• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Price Is Right MAFIA edition |OT| Come on down!!!

Thrilling diaries of Kyan.

Mason chat was fun and pain. Fun because I got to shitpost somewhat and because of chocolate ice cream. Pain because Sawneeks interrogated me more than anyone in the thread itself. Really, I first presented my opinions to Sawneeks and then to the thread. Had the extra burden of needing to be extremely careful with what I say and when and how and aaaargh and all from day two to day whatever.

Day three was the 1st time I thought I'd die. Sawneeks thought about revealing the chat and I figured it would be towny to do so. I tried to convince her to let me do it, because the revealer gets the #townpoints. She was not that interested in that and I felt that pushing the matter would make me scummy, so I began to fear my death. Then I wake up on the morning and I see she had hesitated. DAAAAAAAMN. An nth level gambit? Change stances to see how I'd react? If I do not reveal, I am scummy. If I do reveal, I might become a lynch candidate. DAAAAAAAAMN. But then everyone was KILL SAWNEEKS and then the game was about keeping her alive.

The 2nd time I thought I was dead when Sawneeks voted for me. I had no idea what that was and looking back I feel I was too defensive even though it was somewhat warranted. Managed to play it off, maybe somewhat because town had no interest at all what went on in the mason- that is in the Shrödinger's chat.

The cop reveal was [COP RANT] FUCK COPS [/COP RANT]. Unless town would fuck up, the endgame would be pretty close instead of it being a total scum sweep. The game became more unknown at this point and I am happy I got El Topo dead, as I never usually lead lynches. It certainly was out of my comfort zone. But even that was not enough and thanks to my amazing vote record, I felt I could not push for the final needed townie lynch. Instead, I did what I am comfortable with: suspect scum mates and hope town fucks up.

There was no direct fuck up so I gladly attached myself to Kark's theory of CB/CM/Stanley scum team. Thought it was the only way we could win. I fucked up and missed a vote on the day Corn got lynched. That was 3rd time I thought I was dead. Why that was not brought up, I have no idea. Then it was about who I want to the endgame. Oceanic died 1st because I felt his opinion of me and thus his vote was unpredictable. Then it was a pick between Kark and Salva. I picked Kark (because of Love Boat trauma) because he had shown throughout the game that he is not afraid to go against everyone, even himself. The more worrying part was that if he would suddenly flip to think that his initial read about the scum team was wrong, I did not feel I could convince him otherwise. Salva on the other hand had shown no such confidence in his own reads. He had made a big post detailing how he felt Karkador was scum and then some minutes later changed his opinion. Both could change their opinions, but Salva was more likely to not go with the change. That is what I thought at least and yay it worked.

Thankses all, Sophia, other mods, bear for not eating me, goodies, my baddie friends and chocolate ice cream. I already gave my thoughts about the balance in the scum thread and Sophia was very receptive about the ideas so I am sure the next game will be even better.
While I would love to say I would have voted you, I'm not entirely sure I would have. I wasn't as married a Stan lynch as Kark/Salva was but I didn't have as much against you as I did Stan. I will say that I wasn't confident enough to turbo both day phases without some discussion. Your hesistation to lynch Corn set off alarm bells though, along with your "I want to get on the lynch this time". Pretty much any resistance to what I saw as Corn's overt and obvious scumminess, I had little tolerance for.

For myself, I put waaaaay too much emphasis on people that I interact with, which definitely caused me to view you more favorably as compared to Stan. And I do need to be more confident in my own reads and shouldn't have just gone with Kark's list without more thought of my own and override any of my own misgivings I had of you.

But I had a load of fun! I wasn't lynched and got night killed instead so that was new.

nin1000

Banned
tumblr_mht9i0tfB01rpbbg3o1_400.gif

this is pretty much how i woke up this morning.

Damn. This is gold.

Gj again to everyone who made it to the end.
I know how nervewrecking it can be haha.

My condolences though stan. I hope you had at least fun. :)

And of course special thanks to Sophia for creating/running a mafia themed game on the best game show around
even if was sympathetic to the mafia BRING BACK BOB BARKER!

