• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Power of the Cloud" - what happened?

adelante

I'm a bit mystified by the criticisms of this ITT.

It's an excellent technical accomplishment and MS deserve kudos for this work - I have no doubt that this will also spur similar development at companies like AWS and Google as the kind of compute offloading this demonstrates has applications far wider and more lucrative than the gaming sphere.

The final proof of sucess will be when it goes live into people's homes, and of course there are still question marks over how this would be supported on a game with poor sales that made use of this technique - but that doesn't for one second take away from the technical accomplishment of this demo, and I'm more than happy to eat some crow on this subject as I was very cynical about how this could be done.

Yeah I'm skeptical with regards to how this will all work in the finished product. But I can understand why some people fail to see this as a technical accomplishment. Sure, to them, the destruction physics have improved but not by orders of magnitude better than what was achievable in previous gen. Subtle visual effects like how the debris all interact with one other, which I can imagine take a LOT of processing power especially given the scale of Crackdown, are lost on them.

Alx

"cloud" always bothered me. I was like..."Duh? Lots of things use online storage for things? Dropbox, steam saves?" aaaaaah marketing >: >: >?:

That's because you're limiting the definition to cloud storage, while "cloud" covers much more than that. It's actually a catch-all term that is more or less equivalent to the previous catch-all "online", except it stresses out that modern online services are more available, sharable, scalable etc.
Sure it's a buzzword, but it's a real and important phenomenon nevertheless. "The cloud" changed the way we listen to music, watch movies, track our fitness activities, write and share documents, book a taxi, organize our tasks,... and also process data.
Cloud services are becoming a bigger market than OS and regular software, and it's no accident that the new CEO of Microsoft comes from that field.

kyser73

Cloud computing is just distributed server side computing. There is nothing that PC or PS4 could not take advantage of in a similar fashion.

Yes, Sony could do this, if they saw the benefit. They wouldn't even have to use Azure, which is just one of the cloud infrastructures. Amazon has at least as robust system in place, and Google is probably in the same ballpark.

The question is rather if they should do this. Is there enough there to benefit the gameplay to justify the costs? This is not free for Microsoft, either, but they have unused computing capacity, so we are probably only talking about a negligible opportunity cost. But I highly doubt that MS is growing their computing capacity just to give it away to game developers for free. It's not probably even that much cheaper than running everything at Amazon Web Services.

AWS or GCC would probably be a step up from the patchwork of Sony's current CDN partners...

Also - that Dilbert cartoon cracked me up.

GavinGT

Banned
I was skeptical of "The Cloud" at first but the Crackdown video was really impressive and I'm now a believer of the tech. I really hope its successful! And I really hope Sony adopts the tech!

My only concern (lol) is what happens to a game when the servers shut down? I really wish developers could figure out a reliable way to preserve video games long term.

The cloud-based destruction in Crackdown is apparently only for multiplayer. What happens when the servers get shut down is the same thing that happens when any other game's servers get shut down.

Trup1aya

I liked the crackdown pre-alpha video as much as the next guy but that is not a leap over anything we've ever seen in love (live?/realtime) physics. We have had realtime physics done locally with more objects tracked in an Nvidia gtx 680 demo. That was done at the same framerate locally in 2013 and the objects fragment more.

https://youtu.be/O04ErnJ8USY

Until we see an actual game beyond pre alpha footage what that person posted isn't concern trolling it's calling the pre-alpha footage rough and showing no gameplay mechanics beyond the person running past/around exploding buildings that's a fair assessment. I'm excited at the possibilities but the overly sensitive posts trying to call that concern trolling only prove his/her point.

What game is that? What console?

Oh yeah...

Pre-alpha footage of an actual game in development . To be release to retail vs a standalone tech demo... Not to mention the nvidia video (which is pretty sick btw) doesn't even have physically built structures of various material that collapse under dynamic stresses... the geometry simply crumbles...

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The cloud-based destruction in Crackdown is apparently only for multiplayer. What happens when the servers get shut down is the same thing that happens when any other game's servers get shut down.

It's not quite the same situation though, is it? There aren't going to be a number of servers designated as Crackdown servers. Your system will request resources from Azure as a whole. I have no idea how long games using Azure will be supported but I would imagine it's more likely to be persistent than history would have us believe.

