• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pope now has a feeding tube to keep him alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexex

Banned
VATICAN_POPE.sff_PPC104_20050330053335.jpg

(AP) Pope John Paul II appears from his studio window overlooking St. Peter's square at the Vatican,...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050330/D895AG780.html

Vatican: Pope Getting Nutrition From Tube

Mar 30, 8:22 AM (ET)

By VICTOR L. SIMPSON

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope John Paul II is getting nutrition from a tube in his nose, the Vatican said Wednesday, shortly after the frail pontiff appeared at his window in St. Peter's Square and managed only a rasp when he tried to speak.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said the step was taken to "improve the pope's calorie intake" and so he can recover his strength. It was unclear when the tube was inserted but it was not visible when John Paul made his appearance.

The tube is not the only source of nutrition for the pope, a Vatican official said on condition of anonymity.

Asked about reports of a possible hospitalization, the official said there were no plans at this time and any decision would be up to his doctors.

The medical report was the first issued on the pope since March 10 - three days before he was discharged from the hospital for the second time in a month.

The statement appeared indirectly to deny media reports that the 84-year-old pope might be hospitalized again to insert a feeding tube in his stomach because of problems swallowing food.

Francesco Pierconti, a pathologist at the Gemelli Polyclinic in Rome who did not treat John Paul, said that feeding tubes like the one used by the pope usually need to stay in place for "two or three days, then they get removed for disinfection," before being reinserted.

The statement Wednesday said John Paul spends "many hours" seated in an armchair, celebrates Mass in his private chapel and has work contacts with his aides "following directly the activities of the Holy See and the life of the church."

It said the pope continues "his slow and progressive convalescence" and that public audiences remain suspended.

It also said medical assistance is guaranteed by the Vatican medical staff under the direction of the pope's personal physician, Dr. Renato Buzzonetti, an apparent reference to reports that outside medical help has been called in.

The pope was rushed to Gemelli twice last month with breathing crises. On Feb. 24, he underwent throat surgery to insert a tube in his windpipe and ease his breathing.

Navarro-Valls made the announcement shortly after the pope appeared at his studio window and blessed thousands of faithful in St. Peter's Square. The ailing pontiff raised his hand in blessing and made the sign of the cross as a Vatican official read greetings and prayers.

The pope looked alert during the appearance, his first since Easter Sunday. A microphone that had been readied by papal aides was quickly removed after the pontiff unsuccessfully tried to say a few words.

The appearance drew cheers from thousands of pilgrims gathered in the square beneath the pope's third-floor window, decorated with the pope's crimson banner. Some of the faithful had tears in their eyes.

Kate Strauss, an American tourist in St. Peter's with her family, said, "We happened to be here by chance and we just had no idea we'd get a blessing from him and a blessing for the babies."

"He looks very frail but certainly very committed to seeing his people," she said.

The pontiff was unable to preside at Holy Week events because of his ailments. On Easter Sunday, he tried but failed to speak to tens of thousands of people gathered for Mass in the square.

John Paul last spoke to the public on March 13, shortly before being discharged from hospital. In addition to the breathing tube, John Paul suffers from Parkinson's disease, which makes it difficult for him to talk, and knee and hip ailments.

also here:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/03/30/pope.monday/index.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151886,00.html

I'll bet his followers are glad he isnt in Florida.......

8_23_033005_pope_closeup.jpg

FEED ME! DONT WANT TO GO TO USA, NO NO !!!

I am now accepting donations that will go to the Pope.

Whether or not your name/address/email will be sold to marketing firms and spam agencies, well, that's not important. Let's just get our priorities right (with your money).

calder

:lol Oh man this is just what we need.

At least in the Pope's case we know his wishes - he's shown a distinct unwillingness to go gently, or at all, into that good night for the last decade. I'm sure his living will includes the phrase "any and all possible means to prolong my life, seriously, head in a jar - whatever you got".

calder said:
:lol Oh man this is just what we need.

At least in the Pope's case we know his wishes - he's shown a distinct unwillingness to go gently, or at all, into that good night for the last decade. I'm sure his living will includes the phrase "any and all possible means to prolong my life, seriously, head in a jar - whatever you got".

Kind of ironic, isn't it? He's gotta know something his followers don't.

milanbaros

Member?
Ig heaven is so great surely he would want to go as soon as he body stated hinting at the fact he was out staying his welcome.

Do you think he is scared of death?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I felt terrible last night, The news was on at around five and after some terri schiavo shit they cam on and said the pope was going to have to go back to the hospital, but did not elaborate. I turn to my GF and say "When are they going to remove his feeding tube?" we chuckled.

at the 10 pm news they said one had actually been inserted and I felt like an ass stick.

milanbaros said:
Ig heaven is so great surely he would want to go as soon as he body stated hinting at the fact he was out staying his welcome.

Do you think he is scared of death?

Maybe he doesn't really believe in heaven. :lol

xexex

Banned
I think the Pope himself believes in Heaven. I am not so sure about some of the evil ones around the Pope. maybe they believe in it, but know damn well they are not going there.
hmmmmm :lol

xexex

Banned
Incognito said:
Hey! I have a feeding tube, too! Where is my media coverage????!!11?!

do you live in the city, or the rich white suburbs ? that's how many things are decided as far as importance :lol

Iceman

Albeit I have a fuzzy memory about it, but I don't remember Volusia county being a rich white suburb when I lived there (DeLand, FL).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Although you could possible quibble over the sharpness of his mind, the Pope is not dead yet by any means. Feeding tube in this case is nowhere near the feeding tube for Schiavo.

Sorry, just felt the need to state the obvious. Carry on.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I had a dream that the Pope had died about a week or so ago. Wasn't going to say anything because I would be laughed and ridiculed like the boy with pimples of old school yard tales! But most of the shit I dream about and can remember usually comes true, so I guess I'll just warn you guys to expect the worst for those that are religious.

fallout

Eh? It's not keeping him alive, it's just an aid to make sure that he's getting a higher calorie intake. It says that right in the first two paragraphs or so of the article. I guess you're allowed to call bullshit on it, but I don't think it's a terribly uncommon medical practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom