were fooled and not again....(in my opinion)

Next....

To be fair, not all experiences were like that. IR pointing games were much more close to expectation, and Motion Plus brought 1:1 a few years after the console's launch.

NewGame

Banned
I really like motion control. My favorite thing has to be aiming in the Zelda remake of OOT using the gyro. It felt really good to me.

Why did you hate the Wii, exactly?

My brain was always aware it was interacting with a bar above the TV instead of what was happening on the TV itself. I just could never disconnect from that and it placed a barrier between me and most Wii games.
I think Skyward Sword masked it best and Red Steel was the worst.

Rocky

Banned
I absolutely loved the Wii, and I liked motion controls. However, after 6 years of the Wii it became apparent that motion controls aren't some necessary or revelatory part of a good game experience.

They can give you a more tactile experience, which can improve your enjoyment, and I think Wii Sports Resort was a great example of that. In archery, aiming is all about how steady you can hold your arm. You can't replicate that properly with your thumb on a stick. In golf, you have to swing straight(ish). In table tennis, the amount of top spin is all in your wrist. But games that relied on actual control of your body to influence gameplay like that were incredibly rare. Incredibly fun, but very rare.

There were other games where motion controls could have been done by a button press or multiple presses but the motion controls still helped the experience. Zack and Wiki was a great example where the motion controls felt tactile and fun to use with great feedback and accurate results. Metroid Prime 3 was similar - the motion controls added a sense of immersion, especially when ripping the shield off an enemy. But ultimately both of those games would have been just as enjoyable with button presses instead.

And the last category of games is waggle games, where something that should have been a button press was a simple wave or waggle instead, often hurting the game. This was so prevalent that it pretty much killed motion controls as something audiences wanted, imo. I can't blame them, either. It was 90%+ of the usage on the Wii.

So ultimately, while I had some amazing experiences, I won't be sad to see motion controls go. The IR pointer, on the other hand, was always awesome, and should be a standard feature of controllers. I never disliked any use of the pointer, and it made FPS's about twice as fun to me. It had a massive positive effect on gameplay. Lastly, the 'two-piece' controller was amazing, and I wish we could get split-apart dualshocks. I played most Wii games with at least one of my hands behind my head, and would sometimes stretch while playing. You can't beat that comfy feeling.

Most of those things you mentioned are what turned me off with the Wii. I liked the Wii Sports stuff, but I found the implementation of motion controls in traditional games mostly frustrating and un-immersive.

Metroid Prime 3's motion controls frustrated me so much I quit after playing for couple of hours and haven't picked it up since. Skyward Sword's sword controls were frustrating as well, and I had always gotten immersed in Zelda games with just the traditional controls.

Lastly, the 'two-piece' remote and nunchuk never felt 'comfy' to me at all. It always felt awkward and unnatural, leaving me always hoping games would have CC support in them.

But I guess it's just a case of different strokes for different folks, I guess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
VR will give new life to 'proper' motion controls - as in controls with position and orientation.

I think it's incorrect to say that Sony and MS have been 'proactive' about killing off motion controls. You'll see PS Move reborn in a VR context very shortly. As I've said in other contexts, Move was basically a VR controller acting like a Wiimote - abstracted against the TV - last gen. A HMD will make much more compelling sense of low latency position+orientation tracking at the hands, with tactile input and feedback.

StuBurns

Banned
Move is going to be vital to consumer VR.

I have hated motion controls so far, the WiiMote was the worst thing, but in VR it does make sense.

geordiemp

To be fair, not all experiences were like that. IR pointing games were much more close to expectation, and Motion Plus brought 1:1 a few years after the console's launch.

Motionplus was what consumers thought they were getting when they bought the wii,

Motionplus was too late and fragmented user base - my wii was already in the loft and we had moved to Ps3 / 360 by the time proper wii controller came out....

I think that the original waggle wii controller was its own success and its own demise once people saw through it....

geordiemp

I think motion controls is dead and will take some resurrecting...

T\he promised and deceived....wiggle, waggle, not true, not 1:1, laggy and not all they promised to be.

I think most consumers are once bitten (wii) twice shy

Until you can point at the corner of the TV and the cursor goes there (not relative / calibration / gimmick / other ) then its a fail.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
VR will give new life to 'proper' motion controls - as in controls with position and orientation.

I think it's incorrect to say that Sony and MS have been 'proactive' about killing off motion controls. You'll see PS Move reborn in a VR context very shortly. As I've said in other contexts, Move was basically a VR controller acting like a Wiimote - abstracted against the TV - last gen. A HMD will make much more compelling sense of low latency position+orientation tracking at the hands, with tactile input and feedback.

Speaking of controls, I wonder if Sony is considering releasing a new version of the Navigation Controller with tracking capabilities. This way you could provide 2 hands VR interaction without compromising locomotion input nor alienating the current Move installed base. The current Move would still be used as your "main controller" while the Navigation Controller would need to be replaced with the new one for games that require it.

StuBurns

Banned
Speaking of controls, I wonder if Sony is considering releasing a new version of the Navigation Controller with tracking capabilities. This way you could provide 2 hands VR interaction without compromising locomotion input nor alienating the current Move installed base. The current Move would still be used as your "main controller" while the Navigation Controller would need to be replaced with the new one for games that require it.
I hope not. While I can see the advantage to a second 'hand', I think it would be easier to internally interpret the right hand as dedicated to player movement while the left hand is 'live' in the simulation for interactions.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I hope not. While I can see the advantage to a second 'hand', I think it would be easier to internally interpret the right hand as dedicated to player movement while the left hand is 'live' in the simulation for interactions.

I think the "live" hand-controlling Move would still be needed for movement as well (you can't rotate AND strafe with one stick) so you would already be splitting locomotion inputs anyway. I don't think it would be that hard to interpret.

The way I am thinking motion based locomotion in VR goes like this

Left Stick - Strafing
Right Move - Rotating whole character bounding box style
HMD - Camera (head) control

StuBurns

Banned
I think the "live" hand-controlling Move would still be needed for movement as well (you can't rotate AND strafe with one stick) so you would already be splitting locomotion inputs anyway. I don't think it would be that hard to interpret.

The way I am thinking motion based locomotion in VR goes like this

Left Stick - Strafing
Right Move - Rotating whole character bounding box style
HMD - Camera (head) control
Orientation would be in conjunction to head rotation I'd imagine, while people can walk with their head directed in other positions, it wouldn't be too strange to have orientation align with head direction if it was smooth enough.

Although actually, you raise an even better solution I think. A Navi with sixaxis so you can host both the orientation and movement on a single hand might be much nicer.

BDGAME

I don't know how the future of motion controls will be, but I don't want play games like tennis and golf without them. I love the pointer too.

I hope the next Nintendo machine will come with a Wiimote 3 (a kind of plus with more buttons).

Metallix87

I don't know how the future of motion controls will be, but I don't want play games like tennis and golf without them. I love the pointer too.

I hope the next Nintendo machine will come with a Wiimote 3 (a kind of plus with more buttons).
I hope the same. The Game Pad was a mistake. They need to return with a more advanced Wiimote Plus as the standard controller.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This thread makes me so sad we'll likely never see another Nintendo console centered around wiimote and nunchuck like controls...

Metallix87

So with the announcement of the new Xbox One bundle at $399.99 without a Kinect, I figured I would ask if this news changes anyone's minds about the future of motion gaming, or at the very least sparks some new questions on the matter.

Top Bottom