That's my understanding anyway. I'm not worried about long term support, much as I wasn't with Titanfall but I can understand that it's a concern for some people.

adelante

I liked the crackdown pre-alpha video as much as the next guy but that is not a leap over anything we've ever seen in love (live?/realtime) physics. We have had realtime physics done locally with more objects tracked in an Nvidia gtx 680 demo. That was done at the same framerate locally in 2013 and the objects fragment more.

https://youtu.be/O04ErnJ8USY

You're assuming the XboxOne gpu can handle that AND render other assets expected in a Crackdown openworld game. Also bear in mind, the tall skyscraper that was brought down in the demo is also traversable environment, each floor being accessible to the player... we don't know what the level of interactivity of the building model offers in that Nvidia tech showcase other than being a destructible centrepiece.

Trup1aya

Yeah I'm skeptical with regards to how this will all work in the finished product. But I can understand why some people fail to see this as a technical accomplishment. Sure, to them, the destruction physics have improved but not by orders of magnitude better than what was achievable in previous gen. Subtle visual effects like how the debris all interact with one other, which I can imagine take a LOT of processing power especially given the scale of Crackdown, are lost on them.

You're giving folks too much credit.... This stuff isn't 'lost' on anyone... Not the gaming enthusiasts who would frequent this site... Every last one of them knows they've never seen an entire city block being demolished so convincingly in real-time. And they also know that this feat it orders of magnitude more complex than knocking down a shed in a barren wasteland on last gen hardware...

This was all PR bullshit talk for people to swallow. I remember when they told that all this AI units in Titanfall was only possible thanks to cloud. Like really? Stupid ass bots only possible thanks to cloud? And what about 360 version? Bots are here as well without your cloud shit.

A friend I usually see at work also tried to convince me once that x1 was infinitely powerfull thanks to the cloud. And I'm not even gonna talk about ping between server and internal resources usage lol.

Trup1aya

Anyone in this thread with technical knowledge of how this technically works?

I imagine they have data optimization end-to-end that allows them to send very, very small pieces of data to servers that calculate the results of the data (maybe just an X,Y,Z coordinate + type of impact, or a series if it's a laser or whatnot), compact it to a similarly small piece of data and send it back, then the XOne has some sort of built-in amazing decompression that streams the results into the game.

Or I'm 100% not even on the right track.

There's no streaming being done. Physics calculations are being done on a remote machine, then the results of that calculation are sent to your console...

Think of a typical P2P multiplayer game of battlefield... You tell the host that you shot a wall. The host machine (which is simply some other guys xb1 running the same game) calculates what should happen to that wall, then sends the result of that calculation to your machine, and every other machine in the match. Your machine then renders the scene based on the info received from the host.

With Crackdown that host is replaced by several Virtual servers, that each have more compute pwr than an individual xb1 and they are fully dedicated to your game session.. Now when you tell the "host" that you shot a wall, it can handle doing a much more complex calculation.

Trup1aya

This was all PR bullshit talk for people to swallow. I remember when they told that all this AI units in Titanfall was only possible thanks to cloud. Like really? Stupid ass bots only possible thanks to cloud? And what about 360 version? Bots are here as well without your cloud shit.

A friend I usually see at work also tried to convince me once that x1 was infinitely powerfull thanks to the cloud. And I'm not even gonna talk about ping between server and internal resources usage lol.

The 360 version of Titan fall also uses the cloud for AI, bruh...

c0de

You call such a guy a friend? Pffff....

The 360 version of Titan fall also uses the cloud for AI, bruh...

Well that would explain everything
78461df461032b2196b89ac72bd42909.jpg

GavinGT

Banned
It's not quite the same situation though, is it? There aren't going to be a number of servers designated as Crackdown servers. Your system will request resources from Azure as a whole. I have no idea how long games using Azure will be supported but I would imagine it's more likely to be persistent than history would have us believe.

That's my understanding anyway. I'm not worried about long term support, much as I wasn't with Titanfall but I can understand that it's a concern for some people.

We'll have to wait and see what MS does as these games get older. But it does sound reasonable that they could just keep them going indefinitely.

Kikorin

I think what they shown is impressive, always dreamed a game where you can destroy about everything. I was a fan of the first Red Faction and I'm pretty excited about Uncha 4 and it's really interactive levels. But now I'm super hyped for this too, honestly I always thinked "the cloud" was some sort of bullshit and we would never see something really using it, but luckily wasn't a lie.

HanselBot

Banned
The destruction is impressive, but is it really "the power of the clouudddddd!!!!", or just that the rest of the game looks a bit last gen graphically as they've pumped everything into the damage modelling?

Honest question.

GavinGT

Banned
The destruction is impressive, but is it really "the power of the clouudddddd!!!!", or just that the rest of the game looks a bit last gen graphically as they've pumped everything into the damage modelling?

Honest question.

Are you asking if they're lying when they show the on-screen indicators telling you how many cloud compute units are in use at any one time?

c0de

Honest question.