And thanks to all the gamerunners/overseers/reviewers and the rest of the behind the scenes people that made this game possible.

El Topo

By the way, sorry for lynching you Magnum. I hope you had at least some fun. It was nothing personal, I've just become a strict follower of Palmer's 'No mercy for neutrals' philosophy.

Sophia

Props to the mods and overseers for a well-run game. The night actions must have been difficult to juggle.

I sent out at least 200 PMs that game, probably closer to 250... >_>;

The fact that I only made a mistake once actually makes me feel kind of proud.

I accidentally sent melon up twice. Luckily she caught it before any lasting damage was done.

Karkador

Banned
Alright, comments as promised:

- As Town, I think I goofed. I was very aware that we were completely ignoring players that turned out to be scum, but the Mason situation was just too suspicious. Ugh.

- Not letting Stan talk in the end was probably a huge misstep, but I'm sure we were all really eager to finish this long game. I also would have probably not believed him anyway, or at least, it would have been a struggle.

- Flipping nin as Town was the wakeup call that Town was DROWNiNG, and might never flip scum ourselves. Damn that felt hopeless.

- I badly wanted to say something about melonrabbit healing Sketch and making a false result, but I was afraid of derailing the game with something that didn't quite make sense to me- especially when alignments were unsure.

- Kyan played me, no doubt about it. I usually walk away groaning about scummers, but I gotta hand it to Kyan for a very well-measured performance. I almost got you in the end, but the pattern broke. Well played.

Karkador

Banned
Game design comments:

- I had fun, and we got an exciting ending, so let's start with that.

- The item giveaway was a good marriage of theme and mechanics. Winning a prize seemed really special, to the resentment of others. I liked that drama.

- However, the prizes going to either alignment made PR info frustratingly unreliable. You pretty much had no choice but to believe a role claim was real, but instead consider the matrix of possible outcomes if a power is town or scum.

- I think we should have all been told exactly how the night bid works, as it left too much room for speculation - and even being picked for the bid didn't really answer all those questions.

- I get that you wanted to be vague about prize names and their PR function, but the reasoning seemed inconsistent. Xbox&controllers and trip abroad seemed fitting, BBQ and surfboards were definitely not.

- I didn't win a prize? Shenanigans.

Sophia

Definitely agree with your points there, Kark. I really enjoyed the Day 1 speculation, but by the time Day 3 came around it was very apparent that town didn't have enough information.

In the earlier version of the setup, there was actually an additional PM that more accurately explained the setup. However I realized the sheer absurdity that would come by adding an additional 50+ PMs to the game setup, so I took that information and incorporated it into the bidding PMs instead. Perhaps it should have been put into the opening post, but I didn't want to mess with the setup too much after we had started.

There were two powers that were alignment based however. The Weak Cop and the Motion Detector actually switched roles (to a Strongman shot and Godfather item respectively) when obtained by scum. It never came up in gameplay either, but had the former item been stolen by Magnum, it would have became 1-Shot BP for him.

Sorian

Banned
By the way, sorry for lynching you Magnum. I hope you had at least some fun. It was nothing personal, I've just become a strict follower of Palmer's 'No mercy for neutrals' philosophy.

I believe the holy Friend to Neutrals has to make his return.

*Splinter

Game balance was I think a bit swingy, due to the bidding. Might have been better to have the main roles in play from the start and additional roles/modifiers as bidding prizes.

Obviously that dilutes the main mechanic though, so I can understand going with the more bid-reliant game we had here, and I don't think it worked out badly, balance-wise.

Performance-wise on the other hand...

J/K

Think town's only big mistake was lynching Blarg on Day 1, and letting me get away with it (shoulda lynched WAMD...). After that there was just a few too many scummy townies, along with little role info, making scumhunting difficult.

BTW I did make the same slip I was accusing WAMD of, forgetting that Christina hadn't revealed. Thanks CM for covering me after that, when I died my biggest fear was that someone would spot it, but we got away with it.

Top Bottom