"alpha gameplay". They showed us the tech through Crackdown so they had to get at least something running to show the tech. I doubt this will be in any way representative of what CD3 will look like.

HanselBot

Banned
Are you asking if they're lying when they show the on-screen indicators telling you how many cloud compute units are in use at any one time?

Didn't get that far to be honest :D

Probably not no. Probably.

Again it was an honest question, I'd only watched a minute or so of that video just now and first thoughts were that it's just downgraded in one department to improve another. As the guy above says though, perhaps it's just a tech demo. Who knows, not me (we've established that :D).

Yet when I question why Sony did X. People mostly say "good point." When I say "Nintendo has to start doing Y." Mostly people say "worth considering."

Yet when MS releases a demo, like the Crackdown one from yesterday and I say "seems really early, devs deserve more time to polish what I assume is going to be an awesome game." An X-force emerges from a puddle of Rush Limbaugh's stem cells to question my every motivation.

I don't think any fanbase is above or below the rest, and those who try to push such a narrative seem awfully petty to me.

You're giving folks too much credit.... This stuff isn't 'lost' on anyone... Not the gaming enthusiasts who would frequent this site... Every last one of them knows they've never seen an entire city block being demolished so convincingly in real-time. And they also know that this feat it orders of magnitude more complex than knocking down a shed in a barren wasteland on last gen hardware...
I think this is what is so weird for some of us. I will openly admit I have an Xbox and not a ps4. I also game on pc, which means windows 10. So I'm really a Microsoft person all around. That said, I don't purposely bash competitor tech and then defend it even when I'm wrong or something. Like psnow. Cool technology with a poor price plan, but it's a cool idea. VR/AR I personally think is still a novelty and we won't see it in gaming mainstream use for a long time, but I won't crap on what they've done or what they are doing regardless of my console of choice. We should be rewarding competition and innovation. I love 2nd place Microsoft, we are getting a ton of great features and games. You think if Sony was having to work for it this gen, that you would be paying the same amount for Psnow,
Or ea access would only be on xbox? If you do, fine. I don't.

A huge part of the problem is the MS defense force. (Not all MS super fans, but the aggressive minority)

The truth, imo, is partly obscured because any time you question MS in any way, in an Xbox focused thread anywhere on the internet, you get attacked with rheroric like a democrat guesting on Fox News.

I say this as someone who believes you should buy as many platforms as you can afford. Someone who has strong affections for all platforms.

Yet when I question why Sony did X. People mostly say "good point." When I say "Nintendo has to start doing Y." Mostly people say "worth considering."

Yet when MS releases a demo, like the Crackdown one from yesterday and I say "seems really early, devs deserve more time to polish what I assume is going to be an awesome game." An X-force emerges from a puddle of Rush Limbaugh's stem cells to question my every motivation.

Why can't my fandom for MS be tinged with the same healthy skepticism of my fandom for every single other product? Why am I always forced to "take it or leave it?"

That is why this cloud computing thing gets so heated, because as soon as people started saying "how would it work?" The hordes emerged from the shadows telling is how to enjoy our hobby. Naturally people resent his and attack back.

I don't condone it either way, I really just think everything should be an open discussion. The end product will settle it eventually, anyway...but why not discuss it openly and with civility until then?

lol @ this. This whole website should just be called SonyGAF.

shandy706

Didn't get that far to be honest :D

Probably not no. Probably.

Again it was an honest question, I'd only watched a minute or so of that video just now and first thoughts were that it's just downgraded in one department to improve another. As the guy above says though, perhaps it's just a tech demo. Who knows, not me (we've established that :D).

How about watching the entire alpha gameplay video then?..

As for other posts, do people not realize how stupid they look when responding to the original thread title?

It's so funny reading some posts in here. People still sounding and posting totally obliviously.

Dynasty

I want a superman game with this level of destruction. They should release a $20 downloadable title, where you get to play as superman and fight against doomsday, Zod and Supergirl, throughout the city. Would be awesome. The heat vision would actually cut building in half. Would be the 1st good superman game

shandy706

We need a new thread and catchy title, lol.

"Microsoft proves game enhancing Cloud is Real with Crackdown Gameplay"

Then cut video directly to multi color part of CD3 video.

komplanen

If the cloud part of Crackdown 3 works as good in real-life gameplay with varying to delays to the servers and potentially millions of people playing at the same time, I'll eat a whole tub of crow for sure.

As it stands now in a controlled environment the tech looks super exciting but we'll see how it scales into real life.

HanselBot

Banned
How about watching the entire alpha gameplay video then?..

Well mostly just because it's incredibly unlikely I'm ever going to play the game itself, I just wanted to see some of the destruction as that's what this thread is about in a round about sort of a way. I saw some of the destruction right at the start and that was enough. If I thought I might end up with the game down the track I'd have watched the whole thing (or more likely I'd have watched it live the other day).

Alx

As it stands now in a controlled environment the tech looks super exciting but we'll see how it scales into real life.

By the way, I did wonder about the technical conditions of that demo. Had it taken place on the MS campus, I would have assumed that they had a stellar network connection, but I wonder what they got on the showfloor.

goonergaz

TBH MS only have themselves to blame for all the doubts - after the whole Hololens thing (and of course previous 'creative with the truth' moments) some people won't believe it until they see it.

I tend to side with the 'it'll likely work but not as well as advertised' - much like Linect and Hololens.

Zedox

TBH MS only have themselves to blame for all the doubts - after the whole Hololens thing (and of course previous 'creative with the truth' moments) some people won't believe it until they see it.

I tend to side with the 'it'll likely work but not as well as advertised' - much like Linect and Hololens.

Xbox using the Cloud was before Hololens. People doubted it just because that was the high time to bash MS and also people don't understand the cloud unless you are a tech enthusiast (or software developer/tester as I am) who actually tried to understand it and/or work with it.

Hololens is another story as it is not out (just as this isn't out) but from all stories told, the only thing is the FOV. With only developers, enterprise (and probably enthusiast early adopters) getting their hands on it within the next year, the "growing pains of new tech" will be on them, not regular consumers. Also, Hololens does work, just the FOV isn't the same, the hard part, for the most part does. But I won't derail this thread into Hololens talk.

People have just come to be more pessimistic over things that they don't understand. Understandably so but it's not like MS didn't show off this tech (for games) a year ago.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Honest question.

The lack of complexity of the geometry is not enough to offset the cost of physics calculations on tens of thousands of objects, it simply a design choice.

I can make a 10k poly plane in Maya that is peanuts for the computer to process in the viewport but if I apply a complex cloth simulation to it it's gonna bog down my machine.

Three

What game is that? What console?

Oh yeah...

Pre-alpha footage of an actual game in development . To be release to retail vs a standalone tech demo... Not to mention the nvidia video (which is pretty sick btw) doesn't even have physically built structures of various material that collapse under dynamic stresses... the geometry simply crumbles...

Why does it have to be a console? Especially as we are in the early stages of the generation. You said it's a significant leap over anything we've ever seen in love [sic] physics computation. I was merely pointing out that we have had demonstrations of realtime physics that were comparable. That's not to say crackdowns tech isn't great just that we have some amazing realtime physics computation today.

There are several Apex destruction demos out there on PC running in UE3. As the generation matures we may get these 2012-13 demonstrations making their way to the new generation. The last part of your post doesn't make sense btw. The fracture is advanced and more computationally taxing than simple rigid bodies falling. There isn't different materials in crackdown or the nvidia demo, they are rigid bodies. They don't calculate stress/strain because the objects do not deform. The materials are cosmetic not physical in nature oustide of perhaps a different fracture map.

You're assuming the XboxOne gpu can handle that AND render other assets expected in a Crackdown openworld game. Also bear in mind, the tall skyscraper that was brought down in the demo is also traversable environment, each floor being accessible to the player... we don't know what the level of interactivity of the building model offers in that Nvidia tech showcase other than being a destructible centrepiece.
I didn't assume it could be done locally on an xbox one at all even before rendering anything. I was merely pointing out the nvidia demo I linked is done locally. Traversable simply means it has collision detection. The nVidia physics demo has collision detection on all objects. Adding a player would make little difference becuase it is simply another object. All debris have collision detection.There are Unreal engine 3 demos of Apex destruction where the player walks around destroying the buildings with a rocket launcher too and the rigid bodies have player collision detection.

Fletcher

Well mostly just because it's incredibly unlikely I'm ever going to play the game itself, I just wanted to see some of the destruction as that's what this thread is about in a round about sort of a way.

No. This thread is about the power of cloud computing on the Xbone, which that whole demo was about. It doesn't matter if you are planning on purchasing this game or not. This thread isn't about if you want Crackdown. That's a different thread.

HanselBot

Banned
No. This thread is about the power of cloud computing on the Xbone, which that whole demo was about. It doesn't matter if you are planning on purchasing this game or not. This thread isn't about if you want Crackdown. That's a different thread.

If only there were some sort of game that was recently demoed that shows off this technology to enable discussion...

*Cloud enabled rolleyes*

Top Bottom